PDA

View Full Version : What's good about pool and how can we further promote it?

thepavlos
11-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Since everyone is a professional critic, let's try answering this question.

ghost ball
11-27-2012, 09:57 AM
-Pool goes great with beer.
-When women shoot pool, its fun to watch.
-It is a great escape from the wife and kids.

ENGLISH!
11-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Every good player can stop taking money from the fish & start helping them to become better players. It's called Goodwill.

Until the general public's perception is changed from that of 'just huslers' the game will never garner their respect or their entertainment dollars.

As to what's good about the game. Everything except a badly leaning table & the occassional miscue. Oh yea & my bad eye.:wink:

Regards,

Black-Balled
11-27-2012, 10:10 AM

And it is easy to play, impossible to master.

Tramp Steamer
11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Your question is somewhat ambigulus..., ambigumus..., confusing.
I enjoy playing the games. I have friends with whom I can hang out with. It gives me something to do in an otherwise drab existence I call my life.
As to promoting? I plan on helping run a small One Pocket tournament this Winter.
Other than that, there is little I can do. :smile:

Eric.
11-27-2012, 10:32 AM

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Eric >what do I win?

TATE
11-27-2012, 10:42 AM

Pool is a perfectly social game. The average person can play it socially and drink, chat, and have fun.

Bars got it right. Play some music, have a table or two, put in some seating, and line up to play. Make money selling the drinks and food. If someone shows up who can actually play the game, corner them in the bathroom and threaten them.

boogeyman
11-27-2012, 10:49 AM
There are PLENTY of good things about pool: teaches logic and how to create strategies. Provides a sense of pressure that compels one to "hang in there" during tough (times and) competition. Too many more to list (anyone else?).

My opinion on how to promote the game is not by actually improving the game itself. We need (dare I say this) more quality individuals playing the game. We need more educated players (I mean college degrees). The Juniors are slowly pushing the concept of "pool and school." Great idea!

In time, (hopefully) more educated players will yield a more professional aura. Look at golf, a lot of those guys played golf while in college and man of them actually have degrees. College teaches discipline, time management, logic, writing and speaking skills, and a sense of teamwork (group projects). (I know, as I actually have a four-year degree in Economics).

Nothing against Earl and others who took up pool instead of hitting the books, but let me tell ya'll something... Getting an education opens up one's eyes to the world. In today's classrooms, besides the technology stuff, it teaches one how to be tolerant and get along with others.

So, you want others to view pool as a respectable sport? If so, we need to work from the inside-out. That means improving the hearts and minds of those who call themselves pool players...

SchoolinU
11-27-2012, 11:00 AM

Yep, and you can play day or night, rain or shine....

King T
11-27-2012, 11:17 AM
If we all promote APA the followers to our game will come!!!!!! They need to believe that they can win in order to stay with it. They need to see improvements at their levels to want to continue!

APA gets them there, its not for us players so much, but it is for the up and comers!

Cornerman
11-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I'd say the half-naked avatars.

BlindWizard
11-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Pool players are generally tolerant of (and amused by) weirdos, misfits and miscreants of all types. I've never laughed as much in a movie theater as I have in a pool hall. A good pool hall is the most entertaining spot in any city.

david(tx)
11-27-2012, 02:04 PM

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I remember in the 60's they were impounding a lot of water in north Texas and on Saturday night television they had commercials for lake lots at developments on the lakes . My dad would mock these commercials and say who would want to live there with a bunch of mosquitos and that he wouldn't give that much money for a half acre.

Just people who like to fish , and enjoyed water skiing etc . Some of these developments turned into rat holes because they couldn't sell the lots and they lowered their standards . Sometimes people just don't buy into things no matter how much you promote it . Enjoy the game .