PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a smaller than normal sized cue?

ddadams
11-25-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm on a particular cuemakers list for a while coming but as we were talking we discussed many things but when we were discussing weight/my preferences he said I could get the cue in the wood I wanted if I wanted to try out a 25" butt / 29" shaft combination.

I thought he was joking but he was serious and now that I really think about it, this would probably suit me a LOT better as how short I am and my armspan is.

Anyone play with a smaller than average cue?

The Renfro
11-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Pat Fleming played quite well with a shorter cue and even has stated publicly that he felt like it was "stealing"... I have heard others say the same thing but have never really tried it for myself... I have a friend who has a 56" and for me it feels cramped.....

And for the record Pat was using a shortened butt section as well with a 29" shaft... just food for thought.... Whatever you decide I hope it "hits a ton" and "plays jam up" =)

ddadams
11-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Pat Fleming played quite well with a shorter cue and even has stated publicly that he felt like it was "stealing"... I have heard others say the same thing but have never really tried it for myself... I have a friend who has a 56" and for me it feels cramped.....

And for the record Pat was using a shortened butt section as well with a 29" shaft... just food for thought.... Whatever you decide I hope it "hits a ton" and "plays jam up" =)

I'm sure any cue for sale on here will hit a ton :D

Or maybe I'll post a for sale thread and say "This cue hits ok, it's more of 1/4 a ton. Plays moderate"

mauriceb
11-26-2012, 01:14 AM
the greate jimmy reid used 56 in cue his old friend harley

jhanso18
11-26-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm assuming it's a good builder if your on a list. He can't get a cored blank or any other method for modifying the weight of the cue???

I would explore every option possible before I would go with a 25" butt 29" shaft.

best of luck either way,

Justin

ddadams
11-26-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm assuming it's a good builder if your on a list. He can't get a cored blank or any other method for modifying the weight of the cue???

I would explore every option possible before I would go with a 25" butt 29" shaft.

best of luck either way,

Justin

It's a pretty damn long list.

He doesn't core his wood and I requested African Blackwood be used primarily so it would be heavy.

I'm pretty short and have a less than average armspan. When I was first learning fundamentals (I say that like I'm still not just learning them. I still suck) I always got yelled at for holding my cue way way too high. I would leave a good majority of the butt hanging out of my hand.

Now thinking about what he was saying, yeah it'll ruin the supposed "market value" but I am having my name put on the cue as it is and don't ever really plan on selling it. I just think maybe he's on to something...

bbb
11-26-2012, 11:14 AM
the mezz power break 2 cue has a shorter butt
http://www.miki-mezz.com/world/cues/powerbreak2/index.html
you might be able to get a dealer to swap the break shaft for a mezz playing shaft
total length of cue 55 inches

Chrippa
11-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Hi, I have played with my 3c cue that is 56 inch long and it plays great. Very stiff of course. Iīm not using it for playing pool with though - just tried it.
Iīm used to a 58 and a 56 do feels quite short, but playable.
Anyway, if itīs suite you go for it but do have the maker make you a extension for it, preferably one that you donīt need to remove the bumper.

You can do a search for Mike Lambros and you will probably come up with some pics of one. If you donīt just PM your mail adress and I will send you a pic.
You seem pretty sure which cuemaker you want but if not - buy a Lambros. His 3c cue but with ordinary pool shaft done in a shorter version will probably be great. He has the balanced worked out already.
I guess itīs a lot more makers that can do it also, just adding:-).
Ohhh, kind of forgot, would try a even split (butt/shaft).

Good luck in any case:smile:!

Chrippa

scottjen26
11-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Just ran into a top player that was struggling with this very thing, he accidentally used his Mezz break cue one day with a regular shaft and played lights out. Started experimenting with shorter cues, but kept wavering because he was going against the "norm". I've been there in other sports, even pool, it's tough.

However, even when I was talking to him about it, and watching him pick up a 52" short stick and just run out with it, I agreed with him that if he felt better about the balance, got into the shot better, etc. then go for it! I tried it, it wasn't for me, felt like I was missing something. He was the opposite, and was very cognizant of that extra weight just sitting there on the normal size cue. He's just a bit shorter than me - maybe 5' 7" - and I think he was settling around 55 inches. Will have to catch up with him soon and see what he finally decided.

If it feels good and gives you confidence to use it, then do it!

Scott

cuesblues
11-26-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm sure any cue for sale on here will hit a ton :D

Or maybe I'll post a for sale thread and say "This cue hits ok, it's more of 1/4 a ton. Plays moderate"

I have an old Joss West for sale that I don't play with because it is only 57".
It hits about 19.2 ounces-almost a pound and a quarter, is a marginal player, average at best,
but enjoys pina coladas and late night walks on the beach...:smile:

cookie man
11-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi, I have played with my 3c cue that is 56 inch long and it plays great. Very stiff of course. Iīm not using it for playing pool with though - just tried it.
Iīm used to a 58 and a 56 do feels quite short, but playable.
Anyway, if itīs suite you go for it but do have the maker make you a extension for it, preferably one that you donīt need to remove the bumper.

You can do a search for Mike Lambros and you will probably come up with some pics of one. If you donīt just PM your mail adress and I will send you a pic.
You seem pretty sure which cuemaker you want but if not - buy a Lambros. His 3c cue but with ordinary pool shaft done in a shorter version will probably be great. He has the balanced worked out already.
I guess itīs a lot more makers that can do it also, just adding:-).
Ohhh, kind of forgot, would try a even split (butt/shaft).

Good luck in any case:smile:!

Chrippa

Lambros has also recently made some shorter cues for some pretty good players. I'd call him.

super195v
11-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Ive hit some with Lambros new 56" cue he just made for Brett Stottlemyer. It hits like a monster!!

ddadams
11-26-2012, 09:53 PM
I have an old Joss West for sale that I don't play with because it is only 57".
It hits about 19.2 ounces-almost a pound and a quarter, is a marginal player, average at best,
but enjoys pina coladas and late night walks on the beach...:smile:

Joss West you say?

Hits mediocre? So less than mediocre price in this market?

PM me the price. $xxx I assume, no extra x in front :cool:

stevel
11-26-2012, 10:15 PM
I just built Hunter Lombardo a 54 " cue. 25 " butt and 29" shafts.

joelpope
11-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Another perspective could be "anyone over 6' using a 58" is using an undersized cue"

75 years ago they used 56" & 57" cues, now we are up to 58" as the standard... Still short for taller people in my opinion

Cornerman
11-28-2012, 06:57 AM
I just built Hunter Lombardo a 54 " cue. 25 " butt and 29" shafts.

And there you go. Have you made these before Steve?

Now if Hunter loves the cue, that's a strong endorsement for the OP. If he hates it, then there's a cue for sale for the OP.

Freddie <~~~ I'd call that a win/win