PDA

View Full Version : CAUTION on ebay

cue fix
11-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Hello. I am bringing this auction to attention to AZ members as a warning of possible scamming. It may be my imagination getting the best of me, but if it is legit I appologize. I do not know how to post the link. The title says "balabushka pool cue" Usual starting price of $184, but he doesn't want you to bid, he wants you to email him first at gregorysales2012@gmail.com and tells you the buy it now is sometimes for $1,700 or sometimes $2,000 instead of going through ebay question system. There was even one where he had a buy now at $1700 and had 9 available. There have been about 4 listings in the last 2 days, all of which I put on my watchlist and every time the auction disappeared, even in my watch list. Each listing had a different ebay user as well, but the same email. If you search for " balabushka" in the completed listings you will find one that ended in September by a seller with one rating and it supposedly sold for $5,000. The photo in that auction is the one in all the current auctions that have been listed. I posted this to try and help people from foul play, which in my opinion this looks to be.

petemoss
11-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Seems this gregorysales guy hijacked the account of someone who sells eye makeup. He has numerous hi-end bicycles, cameras and audio systems, all with the same message to contact him by email before bidding. Buy-it-now is always $2000. I bet he will want to get paid through Western Union too. This is an obvious scam! Good catch!

markpatrick
11-25-2012, 12:47 AM
I suggest your forward any add like this directly to

spoof@ebay.com

They will root out the thief.

A Balabushka on Ebay? come on. Buy one at a large pool exhibition or a tournament from a reputable cue dealer.

thanks for the heads up.

Blue Hog ridr
11-25-2012, 12:48 AM
I noticed that too. Someone provided a link to his listings on another thread.

I bid on his Balabushka cue without contacting him first. See what happens.

He has a sax, cameras and a 1 of 6 Gibson 400 guitar. Like you mentioned, all with a BIN price of 2K.

I'm going to bid on the Gibson as well.

01rkclassic
11-25-2012, 01:04 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jerry-Franklin-South-West-Cue-Titlist-Conversion-/170948232663?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D11%26meid%3D3704591385596060254%26pid%3D100 011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D271082535862%26
Looks like he stole they pictures from somebody on here also.

alanvo
11-25-2012, 01:16 AM
100% scam. These listings will be removed after awhile.

Blue Hog ridr
11-25-2012, 01:20 AM
A riding lawn mower. Shipping, $12 to Canada. Right.

hitman22
11-25-2012, 11:05 AM
I suggest your forward any add like this directly to

spoof@ebay.com

They will root out the thief.

A Balabushka on Ebay? come on. Buy one at a large pool exhibition or a tournament from a reputable cue dealer.

thanks for the heads up.

Dude listen to what this man has to say.I am sure there is a lot of leget sellers and nice folks on Ebay,but there is also tons of A holes that do what your talking about,and also many that start there auction with no reserve to fish you in,then shrill bid there product up to a price bracket that they wanted to sell you the cue at,by having a friend drive the bid up.Between that and paypal, you mine as well get your kiss before you bend over and buy the farm.Be careful ebay says they have control of these kind of things,but don,t be fooled.
Hitman

r9ball
11-25-2012, 11:28 AM
The latest was a South West Titlist purpleheart conversion with LOA. I believe it was on AZ previously. The auction has been removed.

petemoss
11-25-2012, 12:45 PM
The latest was a South West Titlist purpleheart conversion with LOA. I believe it was on AZ previously. The auction has been removed.

Good, it looks like the authorities are on to him. I wonder how many ebayers fell for his scam and sent him two grand. He had several high end cues for sale, so he had to be familiar with the AZBilliards sales forum. Maybe even a member. Pockets Calgary, was that you?? hahaha

RunoutJJ
11-25-2012, 01:24 PM
I would never in a million years buy a cue off of Ebay. If I want to purchase any highly valuable or rare cues I will go through a certified dealer or somebody very well known in the billiard world.

foxcues
11-25-2012, 02:32 PM
The southwest was listed twice lastnight with the same pictures but different sellers names,one was in new york the other in california.I was going to post the links as a possible scam lastnight but when I went back to copy the links the one from newyork was gone.

Blue Hog ridr
11-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Hasselblad cameras for under 60 bucks. I wish.

Everything is removed today, all gone.

There were some wonderful items for sale. It was nice to look at all of them.

Too bad they didn't belong to him.

Chopdoc
11-25-2012, 08:00 PM
I would never in a million years buy a cue off of Ebay. If I want to purchase any highly valuable or rare cues I will go through a certified dealer or somebody very well known in the billiard world.

What is a certified dealer? Who certifies them? Is there a regulatory body? Certification examinations? :confused:

cuesblues
11-25-2012, 08:43 PM
This reminds me of the good old days on AZ, when picking out the Ebay scammers was part of the daily routine.
Lately everybody is focused on the authenticity of the cue, who cares.
Hijacked Ebay accounts are fascinating.
I was emailing with a hijacker about a James White cue, and the listing was removed as we were communicating.
When I asked him why the listing was removed he lied, believe it or not.

seven_7days
11-25-2012, 09:10 PM
What is a certified dealer? Who certifies them? Is there a regulatory body? Certification examinations? :confused:

the same body that deems the pilot of an commercial airline a "captain".
there's even an armed forces swearing-in ceremony (private).

DEXTER
11-25-2012, 10:15 PM
I've been watching this also. The Jerry Franklin titlist he is selling is mine. He borrowed the pictures from Ebay when it sold earlier this year.