PDA

View Full Version : Predator 1080 Chalk Reviews...

Espartaco_7
11-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Does anybody have a review on predator 1080 chalk?

How does it compares to Kamui, Blue Diamond and Master?

Thanks.

Houstoer
11-26-2012, 11:31 AM
I bought a sleeve. Don't like it. Its a little grittier than masters and doesn't stay on a kamui tip very well at all. I have Kamui, masters, blue diamond and predator chalk. I like the kamui but don't like the price; between masters and blue diamond I'll the blue diamond any day. I put Predator chalk last. I have a predator cue with a predator shaft so thought I would give it a try. another buddy of mine I gave a cube to doesn't like it either. Like I said its gritty and when you hit the cue ball it stays real nice on the cue ball but not on the tip very well :)

RShellhouse
11-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Strangely enough my results were pretty much the opposite of the previous poster

I have a kamui medium black and like the Predator better than the blue diamond...requires more chalking than the kamui....but works just as well in my eyes...

It also doesn't require some special package or tupperware to store it in...

(Yeah I am pretty bitter over the two cubes of kamui which were cracked and splitting when I opened the package)

R

Manoman2444
11-26-2012, 12:00 PM
There is another poster on Cue Accessory Reviews that states he really likes it also.

Espartaco_7
11-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Strangely enough my results were pretty much the opposite of the previous poster

I have a kamui medium black and like the Predator better than the blue diamond...requires more chalking than the kamui....but works just as well in my eyes...

(Yeah I am pretty bitter over the two cubes of kamui which were cracked and splitting when I opened the package)

R

WOW! Two opposite opinions........... I think IŽll spent 10 dollars to try.......

Jaden
11-26-2012, 12:20 PM
WOW! Two opposite opinions........... I think IŽll spent 10 dollars to try.......

I really like it and the octagonal shape is more than just aesthetic since it will wear down without creating as much of a crater as square chalk.

Jaden

Houstoer
11-26-2012, 12:21 PM
wow very suprised anyone likes this. Maybe I got a bad sleeve? not sure but it doesn't even compare to the other ones; even my bud who is a very strong player thinks also. Like I said maybe I got a bad sleeve? Give it a try and see for yourself; for $10 for 5 cubes is not an expensive try. I'm on to predator tips next :)

bob b.
11-26-2012, 12:53 PM
I have been using it for a while now. I like it much better than Masters. Goes on very nice, covers well.

I agree with this review:

http://selectbilliards.com/product/predator-chalk-1080-pure/

Bob B.

swisslife77
11-27-2012, 01:36 AM
One thing I like over all.....
The paper cover is "moisture proof" !! :thumbup:
So unlike BlueDiamond or any others, even if you keep the cube in your hands for a while , the paper won't peel off, which is why usually I have to trhow away my chalk at 1/3 of its life!!

As for performance, I place same as BD.

Like Kamui 0.98, but the price stinks!! And it cuts down my pre-shot routine, reason why I gave up!!

cuenut
11-27-2012, 06:10 AM
HD chalk! Cool! They could have named it 1080p.

Mezz'd up
11-27-2012, 06:40 AM
I got it about 2 weeks ago, I liked how it was packaged. Pre-wrapped and then placed in a tube. I suppose Predator will have their own chalk holders come out soon as well.

I had high hopes of finding a chalk I really like. Like the old Masters. And I am not a Kamui Chalk fan either. Too expensive. And it makes marks all over my table cloth, it was obviously designed to work with Blue cloth.

I like cue tip to almost sound like sandpaper over the tip - the gritty sound as It does give me that extra confidence the tip has chalk all over it. But to my sadness, it was hard and just awkward to use with the octagonal shape.

I might give it another chance later today but so-far the chalk that seems to work ok is Balabuska... some people say it's made by Blue Diamond, but it seems a little softer.

make your own judgments on the Predator but so far it's thumbs down for me...

seven_7days
11-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Is it a LD chalk?

tjsupra2003
12-11-2012, 10:29 AM
The shape is most definitely a common complaint. I've been using it for about two weeks and I love it. It's affordable doesn't make a mess like kamui and blue diamond.
This is the chalk for me.

trob
12-11-2012, 11:34 AM
No matter then masters in my opinion. A lot of bs hype like most predator products lol

pwd72s
12-11-2012, 01:01 PM
No matter then masters in my opinion. A lot of bs hype like most predator products lol

without hype, where would pool be? ;)

Shazar
12-11-2012, 02:15 PM
I wasn't impressed

Prefer BLue Diamond

Predator 1080 is very close to masters

Chesspoolguy
02-05-2013, 01:26 PM
This is very good chalk. Not in the same legue as Kamui, but neither is the price! You can't shoot 20 games in a row like u can w Kamui. The upside is that u can use this on every shot like u would w masters and not feel like ur breaking the bank! It grips and gives better English than masters and u can keep ur pre-shot routine. That isn't possible w Kamui. IF u can adjust ur game to NOT include chalking, Kamui IS the best chalk out there, hands down. But if part of ur pre-shot routine is to chalk up before EVERY shot Predator is a great alternative to Masters.

Luther Blissett
02-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Love using it. The only down side is that if you drop it on the floor, the octagonal shape tends to let it roll a bit further before it stops, thus making it a bit hard to find sometimes.

Realizm
02-05-2013, 02:20 PM
I like it . I don't miss cue at all.. I like it..

GoldCrown
02-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Not impressed. I'll take a gross of Master for $19.00 over 5 pieces of Pred for $8.00

sawtex
02-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Played two six hour session and a four hour without one single miscue. Table in both cases had not one speck of pred chalk. Lite chalk every other shot. First cube looks like at least double the mileage compared to the previous brand. Best chalk for the money hands down IMHO. Pocket chalker I use sticks to the bottom of the cube so no problem with the shape.

AcuraHeel
02-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Works great for me!

Black Cat 5791
02-05-2013, 09:25 PM
I like it alot, good grip, good coverage, and even wear. Price is more than Masters but not as much as or as messy as Kamuii.

Black Cat :cool:

sk8ordie
02-06-2013, 01:39 AM
I didn't think it was anything special because it was still messy when you chalk. I went back to Masters and miscued a bit, do to human error. One night I just grabbed my 1080 chalk out and used it again and noticed it went on my tip better than Masters did. I did a side by side comparison and 1080 applied alot better to the tip. I bought 2 more 1080 chalks and will use that or BD since they're not $50 a cube. Worth the money I think.

tablerunna
02-06-2013, 10:28 AM
I picked some up a month ago and like it, so does everyone else at the pool hall. I'm chalking every 4 or 5 shots and have no problems. Sticks very well to my cheap triangle tips and i get very little to no dust.

JCMn
02-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I started using Predator Chalk about a month ago. I had previously been using Blue Diamond for about 2 years.

I picked up a "sleeve" of Predator (5 pieces I think) for $10. I was paying ~$7 for 2 pieces of Blue Diamond.

The Predator seems to go on a little better than Blue Diamond, and I haven't had any miscue issues.

I like it. Definitely better than Masters. I also think Blue Diamond is better than Masters.

Adam Brown
02-06-2013, 05:54 PM
I had a guy give me one cube and I used it for two days. I was a little disappointed in the results. I have a kamui black medium tip and it didn't want to stay on very well. It seems to glaze over really fast. I swapped back over to masters after I gave my tip a good scuffing.

Thanks, Adam

LoWang
02-14-2013, 01:04 PM
It won't replace my Kamui but it is a 2nd choice.

For the people that prefer chalk holders(I'm not one of them) the predator octagonal shape fits in a standard chalk holder. They just cut the corners off a standard cube of chalk to cut back on waste I presume.

Gogafem
02-14-2013, 02:08 PM
I only have 1 piece. I have a Poison AR5 cue with a hard tip(I think it's a Moori, but not sure). Part of my pre-shot routine usually involves chalking, however I seem to be able to go on without miscues for like 5 shots when I'm just playing a friendly game and position play isn't that hard. That's as far as I've tried without chalking, I'll have to try and see how long it takes to miscue. The feel to it is a bit different than Masters when chalking, but only so slightly. It's in a lot of ways similar to Masters. I love Masters, but I love Predator 1080 more. Guess a lot about it is the logo, giving you confidence ;)...

By the way... When I first got this chalk and tried it on my old, cheaper cue which has a Kamui Black Medium tip, the hit felt a lot better, but on a higher-end cue I guess it's not as noticeable...

Cuemaster98
02-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Love these predator chalks, they apply very well on the tip, with my CM360 tips...I chalked once and took like 50 shots before I miss cue.

Duc.

Luther Blissett
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Just placed an order for five more...

prewarhero
02-15-2013, 03:20 PM
I can't understand these reviews. I bought a sleeve to try and find blue diamond to be way better. Actually I found i was miscueing more than with master chalk. Would never buy again.

Luther Blissett
02-15-2013, 03:27 PM
I can't understand these reviews. I bought a sleeve to try and find blue diamond to be way better. Actually I found i was miscueing more than with master chalk. Would never buy again.
I think quality control might be a bit poor.

Seems that even within a single sleeve of 1080 you can get a "bad one". Still, last time I bought five and they all turned out to do the job well, so I'm going to take the gamble again...

Dorkhedeos
03-04-2013, 08:36 PM
I am relatively new and I have only used generic chalks, Silvercup, Master, and Predator 1080 so far. However, I would say I like the Predator chalk the best, then Master, Silvercup, and generic being last.

I did a few tests and I miscued less with the Predator than I did with Master. I was able to draw the cue ball the same amount with both chalks, but I was able to do it more consistently with the Predator chalk.

The Predator 1080 definitely lasts longer than the master. I can pull the same draw shots 2-3 times without re-chalking with the Predator 1080. I had to chalk up with Master every shot if I wanted to draw heavily.

I would suggest at least trying a sleeve of this stuff, its cheap enough even for students. I would like to try Blue Diamond, but being a student on a budget, I can't bring myself to do it. 7 dollars for 2 pieces of chalk is just a little too much for me now. However, 9 bucks for 5 pieces of stuff that is supposed to be better than Blue Diamond was easier to justify.

scsuxci
03-05-2013, 05:34 AM
Kamui Black mediums are tips that need scuffing no matter
what chalk you use.

If people like the concept,they'll find enough reasons to justify using the
product.
Not saying Predator chalk is bad cause I have some and it works great
but when I hear people saying They can play racks without chalking,tells
me they played more center ball.

If I play center ball and natural angles,I don't need any chalk at all and won't miscue ever,unless I start juicing the ball.

SakuJack
03-05-2013, 05:40 AM
I had a tube delivered a couple of weeks ago but haven't found any time to play until last night, and I really like it. It's thicker than the masters, stays on the tip will and grips the cue ball. I'll be using it from now on.

If I play center ball and natural angles,I don't need any chalk at all and won't miscue ever,unless I start juicing the ball.

Yeah but what fun is that?

scsuxci
03-05-2013, 05:58 AM
I had a tube delivered a couple of weeks ago but haven't found any time to play until last night, and I really like it. It's thicker than the masters, stays on the tip will and grips the cue ball. I'll be using it from now on.

Yeah but what fun is that?
Not that much,but you'd be shocked how well you start playing
by using natural angles and middle ball without ever chalking.

I played a 3hour session without using a stitch of chalk,still ran tables
and miscued once trying to put a bit of siding on a shot.

Its not as fun as spinning the ball,but it really gets your brain in a mode
that you don't really need to spin the ball that much.

flyvirginiaguy
03-24-2013, 06:33 AM
I have been perfectly fine with Master chalk for many many years. Never been much into the chalks craze. However, a friend gave me a piece of Predator chalk, and I really like it. Not really because Masters was not good enough at what it does, but the Predator chalk is much cleaner on the hands (and I am sure the shaft) than Master chalk, and coats my Kamui Black Soft tip better. I was confident in any kind of english on the ball right from the start.
But I chalk every shot, habit...
I did notice at the end of about 4 hours of play, my hands did not have that blue caked on chalk we are all familiar with in using Masters chalk.

Going on to the Kamui, they make a great tip imo, but the chalk I dunno lol... It coats well etc... But I would relate it to girls shopping the lipstick isle at wal mart. But I guess you can always have a blue measal cue ball.

Good stuff the Predator...

Gogafem
03-24-2013, 07:45 AM
I personally like it. Got 1 piece and now ordered a tube of 5. Similar to masters I think.

jwe711
03-24-2013, 09:45 AM
I like it...works really good for me...grips on my tip, stays on really well, and I'd recommend it to anyone...who likes to feel out new products...

Now, I am a believer in Pre-Flag Green chalks...it seems to be of a finer grit, and stays on really good, and I seldom miscue with it...

but, when it comes to these newer chalks, it's really hard to distinguish a difference, as they are all good, especially, if you chalk after every shot...so, overall, there's not much difference in my opinion...(which the same could also be said about the "newer" masters chalk...)...!

Kaptivative
03-24-2013, 10:35 AM
I use Blue Diamond and I love it.

I have been tempted to give Balabuska a try..........anyone ever use that one?

ingins
03-24-2013, 10:37 AM
I just switched to kamui chalk and I love it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

prewarhero
03-24-2013, 10:54 AM

Revised:
I have since given Magic Chalk a try. I find it much smoother than even Blue Diamond. Its great!

prewarhero
03-24-2013, 10:55 AM
I think quality control might be a bit poor.

Seems that even within a single sleeve of 1080 you can get a "bad one". Still, last time I bought five and they all turned out to do the job well, so I'm going to take the gamble again...

The one I had was very powdery, left silt and I miscued more in 10 minutes of use then I have in 6 months. I gave the piece to a friend and he like it. Go figure.

spanky79
03-24-2013, 10:05 PM

R

just get a hold of John Bertone, I'm sure there is something he can do about the Kamui Chalk issue

Vahmurka
03-25-2013, 04:10 AM
I have been tempted to give Balabuska a try..........anyone ever use that one?try it and figure out how it works for you. My primary chalk was World Legend (same manufacturer as Blue Diamond but I liked the grit better), then I added Balabushka Performance, then came Predator and the cubes I use are Predator and World Legend. Not because Balabushka is bad but it either doesn't go along with my current tip or simply suffered from low-moisture environment. I noticed I miscued sometimes with it, as opposed to other two. With Predator I can even get lazy and miss chalking routine a couple of shots ;)
At tournament play I use Predator now. Good quality for a great price.

LPHooper03
03-25-2013, 05:31 AM
I got a piece of the Predator 1080 from a buddy and to me it doesn't seem any different than Masters. My miscues didn't go down at all and I find myself getting frustrated at my tip more often than I should. Used it for a couple weeks and probably wouldn't buy again. I would like to try blue diamond or kamui to give a solid review though.

hang-the-9
03-25-2013, 08:12 AM
I use Blue Diamond and I love it.

I have been tempted to give Balabuska a try..........anyone ever use that one?

Balabushka is good chalk.

In order or "grittiness" to me, of the ones that I used:

Masters - Predator (almost a tie there), Balabushka - Blue Diamond (also close to each other), Magic Chalk.

The softer chalks have a better feel to them when chalking and go on smoother. After using the smooth chalks, when I use Masters it feels and sounds to me like I'm sanding my tip instead of chalking it :)

RShellhouse
03-25-2013, 08:25 AM
just get a hold of John Bertone, I'm sure there is something he can do about the Kamui Chalk issue

I spoke to the local Kamui rep whose first question was how i was storing it.

When I told him in the little bag then where was I storing it and so on and so on....

Shortly thereafter Kamui changed the formula and posted this announcement
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=10044

Offering to replace unopened pieces but basically any open piece you were out of luck.

This was EXACTLY the problem I brought up. Exactly the symptoms my chalk suffered. I was given the impression that the chalk doing this was a failure on my part either in storage or transportation or whatever.

I honestly thought Kamui's new product to be released at the Expo was going to be a small tupperware storage type device. In which case I might have reconsidered my stance on Kamui chalk. It's not. Do not get me wrong. I think the chalk is excellent. I however do not have 30-60 bucks to throw away and so until i use up the broken cracked pieces I have I will not be buying anymore. As it is broken and cracked I rarely use it so...

Rick

lvlss42190
03-31-2013, 06:57 PM
I recently found an online store on ebay, billiardsheaven? maybe. I don't remember exactly but they offer a sample pack of chalk for like 10 dollars that has one of each of the 5 major brands. Predator 1080, blue diamond, balabushka and I forget the others as I have not used them yet.

It seems to me like predators chalk is okay but it didn't stick to the tip on my break cue very well even after a light scuffing it just wasn't adhering. ( I use a McDermott Stinger with a synthetic tip) As far as on my play cue it seemed to be nothing special.

The blue diamond went on effortlessly on both cues and even helped me to control the break a little better which from my experience is a little touch and go using a phenolic tip.

Balabushka is somewhere inbetween, I did notice that it stuck to my break cue better than the predator chalk but not quite as good as blue diamond.
however, balabushka seemed to stick to the tip longer. If you ask me I think Balabushka and blue diamond need to have a love child together that doesn't cost 30 dollars a cube and all would be right in the world.