PDA

View Full Version : Pool popularity

BJTowles
11-23-2012, 09:03 AM
All, I had a discussion recently with some friends and asked them this question. Do you think pool is as popular now as it used to be, 15 or 20 years ago? I would like to think it is, but I'm not sure. What do you think, and what are your metrics for your answer (tons of pool halls in your town, few pool halls but always busy, etc).

Thanks.

measureman
11-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Here in Colorado the bar leagues are doing very well. But the main stream big tables players not so good.
A while ago at Hanks pool room in Wheatridge the place was pretty full maybe 50 people or so(its a small room) and I noticed that except for a couple of people that the crowd was over 50 years old. And I see that more and more that the big table players are all older while the bar table players are younger and quite a few are women.

BJTowles
11-23-2012, 09:20 AM
I've checked some of the halls around here (New Orleans) and they also seem to attract an older crowd, versus any younger players. I wish that weren't the case as I spent a lot of time with my friends around a pool table when I was a kid. It teaches strategy and hand-eye coordination that you just don't get in lots of the video games nowadays.

I guess it's a sign of the times, but I hope the kids get into the game like they used to. I know they'd get a lot of joy out of it.

Bona
11-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Here in Colorado the bar leagues are doing very well. But the main stream big tables players not so good.
A while ago at Hanks pool room in Wheatridge the place was pretty full maybe 50 people or so(its a small room) and I noticed that except for a couple of people that the crowd was over 50 years old. And I see that more and more that the big table players are all older while the bar table players are younger and quite a few are women.

This pretty well describes the situation in Omaha as well, or at least as I perceive it. I played when I was younger and there were plenty of pool rooms that didn't even serve liquor and did serve a younger crowd. I suppose the video games and computers have reduced pool's popularity with youth. When I was younger, I wasn't aware of pool leagues. Now they are all over in bars with 3-12+ tables. I play in those now because that is what is available to me. The only thing in life that doesn't change is the fact that things change.

BJTowles
11-23-2012, 09:36 AM
The only thing in life that doesn't change is the fact that things change.

This is gospel.

And I honestly can't say if the local area around here has changed to a more interactive tournament (bar league) feel or not. I know for many years it was an effort to find a pool hall at all, or at least one you didn't feel like you were taking your life into your own hands going into. I remember when I was in college, pool was a staple of entertainment. Even to the point of having a dry pool hall in town, which at a college is a major statement that a hall can survive dry.

King T
11-23-2012, 11:31 AM
APA!!!! I dont play in the APA, but I do push the idea to anyone that I meet if they are just learning to play or trying to improve.

If people win and compete they will tend to stay with it and the APA has the perfect set up to bring young players and the parents of young players to the game.

If we all push it at every opportunity it willgrow the game.