PDA

View Full Version : At what speed do most decide to hit the road?

Gsitz89
11-21-2012, 09:44 AM
At what playing speed do or did most decide to take their game on the road? C, B, A, AA, AAA. Does it matter if someone knows how to match up? How long does it typically last?

Black-Balled
11-21-2012, 09:47 AM
At what playing speed do or did most decide to take their game on the road? C, B, A, AA, AAA. Does it matter if someone knows how to match up? How long does it typically last?

I think it is a function of the level of play in your area, your bankroll and your (required) responsibility level.

IMO, skill is largely unrelated to whether you will 'make it' on the road, in this day and age. It is all about how you match up.

peteypooldude
11-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Hitting the road is not about ones speed, its how well they match up

peteypooldude
11-21-2012, 10:07 AM
I think it is a function of the level of play in your area, your bankroll and your (required) responsibility level.

IMO, skill is largely unrelated to whether you will 'make it' on the road, in this day and age. It is all about how you match up.

Didn't see your post..
Like your way of thinking though lol

weakfingers
11-21-2012, 10:13 AM
What exactly would it be the 'hit the road'?

Banker1978
11-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Hitting the road is not about ones speed, its how well they match up

Well.. I guess I'm about ready then ;)

nine_ball6970
11-21-2012, 10:27 AM
If you can't beat the ghost, then you can't leave town.

cueman
11-21-2012, 10:28 AM
I know a good B-level player who once went on the road with his cousin Scotty Townsend. He said Scotty would go into the rooms and tell them he was the best and if they didn't believe it to bet something. He said Scotty couldn't get much action, but they wanted to play him thinking he was Scotty's backer and he said he won them a good bit of money.

Banker1978
11-21-2012, 10:31 AM
If you can't beat the ghost, then you can't leave town.

9-ball ghost you mean?

Luther Blissett
11-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Scooby Doo ghost?

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110620190413/scoobydoo/images/f/f0/Beauragards_ghost.jpg

Banker1978
11-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Scooby Doo ghost?

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110620190413/scoobydoo/images/f/f0/Beauragards_ghost.jpg

Yeah, you should definitely hit the road if you beat him.. in the Mystery Machine. :eek:

RunoutJJ
11-21-2012, 11:35 AM
I know a good B-level player who once went on the road with his cousin Scotty Townsend. He said Scotty would go into the rooms and tell them he was the best and if they didn't believe it to bet something. He said Scotty couldn't get much action, but they wanted to play him thinking he was Scotty's backer and he said he won them a good bit of money.

Sounds like the reverse hustle Danny Basavich and Bristol Bob use to pull.

Pushout
11-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Hmmm.....Sounds familiar:rolleyes: Mooncricket, anyone?

evanlockhart
11-21-2012, 11:58 AM

A road player is someone who travels around the country, visiting places of action and hopefully taking all of the cheese.

joe76195
11-21-2012, 12:06 PM
If you are the stranger, you will be giving weight, but almost never getting any. You have to be at least an "A" player.

mrmagoo42
11-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Never played on the road but always imagined it would go like this. Plan a round trip to no certain destination while on the outbound side match up along the way with your B game dropping a few coins along the way to see what speed your up against. Then when your game has improved turn around, match up right and come home with a pocket full.

measureman
11-21-2012, 01:44 PM
when I hit the road I always try to do the posted speed limit.

richiebalto
11-21-2012, 01:56 PM
If anyone is willing to hit the road they better really know what they are doing, they better have or be a great steer person, stay as safe as possiable, stay sober (i know this is the toughest part) and steady send money home!And yes know how to match up (thats what the steer guy is for) he should know all of this, I believe with out a great steer guy, a person would be hopeless out there!

THE FLASH
11-21-2012, 02:02 PM

anything lower than A and you'll be broke soon.

Tramp Steamer
11-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Hitting the road is what happens when you cheat on your wife, and or, girlfriend. I don't think speed has much to do with it unless, of course, you happen to be riding in her car at the time. :smile:

Drew
11-21-2012, 04:56 PM
At what playing speed do or did most decide to take their game on the road? C, B, A, AA, AAA.

Right about the speed they can't get action at home anymore

Does it matter if someone knows how to match up?

Only if you like money

How long does it typically last?

Til you're broke

CJ Wiley
11-21-2012, 05:36 PM
If anyone is willing to hit the road they better really know what they are doing, they better have or be a great steer person, stay as safe as possiable, stay sober (i know this is the toughest part) and steady send money home!And yes know how to match up (thats what the steer guy is for) he should know all of this, I believe with out a great steer guy, a person would be hopeless out there!

I agree, and the requirements, in my opinion, are even more complex. To go on the road and do well requires as much skill and experience as any professional job. It takes the understanding of EVERY aspect of winning money gambling.

This includes playing, matching up, psychological warfare techniques, hustling, proposition games (giving and taking), communication, networking and finding the "right" steerman. It took me many years to start winning BIG MONEY on the road and I had some of the best teachers on earth. These days with "camera phones," and the internet sites (like this one), it's very challening to remain unknown when you're traveling around, especially if you're an accomplished player.

I recommend you find someone that really knows the "tricks of the trade" and learn as much as possible from them and ideally go {with them} on a short trip to see what you'll be up against in the "real world" of hustling and gambling "on the road."

Read More About Hustling and Gambling AT THIS LINK (http://www.cjwileybilliards.com/about-cj.html)

seven_7days
11-21-2012, 05:58 PM
when I hit the road I always try to do the posted speed limit.

The problem with that is amount of loonies on the road.
So, I suggest getting to your destination as quickly as you can.
If you're averaging around 90mph, you're doing just fine.

You can never be too careful.

swami4u
11-21-2012, 06:37 PM
My answer to the OP question is whenever one grows the nuts too do it. Unless your a total nit-wit and get yourself shot or something, the worst that's going to happen is you get busted. You never been busted? Your not no player.

bbb
11-21-2012, 07:40 PM
#1 i havent read the other replies:embarrassed2:
#2 im not a road player:embarrassed2:
if your plan is to be able to walk into any pool room and beat everybody
you better be a notch below pro
if you plan to beat the giuys in the bars short stop will do (maybe a notch beow)
#3 if you think you are going to walk into a strange pool room
clock everyones speed
and match up great
i hope you have alot of barrels to fire
jmho
icbw

manwon
11-21-2012, 08:03 PM

If you don't know your not ready&&&:)

BeiberLvr
11-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Knowing how to match up is extremely important, but even more so, is knowing how much to bet.

Let's say you start off with a bankroll of $10,000

If you were 50% to win every match you played, then you should always bet an x amount each set. The lower your chances, the smaller you bet, and vice versa.

Also, since you won't know every single person you play, there's always a possibility that you might end up not being as big a favorite as you thought in some games. So it might be best to cap the amount you'll bet until you know for sure. Otherwise you'll end up betting too much as an assumed 80% favorite, and by the time you realize you're actually even money, it's too late.

I think simple calculations like this and proper bankroll management will allow you stay on the road longer and be more successful.

real bartram
11-21-2012, 08:57 PM

kinda right.
but when you go into towns where people dont
know you
you have to be able to beat their best player
and if you can spot him like the 7 then you will
make a score.
if you can give people spots they have never had
then you make scores.
i dont know if anyone can get around unknown now days.

Jaden
11-21-2012, 09:08 PM
kinda right.
but when you go into towns where people dont
know you
you have to be able to beat their best player
and if you can spot him like the 7 then you will
make a score.
if you can give people spots they have never had
then you make scores.
i dont know if anyone can get around unknown now days.

I still go many places where I'm unknown, but that's because I don't typically gamble. If I did gamble I could attempt to hide my game more than I do but I don't know for how long.

I still can rarely go to a place and practice for more than about half an hour before I see people taking my picture and sending it around on their cell, expecting me to start matching up any minute, then the puzzled looks on their faces when I don't try to match up is priceless...

The looks of doubt when I tell people that I don't gamble are priceless too.

Jaden

mortuarymike-nv
11-21-2012, 09:22 PM
It is your life , your choice , your dream.

best of luck because life always has somthing headed your way.:duck:

MMike

mortuarymike-nv
11-21-2012, 09:32 PM
It is your life , your choice , your dream.

best of luck because life always has somthing headed your way.:duck:

doesnt make any difference what speed you think you need to be ,
it is knowing when to win and the ability to do so.

MMike

SUPERSTAR
11-22-2012, 06:08 AM
Having a copy of that handwritten little notebook that had each pool room in each city, and listed who the fish were and how to set them up, vs the tough action and people to stay away from, would help.:D

But heck, half those people are dead, broke, or quit pool.

Plus, now you walk into a pool room, and someone is knocking your action on this very site by starting a WHO IS THIS GUY?? thread.

Not worth it anymore.

Your better off doing whatever, and waiting for the phone call to come in, when someone walks into your home room that wants to match up.

Black-Balled
11-22-2012, 07:49 AM
last time i hit the road, looked a lot like this...but i don't wear no pink (apologies to schmidt and corey!)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_atrK-jBKJKY/SlTF5eNk_MI/AAAAAAAAH_M/kWHH5JywRpE/s400/road+rash.jpg

Montana Mike
11-22-2012, 09:36 PM
You have to play good. No sense hoping you are going to get a spot as an unknown. Best way is to get a good location with games that should be favorable for you then go there and try to win. Going around trying to beat everyone you meet will probably get you broke real quick. It looks to me that the weaker A players are quitting playing or busted so even a decent shortstop is at a big, huge disadvantage trying to make money without a good steer-man.

iusedtoberich
11-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Is this a serious question by the op? I was under the impression "the road" died in the 90's.

Lock N Load
11-23-2012, 12:30 AM

Wow! Is this post for real? I thought everybody knew what hit the road meant in the pool world!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

doitforthegame
11-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Is this a serious question by the op? I was under the impression "the road" died in the 90's.

That's what my question was going to be. I understood there really isn't a "road" anymore. Heck, in New England there are only 6 pool rooms left. Where exactly would "the road" be now?

TheBook
11-25-2012, 04:47 PM
To get a feel about the life and what it takes read the following

Playing Off the Rail by David McCumber

Road Player the Danny Diliberto Story

Cornbread Red

There are a lot of interesting stories, and great reading.

I am sure there are others but those are the only books that I have read about pool and the players.