PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup

shaggybahama
11-27-2012, 08:07 AM
It's time to get into the mosconi tlks, it's only 2wks away lets show support for tem USA am hoping for SVB to win MVP, USA, USA, by the way am not a Us citizen, so you guys/gals need to start giving the guys the props they deserve.

Shaggy

KoolKat9Lives
11-27-2012, 08:41 AM
It's time to get into the mosconi tlks, it's only 2wks away lets show support for tem USA am hoping for SVB to win MVP, USA, USA, by the way am not a Us citizen, so you guys/gals need to start giving the guys the props they deserve.

Shaggy

I can't wait for my favorite tourney of the year!

I went to the action room to see if anyone had yet posted a line, but didn't see any on the first page. I'd imagine the home team will be favored. 7:5 odds perhaps?

JAM
11-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Let's kick some euro butts in York!

Johnnyt
11-27-2012, 08:49 AM
I can't wait for my favorite tourney of the year!

I went to the action room to see if anyone had yet posted a line, but didn't see any on the first page. I'd imagine the home team will be favored. 7:5 odds perhaps?

I think you can get 7:5 on the US team all day long. That hall they are playing in is brutal. If anyone can pull off an upset it's the 5 players we have this year. The US has to jump out to a good lead early to take the crowd out of it IMO. Johnnyt

shaggybahama
11-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Let's kick some euro butts in York!

That's what am talkin bout USA with SVB, LOL

D WEATHERSBY II
11-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Let's just keep this uniform in the closet! LOL!

GEAUX USA!

And might there be a Brandon Shuff MVP across the pond !?!249864

West Point 1987
11-27-2012, 08:58 AM
I think you can get 7:5 on the US team all day long. That hall they are playing in is brutal. If anyone can pull off an upset it's the 5 players we have this year. The US has to jump out to a good lead early to take the crowd out of it IMO. Johnnyt

Not sure I'd call it an "upset" this year...the U.S. picks have been having a great year. SVB's probably shooting his best pool ever, head/shoulders above just about the whole world.

Island Drive
11-27-2012, 09:04 AM

Shaggy

We here on the mainland appreciate your encouragement, spent 40 days in Exuma 11 mths ago....howdem grouper?

jay helfert
11-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Though I need to be neutral while commentating, I would also like to see Team USA do well. They haven't done much the last few years and are in the unenviable position that Team Europe used to be in - The Underdogs! I thought they had a great chance last year in Vegas and too many missed shots and poor position play doomed them. It takes character, guts and cool under pressure to win this competition.

I also like the addition of Brandon Shuff and JOHNNY ARCHER to an already strong nucleus of Shane, Dechaine and Hatch. If this team can hold it together for four days, they could pull off an upset. Europe without Ralf Souquet is missing one of their mainstays for decades. Mika has also been a strong presence for them and he's out this year as well. That said, they remain the favorite imo, especially at York Hall.

I've told a couple of the young guns for USA the atmosphere is kind of like playing a money match in a poolroom where everyone is crowded around the table, chattering away. They could relate to that assessment, so at least they know what lies ahead for them. I foresee a great Mosconi Cup and a close competition. If you can watch it live on the net by all means do so. It's about the best thing going in the pool world!

Chadk
11-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Though I need to be neutral while commentating, I would also like to see Team USA do well. They haven't done much the last few years and are in the unenviable position that Team Europe used to be in - The Underdogs! I thought they had a great chance last year in Vegas and too many missed shots and poor position play doomed them. It takes character, guts and cool under pressure to win this competition.

I also like the addition of Brandon Shuff and JOHNNY ARCHER to an already strong nucleus of Shane, Dechaine and Hatch. If this team can hold it together for four days, they could pull off an upset. Europe without Ralf Souquet is missing one of their mainstays for decades. Mika has also been a strong presence for them and he's out this year as well. That said, they remain the favorite imo, especially at York Hall.

I've told a couple of the young guns for USA the atmosphere is kind of like playing a money match in a poolroom where everyone is crowded around the table, chattering away. They could relate to that assessment, so at least they know what lies ahead for them. I foresee a great Mosconi Cup and a close competition. If you can watch it live on the net by all means do so. It's about the best thing going in the pool world!

can this be watched Live or will we have to wait for a rebroadcast at some Point on ESPN??
Where can I catch the action?

jhanso18
11-27-2012, 11:24 AM
I think they should rock the throw back vests that CJ has on in various pics!!!

Mezz'd up
11-27-2012, 11:42 AM

Jay - thank for the insight, btw who's on the Euro team this year?

JAM
11-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Jay - thank for the insight, btw who's on the Euro team this year?

Let me Google that for you -->HERE (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Who+is+Team+Europe+on+Mosconi+Cup+2012) :smile:

fathomblue
11-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Honestly, after being out of the pool scene for 15 years (up till April 2011), I had no idea what the Mosconi Cup was about when it came around last year. But, when I saw it broadcast in re-runs several months ago, I was overwhelmed by how people.....cared. The atmosphere in the arena was electric. It was pool on TV as it should be. There were some threads on here by passionate fans.

While I'm a red, white and blue American......and I'll definitely be rooting for the U.S. Team, of course.......I'm rooting more for the game of pool. I hope to see some great matches and possibly a springboard to seeing this event, and other events like it, on at least a major sports channel, instead of an obscure regional sports channel that I happened upon one day.

The Mosconi Cup! We got action!

Congrats on calling the Cup again this year, Jay. I know that I, along with many others, enjoy your insight on the match. Your voice IS kinda soothin', ya know. :P

Mezz'd up
11-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Let me Google that for you -->HERE (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Who+is+Team+Europe+on+Mosconi+Cup+2012) :smile:

Thxs... No Immonen, Soquet or Holman, wow the euro team might have it tough. But it still should be a good match, looking forward to this as always... Btw - keep up the good work JAY!:)

Island Drive
11-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Sounds allot like the old downstairs poolroom in La, Jay remembers the name. Played Arturo their ONCE, the rail was incredible and ''in close'' like a cock fight, I won on the hill and quit. I had em 9-1 or 2.

Macksco
11-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Any ideas what channel this will be shown on? will it be Live?

Im new to the States and will probably need to have the other halves cable updated to view it so will need some advance warning for her lol.

Favourite tournament of the year by far....

thanks

justadub
11-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Any ideas what channel this will be shown on? will it be Live?

Im new to the States and will probably need to have the other halves cable updated to view it so will need some advance warning for her lol.

Favourite tournament of the year by far....

thanks

It won't be on TV here. It never is, live. One of the cable stations will purchase a block and show it 6-10 months later.

Which really sucks. Big time.

Hopefully there will be a stream availabe online.

Macksco
11-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Ok - thanks for the info!

ill need to get myself a VPN address then and use my UK cable subscribtion...

jay helfert
11-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Sounds allot like the old downstairs poolroom in La, Jay remembers the name. Played Arturo their ONCE, the rail was incredible and ''in close'' like a cock fight, I won on the hill and quit. I had em 9-1 or 2.

We just called it "4th and Main". Every self respecting pool player had to get their spurs in there! It was scary, exciting and challenging all at once, to play in that den of inequity. I escaped more than a few times with my money and my life! :eek:

P.S. The biggest game I got involved in was when I took Gary Pinkowski down there some thirty odd years ago. This was before he ever promoted the B.C. Open. Gary could play pretty sporty back then and he was looking for action. He first played a young Gil Mascareno some $50 One Pocket and beat him for a couple of hundred. Then they brought Okie Sam in there to play Gary. Sam was a good One Pocket player and he wanted to bet at least 500. So we played a Race to Four for 500, a big bet in those days. The rail must have been betting just as much among themselves. We couldn't handle any more since we were all in for the 500.

It was a crazy atmosphere with a huge crowd all around the table, and people yelling before and after every shot. Naturally they went hill-hill and Gary had a shot to win the cheese, but he failed to make a couple of key banks and we lost the money. That was the end of our little road trip and soon after Gary went home to New York. I got my payback a few years later when Keith (with me backing him) won the B.C. Open and 25 Grand! Gary shipped me out a check for 12.5K and I was one happy camper. RIP my friend!

JAM
11-28-2012, 02:49 AM
...That was the end of our little road trip and soon after Gary went home to New York. I got my payback a few years later when Keith (with me backing him) won the B.C. Open and 25 Grand! Gary shipped me out a check for 12.5K and I was one happy camper. RIP my friend!

It's one of Keith's favorite memories, and he loves the below-referenced picture from the past. We have so few of them, so this one is precious. Gary depicted on the left, Keith, and Mary Lea Jordan on the right. Gary is handing Keith a check after the big win.

Second place paid only $10,000, which was won by Mike LeBron. Mike still does not enjoy speaking about that day, but that's a topic for another thread.

I don't want to upset Mark Griffin with a thread drift, so let me get back on track and say USA, ALL THE WAY, baby! Mosconi Cup is within our reach! :grin-square:

tobybutton
11-28-2012, 06:29 AM
wow, shocked that you guys dont get the mosconi cup live on pay tv in the u.s. all 4 days are shown live in australia every year. by far my fav tournament of the year! go europe:p

Island Drive
11-28-2012, 06:42 AM
wow, shocked that you guys dont get the mosconi cup live on pay tv in the u.s. all 4 days are shown live in australia every year. by far my fav tournament of the year! go europe:p

Yep, pretty sad. Because of the US and our history of match play in many disciplines, there is a Mosconi Cup, and Ironically, because we are the US we don't see it, go figure :scratchhead::scratchhead:

Donny Lutz
11-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Yep, pretty sad. Because of the US and our history of match play in many disciplines, there is a Mosconi Cup, and Ironically, because we are the US we don't see it, go figure :scratchhead::scratchhead:

Just watch the sports channels. Americans prefer violent sports, and the sponsors honor this.

VIProfessor
11-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Just watch the sports channels. Americans prefer violent sports, and the sponsors honor this.

Perhaps we missed a big opportunity to take the sport mainstream. They should have let Darren and Rodney get into it and then the match could have been sold to MMA TV. It's not too late though. If anyone surfaces with cellphone footage of the "Q-Master Affair" we might still have a shot. :D