PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Starting a Local Bonus Ball League

super195v
11-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Hey everyone,

I don't want this thread to become a " i love it", "i hate it" thread about the game. I think the direction is great in terms of starting something for the pros to get out there to the public.

I was thinking of starting something local since the league will start soon on PPV. Maybe that will draw more people to watch it online for the pros as well.

My questions are:

Should i have it be 6 pocket bonus ball as opposed to the pro version? I like the pro version and was wondering how hard everyone thinks it would be for the average player. I am going to do something with handicapping with the score depending on how good the players are.

Another note, would everyone think this would be ok on a bar table or would it have to be 9'??

Thanks anyone for some advice.

cigardave
11-26-2012, 05:34 PM
If it were me, I'd start the league playing the 6-pocket version. You can always upgrade to the 3-pocket version if the majority of the members support the change.

The problem I see is the initial investment of the cost of the unique set of balls. At $200 a set the cost will build up fast.

Also, I think that I would wait to see if this game is just a passing fancy. It could well be. Maybe wait for one season to be complete. That way your potential league members could become familiar with the game and its unique set of rules.

And I see no reason why it can't be played on a bar table, which presents its own challenges with congestion.

Cory in DC
11-26-2012, 05:56 PM
If it were me, I'd start the league playing the 6-pocket version. You can always upgrade to the 3-pocket version if the majority of the members support the change.

The problem I see is the initial investment of the cost of the unique set of balls. At $200 a set the cost will build up fast.

Also, I think that I would wait to see if this game is just a passing fancy. It could well be. Maybe wait for one season to be complete. That way your potential league members could become familiar with the game and its unique set of rules.

And I see no reason why it can't be played on a bar table, which presents its own challenges with congestion.

If someone wanted to equip a league, I would imagine you could negotiate a price below $200/pop. It's worth a shot at least. But for starters, you might try a season just using solid as purple, stripe as orange, and 8 ball as the bonus ball and see if it catches on. Then buy the gear--once everyone knows the game and rules, having the shot clock will be a nice season 2 addition.

On the 3-hole vs. 6-hole question, here's a thought, assuming you are envisioning a team-based league. If there are 5 matches to be played, have 3 of them be 6-hole and 2 of them be 3-hole. Or vice-versa. That would probably make the matchup strategies a bit more interesting.

Good luck!
Cory

Drew
11-26-2012, 06:26 PM
WPBL owns the game Bonus Ball. There could be some legal issues with starting a league if you plan to collect any kind of revenue. I would first contact the WPBL before starting the league.

On a side note, I see chartered local leagues as the only realistic option for WPBL to make money.

super195v
11-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Thats a really good point about the legal side of it. I would in no way at all make money off of it. I have run some tournaments and straight pool leagues and have never taken a dime just like to see players gather together and compete.

I would certainly be using the stripes and solids im sure unless there are enough teams to take a little from each week towards the sets.

wrickyb
11-26-2012, 09:58 PM
If you can't open the table and you have to reuse the black ball on a bar table you could use the magnetic version of the Action Toxic Training Ball I know some of the sites like Pooldawg carry them and they are black with yellow print. I use one for warm up.

Shane Jackson
11-27-2012, 02:17 AM
im excited to start playing bonus ball. just use all your four five and eight balls! thats what I'm going to do to practice till i order my set from them!

super195v
11-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Shane next time im in town ill stop in for some bonus ball action. :)

Black-Balled
11-27-2012, 06:48 AM
...you might try a season just using solid as purple, stripe as orange, and 8 ball as the bonus ball ...

Good luck!
Cory
Hey, big brain! You stop screwing up the business model!;):grin-square::grin-square:

eastcoast_chris
11-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Or, if your playing in a pool hall (with non-coinop tables), then take say 3 set of 8 balls and make 3 "bonus ball sets"

i.e.
1-1-1 + 2-2-2 + 8 ball
3-3-3 + 4-4-4 + 8 ball
5-5-5 + 6-6-6 + 8 ball