PDA

View Full Version : How would your rank your own 9/10-ball skill level?

weakfingers
11-21-2012, 06:47 AM
Just curious: it'd be interesting to see how the shooters on AZ fall under these ranking categories... I figured a poll would be better so not everyone has to post what they think! Personally, I've only been shooting for a little over two years and I'm breaking through into the 'B' range, understanding position and able to string two racks together occasionally, but still not so great with other aspects of my game!

Use the following criteria to "rate" yourself:

10-2 A+ Top professional. World class player. Capable of winning major professional tournaments. Almost always finishes in the money in any tournament entered.

10-1 A Professional, or player possessing professional skills. Capable of winning local open tournaments. Usually finishes in the money in regional tournaments.

10 A- Semi-pro, or player possessing professional skills. Capable of winning or placing high in the money in local open tournaments.

9 B+ Advanced. Very good position play, strategy and consistency. Top league player. Consistent competitor in local open tournaments.

8 B Advanced. Good position play, strategy and consistency. Good league player. Competitive in local open tournaments.

7 B- Intermediate. Fair amount of knowledge and experience, but inconsistent in execution. Average league player.

6 C+ Intermediate. Has learned quite a few shots, but has a lot to learn about position play and strategy. Inconsistent.

5 C Novice. Has a grasp of the fundamentals, but does not know much about the physics of the game. Lower-level league player.

4 C- Novice. Very basic knowledge of the fundamentals. Knows almost nothing about position play. Lowest-level tournament player.

3 D+ Novice. Knows little about the fundamentals, but might know a couple of shots. Average social player.

2 D Novice. May not know anything about the fundamentals or making shots. Non-competitive.

1 D- Novice. Knows nothing about the game except maybe a few rules of play.

swisslife77
11-21-2012, 07:37 AM
According your scale, I would say B here!
Looking for B+

Finishing top 10 in local opens ( 15-45 players)
Never won a major, but can compete with anybody in my country!
Say that country is small( Switzerland) 7 million people and just 160 "players" that constantly compete for titles.
First in ranking is also European n 1 Jungo!
But of course, can't win against him! ;-)

Here btw I feel medium-average player, nothing special and little chances to win majors.....so far!

cardiac kid
11-21-2012, 07:57 AM
My guess is A-. Some of the people I've bested called me an A+. From time to time I've also played like a B or less. Think you missed one category though. Where is "Banger"? Been accused of that as well :eek:!

Lyn

justadub
11-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Using your criteria, I would be B-, since I'm an average league player around here.

Somehow, I expect that I don't measure that high, in reality.

Pete
11-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Just curious: it'd be interesting to see how the shooters on AZ fall under these ranking categories... I figured a poll would be better so not everyone has to post what they think! Personally, I've only been shooting for a little over two years and I'm breaking through into the 'B' range, understanding position and able to string two racks together occasionally, but still not so great with other aspects of my game!

Use the following criteria to "rate" yourself:

10-2 A+ Top professional. World class player. Capable of winning major professional tournaments. Almost always finishes in the money in any tournament entered.

10-1 A Professional, or player possessing professional skills. Capable of winning local open tournaments. Usually finishes in the money in regional tournaments.

10 A- Semi-pro, or player possessing professional skills. Capable of winning or placing high in the money in local open tournaments.

9 B+ Advanced. Very good position play, strategy and consistency. Top league player. Consistent competitor in local open tournaments.

8 B Advanced. Good position play, strategy and consistency. Good league player. Competitive in local open tournaments.

7 B- Intermediate. Fair amount of knowledge and experience, but inconsistent in execution. Average league player.

6 C+ Intermediate. Has learned quite a few shots, but has a lot to learn about position play and strategy. Inconsistent.

5 C Novice. Has a grasp of the fundamentals, but does not know much about the physics of the game. Lower-level league player.

4 C- Novice. Very basic knowledge of the fundamentals. Knows almost nothing about position play. Lowest-level tournament player.

3 D+ Novice. Knows little about the fundamentals, but might know a couple of shots. Average social player.

2 D Novice. May not know anything about the fundamentals or making shots. Non-competitive.

1 D- Novice. Knows nothing about the game except maybe a few rules of play.

Guess I should have read before my vote. Between B- to B (on the weak side.

I go by this moreso:

In a 9-Ball Tournament race to 7

Dec.1997 "All About Pool" magazine, article by Bob Cambell
Handicap rankings

D- Player
-will not run a rack
-average run is about 3 balls
-with ball in hand, will get out from the 7, one out of 3 times
-rarely plays a successful safe

C-Player
-will probably run one rack, but usually not more than one
-avg. run is 3 to 5 balls
-with ball in hand, will get out from the 7, two out of 3 times
-mixed results when playing safe
-inning ends due to botched position, missed shot or attempting a safe.

B-Player
-Able to run 1 to 3 racks
-avg. run is 5-7 balls
-with ball in hand will get out from the 5, 2 out of 3 times
-most of the time a "B" player will play a "safety" which maybe hit easily 2 out of 3 times
-a typical inning will end with a missed shot, a fair safety, or a won game

A-Player
-will string 2 to 3 racks
-avg. ball run, 7-9
-with ball in hand, will be out from the 3 ball, 2 out of 3 times
-typical inning will end with a well executed safety or a win.

OPEN-Players
-average 8+ balls
-string racks together more than once in a match
-is a threat to run out from every ball, from every position, every inning
-typical inning will end in excellent safety or win

Me on an average night a good C , on a great night I hit mid B range

bdorman
11-21-2012, 08:47 AM
According to Bob Campbell's Handicap ranking I'm a C.

C-Player

On your poll list I'm a B-.

Matt
11-21-2012, 08:47 AM

I go by this moreso:

Handicap rankings

D- Player
-will not run a rack

C-Player

B-Player
-avg. run is 5-7 balls
-most of the time a "B" player will play a "safety" which maybe hit easily 2 out of 3 times

A-Player
-avg. ball run, 7-9

OPEN-Players
-average 8+ balls

I made the same mistake (answering the poll without reading the rating scale). On the scale used for this poll, I'm probably somewhere in the B range rather than A-, because I definitely don't consider myself "semi-pro". I bet we're not the only ones, so the poll results may be skewed a bit on the high side. Around here, I would get beat fairly soundly in an open tournament, but I haven't seen one of those in a while. Most of the tournaments here are handicapped, and the scale usually goes from C on up. I think the GSBT goes to AA, but I've seen a tournament go as high as AAAA (Earl). On that scale, I'm a good B or weak A player.

weakfingers
11-21-2012, 10:06 AM
The rating systems are usually pretty odd... I've seen a lot where the hurdle from "C+" to "B" was very big, and some people never really get past it.

RunoutJJ
11-21-2012, 10:30 AM
I have a question for you.... Since you know me and my game what would you have me rated?? I think most think they play better than they do so I am curios. Don't worry I won't take offense to what you say :cool:

weakfingers
11-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Hey JJ...

According to the description and what I've seen I'd put you right in at B+, but based off of what you've said, your knowledge of the game, and where you've been, I'd say you're right between that B+/A- range, just have to work hard to be that consistent "semi-pro" :)

RunoutJJ
11-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Ahaha very good! I polled as a -A so you're right on the money especially since I don't play that much anymore. If I didn't work two jobs, have 4 kids, 2 car payments and CC bills I could devote more time to be an -A. Tbh with everything going on I don't mind at all being a solid +B :)

TheThaiger
11-21-2012, 04:05 PM

I go by this moreso:

Handicap rankings

D- Player
-will not run a rack

C-Player

B-Player
-avg. run is 5-7 balls

A-Player
-avg. ball run, 7-9

OPEN-Players
-average 8+ balls

I'd say that classification is fairly tough.

prad
11-21-2012, 04:20 PM
I really think that there should be a separate section in forums for these "poll" types of threads.. there are so many of 'em, and most of the time they serve no real useful purpose. (no offense to OP).

Ralph Kramden
11-21-2012, 04:28 PM
The rating systems are usually pretty odd...

Usually my skill level depends on who I'm playing.

Underclocked
11-21-2012, 04:33 PM
At this point in my life, unpredictably from B- to an A on any given day. ;)

scsuxci
11-21-2012, 05:08 PM
A- most of the time.I find even if I don't play for a few months
I can give most top level players a hard time.I've always
tryed to be a grinder.

LHP5
11-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Well I'm all over the board here. Some nights I can get out from anywhere and maybe string a rack or two. On others I'm a 4-5 ball inning player. Consistency is a *****.

real bartram
11-21-2012, 09:06 PM
tryed to be a grinder.

on a good day im a good c .

PaulieB
11-21-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm actually much higher than I posted, but I'm sandbagging. :)

RShellhouse
11-21-2012, 09:30 PM
This poll is incomplete...

There is no selection for

I suck

3RAILKICK
11-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Depends on which me shows up.

Ranges from D-ish to B-ish.

It's a bumpy ride. It's a humbling game. Keeps things fun and frustrating.

wait-Bartrum's a C? Change mine-I'm a K-ish.

real bartram
11-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Depends on which me shows up.

Ranges from D-ish to B-ish.

It's a bumpy ride. It's a humbling game. Keeps things fun and frustrating.

wait-Bartrum's a C? Change mine-I'm a K-ish.

haahaha
i thought it was funny how many on here are a players.

Masayoshi
11-21-2012, 10:47 PM
I voted A because I voted before I read your criteria, but I wouldn't call myself profesional even though I have won local open tournaments...Nor would I call others with the capability to win local open tournaments professional. I think the cut off for professional is the ability to win regional tournaments and even that is borderline. And the skill gap between your A and A+ is enormous, like If you took the gap between C and A, that would probably be equivalent to the gap you have between A and A+

scsuxci
11-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Ya,thats what I've heard:wink:

Webbs Billiards
11-22-2012, 06:25 PM
A- most days... but on a bad day it goes down hill from there.

Webbs Billiards
11-22-2012, 06:27 PM
tryed to be a grinder.
Same here.

Webbs Billiards
11-22-2012, 06:32 PM
I really think that there should be a separate section in forums for these "poll" types of threads.. there are so many of 'em, and most of the time they serve no real useful purpose. (no offense to OP).
Anything that gets people talking about billiards, on a billiards forum, that doesn't include buying and selling, is the main purpose of a forum. Just like any thread, someone posts their thoughts or questions and other people respond, a poll allows a more specific set of answers, yet still gives others a chance to give feedback.

justadub
11-22-2012, 07:51 PM
haahaha

I always chuckle at that assumption, in any thread here.

I answered B- cuz by the op's scale, I'm average in my league.

In the real world, i'm nowhere near that, I believe. WAY lower.

It's all a matter of scale, I suppose :p

Fatboy
11-22-2012, 09:20 PM
its also a matter of where your at, I been to pool rooms where I was the top player(hard to believe) and I been to rooms where I'm in the bottom 1/3 of the players. so the A,B,C thing can change a bit, unless its defined like it is in some posts on this thread.

What I have noticed over the years is my pattern play and knowledge is getting stronger and stronger, but i'm getting out about as good as I ever did. My break sucks so that slows me way down,

Fatboy
11-22-2012, 09:21 PM

yeah i agree, and happy thanksgiving:smile:

poolhustler
11-23-2012, 12:58 AM

I watched you play a bunch in Vegas couple years ago.

I call BS on your "C" rating.

You're definately at least "B-" playa..... ;)

HereWeGo
11-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Sorry, I'm going to need more letters of the alphabet.

JB Cases
11-23-2012, 04:59 AM
I think that possibly as you get closer to the top the skill level is not incrementally better it's exponentially better.

To understand that you have to understand that an A player isn't just better at a few things, he is better at all things in a deeper way than a B player. And a top pro is better still in an all around way.

At least that's my view on it. It's easy for a player to run a couple racks and think that they are not far away from the pro level. But in fact I think that IF one were to really and deeply analyze the play shot for shot that it would be clear that the difference between a C-player and a B-player isn't that great but between an A-player and a Top pro is pretty significant.

Of course one could simply take Pat Fleming's statistic system and start scoring recorded matches of amateurs and compare them to pros to see how it shakes out.

Masayoshi
11-23-2012, 05:04 AM
I think that possibly as you get closer to the top the skill level is not incrementally better it's exponentially better.

To understand that you have to understand that an A player isn't just better at a few things, he is better at all things in a deeper way than a B player. And a top pro is better still in an all around way.

At least that's my view on it. It's easy for a player to run a couple racks and think that they are not far away from the pro level. But in fact I think that IF one were to really and deeply analyze the play shot for shot that it would be clear that the difference between a C-player and a B-player isn't that great but between an A-player and a Top pro is pretty significant.

Of course one could simply take Pat Fleming's statistic system and start scoring recorded matches of amateurs and compare them to pros to see how it shakes out.
This is true. All you have to do is look at how much weight a B player can give a C player versus how much weight a top pro can give a borderline pro.

RunoutJJ
11-23-2012, 05:16 AM
I think the best way to rate anybody is using AccuStats system. I've done it and it was very humbling to say the least :sorry:

weakfingers
11-23-2012, 05:33 AM
JB that's a great point. I don't necessarily think "exponentially" better but much better for sure. The difference between a B player and C player, to me, is knowledge of the game, lines, etc and basic execution. An A player has consistency, but I think top pros have the best consistency and decision making. Safety play is where I see it matters most in top pros.

oldplayer
11-23-2012, 05:43 AM
what "underclocked" said X2

TheThaiger
11-23-2012, 05:43 AM
There's also a big difference between "skill" level and "execution" level. There are many skillful players who are easy to beat, and many limited players who are difficult to beat.

Brozif
11-23-2012, 05:51 AM
I estimate my skill level to be at the B+ level IN MY LOCAL AREA. That would be much lower depending on what part of the country I'm competing in.

I know I'm one of the top league players in my area, but it seems even if I'm playing well, I'm still always finishing between 17th and 33rd at Nationals. One of the reasons is that our local leagues are played on bar boxes and A LOT of other leagues play on the 9 footers. The difference between the top players on those particular tables is quite significant. At least that's what I think.

measureman
11-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Using your rating system I would be a B+.
Here in Colorado the system is a little different.
Pro
AAA
AA
A
B
c
Here when I play in tournaments I play as an AA.Some have said I am a low AAA.It's all very subjective.
But I have offered the ghost the 8 and the break in 9 ball but he must be scared because he never plays.

cardiac kid
11-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Using your rating system I would be a B+.
Here in Colorado the system is a little different.
Pro
AAA
AA
A
B
c
Here when I play in tournaments I play as an AA.Some have said I am a low AAA.It's all very subjective.
But I have offered the ghost the 8 and the break in 9 ball but he must be scared because he never plays.

Interesting how different areas rate players. In Vegas I'm rated a 10 with Justin Whitehead, Jeff Schilder and Walter Glass as 11's. On the CNY Tour, my last year playing they had me as a AAA with Dave Grau and Dan Heidrich as AAAA. In Buffalo I'm a 12 with Dennis as a 15 (I think). Which brings me back to a point I've made several times. Who is a "pro" player and what defines one?

Lyn

FastManners
11-23-2012, 09:24 AM
haahaha
Yep, I voted before I read the classifications. I would put myself more in the B+ range otherwise.