PDA

View Full Version : Stinger break/jump needs non phenolic tip?

onefortheroad
11-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Last year I bought my wife a stinger break/jump with phenolic tip. As I understand it the phenolic tip is now banned in bca leagues/tournaments? What's the best solution to keep using this cue? New shaft (i-1)? I see they offer a big boy leather tip conversion for the stinger shaft. Would it need to go back to mcdermott to be converted. Can the local cue repair guy do this properly. What suggestions do you guys have?

Atlatlien
11-25-2012, 11:58 AM
I have a big boy on mine. Works great and jumps balls easy

jschelin99
11-25-2012, 12:15 PM
In the current version of the BCAPL rule book, phenolic tips are legal again, for now.

Equipment - 9. Cues - d. The cue tip must be composed of leather, fibrous, or pliable material. Note: Pending further research and review, the BCAPL has temporarily rescinded the prohibition of the use of phenolic tips for break shots. However, the restriction is subject to re-introduction before the expiration of this edition. League Operators and League Managers will be contacted if any further rules modifications regarding phenolic tips are made.

So, it sounds like they could be banned again.

If you're looking for a hard leather break tip, try an Odega. I have installed many different leather break tips, and have found nothing that machines as hard as an Odega.

Jerryss10
11-25-2012, 12:17 PM
I put a samsara on mine. It seems to work really good.

Centerpunch
11-25-2012, 12:18 PM
I put a hard leather tip on mine and now it breaks horribly and cant jump at all. No idea as to why.
I would recommend a separate shaft. Keep that one the way it was made so you can use it where allowed.
I have an I2 for another cue I use to break with and I love it. I,ll bet the I-1 is even better.

jschelin99
11-25-2012, 12:20 PM
By the way, a phenolic ferrule with an Odega break tip on top breaks as hard and jumps as easily as phenolic.

Quesports
11-25-2012, 12:36 PM
I put an Odega break tip on my Jerico Stinger and love the setup. Breaks with better control and jumps just as well as phenolic, for me anyway..