PDA

View Full Version : Newbie considering purchase of GC I or II

snapdog
11-21-2012, 10:38 AM
We have a local billiards company who sells new and restored pool tables and supplies. They have a couple of GCs, either I or II- the person I talked to wasn't sure- that are currently in pieces. She said they have one 9' and one oversized 8'.

I was able see one part of one of the tables- a leg with apron and rail. I didn't check if there is a leveler on the legs. The apron and leg were white.

At any rate, the owner of the store is planning on removing the painted finish on the apron and legs and staining it similar to the rail (hope I'm using the right terminology). He estimates the final price to be about $4000. After reading this forum this seems on the high side for the age of the table. I am just outside the St. Louis MO area.

I haven't talked to the owner directly to ask additional questions but wanted to check here to see what you thought of the price and what I should expect to have completed for that price. Also, any specific questions I should be asking?

I would like to see all the rails since I've read that the formica can be difficult to fix if damaged.

This table would only be for home use but I like the look of the Gold Crown and also that is has a reputation for being a good table.

Thanks, Valerie

bnall
11-21-2012, 10:40 AM
We have a local billiards company who sells new and restored pool tables and supplies. They have a couple of GCs, either I or II- the person I talked to wasn't sure- that are currently in pieces. She said they have one 9' and one oversized 8'.

I was able see one part of one of the tables- a leg with apron and rail. I didn't check if there is a leveler on the legs. The apron and leg were white.

At any rate, the owner of the store is planning on removing the painted finish on the apron and legs and staining it similar to the rail (hope I'm using the right terminology). He estimates the final price to be about $4000. After reading this forum this seems on the high side for the age of the table. I am just outside the St. Louis MO area.

I haven't talked to the owner directly to ask additional questions but wanted to check here to see what you thought of the price and what I should expect to have completed for that price. Also, any specific questions I should be asking?

I would like to see all the rails since I've read that the formica can be difficult to fix if damaged.

This table would only be for home use but I like the look of the Gold Crown and also that is has a reputation for being a good table.

Thanks, Valerie

For that price I would get a diamond table.

EasyEJL
11-21-2012, 10:44 AM
just looking around quick I seem them varying an awful lot in price but it all depends on whether they are a I or II or III etc as well. Seeing prices from $2000 for a freshly reconditioned 3, to higher than your place is talking about. Granted $250-300 of the price is delivery + setup, that still does sound a bit on the high side.

snapdog
11-21-2012, 10:51 AM
For that price I would get a diamond table.

I do like the Diamond Professional but didn't want to give up on the GC just yet.

Thanks, Valerie

RAMIII
11-21-2012, 10:58 AM
$4K is too high, and when I say too high, I mean that you won't get your money back out of the table if you ever try to sell it. I bought my GC III for $700, cloth and install was another $500, and then I had Real King Cobra "Cobracize" my GC to diamond specs which cost me another $1500. If I had $4k to drop on a single table at one time, I would have bought a diamond, or a Chromed centennial. I do love my GC though, and think it plays better than a diamond now that Glen worked on it.
Overall advice, you'd be better off buying a cheaper GC, and then having Glen come by to work on it. Of course it may take him 1yr to get to you, but he's worth the wait! Ideally you could contact him to set it up for you and cobracize it at the same time. Hell he might even have a GC or two in the back of his truck :)
Or if you really want to spend $4k at one time, then buy a newish diamond (used in tournaments).
Good luck with your search. It's a fun time!

purpdrag
11-21-2012, 11:04 AM
I usually jump in on these threads because I have a GCI and love it.

Still I'd say HELL NO to $4000 for one. You should be able to find one in good to excellent condition on Craigslist for no more than $2000. I paid $1500 for mine and it included about $500 worth of accessories (pool light, two sets of balls, etc.) Pool hall I used to play at sold all theirs off for $900 - $1200 each, but I had mine already.

If you can't find one right away in your area, just be patient or broaden your search area. You'll find one. I wouldn't pay more than $1600 myself. Also, I only buy it if I can try it first. I wouldn't consider the tables that were broken down into pieces. Some tables have funny rolls due to imperfections in the slate and many tables have one or more dead rails for one reason or another. No way to know unless you can bang the balls around a bit. I'll slow roll one down the line of each long rail and down the center to test the curvature and bounce one off each rail looking for dead rails. If the table is cheap enough you could replace all the rails, but if it curves different on one side than it does on the other I don't know how you can level that out.