PDA

View Full Version : why are you(we) playing the game?

maestro de pool
11-24-2012, 12:47 AM
The Game.It is playing by hustlers,tournament players(so they called themselves),kids ,older people,rich,poor,boys ,girls anyone who felt the first time he pocket a ball that magic satisfaction that put him in the world of pocket billiards.
Now why after years everybody ,anywere on this planet still like it?Is it the joy of the game ,of yourself trying to be (imagine)a great player?maybe Reyes or Earl?is it the illusion that ..hey i can do that!is it the sportsman or the Hustler we carry inside ourselves?
I think maybe all the above and more but most off all the first joy we all got when we as kids play the very first time,and the competitive that we have more or less women too,i beet you lets play some pool tonight and maybe you learn something!!!!!!!!!!
sorry about my english i am not an american I am just an ordinary player that i quit my job, divorce my wife stop sleeping,and play 8ball,9ball,10ball,14.1 cont,rotation,one pocket (only fooling my wive got me chiao!@%$^%&&

MitchAlsup
11-24-2012, 12:42 PM
I actually enjoy watching the physics and geometry play out on a level table with smooth cloth. I play probably 3 times more hours alone than with/against anyone.

oldplayer
11-24-2012, 01:26 PM
it's all i got left.........:sorry:

scratchs
11-24-2012, 01:45 PM
I think one has to be a control freak to truely play the game well.
Truely manipulation at its best...its easy to understand,an can take
a life time to play well..I think its the best brain tease ever invented.
happy holidays.

rayjay
11-24-2012, 02:59 PM
The Game.It is playing by hustlers,tournament players(so they called themselves),kids ,older people,rich,poor,boys ,girls anyone who felt the first time he pocket a ball that magic satisfaction that put him in the world of pocket billiards.
Now why after years everybody ,anywere on this planet still like it?Is it the joy of the game ,of yourself trying to be (imagine)a great player?maybe Reyes or Earl?is it the illusion that ..hey i can do that!is it the sportsman or the Hustler we carry inside ourselves?
I think maybe all the above and more but most off all the first joy we all got when we as kids play the very first time,and the competitive that we have more or less women too,i beet you lets play some pool tonight and maybe you learn something!!!!!!!!!!
sorry about my english i am not an american I am just an ordinary player that i quit my job, divorce my wife stop sleeping,and play 8ball,9ball,10ball,14.1 cont,rotation,one pocket (only fooling my wive got me chiao!@%$^%&&

Ahhh...the good life! I agree with all of the above, and more.

SKJoss72
11-24-2012, 03:16 PM
For me things have always come easily to me, like Drumming, Working on cars, Doing BMX when I was younger. carpentry, etc. except this game, which constantly challenges me, day in and day out. I got fairly good (low B Speed) in about 3-4 years but thats about it. haven't really noticed any significant gains since. been playing 11 years now :frown:

so while this game pisses me off. i think i keep comming back because it is such a challenge.

Snapshot9
11-24-2012, 03:53 PM
because I love the sport, and have for 50 years. I can not afford to gamble like I used to, but I still get a little action now and then. I mostly play tournaments that come up. My Pool room (the one I patronize the most) has 5 weekly tournaments on the weekend,and then all the special tournaments that come up around here.

Besides most of the tournaments I play in, has many of my Pool friends in them, and so most of my socializing is done then.

Pushout
11-24-2012, 05:41 PM
As Sutton, the bank robber said when asked why he robbed banks: "'Cause I like to!!"

ENGLISH!
11-24-2012, 05:50 PM
I play because it is a challenging game. It challenges me to try to approach perfection whenever I play. It is also an immediate game. The gratification or disappointment is immediate. It is an honest game. You get what you sow. I really like that. No bad calls by officials (for the most part) to decide the game. The bottom line is, I'm an amatuer. I play for the love of the game!

Best Regards,

Push&Pool
11-24-2012, 06:40 PM
You can make things fly... And use that to annihilate your opponent. How could I not like it?

rayjay
11-24-2012, 08:51 PM
I think one of the things I like best in this game, is that "lightning" can strike at any time and just blow everybody away! Also, it's one of those rare things that can never be mastered and can be continuously learned throughout life...no end to it.

Catalyze
11-24-2012, 09:01 PM
I like that it is an indoor game that I can play solo. I don't need an internet connection or a license. I can make myself smile by doing well and I can chastise myself for being a bonehead. Once I have my table and it is set up properly....and I have a reasonable cue and ball set.... I really don't need to keep buying anything to keep playing. If I choose to be sociable, I can go to places and join their games or I can decide to be home and enjoy my own table. My wife and I can have a very pleasant time without going anywhere and it is fun when we have friends over. All of this with one electrical plug in for the light overhead. And unlike a game console or whatever....when I put the cover on the table, I can run my hand over a wonderful piece of furniture that makes me smile as I turn out the light.

Missing Link
11-24-2012, 09:06 PM
I play because it's the most challenging, frustrating, rewarding, hateful, annoying, amazing thing that I can do with my clothes on.

And whoever "they" are, they can't take pool.

TheFletch
11-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Because golf is too hard.

1 Pocket Ghost
11-24-2012, 09:33 PM
After 48 years of playing pool, the reason I still play with total passion, desire, and unflagging interest - is because the game of One Pocket exists.

- Ghost

Overlandy
11-24-2012, 09:37 PM
I was in deadstroke at the age of 12 and was hooked! Played in my first tournament that day. I played everyday after school on a red valley bar box in a sporting goods/skate shop/hangout place (buckets for pockets).
Everyone else was 16-20 years old and scoffed at me entering the tournament there. I paid no mind to them and shrugged it off knowing that I played there everyday. I would play from the time I walked there from school, until sundown. I would then go home, eat, and play for three more hours on my Fathers Irving Kaye barbox(tighter pockets) everyday!
The day I entered the tournament I was silent and watched and observed everyone elses actions. My older brother was good but I knew not one person there practiced like I did.I don't even remember much of the tournament. I remember a few bank shots I made,and the tournament winning shot on the nine ball. My dad was proud as hell when I went home and told him I won. It was 40 bucks by the way,in 1993 with a $150 dollar Earl Strickland Cuetec!

Johnnyt
11-24-2012, 09:57 PM
As Sutton, the bank robber said when asked why he robbed banks: "'Cause I like to!!"

I believe utton said, "Because that's where the money is". :smile: Johnnyt

Pushout
11-24-2012, 10:06 PM
I believe utton said, "Because that's where the money is". :smile: Johnnyt

I've heard that too but an old friend used to say that many, many years ago and it stuck with me. Hope yer well, Johnny!

ac11
11-24-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm an addict man...I can't help it anymore!

LHP5
11-25-2012, 01:23 AM
It's freedom. Nothing else matters. Ever notice how fast time goes by when you're just shooting?

Dave Nelson
11-25-2012, 06:55 AM
it's all i got left.........:sorry:

Yeah, I'd drink to that but I've quit drinking.

Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson
11-25-2012, 06:58 AM

No, he said "because that's where the money is".

Dave Nelson

Pushout
11-25-2012, 09:11 AM
No, he said "because that's where the money is".

Dave Nelson

Dave, as I said above, this was something a friend told me many years ago. I'm aware of your quote.

Pushout
11-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Ok, Willie Sutton's quote aside, I continue to play after all these years not just because I like it but I like the challenge that comes from pitting myself against the table/game as it lies. In competition with an opponent I added to the challenge. I got out my set of Jimmy Reid DVD/CDs yesterday and once again became enamored of the sheer joy of simply playing one of, if not the greatest, games ever invented by man. I play it because I LOVE it and hope I never lose that love!! It distresses me to see some of the misinformation out there and I try to correct when I can though sometimes differences of opinion get in the way.
Rack 'em!