PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Austin Murphy?

Ohplayer
11-26-2012, 10:03 PM
I have been away from pool for a while, but I recall back in the IPT days that Austin Murphy was a young, up and coming player. I recently started following pool again, and never hear his name mentioned. Whatever happened to him?

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum.

J Soto
02-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Bump................I know this thread was started a few years ago, but I was wondering the same exact thing today.

bfdlad
02-06-2015, 03:00 PM
I have been away from pool for a while, but I recall back in the IPT days that Austin Murphy was a young, up and coming player. I recently started following pool again, and never hear his name mentioned. Whatever happened to him?

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum.

Well I can tell you what I heard. Austin's father was very supportive of his pool career and helped as much as possible but his fathers help came with a price. Not a financial price but in return for his support Austin had to act like a professional at all times and his grades at school had to be where he thought was acceptable. Austin was getting a lot of attention and from what I hear he got a little cockey and that wasn't going to fly with Dad. His Grades were not where they needed to be and so he was not allowed to play or as much. I heard this from at least 2 people. What I think happened next is he just lost interest and wasn't as eager to get out and play every second of the day and probably moved on to girls and having fun with his friends.
Although I would have liked to have seen Austin flourish in this game I think his Father did the right thing making him accountable for school. Austin also beat me 11-7 at a touney when he was 14 years old. He was a good kid.

hotrod622
02-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Well I can tell you what I heard. Austin's father was very supportive of his pool career and helped as much as possible but his fathers help came with a price. Not a financial price but in return for his support Austin had to act like a professional at all times and his grades at school had to be where he thought was acceptable. Austin was getting a lot of attention and from what I hear he got a little cockey and that wasn't going to fly with Dad. His Grades were not where they needed to be and so he was not allowed to play or as much. I heard this from at least 2 people. What I think happened next is he just lost interest and wasn't as eager to get out and play every second of the day and probably moved on to girls and having fun with his friends.
Although I would have liked to have seen Austin flourish in this game I think his Father did the right thing making him accountable for school. Austin also beat me 11-7 at a touney when he was 14 years old. He was a good kid.

Austin still plays some of the bigger tournaments every now and then.

ghost ball
02-06-2015, 03:46 PM

Sounds like good parenting to me. Maybe someday he will find the bug again and write about it here...using paragraphs and punctuation!