PDA

View Full Version : Did Any of You Ever Play This Game?

SkyscraperChris
11-24-2012, 05:59 PM
This is a major throwback! Did anyone else own one of these? I remember we had one in elementary school. In the second grade (1992), we had one in the game room on campus. I loved it so much I got one for my birthday later that year. This ultimately started my pool loving life.

So, what is it?

It was a board made by Carrom to play different types of games. Mainly, games like backgammon, checkers, chess, and "Carrom" - a billiards-like game in which i believe you shot at your checker pieces using a white checker. We played by our own rules we made up usually, but we would generally start out by placing all the checkers on the grid, then "break" them and whoever got all theirs in first would win.

I think we played countless versions of the game for countless hours. This was around the era of Pogs (which was banned at our school because we started using half dollar coins as slammers and betting with them). It was very popular in my area in SoCal, but I haven't met many others who played it. If you did, I'd love to hear how you played, and what kind of high stakes you played by (we played for lunch money some days!)

Pushout
11-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Nope, I remember seeing it for years and years but I never played it. I played a HUGE amount of Backgammon but not on that board:D

Chopdoc
11-24-2012, 06:15 PM
We had one in the seventies. I believe if you look around you will find it goes back at least to the fifties. Me and my brother played on ours a lot. We never used it for anything except cue games.

jay helfert
11-24-2012, 06:23 PM
I played it once with some kids on a playground in Los Angeles. They were pretty good and I had to concentrate to beat them. But I did! No money, just for fun though.

SkyscraperChris
11-24-2012, 06:25 PM
I played it once with some kids on a playground in Los Angeles. They were pretty good and I had to concentrate to beat them. But I did! No money, just for fun though.

Haha! That is the meanest hustle ever!

bflgvs
11-24-2012, 06:57 PM

Haha! That is the meanest hustle ever!

No kidding! "I played it once...", Jay, who are you kidding.

I used to play it all the time in the mid-fifties down the way from you in Long Beach. Red and green caroms, boy it was tough when we started to break them. I remember really hating it when we wore the nets out and the caroms would fall and we'd have to look for 'em.

SkyscraperChris
11-24-2012, 07:01 PM
No kidding! "I played it once...", Jay, who are you kidding.

I used to play it all the time in the mid-fifties down the way from you in Long Beach. Red and green caroms, boy it was tough when we started to break them. I remember really hating it when we wore the nets out and the caroms would fall and we'd have to look for 'em.

Haha I was thinking the exact same thing! I ended up duct-taping a plastic cup under each pocket to keep that from happening.

Whereabouts are you in Long Beach?

gerard soriano
11-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Yes played it as a kid in the early 70s .I do believe if you flip the table over ( at least the old ones) it had a different board we used to play 8 ball on it .Thanks for the memory!

3RAILKICK
11-24-2012, 07:52 PM
We used to play this at the Boys Club in the Mid 50's too.

I seem to remember wooden 'donuts' as the balls. You could get 'two fingers' relief from the sidewall to shoot.

It was a foul or something (restore all made donuts) if you "pushed' thru the stack. There were caroms off other donuts, banking donuts, combinations and straight ins.

Spent a lot of afternoons playing this, nursing a 5cent coke with the cap just open enough to let the CO2 out.

Those were little rascal days...

thanks for the flashback:grin:

....if not a nickel, a dime...for those small thick green glass bottles

bflgvs
11-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Haha I was thinking the exact same thing! I ended up duct-taping a plastic cup under each pocket to keep that from happening.

Whereabouts are you in Long Beach?

Never heard of duct tape back then. I lived close to Bixby Knolls off of California about 3 blocks from San Antonio Ave at the time. Later we moved to Orange and Del Amo right across from Clara Barton on Bentree.

bflgvs
11-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Yes played it as a kid in the early 70s .I do believe if you flip the table over ( at least the old ones) it had a different board we used to play 8 ball on it .Thanks for the memory!

I too remember another game when the board was flipped over but our main game was caroms.:)

bflgvs
11-24-2012, 07:59 PM
We used to play this at the Boys Club in the Mid 50's too.

I seem to remember wooden 'donuts' as the balls. You could get 'two fingers' relief from the sidewall to shoot.

It was a foul or something (restore all made donuts) if you "pushed' thru the stack. There were caroms off other donuts, banking donuts, combinations and straight ins.

Spent a lot of afternoons playing this, nursing a 5cent coke with the cap just open enough to let the CO2 out.

Those were little rascal days...

thanks for the flashback:grin:

....if not a nickel, a dime...for those small thick green glass bottles

Yeah, the caroms were wooden doughnuts. And after time they'd all broken. You're right, you'd get a two fingers off the sidewall if you landed against it. :grin:

Neil
11-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Not only played it as a kid, but the game is downstairs sitting in it's box right next to the pool table!

JTs cuerepair
11-24-2012, 08:18 PM
How many of you guys remember playing Pivot pool when you was a kid.

bigshooter
11-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Yes!

My grandma had one at her house. I loved it! It's the gateway drug.

bflgvs
11-24-2012, 08:41 PM

Exactly correct. A black carom goes in the center of the board and that is shot at after you get all caroms off the board.

Bob Jewett
11-25-2012, 08:21 AM
There are serious competitions in carrom. They seem to get onto ESPN. From the US Carrom Association site:
USCA Invitational Report
Sep 04, 2007

Saravanan Chandrabau of Cleveland, OH, the winner of the USCA Western Championship in Las Vegas, NV, defeated Subba Rao Matta of India, the USCA Eastern Champion, in the USCA Invitational Carrom Tournament held in Valley Forge, PA, August 4-5. This third and final competition of the summer season was held at the Valley Forge Convention Center and was hosted by former World and National Nine-Ball Champion, Allen Hopkins. The last of the 2007 ESPN Star Sports (ESS) World Series of Carrom (WSC) Satellite Events featured sixteen players in open singles and eight players in the WSC event. Nitin Patwardhan of NJ won the WSC event, a surprising upset since he placed tenth in the Swiss Round Robin (SRR) singles qualifier, and Sarita Suman of MD took the first place in Singles Group B.

Gsitz89
11-25-2012, 10:52 AM
This is a major throwback! Did anyone else own one of these? I remember we had one in elementary school. In the second grade (1992), we had one in the game room on campus. I loved it so much I got one for my birthday later that year. This ultimately started my pool loving life.

So, what is it?

It was a board made by Carrom to play different types of games. Mainly, games like backgammon, checkers, chess, and "Carrom" - a billiards-like game in which i believe you shot at your checker pieces using a white checker. We played by our own rules we made up usually, but we would generally start out by placing all the checkers on the grid, then "break" them and whoever got all theirs in first would win.

I think we played countless versions of the game for countless hours. This was around the era of Pogs (which was banned at our school because we started using half dollar coins as slammers and betting with them). It was very popular in my area in SoCal, but I haven't met many others who played it. If you did, I'd love to hear how you played, and what kind of high stakes you played by (we played for lunch money some days!)

The guy seems a little creepy

gerard soriano
11-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Yes starting to rememmber more now ( 51 & had a ruff ride lol)donuts were made of plastic and you could yell out spacer and put 2 fingers between the rail and the donut maybe this was my first love (of pool) i think the game was called carom thanks again for the memories life was soooooooooooooo simple back then