PDA

View Full Version : Bonus Ball Summary?

TSW
11-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Can someone summarize Bonus Ball? I've barely heard about it and while the forum is exploding with threads, I can't figure out what the game is and what's going on at the pro and amateur levels.

The Bonus Ball website lists 10 separate PDFs of rules, plus separate "advanced rules," all under the rather ironic statement that "WE HAVE NOW SIMPLIFIED THE RULES." See http://www.playbonusball.com/newrules.html.

What I can gather is that I need to buy a $200 set of balls to play, once I figure out how to play. I am trying to keep an open mind but so far I'm not seeing the attraction.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisBanks
11-26-2012, 03:13 PM
No, incorrect. It does not make sense that you would need to buy a set.

You could simply play with 4 solids, 4 stripes, and an 8-ball. This is not hard to conceive.

RobertaAgnor
11-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Can someone summarize Bonus Ball? I've barely heard about it and while the forum is exploding with threads, I can't figure out what the game is and what's going on at the pro and amateur levels.

The Bonus Ball website lists 10 separate PDFs of rules, plus separate "advanced rules," all under the rather ironic statement that "WE HAVE NOW SIMPLIFIED THE RULES." See http://www.playbonusball.com/newrules.html.

What I can gather is that I need to buy a $200 set of balls to play, once I figure out how to play. I am trying to keep an open mind but so far I'm not seeing the attraction.

Thanks in advance.

I had some of the pros trying to explain it to me last year & couldn't understand it either. When I watched just the first few minutes of this video it all started making sense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLicir0fxm0&feature=share

Hope this helps!

dorabelle
11-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Do the teams have to travel?

Blue Hog ridr
11-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Lenny was good enuff to explain the basics to me via PM.

Once you have that and watch a bit, it comes together easier.

I'm sure its more complicated than what was explained to me, but its a start.

ChrisBanks
11-26-2012, 03:49 PM
It's very easy to understand friends, there are 3 matches on youtube, and you will understand after watching those.

RobertaAgnor
11-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Do the teams have to travel?

It's my understanding that, for at least this first season, they will be playing at the facility in Las Vegas only.

RobertaAgnor
11-26-2012, 03:51 PM
It's very easy to understand friends, there are 3 matches on youtube, and you will understand after watching those.

I agree, after I watched the beginning of that video I had no problem understanding it at all. It just is very confusing if someone tries to explain it without you having seen it played.

dorabelle
11-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Who covers their living expenses? A bunch of gamblers living in Vegas. What could go wrong?

KoolKat9Lives
11-26-2012, 03:59 PM
It's my understanding that, for at least this first season, they will be playing at the facility in Las Vegas only.

Roberta is 100% correct. All matches are in Vegas.

Barry Bremner, or Nathan posted the floorplan of the facility they are building in Vegas. 8 tables, meeting rooms, bar, tv table arena style, etc. It promises to be amazing!

And I agree with others, just watch a match or two to learn the game. It seems complicated at first, but it's really not. It's just a very different game.

ChrisBanks
11-26-2012, 04:00 PM
I agree, after I watched the beginning of that video I had no problem understanding it at all. It just is very confusing if someone tries to explain it without you having seen it played.

I will admit that it would have been more enjoyable if the pockets were more clearly marked. At least on my computer screen, it was difficult to distinguish between the gold and silver stars.

For those that don't know, in bonus ball, your team may only pocket balls into one of 3 pockets, which are marked with either silver or gold stars.

Luxury
11-26-2012, 04:10 PM
I've had three friends come over and they are playing and manning the scoreboard within 5 minutes.

We go over some of the less important rules as they come up but we are having a blast. LOVE the shot clock.

Roger Long
11-26-2012, 04:31 PM
I will admit that it would have been more enjoyable if the pockets were more clearly marked. At least on my computer screen, it was difficult to distinguish between the gold and silver stars.

For those that don't know, in bonus ball, your team may only pocket balls into one of 3 pockets, which are marked with either silver or gold stars.

Chris:

These things will all be taken care of when BB actually airs. In each match, the home team will wear white jerseys, and the visiting team will wear black jerseys. The three pockets for the home team will be colored white, and the pockets for the visiting team will be colored black (to correspond with the jersey colors, of course). In addition, lights will illuminate in the room that will correspond with the ball color that the player is shooting. And for the live viewing audience, there will be large TV monitors all around the room that will enable spectators to simply look straight up from any seat and instantly see the score, who's at the table, and what ball they're shooting.

The BB people have paid attention to all the feedback they've received from this forum, and are doing their best to resolve all issues.

Roger

ChrisBanks
11-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Chris:

These things will all be taken care of when BB actually airs. In each match, the home team will wear white jerseys, and the visiting team will wear black jerseys. The three pockets for the home team will be colored white, and the pockets for the visiting team will be colored black (to correspond with the jersey colors, of course). In addition, lights will illuminate in the room that will correspond with the ball color that the player is shooting. And for the live viewing audience, there will be large TV monitors all around the room that will enable spectators to simply look straight up from any seat and instantly see the score, who's at the table, and what ball they're shooting.

The BB people have paid attention to all the feedback they've received from this forum, and are doing their best to resolve all issues.

Roger

Oh very good. That sounds like it will be attractive to watch. I will look forward to it.