PDA

View Full Version : Civility in a pool forum. Should we have more of it on AZB?

Lock N Load
11-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Pool players, pool players families, AZB members, friends, and everybody using and being on AZB, the best pool forum in the World! This is about all of the above mentioned people. The best pool related news, the best pool forum, and the best Mods, on the planet! Civility and respect is a good thing to have and use.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

JB Cases
11-23-2012, 03:40 AM
No, the right to call others pedophiles, slave owners, douchebags, thieves, and so on should never be impeded. :-)

Although this sort of behavior is clearly against the rules those rules don't mean anything unless they are enforced, which they selectively are depending on the person who broke them and the mood of the people tasked with enforcing the rules. No one has to be civil in a place where it's not enforced. However being civil is an insurance against the whimsical enforcement. You can't really complain when you accuse a person of being a pedophile if you get banned, kind of like when you speed while driving. Most of the time you won't get caught but once in while you will.

So my new policy is to try very hard to be nice so that I don't put myself into a position to be admonished for breaking the rules. Although a few others regularly flaunt the rules when speaking to me or about me, as I also did to them in the past, I have chosen that I like to be here so being nice is the better course to make sure that happens. Also being nice is simply a better way to live. I don't have to feel guilty or ashamed of anything I said in anger. It's also more of a challenge to find the positive way to get your point across than to take the easy way out and rip someone apart sarcastically.

I have spoken to Mike and Jerry about the moderation here and basically they feel that the balance is pretty much where it should be at the moment. As Jerry said pretty clearly they don't need any more "help" with how to run the forum and I can respect that. They do have bigger projects than this forum. This place is a big part of life for some of us but to them it's a distraction from the much larger picture that they are working on. So that said the civility enforcement is going to remain as it is and that means that the forum is going to be about as "civil" as it's ever been. Which is to say not all that bad. Not kumbaya great but certainly much nicer than a lot of other places.

Overall I am glad this place is here and appreciate it quite a lot. Not only from a business standpoint but also from a social perspective. For me personally AZ keeps me in touch with my pool roots while I live somewhere that has a lot of pool but not a lot of the type of pool culture I grew up with.

Lock N Load
11-23-2012, 06:07 AM
No, the right to call others pedophiles, slave owners, douchebags, thieves, and so on should never be impeded. :-)

Although this sort of behavior is clearly against the rules those rules don't mean anything unless they are enforced, which they selectively are depending on the person who broke them and the mood of the people tasked with enforcing the rules. No one has to be civil in a place where it's not enforced. However being civil is an insurance against the whimsical enforcement. You can't really complain when you accuse a person of being a pedophile if you get banned, kind of like when you speed while driving. Most of the time you won't get caught but once in while you will.

So my new policy is to try very hard to be nice so that I don't put myself into a position to be admonished for breaking the rules. Although a few others regularly flaunt the rules when speaking to me or about me, as I also did to them in the past, I have chosen that I like to be here so being nice is the better course to make sure that happens. Also being nice is simply a better way to live. I don't have to feel guilty or ashamed of anything I said in anger. It's also more of a challenge to find the positive way to get your point across than to take the easy way out and rip someone apart sarcastically.

I have spoken to Mike and Jerry about the moderation here and basically they feel that the balance is pretty much where it should be at the moment. As Jerry said pretty clearly they don't need any more "help" with how to run the forum and I can respect that. They do have bigger projects than this forum. This place is a big part of life for some of us but to them it's a distraction from the much larger picture that they are working on. So that said the civility enforcement is going to remain as it is and that means that the forum is going to be about as "civil" as it's ever been. Which is to say not all that bad. Not kumbaya great but certainly much nicer than a lot of other places.

Overall I am glad this place is here and appreciate it quite a lot. Not only from a business standpoint but also from a social perspective. For me personally AZ keeps me in touch with my pool roots while I live somewhere that has a lot of pool but not a lot of the type of pool culture I grew up with.

What he just said! I can appreciate your post. Thanks.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

richiebalto
11-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Pool players, pool players families, AZB members, friends, and everybody using and being on AZB, the best pool forum in the World! This is about all of the above mentioned people. The best pool related news, the best pool forum, and the best Mods, on the planet! Civility and respect is a good thing to have and use.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

You know Lock we should be civil in everything we do, but i think thats impossiable because some where along the line something will happen that we dont agree with and bam there goes your civility, but there is no reason to disrespect someone or their beleivings just because one mite not agree!Another very good thread, have a great day MR.LOCK!

peteypooldude
11-23-2012, 08:11 AM
I struggle with this very thing on AZ . I love mingling around on the forums but more days than not I have to avoid certain threads and posters. AZ is home to many types of people, some people are so rude that when I read their post I get that wtf??????? Moment and post instead of walking away and leaving it alone. I am the same person on and off the boards, others I really doubt they act that way in person. If they did they would be loners because no one likes an a$$hole. I like real people and not theses fakes that use every opportunity to ruin someone's day. I don't know what they get out of it.
Hope all is well

Tramp Steamer
11-23-2012, 08:24 AM
I agree with JB on this, and I must say that I too have become less confrontational, and more tolerant, having adopted that age old axiom, "If you can't say anything good about someone (or something) then don't say anything at all."
I can remember the Great Aiming Wars, like it was only yesterday. The loss of life was horrendous. I myself lost both arms and both legs so now all I do is play baseball. I'm second base for our local AA team, the Cardinals.
Things are way better now. :smile:

Scaramouche
11-23-2012, 08:26 AM
They lay in wait if you post on a public site.

pt109
11-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Lock, I wouldn't want this forum overly civil.....
..if everybody posted like they were writing a Neil Sedaka song, it would
get too boring....and with all that honey, we'd end up with diabetes.

However, I also see JB's point...it's about crossing a line.
I think the Thaiger and JB debates were a model for disagreeing....
...spirited differences of opinion with a good amount of dissing but nobody
tilted.

To me, a certain amount of profanity adds a little spice, but I'm not too
keen on obscenities ( yes, there is a difference in the two )...if your kid
can't read your posts, I feel you're doing something wrong.

I think AZ does an admirable job...they aren't wardens and they aren't
the kind to look the other way either.
This is the wrong planet to be looking for perfection.

So to improve the forum, it really comes down to each individual...
..if you want it to improve, then do it with your posts; don't wait for
everyone else to shape up, show the way.

"A choice is given...and to each his own...to be a stumbling block...
...or a stepping stone."

AND IF ANYBODY DOESN'T LIKE THIS POST, GET STUFFED.:angry:

regards..<..but not ALL the time
double hemlock

pt109
11-23-2012, 08:42 AM
I agree with JB on this, and I must say that I too have become less confrontational, and more tolerant, having adopted that age old axiom, "If you can't say anything good about someone (or something) then don't say anything at all."
I can remember the Great Aiming Wars, like it was only yesterday. The loss of life was horrendous. I myself lost both arms and both legs so now all I do is play baseball. I'm second base for our local AA team, the Cardinals.
Things are way better now. :smile:

Tramp, I don't want to hear how you're typing this post.:eek::rolleyes:

elvicash
11-23-2012, 09:05 AM
AZ is a digital pool room people act like it is the wild west anything goes but in the wild west if you got out of line you had to be able to defent your actions or words. When civilization came to the west freedoms were exchanged for rules usually enforced rules. The rules were enforced by people with athority with the goal of good for all. I see situations and ruling and issues ignored on AZ by the authoritys at times that I do not understand.

It would be nice if all posters acted civilized but that is a lot to expect on this forum. I guarentee the keyboard thugs, and spelling police would not act that way in a real pool room or even the grocery store if the situation was face to face, however being that this internet/AZ provides and invisible shield many participants grow a serious pair and act as if they are the potentate of life and hate on whoever they want. It is a bummer to people has ran off many of the pro's and keeps me off AZ at times myself.

Part of the problem with an Internet forum is the anonymity. To the AZ haters and trolls - I am not saying you should have to post your real name and picture at all so please do not tell me what I am saying. If you want to hide then hide and if you act badly I hope people who know you put out a real name to you so people in your community and this AZ can know how you are capable of acting. What I am saying is I think the more we know of who and where people are from so we can socialize when proximity and time allow and also just treat each other as humans when on AZ. This will make people realize that the other posters are actually people. Many people on this site are well known it is obvious who they are and these people seem to act more real on the forum. I think it would help to know who people really are especially when the ones who consitently act like trolls or perhaps welch in the action forum or do not proplerly complete a deal in sales area. I think this would calm some of them down at least occasionally. People posted SC5 info he still acts badly but people know who he is where he is and has probably saved some hassles by having a name and a face. I think we should have a check in thread with picture/name etc there are many on this forum I would like to converse with as I like what they write, I have probably walked past or even stood beside more than a few of them at pool events and had no idea who they were.

So in that spirit my name is Dana Stephenson - I live in Indianapolis. I go to quite a few events so I like to socialize and be part of the pool happenings in the real world. I will try to post a picture but here is my link on facebook it hs my picture come up and say Hi if you see me out and about.

http://facebook.com/Dana.Stephenson.Elvicash

Sorry for the rambling but this AZ place could be so much better.

Hungarian
11-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Depends on two things Lock: 1.) do you measure civility the same way the person who just insulted does and 2.) exactly how much civility are you looking for?

Third thing is I truly believe that many people on here try to be funny and something is lost in the translation of their 'written' humor. Humor is subjective and many times it's generational. Example, older folks don't always appreciate young humor. They sometimes think that young folks are rude or brash. But when said young person tells the same joke to someone closer to his own age, many times, it's very funny to the younger audience.

Tramp Steamer
11-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Tramp, I don't want to hear how you're typing this post.:eek::rolleyes:

Well, pt my friend, the engineers here at Steamer Cue Sports Ltd., were kind enough to come up with a divice whereby typing is done from an anal point of view. They stuck it up my... well, you know, and off I went. :smile:

rayjay
11-23-2012, 09:32 AM
It would be nice if we were as evolved as society would like us to be. Unfortunately, we have several hundred thousand years to go.

TheThaiger
11-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Depends on two things Lock: 1.) do you measure civility the same way the person who just insulted does and 2.) exactly how much civility are you looking for?

Third thing is I truly believe that many people on here try to be funny and something is lost in the translation of their 'written' humor. Humor is subjective and many times it's generational. Example, older folks don't always appreciate young humor. They sometimes think that young folks are rude or brash. But when said young person tells the same joke to someone closer to his own age, many times, it's very funny to the younger audience.

Very true. It's also difficult not to conclude that some demographics willfully choose to be offended, and use it to garner support for their own agendas.

Slim Limpy
11-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Tramp Steamer
11-23-2012, 09:39 AM
It would be nice if we were as evolved as society would like us to be. Unfortunately, we have several hundred thousand years to go.

You're right as rain, ray. (say that three times, really fast).
I'm sure that sometime, in the way off future, our ancestors will look back at us and say, "What a bunch of dumbasses." :smile:

Majic
11-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Civility and respect make for a good forum along with differing opinions, having good natured fun and forgiving when one apologizes for whatever.

The mods do a good job when somebody crosses the line (personal attacks), but the forum in reality should mod itself. The forum users know when things are getting bad or off course and they should politely say something about it.

That would be the civilized thing to do and respectful to all members.

Happy Holidays to ALL :grin-square:

RRfireblade
11-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Civility is for Homos.

Ideally. ;)

Bob Jewett
11-23-2012, 10:07 AM
... that age old axiom, "If you can't say anything good about someone (or something) then don't say anything at all."
I thought it was "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me."

Lock N Load
11-23-2012, 10:09 AM
You know Lock we should be civil in everything we do, but i think thats impossiable because some where along the line something will happen that we dont agree with and bam there goes your civility, but there is no reason to disrespect someone or their beleivings just because one mite not agree!Another very good thread, have a great day MR.LOCK!

Hello Richie,
I am trying to have a good day, and thanks for that. I appreciate your compliments always. I trust that you and your family had a great Thanksgiving day. Have a great week end.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Slim Limpy
11-23-2012, 10:09 AM

Hungarian
11-23-2012, 10:23 AM
In other words, are you saying it's really easy to stimulate a furious response from said "demographic"? All you have to do is be silly and young and immature on an open forum and this will give them something to cry about?

Very true. It's also difficult not to conclude that some demographics willfully choose to be offended, and use it to garner support for their own agendas.

bigshooter
11-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I was off the forum for a few years and recently came back. I was shocked at the lack of civility and common decency by many posters here.

This place has gotten worse over the years, perhaps those of you that have never left have gradually gotten used to it but I was surprised.

I imagine the trolls and troublemakers are the same types that hang in the poolroom and cannot win without sharking and acting like clowns. These types bastardize the sport of pool and integrity of the forum.

RRfireblade
11-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Hey RRfireblade,

Can I rub your belly--
Ideally?

Depends on where you take me for dinner.
Ideally.

RobertaAgnor
11-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Thank you for the kind words about my thread :). I try my very best to act on here as I do in person which is why I have my name & pic.

The drugs must be taking effect because I swear that this very same thread topic (and an excellent thread it was) was just posted two or so weeks ago with a very various veried group of AZ'ers opining their opposing opinions in many well-thought out pre-medicated (I mean, premeditated) responses:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=295865

What he said . . .

Blue Hog ridr
11-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Don't believe Tramp is playing second base with no arms and legs. He is second base.

They call him Paddy.

Tramp Steamer
11-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Don't believe Tramp is playing second base with no arms and legs. He is second base.

They call him Paddy.

You've got that right, Blue, and it's tought playing pool without arms and legs to.
I was playing One Pocket the other day and my opponent said, "It's your shot."
I said, "I can't."
He said, "Why not?"
I said, "Because I have no arms or legs."
He said, "Well, it's still your shot."
:)

Dunnn51
11-23-2012, 04:39 PM
You're right as rain, ray. (say that three times, really fast).
I'm sure that sometime, in the way off future, our ancestors will look back at us and say, "What a bunch of dumbasses." :smile:

Tramp,... I figure that'll happen after the 1st return from "the Apocolypse" when they will all be wondering whatever the heck happened to start all of it. Kinda scary when they translate a few I-phones & droid smartphones for their pictures,sites,and text messages!! :shocked2::shocked2:

Blue Hog ridr
11-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Hey, I have an idea. Maybe the mods can change the graphics and we can have little birds, butterflies, faeries and such flitting across the screen and some nice back ground music.

If a person doesn't like what happens on AZ, they are always welcome to start their own sites and forums. Instead of talking about it and trying to change peoples attitudes.

It is what it is.

Mikjary
11-23-2012, 05:50 PM

They call him Paddy.

If he was able to catch the ball they could call him Mitt. Then...Tag. Here we go again! 249352249353

Best,
Mike

Dunnn51
11-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Hey, I have an idea. Maybe the mods can change the graphics and we can have little birds, butterflies, faeries and such flitting across the screen and some nice back ground music.

It is what it is.

Well said ! umm..................................... 'cept for the flitting fairies part :eek:

AZ "is"

Amusing

Allegorical

Anecdotal

But honestly, sometimes its also an excercise in Frustration.
Indeed (see bold quote above)

Ahhh, the humanity of it all ... http://now.msn.com/black-friday-fight-filmed-in-wal-mart

JB Cases
11-23-2012, 06:20 PM

If a person doesn't like what happens on AZ, they are always welcome to start their own sites and forums. Instead of talking about it and trying to change peoples attitudes.

It is what it is.

But it doesn't have to be what it is. I know that the standard comeback is to change the channel if you don't like the program. Well in some sense talking about what's not liked with this program is an attempt to change the channel.

Blue Hog ridr
11-23-2012, 06:52 PM
If he was able to catch the ball they could call him Mitt. Then...Tag. Here we go again

And when he went over the fence, they called him Homer.

Dunnn51
11-23-2012, 07:09 PM
all I can say is it pays to have a sense of humor in here sometimes ! ( I have mine tonite :grin: )

JB,............... pls don't tell me yer a flitting fairies fan :eek: :lol:

Seriously, I know where you are coming from, but your passion for change invites (and ignites) others to do the same, and it may not be in tune with you/your desire for change. just (MHO)

Mikjary
11-23-2012, 07:19 PM
And when he went over the fence, they called him Homer.

And his middle name was Jack. If he caught some rays on the way out of the park they called him Tanner. And when a fan ran after him they called him Chase. 249361249362

Best,
Mike

justadub
11-23-2012, 07:21 PM
I wish folks could find a little common ground more often. I don't expect it to change.

My name is Bruce Worcester. I don't intend to necessarily be anonymous.

Blue Hog ridr
11-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Don't be Saucy Bruce.

After he went over the fence, he bounced from the ground into a mail box.

They called him Bill.

justadub
11-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Don't be Saucy Bruce.

I'm tired. I'll be saucy tomorrow, ok?

:p

Tramp Steamer
11-23-2012, 07:37 PM
And if I were floating in a swimming pool you could call me Bob. :)

pt109
11-23-2012, 07:51 PM
And if I were floating in a swimming pool you could call me Bob. :)

Now I know why I find your humor so dis-arming....

...and speaking of that; I was once challenged at darts by a man with no arms.
I said "I don't want to be impolite, but how do you play with no arms?
He said "Very simple, you stick a dart in my mouth......
....and then throw the board at my face."
;)

Slim Limpy
11-23-2012, 08:23 PM

Blue Hog ridr
11-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Actually that was quite good.

Tramp Steamer
11-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Is this supposed to be pool related. I gotta tell you, I've never been quite clear on that. At least we're being civil, and that's what Lock was wondering about, wasn't it?
Anyway, you know what they call a guy with no arms and legs who hangs on a wall?
Art. :wink:

9BallPaul
11-23-2012, 08:54 PM
You know, the problem with most AZ threads is that they are like giant sinkholes in the middle of a major intersection and no matter how hard you try, you really can't completely avoid them no matter how hard you try.

You try to look away, you try to make a sharp turn, there's too much traffic to make a quick U-ee, so you're stuck staring over the edge of this giant sinkhole thing to see if anything of value has fallen in . . . and you really, really don't want to be there, but there you are . . .

And lo and behold you look inside, deep inside, and what do you see? A pit of filthy mud mixed with rain -- and on the surface, a dark mirrored sheen reflecting back at you . . . your own face!

Now, c'mon guys . . . how deep is that?

I shoulda been a poet . . . I know it.

Just avoiding this sinkhole proved impossible. What's the deal with the bold red typeface?

Dunnn51
11-24-2012, 12:27 AM
.....and its better than arguing !

Dub, I still wanna be that lobster ! When she's done kissin' my back, I'll dance my pri**ily claws all over hers ! Who sez shell-fish can't have fun. :wink:

(By the way,............ it's tomorrow) :)

P.S.
That "Lock" guy is a class act if ya ask me .

TheThaiger
11-24-2012, 05:28 AM
In other words, are you saying it's really easy to stimulate a furious response from said "demographic"? All you have to do is be silly and young and immature on an open forum and this will give them something to cry about?

:rolleyes:

No, that's what you're saying. I'm saying many people actively enjoy moaning about how things were better in the good ole days.

JB Cases
11-24-2012, 05:52 AM
The old days were always better don't you know? No matter when they were they were better. It's just like all the folks that claim that the old days were better in pool but they never say WHICH old days? The 1860s, the 1920? the 70s......what time was "better".

I am positive that we could go back in time, and in fact on a forum we can do exactly that and find plenty of flame wars and incivility happening. In fact there is one other forum that was created specifically as a protest forum and born out of incivility here. On that other forum there is no censorship whatsoever, or we should say that it takes a lot to get censored and incivility to nth degree isn't enough on that forum to even get a slap on the wrist.

I think as the net evolves a lot of us simply get tired of flame wars. Better to kill with kindness so to speak. We have to develop thick enough skins to be able to take insults and respond with nice but firm replies. And at the end of the day this is itself an art form I think. Nothing new of course as Dale Carnegie was preaching it 50 years ago.

But when you are intoxicated with the ability to tell people what's what immediately and forcefully those lessons learned from mom and Carnegie somehow don't get followed if they were ever learned at all. So some folks just need to get it all out of their system and spend a bunch of sleepless nights responding to trolls and bullies, even at times becoming trolls and bullies to work through it and realize that at the end it accomplishes nothing but either making real enemies or having people simply laugh at you and needle you for amusement.

So I don't know what the good old days were. To me they were back on RSB before the flame wars when we had a ton of good writers. ON here we have lost a lot of good writers who used to put up really entertaining content. Whether they got tired of all the bickering or what the fact is that they are gone and as yet haven't really been replaced. Some pop in from time to time but they hardly post great content any more.

I have an idea. I am not going to tell any of you what it is but I think it might be a way to bring back some of the writers and encourage others to put up more good content.

We'll see.

Slim Limpy
11-24-2012, 08:21 AM

Lock N Load
01-15-2013, 04:22 PM
.....and its better than arguing !

Dub, I still wanna be that lobster ! When she's done kissin' my back, I'll dance my pri**ily claws all over hers ! Who sez shell-fish can't have fun. :wink:

(By the way,............ it's tomorrow) :)

P.S.
That "Lock" guy is a class act if ya ask me .

I thank you, Mr. Dunnn51.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

"CaliRed".
01-15-2013, 05:49 PM
I thank you, Mr. Dunnn51.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

just how far back do you go to revive your world famous threads? This one died 2 months ago, but yet you intentionally dug it out again so you can say thanks to someone that replied 2 months ago?

I know you like to have at least 6 Lock and Load threads going on at all times, but you're really reaching here:rolleyes:

PS... not a hater, just a curious guy that tries to understand why people do out of the norm actions on forums. You revive your own threads all the time, so help me understand why, I'm having trouble sleeping over this:eek:

Town famous CaliRed:embarrassed2:

(last time I asked a question to Mr. Lock and Load, dr9ball gave me red rep for "picking on him" Not sure he understands I give not one crapola about "rep colors", but I do sincerely thank the people for their comments)

Slim Limpy
01-15-2013, 07:03 PM

pt109
01-15-2013, 09:18 PM
just how far back do you go to revive your world famous threads? This one died 2 months ago, but yet you intentionally dug it out again so you can say thanks to someone that replied 2 months ago?

I know you like to have at least 6 Lock and Load threads going on at all times, but you're really reaching here:rolleyes:

PS... not a hater, just a curious guy that tries to understand why people do out of the norm actions on forums. You revive your own threads all the time, so help me understand why, I'm having trouble sleeping over this:eek:

(last time I asked a question to Mr. Lock and Load, dr9ball gave me red rep for "picking on him" Not sure he understands I give not one crapola about "rep colors", but I do sincerely thank the people for their comments)
Cali, I like old threads being revived....it's AZ history.
Plato still gets read and commentated on from over 2,000 centuries ago.
Why should AZ history disappear?
There are some interesting threads that many members have never seen..
...and some of them are yours also.

And I'm not afraid of any stinkin' puns, either.....
..bring 'em on, Slim Limpy.:rolleyes::groucho:

regards
double hemlock

Fatboy
01-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Lock, I wouldn't want this forum overly civil.....
..if everybody posted like they were writing a Neil Sedaka song, it would
get too boring....and with all that honey, we'd end up with diabetes.

However, I also see JB's point...it's about crossing a line.
I think the Thaiger and JB debates were a model for disagreeing....
...spirited differences of opinion with a good amount of dissing but nobody
tilted.

To me, a certain amount of profanity adds a little spice, but I'm not too
keen on obscenities ( yes, there is a difference in the two )...if your kid
can't read your posts, I feel you're doing something wrong.

I think AZ does an admirable job...they aren't wardens and they aren't
the kind to look the other way either.
This is the wrong planet to be looking for perfection.

So to improve the forum, it really comes down to each individual...
..if you want it to improve, then do it with your posts; don't wait for
everyone else to shape up, show the way.

"A choice is given...and to each his own...to be a stumbling block...
...or a stepping stone."

AND IF ANYBODY DOESN'T LIKE THIS POST, GET STUFFED.:angry:

regards..<..but not ALL the time
double hemlock

yeah what he said. :thumbup:

Lock N Load
01-15-2013, 09:40 PM

As you said, my own threads! How hard is that to understand? If you ignore my threads you would not know what is going on with them! I guarantee you that I never say a word about anything you do, write or say. Most times I do not even respond to remarks like yours. Or as you call them, questions. Loaded questions that have no possible benefit to you. None of what I do addresses you or anything about you!
I never see you ask any other poster about their threads or post....... Happy New Year to you and your family.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock N Load
01-15-2013, 09:49 PM
The old days were always better don't you know? No matter when they were they were better. It's just like all the folks that claim that the old days were better in pool but they never say WHICH old days? The 1860s, the 1920? the 70s......what time was "better".

I am positive that we could go back in time, and in fact on a forum we can do exactly that and find plenty of flame wars and incivility happening. In fact there is one other forum that was created specifically as a protest forum and born out of incivility here. On that other forum there is no censorship whatsoever, or we should say that it takes a lot to get censored and incivility to nth degree isn't enough on that forum to even get a slap on the wrist.

I think as the net evolves a lot of us simply get tired of flame wars. Better to kill with kindness so to speak. We have to develop thick enough skins to be able to take insults and respond with nice but firm replies. And at the end of the day this is itself an art form I think. Nothing new of course as Dale Carnegie was preaching it 50 years ago.

But when you are intoxicated with the ability to tell people what's what immediately and forcefully those lessons learned from mom and Carnegie somehow don't get followed if they were ever learned at all. So some folks just need to get it all out of their system and spend a bunch of sleepless nights responding to trolls and bullies, even at times becoming trolls and bullies to work through it and realize that at the end it accomplishes nothing but either making real enemies or having people simply laugh at you and needle you for amusement.

So I don't know what the good old days were. To me they were back on RSB before the flame wars when we had a ton of good writers. ON here we have lost a lot of good writers who used to put up really entertaining content. Whether they got tired of all the bickering or what the fact is that they are gone and as yet haven't really been replaced. Some pop in from time to time but they hardly post great content any more.

I have an idea. I am not going to tell any of you what it is but I think it might be a way to bring back some of the writers and encourage others to put up more good content.

We'll see.

What, Mr. JB just said!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

"CaliRed".
01-15-2013, 11:02 PM
As you said, my own threads! How hard is that to understand? If you ignore my threads you would not know what is going on with them! I guarantee you that I never say a word about anything you do, write or say. Most times I do not even respond to remarks like yours. Or as you call them, questions. Loaded questions that have no possible benefit to you. None of what I do addresses you or anything about you!
I never see you ask any other poster about their threads or post....... Happy New Year to you and your family.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

As I mentioned, I am curious. Beings my profession has been in the IT field for the past 30 years, I've been heavily involved in discussion groups going back to when they were in the form of BBS's, then evolving into Usenet Newsgroups and finally into forums as we know them today.

I have acquired quite a bit of knowledge of the way people interact over all the years. For a good decade I was very heavy into the Usenet scene and was part of a group that was quite famous in the underground of Usenet (I even got my picture in Wired magazine and a cover article about us:) )

I've always been very interested in learning about the behavior of people in discussion groups and amassed quite a bit of knowledge over the past 30 years. I've also been able to watch how people have evolved, or rather de-evolved:eek: over the decades. You have to remember, in the beginning there wasn't many people on the Internet, the World Wide Web hadn't even been open to the public until 1991. So I've been privy to all the rules and the etiquette and how they continue to change over all these years.

So when I say I am curious, I am serious (hey I rhymed) This phenomenon of someone searching for their own threads and then replying to them with a comment that does nothing more than thank someone, just to bring the thread back to the front page, is something I don't see that often. There's nothing wrong with reviving one's own thread, as long as there is some kind of reason for it. For example, I was thinking of reviving some of my old threads of all of the videos and stories I did for when I went to the Derby in 2010. My reason would be to stir up interest in the Derby and possibly get some people excited enough that they might make the trip.

But I've noticed that you go back in time, sometimes months even, and just respond with a comment that is void of any kind of reason for responding to it. Like in this instance, you just tell someone thanks for something they wrote months ago. That's it, just thanks.

So, since I haven't a lot of insight into this behavior (I've certainly seen it before, just not a lot) I was just asking a legitimate question of why do you do this. Everyone has a posting pattern and this is just one of the interesting ones that makes up yours.

You don't have to answer why you do it, but I won't know that unless I ask. I assume by your answer that you don't care to share that, so I won't ask again. I'm just a curious George kind of guy and truly wonder why people do some of the things they do. Even if it annoys me, I still want to understand the reasoning and the why part.

Happy New Year to you too. Hopefully all these very good players that are scared to play you even, will come to their senses and just take a old fashioned butt whipping like a man and give you some action;)

JoeyA
01-16-2013, 09:44 AM
As I mentioned, I am curious. Beings my profession has been in the IT field for the past 30 years, I've been heavily involved in discussion groups going back to when they were in the form of BBS's, then evolving into Usenet Newsgroups and finally into forums as we know them today.

I have acquired quite a bit of knowledge of the way people interact over all the years. For a good decade I was very heavy into the Usenet scene and was part of a group that was quite famous in the underground of Usenet (I even got my picture in Wired magazine and a cover article about us:) )

I've always been very interested in learning about the behavior of people in discussion groups and amassed quite a bit of knowledge over the past 30 years. I've also been able to watch how people have evolved, or rather de-evolved:eek: over the decades. You have to remember, in the beginning there wasn't many people on the Internet, the World Wide Web hadn't even been open to the public until 1991. So I've been privy to all the rules and the etiquette and how they continue to change over all these years.

So when I say I am curious, I am serious (hey I rhymed) This phenomenon of someone searching for their own threads and then replying to them with a comment that does nothing more than thank someone, just to bring the thread back to the front page, is something I don't see that often. There's nothing wrong with reviving one's own thread, as long as there is some kind of reason for it. For example, I was thinking of reviving some of my old threads of all of the videos and stories I did for when I went to the Derby in 2010. My reason would be to stir up interest in the Derby and possibly get some people excited enough that they might make the trip.

But I've noticed that you go back in time, sometimes months even, and just respond with a comment that is void of any kind of reason for responding to it. Like in this instance, you just tell someone thanks for something they wrote months ago. That's it, just thanks.

So, since I haven't a lot of insight into this behavior (I've certainly seen it before, just not a lot) I was just asking a legitimate question of why do you do this. Everyone has a posting pattern and this is just one of the interesting ones that makes up yours.

You don't have to answer why you do it, but I won't know that unless I ask. I assume by your answer that you don't care to share that, so I won't ask again. I'm just a curious George kind of guy and truly wonder why people do some of the things they do. Even if it annoys me, I still want to understand the reasoning and the why part.

Happy New Year to you too. Hopefully all these very good players that are scared to play you even, will come to their senses and just take a old fashioned butt whipping like a man and give you some action;)

I'm going to take a shot at your question and then I'm going to ask one of you.

Now keep in mind that I don't really discuss AZB Internet threads with LNL in person so I can only guess.

It could be that LNL enjoys friendly communication with others on the forum.

It could be that LNL is just spreading the love around for all to enjoy.

It could be that LNL is just a nice guy who doesn't mean to harm anyone.

It could be that LNL read in another thread where the moderator was talking about improving the civility on the forums at all costs and LNL thought that an old thread that he had started previously might be contain information that was current and appropriate to revive.

It could be that LNL was bored and wanted to resurrect one of his old threads purely for egotistical reasons. Some people get a kick out of amassing enormous numbers of posts and involving large numbers of people. What harm is there even in that?

That's about all of my guesses.

Now my question for you and others like yourself. Keep in mind that I really don't harbor you or anyone else any ill will but:

Why does it seem that you and a few others like to harp on LNL like he was a troll or some useless POS? He's neither btw.

The reason I ask this question is that I notice that most of your posts concerning LNL are not very nice. I'm just curious why people like you find it fun and games to continue to needle him when you could just as easily just put him on ignore. Your "curiosity" appears to be a red herring of sorts as they say.

CreeDo
01-16-2013, 11:56 AM
I like your posts usually Cali, but this passive aggressive "Hey, I'm just asking questions" stuff has no merit.

Instead of putting up this exaggerated fake air of neutrality, why not just be direct and honest and say "It annoys me to see the forum cluttered with old zombie threads that should be left alone"?

As opposed to "Oh, I wasn't criticizing you, I'm just the Jane Goodall of internet forums, observing curiosities of human behavior for scientific reasons... I really just want to quench my endless thirst for knowledge!"

It's ok to openly admit you were criticizing him for an annoying habit, and wish he'd stop. And it's also ok for him to tell you "if you don't like it, put me on ignore."

nobcitypool
01-16-2013, 12:03 PM
This subject seems to come up every month or so. I guess I don't understand it. Given the number of members and activity on this site, I think it is incredibly civil. The vast majority of the threads here involve opinions. Any time you ask for opinions, you're obviously going to have differences. That's simply the nature of the beast. There are obviously a lot of people here who are passionate about their opinions regarding aiming, proper stroke, instruction, etc., etc.. That passion leads to conflict from time to time. The vast majority of the time, I don't see that conflict getting out of hand. Would you rather not have those passionate people posting? This would be such a namby pamby site, no one would bother reading or posting after awhile.

Just MHO. If you're so sensitive that your feelings get easily hurt on a web site, you need to pull the plug on your computer and watch Dr Phil instead.

JoeyA
01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
This subject seems to come up every month or so. I guess I don't understand it. Given the number of members and activity on this site, I think it is incredibly civil. The vast majority of the threads here involve opinions. Any time you ask for opinions, you're obviously going to have differences. That's simply the nature of the beast. There are obviously a lot of people here who are passionate about their opinions regarding aiming, proper stroke, instruction, etc., etc.. That passion leads to conflict from time to time. The vast majority of the time, I don't see that conflict getting out of hand. Would you rather not have those passionate people posting? This would be such a namby pamby site, no one would bother reading or posting after awhile.

Just MHO. If you're so sensitive that your feelings get easily hurt on a web site, you need to pull the plug on your computer and watch Dr Phil instead.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I and MANY others, including the moderators and management believe that more civility is needed in these forums.

Spirited dialogue and constructive criticism are healthy for everyone but dogged stalking, mean-spirited comments and poorly veiled ad hominem attacks serve no good or useful purpose in this forum.

Lock N Load
01-16-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm going to take a shot at your question and then I'm going to ask one of you.

Now keep in mind that I don't really discuss AZB Internet threads with LNL in person so I can only guess.

It could be that LNL enjoys friendly communication with others on the forum.

It could be that LNL is just spreading the love around for all to enjoy.

It could be that LNL is just a nice guy who doesn't mean to harm anyone.

It could be that LNL read in another thread where the moderator was talking about improving the civility on the forums at all costs and LNL thought that an old thread that he had started previously might be contain information that was current and appropriate to revive.

It could be that LNL was bored and wanted to resurrect one of his old threads purely for egotistical reasons. Some people get a kick out of amassing enormous numbers of posts and involving large numbers of people. What harm is there even in that?

That's about all of my guesses.

Now my question for you and others like yourself. Keep in mind that I really don't harbor you or anyone else any ill will but:

Why does it seem that you and a few others like to harp on LNL like he was a troll or some useless POS? He's neither btw.

The reason I ask this question is that I notice that most of your posts concerning LNL are not very nice. I'm just curious why people like you find it fun and games to continue to needle him when you could just as easily just put him on ignore. Your "curiosity" appears to be a red herring of sorts as they say.

Hello JoeyA,
How are you doing these days? Happy New Year to you and your family. You hit the nail on the head about why I posted in this thread. Very good on those points. All of them!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock N Load
01-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Mr. Calired:

How dare you question Lock N' Loads taste.

He clearly is reviving this thread so he can feast again upon the honey dew of my my "inbread", I mean inbred joke about Blue Hog ridr and TheThaigerSpeaks. He clearly is waiting with baited breath to read each of those illustrious gentlemen's responses to my last posting in this thread (see the hillarious joke above!) and can hardly contain himself (Sir, do sell Lock N' Load in the can? Well, let 'im out--the bathroom is no place to be selling such a fine specimen of a human being like Lock N' Load!!!).

I'll pun-battle anybody. ANYBODY!

Happy New Year to you and your family, Slim. Lock N Load in a can! Must a 55 gallon drum. As I am 6' 4" tall. How goes it so far for you this New Year?
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.