PDA

View Full Version : Hitting rail on break

rjtolly
11-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Anyone else have problems with friend(s) inadvertently hitting the rail when breaking? A couple friends where over the other night and the next day I noticed several bad scratches on the head rail. They both were breaking from the same area so I'm not sure who did it. (Although I have my suspicions - the one breaking with an open bridge?) Both have played on my table before and there were already some light scratches but it really took a beating this time. It's a nice cherry Olhausen and it makes me sick to see those scratches. Is this not that uncommon and I'm just being too fussy?

63Kcode
11-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Welcome to the forum!

That would be a problem. I can only imagine what the cue looks like after being beat on the rail. I think it's time to give your friends some instruction. If that doesnt work. Find some new playing partners.

Larry

Neil
11-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Anyone else have problems with friend(s) inadvertently hitting the rail when breaking? A couple friends where over the other night and the next day I noticed several bad scratches on the head rail. They both were breaking from the same area so I'm not sure who did it. (Although I have my suspicions - the one breaking with an open bridge?) Both have played on my table before and there were already some light scratches but it really took a beating this time. It's a nice cherry Olhausen and it makes me sick to see those scratches. Is this not that uncommon and I'm just being too fussy?

Next time you see them, look at their cue. It should have a larger scratch in it if the cue did it. I suspect one of them was wearing a large ring that caught the table.

Tramp Steamer
11-21-2012, 08:11 AM
Believe it or not, adult beverages will sometimes cause scratches.
Welcome to the forum, by-the-way. You got here at just the right time. Later this afternoon we're all getting on the bus and going to the Museum of Thanksgiving. They have a diorama there depicting a bunch of Pilgrims playing pool with some Indians.
We'll have cookies and kool-aid when we get back. :smile:

peteypooldude
11-21-2012, 08:15 AM
IMO that could go either way . If you got the table to play on then sh1ts going to happen. I would call them and let them know some idiot scratched the table... Should get the point across and now you know what to look for
Welcome to the forums

rjtolly
11-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. I make them use my 18 oz. house cue for breaking and surprisingly there are no scratches on it. The ring is an interesting theory but I don't think either wears one. The scratches are definitely happening on the break. I don't let anyone break by resting the cue on the rail either because they warned me about that when the table was set up. So it sounds like it's not a common problem?

Bob Jewett
11-21-2012, 09:15 AM
... I don't let anyone break by resting the cue on the rail either because they warned me about that when the table was set up. ...
This is just plain broken. If the finish on the wood is such that you can't play the game properly -- including an on-the-rail bridge -- then the finish is wrong. The scratches are the fault of the table.

If I wanted to keep the table, I'd start by asking the installers if they had a solution. If not, I'd ask someone who finishes wood for a living what the possibilities are. Or, I'd live with the scratches.

A different solution is to only play one pocket and straight pool.

peteypooldude
11-21-2012, 09:21 AM
This is just plain broken. If the finish on the wood is such that you can't play the game properly -- including an on-the-rail bridge -- then the finish is wrong. The scratches are the fault of the table.

If I wanted to keep the table, I'd start by asking the installers if they had a solution. If not, I'd ask someone who finishes wood for a living what the possibilities are. Or, I'd live with the scratches.

That's the way I see it also
Not much fun in having a table you can't play all games on.

Black-Balled
11-21-2012, 09:30 AM

I agree...the manufacturer is to blame for making the rail tops of butter.

And I understand the frustration with scratches- I have a black GC4 and the tops have 57886344578 tiny scratches on them, I don't like it!

SpiderWebComm
11-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Trust me when I say this---- if you play with any level of frequency and intensity, you WILL get scratches. A perfect-looking table that looks like it never gets played on has no character, imo. It's like having a piano that never gets played or a coffee table that NEVER had a cup of coffee sit on it.

I never understood the whole "break pad" thing to keep those white burn marks from forming on the cloth. Tables are meant to be played on and incidental marks/scratches add something to the look/feel of a table, imo.

I think if you're worried about scratches, you'll play on it such a way to not scuff the table -- which is stupid. PLAY on it. The table can take it :)

It's like buying a new car--- the first scratch is a little depressing, but you WILL get scratches and dings after thousands of miles. Like your car, it's part of "table" ownership. Don't be mad at your friends, be happy they had a good time and played on your table the way it's meant to be played on.

The Saw
11-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Watch good/pro players break ten ball from the box and you will see scuffs on the end rail... But on a Diamond or Gold Crown the scuffs simply wipe off.

pt109
11-21-2012, 09:54 AM

The problem is buying a 'furniture table'.
If I had to worry about damaging a finish during 'normal' play, I would refuse
to play on that table.
I have certain power follow shots where I actually bounce the fore-arm of
the cue on the rail.

scratchs
11-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Trust me when I say this---- if you play with any level of frequency and intensity, you WILL get scratches. A perfect-looking table that looks like it never gets played on has no character, imo. It's like having a piano that never gets played or a coffee table that NEVER had a cup of coffee sit on it.

I never understood the whole "break pad" thing to keep those white burn marks from forming on the cloth. Tables are meant to be played on and incidental marks/scratches add something to the look/feel of a table, imo.

I think if you're worried about scratches, you'll play on it such a way to not scuff the table -- which is stupid. PLAY on it. The table can take it :)

It's like buying a new car--- the first scratch is a little depressing, but you WILL get scratches and dings after thousands of miles. Like your car, it's part of "table" ownership. Don't be mad at your friends, be happy they had a good time and played on your table the way it's meant to be played on.

Good advice..I've a few worn spots..two..center head rail..an one on the long rail
from nine ball breaking spot..maybe a few others from bridgeing up on the rail.
I've had the table for nine years an still looks new..the cloth..well thats gets changed
once a year..just not this year..most my friends know the house rules..I just tell them..hey if you want a free place to play..take care of what we have..show some
respect..this isn't the bar.Yep..a table is meant to be played on.
I use to let a few jump as well..until they didn't pitch in on the recover
costs..some feel intitled..or their just that self centeref..either way I say what
needs to be said..an move on..whoops..I went on a roll..
Have a nice Thanksgiving.

purpdrag
11-21-2012, 10:39 AM
I'll add a few comments.

I don't like to see my equipment abused but I also agree with those that say it's part of what happens when you actually use and enjoy your table. That said, I would also be annoyed if their doing more damage to your table in a short time than you are doing to it yourself in ten times the amount of play. I break from the right side and others that play on my table break from the left (usually 9-ball). One friend in particular seems to make as much scuff marks in the cloth in 10 breaks as I do on my side in 200. I don't really let it bother me though. Glad to have friends over enjoying the table.

I will say something that does bother me a bit but I haven't yet managed to change my breaking style enough to stop it. I have a GC1 and I notice black scuff marks right around the joint on my break cue after breaking several times. No effect on the table and they rub right off with a cloth or paper towel. It's coming from the black rubber (or plastic) around the back of the corner pocket. I'm dropping my cue down during the followthrough and rubbing it across the top of that pocket liner.

Again, no permanent damage to table or cue but I wish it didn't happen and I'm going to try to start concentrating on following through with a more level or even slightly downward stroke, to keep the back end of the cue from dropping down and scraping the pocket. Maybe it will even help my consistency. If it screws up my break too much I'll just go back to the old way.

Another note regarding balancing protecting the table against enjoying the table. I'm actually quite diligent about buying quality things and then taking good care of them so they last a very long time. BUT ... I want to encourage new players to take up pool. So I've had neighbors and friends that were shocked because I let kids play on the pool table. I even let my baby daughter and young nephew crawl and walk around on top of the table banging balls around and dropping them in the pockets. At first I didn't allow that but I've given in and I figure let them enjoy themselves and enjoy the pool table and the only downside (that I can see) is that I have to vacuum the cloth more often and will have to replace the cloth more often. I figure get them interested early and someday they might be pool players that will make me proud.

Edit: Also, I allow jump shots whenever it comes up in the regular course of play, but when my friend asked if he could try practicing his jump shot over and over I said "No. Sorry, you'll need to go to the bar for that." As most of you know, it does leave a wear mark in the cloth every time you do a jump shot. Also, my daughter would love to pick up the balls and throw them around, but every time you do that it leaves the same kind of mark, so I "No, no, no" to that and she has learned to just roll them around or drop them in the pockets or else she'll get taken off the table. For the same reason, it's not good to throw the balls up on the table when bringing them out for racking them up at the beginning of each game.

seven_7days
11-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Interesting how we share a common problem and yet so very different
...'cause I always scratch on the break.

real bartram
11-21-2012, 10:48 AM

i hit the rail everytime i break from the box.

rjtolly
11-21-2012, 11:57 AM
I really appreciate all your comments. Many good points and different opinions on this. I want my friends to have fun and enjoy playing so I've got to accept that scratches are going to happen and it will just be part of the table's character. I agree that a table should be able to take some abuse and it does bother me that my Dufferin house cue can take it but the table can't - so I'll blame the manufacturer, not my friends. I did buy the table partly as furniture since it is in my dining room but that is not a good excuse to be so anal about it. If it becomes apparent who is doing it though I think I will still gently say something about it but not make a big deal of it. So much damage should just not happen in one evening.
Thanks again. I did not expect so much feedback on this but it does help me get my head straight about it.

Bob Jewett
11-21-2012, 12:08 PM
I really appreciate all your comments. Many good points and different opinions on this. I want my friends to have fun and enjoy playing so I've got to accept that scratches are going to happen and it will just be part of the table's character. ...
Here's a solution: put a towel on the rail under the break cue.

John Brumback
11-21-2012, 12:41 PM
I think alot of good players hit the rail with the cue when their coming down to break.

I ended up with the tv table from the 2010 dcc and it had some scuff marks and a few dings in it after the tourney.They wanted to refinish it for
me first and I said nah just bring it on to my house.They told me most of the marks were from Efren's belt buckle.It was white my and my table is black.I don't mind them at all.Allready broke in..;) John B.

rjtolly
11-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Good idea to put something under the break cue.

Haha - if Efren was putting the scratches in I wouldn't be complaining - I'd be bragging about it.

dr9ball
11-21-2012, 03:27 PM

Wood is not always that durable. I have been surprised at home many dents belt buckles leave on a pool table with wooden rails where people lean over to take their shots.

clintw
11-21-2012, 07:08 PM
rings, belt buckles and the clips on pocket knives that people wear. They are all harsh on a pool table finish... not to mention the cue sticks hitting them