PDA

View Full Version : training game: perfect 7

theUBC
11-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Hi guys,

I want to share a training game for rotational games
that I call perfect 7.

How to play it:
Maybe some of you still remember 7-ball...
This game is close to it, but different concerning important details:

You start breaking a rack (ring) of seven balls - 1 ball in front (right or left side of the ring) and the 7-ball in the center of the ring. (see picture)

-After the break the player has got the right to play a "push out" when he made a ball on the break, play a safety or can try to run out. In case no ball was made on the break, the opponent gets to the table and can decide if he wants to play safe, play a "push out" or he can try to run out by himself. (rules like in 9/10 ball)

THE CUE BALL ALWAYS STAYS WHERE IT CAME TO REST AFTER THE BREAK: Just like in 9/10-ball (Only exception is, when there was committed a foul on the break (e.g. a scratch of the cue ball)

In case the 7 ball is made on the break shot, it will be respotted and the player can continue his inning. In case there is any other ball on the spot, the player has got the right to decide if the 7-ball will be respottet as close as possible to the ball on the spot (like in 10 ball) or if the 7 ball will be respotted on the head spot (the spot on the other side of the table)

-During a game of perfect 7, each of both players has the right to play a "safety" BUT ONLY ONCE IN A GAME! important:THE SAFETY SHOT HAS TO BE ANNOUNCED BY THE PLAYER AT THE TABLE BEFORE TAKING THIS OPTION (otherwise not making the ball, will be considered a foul with consequence of ball in hand for the opponent!)

-EACH BALL IS A "DO OR DIE SHOT" WHICH MEANS THAT YOU ONLY HAVE THE OPTION TO PLAY AN ANNOUNCED SAFETY SHOT ONCE IN A GAME, OR YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE BALL. IN CASE THE PLAYER DOES NOT ANNOUNCE TO PLAY A SAFETY SHOT AND FAILS TO SINK THE BALL AT HAND, IT WILL BE CONSIDEREDA FOUL AND THE OPPONENT GETS BALL IN HAND.

-All balls (apart from obvious shots) have to be announced (like in 10-ball)

-combos are allowed (but have to be announced)

-making the 7-ball wins the game when announced
(7 ball = last ball/combo is allowed when announced, like in 10-ball)

What is this game good for?

-strategical thinking (when and how to play a safety)
-increases your focus to run out
-increases your focus to play perfect safeties
-reduces the factor of luck

Nice but brutal game!

Give it a try and report here!

BeiberLvr
11-26-2012, 06:29 AM
ESPN had this game on a long time ago, but they called it sudden death 7 ball. I don't remember if it was a call pocket game or not though.

Fun game. I always enjoyed watching and playing.

jamesjr1963
11-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Hi guys,

I want to share a training game for rotational games
that I call perfect 7.

How to play it:
Maybe some of you still remember 7-ball...
This game is close to it, but different concerning important details:

You start breaking a rack (ring) of seven balls - 1 ball in front (right or left side of the ring) and the 7-ball in the center of the ring. (see picture)

-After the break the player has got the right to play a "push out" when he made a ball on the break, play a safety or can try to run out. In case no ball was made on the break, the opponent gets to the table and can decide if he wants to play safe, play a "push out" or he can try to run out by himself. (rules like in 9/10 ball)

THE CUE BALL ALWAYS STAYS WHERE IT CAME TO REST AFTER THE BREAK: Just like in 9/10-ball (Only exception is, when there was committed a foul on the break (e.g. a scratch of the cue ball)

In case the 7 ball is made on the break shot, it will be respotted and the player can continue his inning. In case there is any other ball on the spot, the player has got the right to decide if the 7-ball will be respottet as close as possible to the ball on the spot (like in 10 ball) or if the 7 ball will be respotted on the head spot (the spot on the other side of the table)

-During a game of perfect 7, each of both players has the right to play a "safety" BUT ONLY ONCE IN A GAME! important:THE SAFETY SHOT HAS TO BE ANNOUNCED BY THE PLAYER AT THE TABLE BEFORE TAKING THIS OPTION (otherwise not making the ball, will be considered a foul with consequence of ball in hand for the opponent!)

-EACH BALL IS A "DO OR DIE SHOT" WHICH MEANS THAT YOU ONLY HAVE THE OPTION TO PLAY AN ANNOUNCED SAFETY SHOT ONCE IN A GAME, OR YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE BALL. IN CASE THE PLAYER DOES NOT ANNOUNCE TO PLAY A SAFETY SHOT AND FAILS TO SINK THE BALL AT HAND, IT WILL BE CONSIDEREDA FOUL AND THE OPPONENT GETS BALL IN HAND.

-All balls (apart from obvious shots) have to be announced (like in 10-ball)

-combos are allowed (but have to be announced)

-making the 7-ball wins the game when announced
(7 ball = last ball/combo is allowed when announced, like in 10-ball)

What is this game good for?

-strategical thinking (when and how to play a safety)
-increases your focus to run out
-increases your focus to play perfect safeties
-reduces the factor of luck

Nice but brutal game!

Give it a try and report here!

The balls are racked wrong.

rrick33
11-26-2012, 08:02 AM
I believe ESPN often aired this game in a Round Robin format. It seems this game is good when you have 3 or more players and you want the game to move fast and allow every player ample opportunity to get a piece of the pie.

theUBC
11-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Perfect 7 is not 7 ball and is racked the way you see it in the picture...

Perhaps one of you gave it a try...

Any thoughts about this game?

Ekkes