PDA

View Full Version : never heard of such chit before

lorider
11-26-2012, 02:00 AM
last week a fellow league player told me about a local tournament she helps run at a dive bar not far from the pool hall i usually play at.

since our apa qualifier was cancelled due to lack of players i and a few other league players went with her to this tournament and i won it.

i found out they hold one every fri and sat night. after league fri i told her i wanted to play in it again fri night. she calls the other guy who also helps run it and says i am on my way with her to play in it. he says aint that the guy who won it last week, she says yea. he says tell him its too late and that we already started. he also told her since i won it last week i had to sit out a week before i could enter again.

when she told me that i really did not think much about it and went home. she heads to the bar which is about 10 minutes away to help with the tourny.

tonight at league she comes up to me saying when she got there fri night they were just about to start and in walks 2 more people which the guy running it lets enter the tourney.

now i could have been there 10 minutes before these 2 guys he let enter late but did not bother going because he lied to her about already starting the tourny.

have any of you ever had that shit pulled on you ?

ChrisBanks
11-26-2012, 02:05 AM
i've heard that sort of chit has been happening since the very first pool tournament.

Harold Smith
11-26-2012, 02:26 AM
The poolhall I used to play at, which is a very nice one, had a rule like that for their weekly 9-ball tournament. If you won this week you could not win next week. You didn't have to sit out, but you could not win. Everyone was cool with it, so I never gave it much thought. I thought it was a good way to keep entries up.---Smitty

ChrisBanks
11-26-2012, 02:36 AM
If I enter a tournament, is not my intention to try and beat the best players? Or alternatively, do I intend to try and beat only the very worst players?

Let us conduct the NFL playoffs, but ban the teams with the top 10 records in the regular season. And we win call the winner of this playoff the champion.

Luxury
11-26-2012, 02:43 AM
Am I missing something? You couldn't play no matter what so isn't it irrelevant whether you could have got there before those other two guys?

ChrisBanks
11-26-2012, 02:48 AM
Am I missing something? You couldn't play no matter what so isn't it irrelevant whether you could have got there before those other two guys?

you're very wise and have uncovered the inconsistency. maybe he was just testing our level of comprehension?

Buckzapper
11-26-2012, 03:04 AM
This is one way to keep the "Cherry Pickers" from including every ballbanger tournament in the area into their weekly income agenda. Usually those that win those tournaments week after week, rarely ever get up the nerve to gamble with a real player. Swindling beginners and laying down for B players is their forte. I like to call them pickpockets to their face, and I do.

ChrisBanks
11-26-2012, 03:07 AM
This is one way to keep the "Cherry Pickers" from including every ballbanger tournament in the area into their weekly income agenda. Usually those that win those tournaments week after week, rarely ever get up the nerve to gamble with a real player. Swindling beginners and laying down for B players is their forte. I like to call them pickpockets to their face, and I do.

How do they respond when you initiate the namecalling? Do they admit the accusation?

lorider
11-26-2012, 03:41 AM

yea... the fact that he lied and said the tournament had already started.

it did not start until after my friend had got there.

lorider
11-26-2012, 03:43 AM
you're very wise and have uncovered the inconsistency. maybe he was just testing our level of comprehension?

read above post. there was no reason for him to lie about the tournament had already started.

ChrisBanks
11-26-2012, 03:49 AM
read above post. there was no reason for him to lie about the tournament had already started.

It would have been better for him to have been honest with his intentions.

lorider
11-26-2012, 04:11 AM

i can see your point.

i do not fall in to that category. i am a frickin apa 5 and the tournament director knew it. i have played him in league before. he was not even there last week when i won the tournament, someone told him that i won it. my friend told me this was the 1st time he ever pulled that crap.

i have only played in a few tournaments outside of league and was wondering if this is a common occurance.

as for the gambling remark.... i did some in my younger years when i had some disposable income. unlike most players today i always played even, never giving weight and never asked for weight. nowadays the only type of gambling i do is buying lottery tickets :D

lorider
11-26-2012, 04:25 AM
It would have been better for him to have been honest with his intentions.

yea.. that is what irked me off about the whole situation. if a td will lie about the starting time , what other kind of shit would he pull ?

just wondering if you guys have faced this before ?

like i said earlier, i have very seldom played in tournaments outside of league.

this is a weekly fri and sat nite tourney. non handicapped , race to 2. cheap 5.00 entry and the bar owner matches the pot up to 100.00.

last week when i played in it i knew most of the players as they also play league. maybe the td thinks i am an apa sandbagger or just dont like my looks, hell i dont know. i just thought it was strange because my friend said this is the 1st time he ever pulled this.

i think i will take a page out of bugzappers book and get in his face and ask what the hell is going on .:grin-square:

ChrisBanks
11-26-2012, 04:29 AM
yea.. that is what irked me off about the whole situation. if a td will lie about the starting time , what other kind of shit would he pull ?

just wondering if you guys have faced this before ?

like i said earlier, i have very seldom played in tournaments outside of league.

this is a weekly fri and sat nite tourney. non handicapped , race to 2. cheap 5.00 entry and the bar owner matches the pot up to 100.00.

last week when i played in it i knew most of the players as they also play league. maybe the td thinks i am an apa sandbagger or just dont like my looks, hell i dont know. i just thought it was strange because my friend said this is the 1st time he ever pulled this.

i think i will take a page out of bugzappers book and get in his face and ask what the hell is going on .:grin-square:

I have a feeling I know what his response will be.

justadub
11-26-2012, 05:11 AM
Pool is never dull, is it Lorider?

RunoutJJ
11-26-2012, 05:15 AM
Why don't you just play the next week and win it again? Then sit out a week and then win it the following week? If he doesn't let you back in then tell him to shove off!!

cuesblues
11-26-2012, 05:23 AM
If I enter a tournament, is not my intention to try and beat the best players? Or alternatively, do I intend to try and beat only the very worst players?

Let us conduct the NFL playoffs, but ban the teams with the top 10 records in the regular season. And we win call the winner of this playoff the champion.

You are comparing a weekly 5-dollar "dive bar" tournament to the NFL playoffs?
That's interesting, I respect your passion for dive bar tournament pool.

lorider
11-26-2012, 05:37 AM
Pool is never dull, is it Lorider?

well... league has been kinda boring lately. there has not been an apa bashing thread to get into lately either. been working a lotta hours .

so.... i got inna bar tournament and won it and now i guess they think i am an older version of svb or something and dont wanna lemme play for a week.

lorider
11-26-2012, 06:00 AM
Why don't you just play the next week and win it again? Then sit out a week and then win it the following week? If he doesn't let you back in then tell him to shove off!!

it was not my intention to go every week to try to anap it off for the money. as i said last week was just to shoot some pool since our league qualifier was cancelled. this week i was going to take my gf and just have a night out playing pool and hanging out with people.

as i stated earlier i just thought it weird he singled me out to not play this week when my friend told me they have never done it to previous winners.

it aint like i am a world beater or something. there were only 16 people in it last week and i know for a fact 3 of them are better players than me day in and day out. it just happened i won due to the luck of the draw and a few rolls here and there. as its been said many a time on here anything can happen in a short race. it was non handicapped , double elimination , race to 2. i just happened to go undefeated last week, i seriously doubt i can do it every time i enter it.

woulda been nice to pull it off this past weekend though, it had 28 people in it this time she told me.

not sure if i will go back, hate being around nits like that. but then it would be nice to pull it off every other week and make him eat shit.:D

lorider
11-26-2012, 06:01 AM

i just gotta say it.... that is funny as hell.:grin-square:

ChrisBanks
11-26-2012, 06:17 AM

When making analogies, it is not necessary for both subjects to be comparable in size or any other characteristic. Could you not see the comparison being made?

The comparitive league used in this analogy is not even important, as it does not change the concept.

But I am also not willing to admit the size of the disparity between the bar tournament and the NFL just yet. For if the bar tournament is as important to Lorider as the NFL is to it's players, then are we not on equal footing?

TonyB2377
11-26-2012, 06:32 AM
I have seen this before that if you win, then you have to skip the next one. They are trying to prevent the other guys from saying why enter " enter name or names" is going to win anyway. I also drag race on a pretty serious level. We wil have Cash Bash races with a $100 entry and people who have spent $30-$60 grand on a race car that won't cough up a $100 because they figure they don't have a chance to win. We have 40-100 cars in my class at a weekly race and can't get 5 to 10 to pay the $100 entry for a cash bash that could pay you better than the regular race. Stupid mentality but it happens.

lorider
11-26-2012, 06:34 AM
When making analogies, it is not necessary for both subjects to be comparable in size or any other characteristic. Could you not see the comparison being made?

The comparitive league used in this analogy is not even important, as it does not change the concept.

But I am also not willing to admit the size of the disparity between the bar tournament and the NFL just yet. For if the bar tournament is as important to Lorider as the NFL is to it's players, then are we not on equal footing?

you are mistaken in what i think is important in life.

i just thought it was nitty as hell for a td to lie to keep an apa s/l 5 out of a tournament and asked if anyone on here has faced that situation.

if they were that important to me i would be in one every weekend. there are at least 6 or 7 going on every weekend in my town.

this was the 1st one i had played in for the last 8 years.

i played in one every weekend back then and the same guy usually won it every time. i usually placed anywhere from 6th to 2nd. even though the same guy won it 3 out of 4 times it was always packed with 30 or so players in it every week.

like i said, i have not played in many and wondered if this was the norm nowadays.

lorider
11-26-2012, 06:45 AM
I have seen this before that if you win, then you have to skip the next one. They are trying to prevent the other guys from saying why enter " enter name or names" is going to win anyway. I also drag race on a pretty serious level. We wil have Cash Bash races with a $100 entry and people who have spent $30-$60 grand on a race car that won't cough up a $100 because they figure they don't have a chance to win. We have 40-100 cars in my class at a weekly race and can't get 5 to 10 to pay the $100 entry for a cash bash that could pay you better than the regular race. Stupid mentality but it happens.

you were typing while i was lol. your answer is what i was wondering is the norm nowadays. like i said in my previous post i havent played in one in 8 years. the same guy usually won it and we always had a full field trying to knock him out.

i guess times have changed. just like gambling is now from what i have seen and heard. not too many puts up unless they feel they have a lock with a huge spot.

cuesblues
11-26-2012, 06:54 AM

I can't remember that last time an NFL player was told that he couldn't play because he was too good.
"Hey Peyton, the game has already started so don't bother showing up"

I don't think it was that important to lorider, he went to the bar with a chick he plays pool with, and didn't intend to rob anyone.
The bar owner should not of lied about it, but it's not unusual for semi-pro or shortstop level players to go around robbing the local neighborhood bar tournaments without spending any money.
The regulars and the league players complain, the bar owner gets involved, and sometimes I agree with it and sometimes I don't.
We are talking about the whims of a bar owner who was probably intoxicated.

Cornerman
11-26-2012, 06:54 AM
have any of you ever had that shit pulled on you ?Same chit, different way.

Freddie <~~~ they're protecting the lessers

JuicyGirl
11-26-2012, 07:27 AM
I understand it sucks but, if you won the previous week you gotta sit regardless of what time you made it to the dive bar.

Luckily I've never had this problem. :cool:

Maniac
11-26-2012, 08:18 AM
FTR, I have seen local tournaments where if you won one week, you had to sit out the next week. I have also seen it where you could win it two weeks in a row and then have to sit out a week.

There was no reason to lie to you about the tourney already starting. If he made the rule about not being able to play if you won the previous week, he was covered. Now, it is up to him to institute this rule on a weekly basis from now on or he IS screwing you.

Maniac

justadub
11-26-2012, 08:24 AM
FTR, I have seen local tournaments where if you won one week, you had to sit out the next week. I have also seen it where you could win it two weeks in a row and then have to sit out a week.

There was no reason to lie to you about the tourney already starting. If he made the rule about not being able to play if you won the previous week, he was covered. Now, it is up to him to institute this rule on a weekly basis from now on or he IS screwing you.

Maniac

^^^ this

Too bad he had to lie to you. That's the real issue here. Everything else can be dealt with.

Tramp Steamer
11-26-2012, 08:26 AM

I think that this is the best answer yet.
There's all kinds of ways to be lied to, lorider. Like the time my second wife was reading the newspaper. She says, "I see where a pack of shit eating dogs attacked a woman in our neighborhood."
I said, "How did you manage to survive?" :)

Cornerman
11-26-2012, 08:33 AM
last week a fellow league player told me about a local tournament she helps run at a dive bar not far from the pool hall i usually play at.

since our apa qualifier was cancelled due to lack of players i and a few other league players went with her to this tournament and i won it.

i found out they hold one every fri and sat night. after league fri i told her i wanted to play in it again fri night. she calls the other guy who also helps run it and says i am on my way with her to play in it. he says aint that the guy who won it last week, she says yea. he says tell him its too late and that we already started. he also told her since i won it last week i had to sit out a week before i could enter again.

when she told me that i really did not think much about it and went home. she heads to the bar which is about 10 minutes away to help with the tourny.

tonight at league she comes up to me saying when she got there fri night they were just about to start and in walks 2 more people which the guy running it lets enter the tourney.

now i could have been there 10 minutes before these 2 guys he let enter late but did not bother going because he lied to her about already starting the tourny.

have any of you ever had that shit pulled on you ?If I told you they didn't lie to you, would you believe me at this point?

Things happen. You called and you had already won and there was no reason to bend the "too late" since you couldn't play anyway. Two other guys come in and it's close, and since they didn't win they bent the "too late" to enter.

It's okay. Go there next week and keep an understanding cool head about it. Hell, take it as a compliment. Please.

Freddie <~~~ things could be worse

GeoEnvi
11-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Same chit, different way.

Freddie <~~~ they're protecting the lessers

Agreed...'protecting the lessers'

Nothing kills the attendance of a friendly neighborhood bar banger pool tourney faster than a 'league player' with all his/her:

- safeties;
- rule questions;
- fancy schmancy Players or CueTec fiberglass cue;
- cue case full of trinkets and pool paraphanalia; and
- hair on fire run-outs!

I ran such a tourney for the better part of 4 years. The natives get kinda restless if they've been paying to play every week for months and some cherrypicker had been winning week after week, leaving right after winning, cheaping the bartenders, and treating the tourney like an ATM withdrawal. Rightfully so...

Don't take it personal.

lorider
11-26-2012, 10:11 AM
ok guys ...some of you understand why i started this thread but some dont. i also think some of you have a missunderstanding of what type of player i am.

let me try to give you the lowdown on me without going through my life history.

i am not an A or B player skulking around in dive bars trying to rob unspecting bangers of their hard earned money. i am not a guy who comes on here bragging about running rack after rack. i am not one who gets in the chat room critisizing every miss svb, james waldon, robb saez etc etc has in their matches on the live stream shows. i have seen some of the posters on here bragging in the chat rooms they coulda , shoulda , woulda. why aint you got your ass in the tournament instead of the chat room if you are that good ?

what i am is..

a 58 year old man that has his best playing days in the past.

never was that good to begin with, maybe a low B player on his best days back then.

just like most people when they get up in age, failing eyesight, aches and pains from neglecting your body in your younger years.

a man that had a pretty serious injury 3 years ago that left him 35% disability in his right hand. a disability that causes pain every day, good days just a dull throbbing, bad days, an ache worse than that worse toothache you can imagine. also lost mobility in my fingers. can only wrap my thumb and index finger around a cue. those things has affected my playing ability considerably.

i just grin and bear it so i can play the game i love.

i went over a 20 year period without ever touching a cue doing the raising a family thing a lot of people on here have done.

i did not come on here *****ing and whining about the td not letting me play with the lesser guys, i dont think i am that good myself.

when he said i could not play due to winning the previous week i had no problem. i did not like the fact that 2 days later i found out he lied and that i was the 1st person he had ever barred from entering the tourny because i won it the previous week.

if he initiated that rule last week and continues to uphold it every week i would have no problem with it. but i still dont like a friggin liar.:mad:

i did not start this thread to complain, i was just curious if other people have faced this situation before. apparently some of you have.

bigshooter
11-26-2012, 10:16 AM
We used to hit some little weekly bar tournaments and were asked not to come back anymore. Apparently wiping out the bangers every week was ruining their 'just for fun' tournament. :rolleyes:

lorider
11-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Agreed...'protecting the lessers'

Nothing kills the attendance of a friendly neighborhood bar banger pool tourney faster than a 'league player' with all his/her:

- safeties;
- rule questions;
- fancy schmancy Players or CueTec fiberglass cue;
- cue case full of trinkets and pool paraphanalia; and
- hair on fire run-outs!

I ran such a tourney for the better part of 4 years. The natives get kinda restless if they've been paying to play every week for months and some cherrypicker had been winning week after week, leaving right after winning, cheaping the bartenders, and treating the tourney like an ATM withdrawal. Rightfully so...

Don't take it personal.

this tournament is run by league players under league rules.

the only difference is it is a non handicapped race to 2.

90% of the players in it the night i won were league players with s/l's from 3 to 7. i am a 5. there were 3 guys from my pool hall there that are pretty serious players. they dont play league, the apa is below them. i doubt that i would be considered a cherry picker that night ( btw.. 1st time i have ever heard that term). just got lucky i only had to face one of them that night and i got a few lucky rolls.;)

TheNewSharkster
11-26-2012, 10:36 AM

Did I miss something? You won the previous week which disqualified you from playing this week. A lot of tournaments have that same rule around here.

lorider
11-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Did I miss something? You won the previous week which disqualified you from playing this week. A lot of tournaments have that same rule around here.

yea... 2 things.

1. he lied about the starting time.

2. this was the 1st time he ever barred the previous weeks winner.

justadub
11-26-2012, 10:42 AM

The point is there wasn't such a rule until after he won, and the TD lied to him about playing the next week, telling him that it had already started, then allowing 2 more people to enter.

That's the whole gripe. Without the lying, there is no problem.

cuesblues
11-26-2012, 10:47 AM
ok guys ...some of you understand why i started this thread but some dont. i also think some of you have a missunderstanding of what type of player i am.

let me try to give you the lowdown on me without going through my life history.

i am not an A or B player skulking around in dive bars trying to rob unspecting bangers of their hard earned money. i am not a guy who comes on here bragging about running rack after rack. i am not one who gets in the chat room critisizing every miss svb, james waldon, robb saez etc etc has in their matches on the live stream shows. i have seen some of the posters on here bragging in the chat rooms they coulda , shoulda , woulda. why aint you got your ass in the tournament instead of the chat room if you are that good ?

what i am is..

a 58 year old man that has his best playing days in the past.

never was that good to begin with, maybe a low B player on his best days back then.

just like most people when they get up in age, failing eyesight, aches and pains from neglecting your body in your younger years.

a man that had a pretty serious injury 3 years ago that left him 35% disability in his right hand. a disability that causes pain every day, good days just a dull throbbing, bad days, an ache worse than that worse toothache you can imagine. also lost mobility in my fingers. can only wrap my thumb and index finger around a cue. those things has affected my playing ability considerably.

i just grin and bear it so i can play the game i love.

i went over a 20 year period without ever touching a cue doing the raising a family thing a lot of people on here have done.

i did not come on here *****ing and whining about the td not letting me play with the lesser guys, i dont think i am that good myself.

when he said i could not play due to winning the previous week i had no problem. i did not like the fact that 2 days later i found out he lied and that i was the 1st person he had ever barred from entering the tourny because i won it the previous week.

if he initiated that rule last week and continues to uphold it every week i would have no problem with it. but i still dont like a friggin liar.:mad:

i did not start this thread to complain, i was just curious if other people have faced this situation before. apparently some of you have.

Similar to your history, I am 60, first real job in 1967 was at a pool hall in Denver.
I quit playing for 30 years until my divorce in 02.
This certainly is not a whining thread, it's a good thread.
I've seen and heard many horror stories on this subject, from the semi-pro trying to enter a tournament as a 'B' player, to a player that was told he could play over the phone, but rejected when he got to the bar.
Inevitably a 3A player will enter an A & down tournament, and although I would find it awkward, these guys revel in beating up on the 'B' players.
It must be the big fish in the little pond thing.
It puts the tournament director or bar owner on the spot, so they limit the play or induce a handicap, and eventually they go away, because some of these guys just want to rob.
When the bar owner gets involved anything can happen, unless the bar is a billiards bar that has tournaments and leagues all the time.
Neighborhood bars are weird places to play pool at anyway.
I almost got 86'd one time during one of these 5-dollar tournaments for moving a plant that was in my way, because I forgot to move it back.
I've had guys in bars get mad because I brought my own chalk.
Speaking for myself, I didn't take your post that way, I thought you were there for the babe...:smile:

lorider
11-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Similar to your history, I am 60, first real job in 1967 was at a pool hall in Denver.
I quit playing for 30 years until my divorce in 02.
This certaw pool at anyinly is not a whining thread, it's a good thread.
I've seen and heard many horror stories on this subject, from the semi-pro trying to enter a tournament as a 'B' player, to a player that was told he could play over the phone, but rejected when he got to the bar.
Inevitably a 3A player will enter an A & down tournament, and although I would find it awkward, these guys revel in beating up on the 'B' players.
It must be the big fish in the little pond thing.
It puts the tournament director or bar owner on the spot, so they limit the play or induce a handicap, and eventually they go away, because some of these guys just want to rob.
When the bar owner gets involved anything can happen, unless the bar is a billiards bar that has tournaments and leagues all the time.
Neighborhood bars are weird places to play pool at anyway.
I almost got 86'd one time during one of these 5-dollar tournaments for moving a plant that was in my way, because I forgot to move it back.
I've had guys in bars get mad because I brought my own chalk.
Speaking for myself, I didn't take your post that way, I thought you were there for the babe...:smile:

never turn it down when a lady asks you to go somewhere.:smile:

lorider
11-26-2012, 10:52 AM
The point is there wasn't such a rule until after he won, and the TD lied to him about playing the next week, telling him that it had already started, then allowing 2 more people to enter.

That's the whole gripe. Without the lying, there is no problem.

spot on dub. you get an A for comprehension. :thumbup:

TheNewSharkster
11-26-2012, 11:01 AM
yea... 2 things.

1. he lied about the starting time.

2. this was the 1st time he ever barred the previous weeks winner.

I don't know the details about your first point except that you were on the way when you called. Is it possible two people didn't show and they let others into the tourny?

Whether it was the first time or the 10th time they didn't let the previous winner into the tourny doesn't really matter. What matters is the TD decided to implement that rule. I see rules changes in tournaments all the time. For example, they allowed 8ball breaks for a win but changed it after a player got 3 8ball breaks one night.

On a personal note I actually like having that rule in place. It means some really good player cannot come and take the money every week.

Look at the good side. At least you didn't waste your time and show up only to be told you couldn't play. Win it next week and get your revenge :-)

Cornerman
11-26-2012, 11:05 AM
spot on dub. you get an A for comprehension. :thumbup:

Sigh. I think everyone understood your post.

Freddie

xplor
11-26-2012, 11:19 AM
In the 50s there was a free 8-ball team tournament where you drew numbers for partners. First prize was a week of table time. If you won you had to sit out a week. This is not a new rule.

Donny Lutz
11-26-2012, 11:46 AM

If that's the worst that happens to you, consider yourself lucky!
Pool hall owners are not always into fairness.

About ten years ago I played in a local tourney and found myself undefeated and in the finals. As we were about to begin the match, the owner walks through, says something to the league director and walks out the door. The LD then informs me that they have a rule that someone cannot win the first tournament they play in at that establishment!!!
Bizarre, as I had played in the same tourney a few months before and gone 2 and out. Anyway, the TD told me I could either split first and second with the other player, or accept second place.

In my 58 years of playing, I've seen lots of that kind of crap...

Spider1
11-26-2012, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't let it bother you too much op. it's their tournament, and who really cares if he pulls stunts like that? Laugh at his chickensh1t antics and move on.

Incidentally, years and years ago I used to play in a Sunday rec level tournament in a small town.it was a fun little tourney, and sometimes (football season, lol) it would get a decent size crowd and payout ($300-400 winner amount, etc). Then three friends who were all a/minus type players started showing up and taking 1-2-3 every week. Crowd died out quickly, so the td instituted a rule that the tournament was for town residents only ( and they checked I'd!), so those three were out and everyone was pretty happy again except for those guys.

Incidentally, I was allowed to continue in the tourney for a month despite living an hour outside town. I had been playing in it for quite some time so maybe they knew me, or more likely knew how unspectacular I shot. But a month later some guy I beat got pissy and complained so i was out too. No big deal...I understand why they did what they did.

/longboringostoryover

lorider
11-26-2012, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't let it bother you too much op. it's their tournament, and who really cares if he pulls stunts like that? Laugh at his chickensh1t antics and move on.

Incidentally, years and years ago I used to play in a Sunday rec level tournament in a small town.it was a fun little tourney, and sometimes (football season, lol) it would get a decent size crowd and payout ($300-400 winner amount, etc). Then three friends who were all a/minus type players started showing up and taking 1-2-3 every week. Crowd died out quickly, so the td instituted a rule that the tournament was for town residents only ( and they checked I'd!), so those three were out and everyone was pretty happy again except for those guys.

Incidentally, I was allowed to continue in the tourney for a month despite living an hour outside town. I had been playing in it for quite some time so maybe they knew me, or more likely knew how unspectacular I shot. But a month later some guy I beat got pissy and complained so i was out too. No big deal...I understand why they did what they did.

/longboringostoryover

thanks for sharing your experience. apparently a lot of you have had the same experience i did last weekend. i have limited experience with these local tourney. as i stated earlier the last time i played in one was about 8 years ago.

i played in this same weekly tourny for about 4 months. the same guy almost always won it. there was no complaining or threatening to quit. it was always full with the same 25-30 guys every week.

the only talk going on was a lil trash talk amongst the players about who was coming in 2nd or 3rd because it was almost a forgone conclusion who was coming in 1st.

i did not get upset about not playing. i got upset about the way he handled it by lying.

fathomblue
11-26-2012, 06:28 PM
The one detail I caught was that Lorider WAS going to go to the disputed tournament, but when he was told that it had already started, THEN he just decided to go on home.

A couple of posters appeared to think that since he couldn't go to the tournament anyway, then he shouldn't have a gripe. Just wanted to clear that point up. Lorider, feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong.

I see both sides of the argument. The owner/tourney director is protecting the "integrity" of the tournament and trying to ensure that there's as much participation as possible week in and week out.

HOOOOOWEVER, I personally still think it's horse$hit to protect the "lesser" players. But then again.....I'm the C-player that enters the Southern Classic in Tunica and the White Diamonds Calcutta in Lafayette full-well knowing I'll get my head handed to me.

And why do I do that you ask? Because I LOVE pool and I want to be a better player. Plus, I love mixin' it up with the big boys. I don't ask for a spot, whether I need it or not. School of hard knocks, I suppose. I wish everyone that played pool felt that way, but I digress.

At a local bar in this area, they have lil tournaments that are sudden death 1-game matches, double elimination. However, if you win the tourney, the next week, you have to win 2 games to your opponent's 1. If you win again, it goes up to 3 games the following week. And so on. I think if you don't win one week, your "handicap" drops back down a game. And so forth.

Personally, if I ran a place of fairly regular players, whether it be bangers or decent league players looking to shoot some on their "nights off", I'd set up a mini-format that went on for say, 3 months. Call it a quarterly. That would be 12 tournaments, at a rate of once a week. Every place in a weekly field earns points. If there's 20 players, then the winner gets 20 points. On down to 1 point for last. If there's 8 players, 8 points for first and 1 for last. Easy to keep up with. Put up a big tournament board over the bar. Make it look like you at least give a damn and promote it a bit.

If you win the weekly tournament, you earn an invite to an end-of-the-quarter money-added field. So, you'd have players scrambling to get that automatic berth (although, I'd still have them pay an entry fee into that big, final showdown).

You could bump a winner's handicap up every week that they take 1st, to make it progressively harder for them, with a cap of 3 victories. If they take 3 weekly's, tell them congrats, we'll see you at the end of the quarter (maybe give them some free table time or a steak dinner, as an incentive to keep showing up at your establishment) OR they could keep playing for weekly points, but wouldn't be eligible for any weekly money, since they've won their maximum 3 events.

The finals could be seeded by those earned points, so that there would be some incentive to keep participating and go for the high points to possibly get a bye or better draw.

Anyway, I'm a bit off-topic, but it seems like it's more than a bit of laziness to simply exclude someone because they win something.

Owners/directors should put on their thinking caps and figure out a way to increase participation and yet NOT punish people for being better players, whether it be one great night of shooting or a night in and night out kinda thing.

And IF ANYTHING, Lorider, would it have made you feel a bit better if the tourney director just pulled you aside and said to you mano y mano,....... "Listen, I know it sux, but you blew thru our field last time. It's nitty, but I'll have to make you sit out a week, because I hate to scare the lesser players off. I'd love to have you back the week after that, tho. We'll put you on a small handicap and and inform the regular players that we'll progressively make it harder for people to cherrypick. But, that it's still up to them to come in here and shoot good enough to earn the dough. I hope you understand."

Banks
11-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Fathom, the bigger problem seems to be that the guy running the tourney made exceptions for people he knew and started a rule after an APA 5 took it down. If a tool like that runs it, I wouldn't waste my time going back.

I played in one similar to what you described. I did well the first time, taking the 8b tourney and then getting 2nd in 9b(held one after the one). The next time I showed up, I had to win an extra 3 or something. I don't think I went back after that, because I'm not big on throwing money away just to have a handicap drop to a reasonable spot.

Lorider, maybe the TD was like a friend of mine.. he saw a 5/6(or 6/6 maybe) shooting one time and came next door to tell me about this way underrated player that shot better than so-and-so, better CB control than me, blah blah blah. When he told me the nickname(somebody I have played a few times), I think I laughed my friend out the door. You probably did play well enough to get them all butt-hurt. Give yourself a pat on the back and see if you can find another one to rob. ;)

PickPocket
11-26-2012, 06:47 PM

Oh Great.... Now my Moniker is tainted!!! ;):eek:

david(tx)
11-26-2012, 07:18 PM

Hard to cherry pick a race to 1 weekly. Only recently i played a weekly for the first time in a long time and it was a race to 2 winners and 1 losers.I'd consider it motivation to improve if some guy was running over the tournament all the time.Are we talking 5 and 10 dollar entry weekly's? I play them to get out and do something i enjoy and people spend more on a pack of cigarettes or smokeless tobacco or a certain beer brand and bar prices.

It would be nice to play a weekly that drew at least 20 on a consistant basis that was played on decent tables.It would be nice to live close to some place like the Carom Room.

crawfish
11-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Some pool players show up, drink water, and win the local tourney. As an owner now.....no thanks.

Hell, if I show up, they prolly get the winnings back in beer sales!

Maniac
11-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Some pool players show up, drink water, and win the local tourney. As an owner now.....no thanks.

I used to shoot fairly regularly in a small, local 8-ball tournament on Friday nights in a small bar (4 tables) that I shot APA leagues out of. There were mostly regular bar patrons and players entered ($5 entry fee) that shot leagues in this bar and the rules were always APA rules. Well, the bar owner decided to start adding enough money to where the winner of this tournament got $100. Guess what happened after that? Yep, players started coming out of the woodwork to play in this tournament and there was this one guy that after he snapped it off a couple times without ever so much as spending a dime in this place, got barred permanently from playing in the tournament. Eventually, the bar owner wouldn't let anyone play in the tournament who didn't play APA leagues in our League Area. That made the regulars/league players a lot happier.

The one thing I didn't like about this tournament was that it didn't pay anything for second place. I told the bar owner many times that this is going to hurt the tournament's participation eventually, and it did. In about 3 months, there was no longer enough showing up to have a decent size field.

I won that tournament a few times and always threw $25 or $30 to the second place finisher. The rest I spent on buying a round of drinks or two (or three) for my good friends.

Maniac

Adam Brown
11-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Me, my brother, and a friend of mine all loaded up one evening and decided to play in a tournament about an hour away from our usual spot. We got there and didn't know that many people, but had seen a few around here and there. The owner of the pool hall seemed nice and we shot for a while before the tournament started. Well to make a long story short, it came down to me, my brother, and the owners "best guy". The "best guy" got beat and the owner told me, my brother, and friend that we could not come back anymore because we were too good.

I think it has something to do with the connection between an owner and their people that are regulars. When a stranger comes in and beats someone that is always supposed to win then you are automatically the bad guy because his game isn't what they thought it was.

Thanks, Adam

lorider
12-02-2012, 08:22 AM
i had a bye this past fri night in league so i thought i would go back to this weekly tourny again after sitting out last week.

i get there early and grab a beer and put some quarters up on a table after asking the 2 players if they mind me getting in a game with them.
this place has 8 tables and all of them were being used. this place was packed.

a lil while later the td comes by and says he cant get enough players to have a tournament. before i had a chance to say anything he turns around and heads out the door leaving the bar. i musta stood there with a wtf ? look on my face for a minute or 2 then just laughed it off and went back to playing. i was just wanting a warm up for a jack and jill scotch doubles tournament i was playing in the next day.

instead of making one long ass post here let me tell you about it in another post.

Majic
12-02-2012, 08:26 AM

I have seen places where they take the winners photo and place it in display for the month they have to sit out.

lorider
12-02-2012, 08:52 AM
this was an apa jack and jill scotch doubles tourny. it a a combined 10 handicap limit. it drew 24 teams iirc. between the 10 per team entry, bar added money and the calcatta it was over 1,000.00 in prize money. i dont know the break down but they payed to 4th place.

my tue night captain asked me to be her partner, she is only a 2 and i figured we aint got a chance in hell to win but it only cost 5.00 a piece and i said ok because i just love to play pool:D

as i said this was a 10 s/l handicap. i am a 5 and she is a 2.

our 1st opponents were a combined 10, both players are 5's. the race was 4-3. we won 3-1. i thought wow :eek:

2nd match was against a 5 and a 3. we won 3-0. again i thought wow !

3rd match was just like the 2nd . again wow !.

we had a 2 hour wait till our next match. against a 6 and a 3 . we lost 4-2.

the last match we lost 4-2 against a 7 and a 2. we were on the hill and my teamate rattled the pocket on a real easy shot on the 8 ball. it was a heartbreaker as we finished in 5th, 1 spot outa the money.

a while later i went outside for some fresh air and also to check on my bike. i found my partner outside with tears in her eyes. i asked whats the matter ? she said she was sorry she let me down. she said we finished 1 spot outa the money and it was her fault. i said hey you aint the 1st person to ever chole on the 8 and darn sure wont ne the last.

i said besides i made a mistake or 2 in the 1st match we lost . she said what mistakes ? i said a couple of times i got out of position leaving you harder shots than i should have. i said that is what put us in the losers bracket to begin with. i said if we had won that game we was guaranteed 4th anyway no matter what we did after that match.

i said we both shot real well and that i was suprised we made it as far as we did. i told her we will do better next time. she said , you mean you would play with me again, i said sure why not ? after all its only a game:wink:

justadub
12-02-2012, 09:59 AM
this was an apa jack and jill scotch doubles tourny. it a a combined 10 handicap limit. it drew 24 teams iirc. between the 10 per team entry, bar added money and the calcatta it was over 1,000.00 in prize money. i dont know the break down but they payed to 4th place.

my tue night captain asked me to be her partner, she is only a 2 and i figured we aint got a chance in hell to win but it only cost 5.00 a piece and i said ok because i just love to play pool:D

as i said this was a 10 s/l handicap. i am a 5 and she is a 2.

our 1st opponents were a combined 10, both players are 5's. the race was 4-3. we won 3-1. i thought wow :eek:

2nd match was against a 5 and a 3. we won 3-0. again i thought wow !

3rd match was just like the 2nd . again wow !.

we had a 2 hour wait till our next match. against a 6 and a 3 . we lost 4-2.

the last match we lost 4-2 against a 7 and a 2. we were on the hill and my teamate rattled the pocket on a real easy shot on the 8 ball. it was a heartbreaker as we finished in 5th, 1 spot outa the money.

a while later i went outside for some fresh air and also to check on my bike. i found my partner outside with tears in her eyes. i asked whats the matter ? she said she was sorry she let me down. she said we finished 1 spot outa the money and it was her fault. i said hey you aint the 1st person to ever chole on the 8 and darn sure wont ne the last.

i said besides i made a mistake or 2 in the 1st match we lost . she said what mistakes ? i said a couple of times i got out of position leaving you harder shots than i should have. i said that is what put us in the losers bracket to begin with. i said if we had won that game we was guaranteed 4th anyway no matter what we did after that match.

i said we both shot real well and that i was suprised we made it as far as we did. i told her we will do better next time. she said , you mean you would play with me again, i said sure why not ? after all its only a game:wink:

Very cool.

And I bet she doesn't stay a 2 very long, either. Sounds like she is engaged in the game, and with people like you helping her, she'll only get better. It should be fun to watch her progress.