PDA

View Full Version : US Open latest

jalapus logan
11-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Just in case y'all forget to check the front page of AZB (http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=10662).

Kid Dynomite
11-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Good eye! But, nothing new that has not been said before! Sad but true!

Kd

TheNewSharkster
11-27-2012, 04:14 PM
That is a well written letter but he doesn't say when everybody will be paid. I think that is the most relevant fact and it is sidestepped.

Banks
11-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Hot damn, there is a front page! I completely forgot. :sorry:

Here's a good snippet, though I think the order of placement somehow got reversed..

"Although we have never tried harder, and on paper the feedback prior to the event was very positive, the old saying: “seeing is believing” rang true as the set-up and execution could have and should have been better, MUCH better. We also know without question that all future U.S.Opens will be held in a single large room with ample seating space for all."

Should have been after..

"With regards to the issues of payment I am also very aware that that is not the way to conduct business. There will never be another U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship unless all of the added monies are placed in an escrow account a minimum of 30 days prior to the event and all entry fees have been paid to the B.C.A. I admit that the players are very concerned about participating, rightfully so I might add, but this is why I have made the point of outlining guidelines for the allocation of funds. Let me repeat: In the future ALL prize monies will be held in escrow and all payments will be made at the event itself."

RobertaAgnor
11-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I have always been & always will continue to be a friend of Barry Berhman. I'm not saying he's done no wrong because he has; he fully realizes that & takes full responsibility for it. It's just my opinion but I really don't feel that anyone has the right to judge or complain about the way he does business unless it DIRECTLY affects them, which would the players & others involved in the tournament; not that that's going to stop anyone from doing it I know. :)

I'm sure I'll catch plenty of flack for stating this as I already have in the short time I've been posting here, which doesn't bother me in the least. I will continue to respectfully agree to disagree with people who have opinions different than mine because everyone is entitled to think whatever they want.

I have no doubt that there will be a US Open 9 Ball Championship next October, he will find a way.

NickV
11-27-2012, 04:31 PM
"With regards to the issues of payment I am also very aware that that is not the way to conduct business. There will never be another U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship unless all of the added monies are placed in an escrow account a minimum of 30 days prior to the event and all entry fees have been paid to the B.C.A. I admit that the players are very concerned about participating, rightfully so I might add, but this is why I have made the point of outlining guidelines for the allocation of funds. Let me repeat: In the future ALL prize monies will be held in escrow and all payments will be made at the event itself."

I wonder how long till we see people making bets on the above statement?

TATE
11-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Barry,

Sell the U.S. Open, pay off your debts and move on. You don't have the cash flow to run this. It's your baby and you're just killing it.

jalapus logan
11-27-2012, 04:32 PM
"One month later and better healed mentally and physically, I want to apologize to the few U.S. Open players to whom prize money is still due. I assure you that I am drawing near to a resolution in this matter. Furthermore, I am offering no excuses whatsoever and am accepting full responsibility for this years disappointments...."

That is precisely what I told my utility companies. I told them that I am drawing near to a resolution in the matter. I am now typing this under an overpass using a stolen generator...

iusedtoberich
11-27-2012, 04:33 PM
That is a well written letter but he doesn't say when everybody will be paid. I think that is the most relevant fact and it is sidestepped.

I think its better that he did not list a date. It will happen whenever it happens. Stating when that would be and then falling short, is worse, imo, than not stating at all.

jalapus logan
11-27-2012, 04:38 PM
I have always been & always will continue to be a friend of Barry Berhman. I'm not saying he's done no wrong because he has; he fully realizes that & takes full responsibility for it. It's just my opinion but I really don't feel that anyone has the right to judge or complain about the way he does business unless it DIRECTLY affects them, which would the players & others involved in the tournament; not that that's going to stop anyone from doing it I know. :)

I'm sure I'll catch plenty of flack for stating this as I already have in the short time I've been posting here, which doesn't bother me in the least. I will continue to respectfully agree to disagree with people who have opinions different than mine because everyone is entitled to think whatever they want.

I have no doubt that there will be a US Open 9 Ball Championship next October, he will find a way.

If the world wanted your opinion, my wife would give it to you....:eek:

TATE
11-27-2012, 04:43 PM

Say you were a bank, how much of a credit line would you give him?

To be fair, I knew a guy who refused to pay anybody he owed who couldn't hurt him, yet, his American Express bill was paid like clockwork.

Seriously though, it does affect a lot of people. It puts a stain on an entire industry for competence and financial integrity. I'm thinking the pool players are not the only creditors at this point.

Banks
11-27-2012, 04:51 PM

I've got friends that tend to #$^& things up on a regular basis, too. It doesn't make it okay, it just makes it expected.

Not sure what kind of logic is used for saying people don't have a right to judge because they aren't the ones getting screwed, but I don't think it's something that works outside of a parent telling a kid why they should/shouldn't do something.

I know you mean well.. :hug:

SUPERSTAR
11-27-2012, 04:53 PM
And the ponzi scheme falls apart.:eek:

Jaden
11-27-2012, 05:03 PM
There needs to be a third party that controls the money until it gets into the hands of the winners....PERIOD...

Anything less than that and I will give 3-2 on the money that the same thing happens again...or that there isn't any more US open nineball championships.

Jaden

pt109
11-27-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm sure I'll catch plenty of flack
You certainly will..:mad:....and here it is.

https://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dk49yMJE8jyg&rct=j&sa=X&ei=ZVW1UNCEM8qDyAGC_oDwBQ&ved=0CEAQuAIwAw&q=roberta+flack&usg=AFQjCNEbTTY0OdUOQvkXGU5NduEB9XFxdw

jalapus logan
11-27-2012, 05:20 PM

https://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dk49yMJE8jyg&rct=j&sa=X&ei=ZVW1UNCEM8qDyAGC_oDwBQ&ved=0CEAQuAIwAw&q=roberta+flack&usg=AFQjCNEbTTY0OdUOQvkXGU5NduEB9XFxdw

The original is better... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONwRf7shy7c)

Luxury
11-27-2012, 05:23 PM

That is good sound logic. Keep your mouth shut about crimes that don't effect you. I think some of the guys involved in the Sandusky rapes felt the same. After all, it wasn't their asses getting pounded.

Mark Griffin
11-27-2012, 05:33 PM
NOT aiming at anyone in particular.
BUT - I am hoping this thread can stay on topic.
It is becoming a bad habit for threads to go so far off track.
I know everyone wants to keep things 'light hearted' but this is important stuff.

(Links to music videos and such is quite disruptive. Pictures of dogs are in the same category).

First of all, I think Barry writes a great letter.
I agree it should not have a date of payment because iusedtoberich was correct.

I do think it should have a little more meat and not so much fluff - BUT Barry is still trying and you gotta love him for that.

But it is terrible this great event had to come to this and this type of action is hurting the integrity of the entire industry. To think otherwise is naive.

I just think he has made it hard for himself because now everyone is going to say 'SHOW ME THE MONEY' before the event.

This time there will be no slack given - as there shouldn't be. The players NEED to be paid on time.

Mark Griffin

Blue Hog ridr
11-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Ya know, Barry has the best intentions in the world.

He tried his best but year after year, the same result. So, when does one admit defeat.

I thought that last year was the last time this was going to happen. How many times can you say, "I'm sorry, it won't happen again".

You can only Cry Wolf so many times.

I'm sincerely sorry that it had to go down this way but Barry's word is no longer credible re the US Open.

xplor
11-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Barry Behrman thinks he can be like Barry Hearn. When promoters go wrong it is usually the accounting. Some times the skim is too deep, other times they grab the cash and leave town.
Unless he can find someone to handle the numbers, he is done.

Banks
11-27-2012, 05:50 PM
NOT aiming at anyone in particular.That's in a different subforum.
BUT - I am hoping this thread can stay on topic.
It is becoming a bad habit for threads to go so far off track.
I know everyone wants to keep things 'light hearted' but this is important stuff.

(Links to music videos and such is quite disruptive. Pictures of dogs are in the same category).Black-Balled started it.

First of all, I think Barry writes a great letter.
I agree it should not have a date of payment because iusedtoberich was correct.

I do think it should have a little more meat and not so much fluff - BUT Barry is still trying and you gotta love him for that.Watching a couple in a failing relationship isn't much fun.

But it is terrible this great event had to come to this and this type of action is hurting the integrity of the entire industry. To think otherwise is naive.

I just think he has made it hard for himself because now everyone is going to say 'SHOW ME THE MONEY' before the event.

This time there will be no slack given - as there shouldn't be. The players NEED to be paid on time.

Mark Griffin

So, he's looking at, I'm guessing, at least another 30 days before everybody gets paid. That'll bring it to, let's say, 2 months after it happened. He also claims that he'll have the next Open's money escrowed at least a month early. He's going to go from being thousands in the hole to having tens of thousands in the bank in less than 9 months? Sure, some could do it. His track record screams "no".

If I had the money to spare, I'd put up odds against that.. but, then I'd just be pulling a Behrman. :eek:

Edit: Do you also think that 30 days prior is even good enough? Honestly, for all of that planning and putting out for expected expenses, would you want more than 30 days as a player to know that an event is going down or not?

TheNewSharkster
11-27-2012, 05:54 PM
I think its better that he did not list a date. It will happen whenever it happens. Stating when that would be and then falling short, is worse, imo, than not stating at all.

I can see both sides of it but I still feel like he should be on the hook for a payment date. We can agree to disagree :-)

PC_John
11-27-2012, 06:06 PM
If the world wanted your opinion, my wife would give it to you....:eek:

Hey! Do we have the same wife? :wink:

david(tx)
11-27-2012, 06:06 PM

he fully realizes that & takes full responsibility for it.

Exactly what does this mean? It puzzles me , i think it means something other than what it implies , especially in the late 20th and early 21st centuries . Taking responsibility has to have a penalty if a wrong has been committed , like if you are convicted of treason and you admit responsibility , you have to stand before a firing squad.

mlfield
11-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Behrman is a mental case. He is in major denial and I would say he needs a therapist badly. I don't think I have ever read a word from him stating where the money went that he did have. A great conman does the same thing. Talks all around the main issue till you have forgotten all about it and then he makes another move on you. I would wager Q-Masters is not in his or his family's name. Maybe he is at least that smart.

JoseV
11-27-2012, 06:18 PM
I dont know barry personally so i can not judge him. Im hoping he can pull out of the mud and get back on the pavement.

BeiberLvr
11-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Promises have been made before...

http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=7853

Ghosst
11-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Barry, since you read the forums and I have no idea of, or business in, your daily finances all I can say is I wish you the best of luck getting this year's payments sorted and next years added money put aside in advance.

Thanks for putting on the US Open in all of the years passed and I hope it continues to be a tradition.

daniel
11-27-2012, 06:38 PM
I agree with tate. barry hearn or one of his team would be excellent choice. get michaela tabb to referee & you got a professional event.

SUPERSTAR
11-27-2012, 06:40 PM
I would wager Q-Masters is not in his or his family's name. Maybe he is at least that smart.

Didn't there used to be multiple Q-Masters? A Q-Master empire so to speak?
Now there's only 1.
:rolleyes:

jay helfert
11-27-2012, 06:49 PM
I judge people by their actions, not their words. No letter will change my mind. Especially one full of hollow promises. He can save all that for someone who wasn't there. The letter (e-mail) he sent to me had a decidedly different tone to it. I prefer not to share that here.

RobertaAgnor
11-27-2012, 08:08 PM
That is good sound logic. Keep your mouth shut about crimes that don't effect you. I think some of the guys involved in the Sandusky rapes felt the same. After all, it wasn't their asses getting pounded.

This is in no way comparable to rape or any other violent crime, you're comparing apples to oranges. Unless you're one of the people that's owed money then it doesn't affect you & is frankly not your business. You want to judge Barry for what he's done so I'm sure you must be perfect & have never done anything wrong. It's not stopping the players from coming nor is it stopping the fans (of which I'm one) from coming. All I did was state what I thought, if you don't agree that's fine.

RobertaAgnor
11-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Say you were a bank, how much of a credit line would you give him?

To be fair, I knew a guy who refused to pay anybody he owed who couldn't hurt him, yet, his American Express bill was paid like clockwork.

Seriously though, it does affect a lot of people. It puts a stain on an entire industry for competence and financial integrity. I'm thinking the pool players are not the only creditors at this point.

I see what you're saying & I respect your opinion although it differs from mine. It affects what people think of him but it only really affects the ones involved. If people want to judge an entire sport by the actions of one person then that's their prerogative. I certainly don't judge say the NFL by the actions & crimes of it's players.

RobertaAgnor
11-27-2012, 08:13 PM

Good one, I knew it was coming from someone :wink:

RobertaAgnor
11-27-2012, 08:17 PM
he fully realizes that & takes full responsibility for it.

Exactly what does this mean? It puzzles me , i think it means something other than what it implies , especially in the late 20th and early 21st centuries . Taking responsibility has to have a penalty if a wrong has been committed , like if you are convicted of treason and you admit responsibility , you have to stand before a firing squad.

I should have been more clear. When I made that statement I was referring to things in the past.

RobertaAgnor
11-27-2012, 08:20 PM
I judge people by their actions, not their words. No letter will change my mind. Especially one full of hollow promises. He can save all that for someone who wasn't there. The letter (e-mail) he sent to me had a decidedly different tone to it. I prefer not to share that here.

Jay, I completely understand where you're coming from too. That's the only point I was trying to make, you are one of the people affected by what happened so you have every right to feel how you do; you are one that know the full story that not everyone on here does. It's one thing to come on here saying things when you know what you're talking about, as you do, then when you talk about things you don't know about. I, for one, will miss seeing you at the Open; you were always friendly & had a smile on your face for everyone & made it a very enjoyable experience.

JB Cases
11-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Can I ask WHY it's not possible to have plenty of events throughout the year with the goal of sending people to the US Open? Why can't every pool room in the country run tournaments with the purpose of sending their best players to the US Open. I can't understand why, with a YEAR to prepare the US Open isn't FULL for a solid month BEFORE the event starts, with a waiting list.

If I was Barry I'd offer a $5000 prize to the pool room that sent the winning player. Give them incentives to field as many players as possible.

SUPERSTAR
11-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Unless you're one of the people that's owed money then it doesn't affect you & is frankly not your business. You want to judge Barry for what he's done so I'm sure you must be perfect & have never done anything wrong. It's not stopping the players from coming nor is it stopping the fans (of which I'm one) from coming.

This isn't something new. It's a decade old.

A lot of the people on these forums make the pilgrimage to the U S Open, and spend their hard earned money to support this venue.
You think those people should just keep quiet on how BB uses the money they spend, ESPECIALLY if BB keeps screwing up the way he does?

The support they give by the money they spend gives them the right to criticize BB any way they see fit.
Without the fans, the Open would die.

Maybe the failure with payment should be broadcast on the news, so the fans can ban together and boycott the open so that it can finally die and be given a proper burial.

Who's business would it be then?

RobertaAgnor
11-27-2012, 08:34 PM
This isn't something new. It's a decade old.

A lot of the people on these forums make the pilgrimage to the U S Open, and spend their hard earned money to support this venue.
You think those people should just keep quiet on how BB uses the money they spend, ESPECIALLY if BB keeps screwing up the way he does?

The support they give by the money they spend gives them the right to criticize BB any way they see fit.
Without the fans, the Open would die.

Maybe the failure with payment should be broadcast on the news, so the fans can ban together and boycott the open so that it can finally die and be given a proper burial.

Who's business would it be then?

I'm there every year too & spend my money to support it, I have been for years along with my family & friends. These problems go back for years & have been publicized for years as well but it still isn't stopping the players or the fans from coming. You have every right to your opinion just as I do to mine so I will respectfully agree to disagree.

SUPERSTAR
11-27-2012, 08:48 PM
These problems go back for years & have been publicized for years as well but it still isn't stopping the players or the fans from coming.

Obviously, the number of players in the field not being close to what it was 11 years ago, and it being moved to a different venue means nothing 2 you.:rolleyes:

Jaden
11-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Obviously, the number of players in the field not being close to what it was 11 years ago, and it being moved to a different venue means nothing 2 you.:rolleyes:

If the players and gthe fans are showing up then why is there any problem paying the field????

Jaden

SUPERSTAR
11-27-2012, 08:58 PM
If the players and gthe fans are showing up then why is there any problem paying the field????

Jaden

Not that hard of a concept. Right?!?!

pt109
11-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Now there's only 1.

I was in an earlier version of Qmaster...it was in Norfolk....2000
The current location was known as Qmaster 11 originally.
Eventually the current one became Qmaster when the other one changed
hands and name....I think around 2002.

Jaden
11-27-2012, 09:44 PM

I was wondering why it seemed to be in a different place between 2000 and 2003 when I was at Damneck for training...lol

Jaden

Still pisses me off they wouldn't let me play in the tourney even at their highest rating. I just wanted to play...

RobertaAgnor
11-27-2012, 09:46 PM

The original Q-Masters was at 5 Points in Norfolk, it was Barry's until he allowed someone else to take it over; I think it was his son but can't remember since it's been so long although I do seem to remember it was lost in a fire. There also used to be one in Waterside in Norfolk, not sure what happened to that one but I know lots of businesses had problems there; so now there's just the one.

KoolKat9Lives
11-27-2012, 09:57 PM

Not for nothing... They had 220 this year, which was the first year prior winners weren't granted $0 entry. Last year 216? Max field has been 256 for how many years?

HEY! Not defending anything, just trying to put entry #'s in black and white. Someone here surely can shore up my numbers. This years field was beyond super strong.

Matt Thompson <-- not happy @ the state of affairs either, at all

pt109
11-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Not for nothing... They had 220 this year, which was the first year prior winners weren't granted $0 entry. Last year 216? Max field has been 256 for how many years?

HEY! Not defending anything, just trying to put entry #'s in black and white. Someone here surely can shore up my numbers. This years field was beyond super strong.

Matt Thompson <-- not happy @ the state of affairs either, at all

In the year 2000, Barry let it go over the 256 limit....286 that year.
And the action at the Norfolk Qmaster was fantastic....it was hard to
move or get a table every night.

Reyes was still giving Frost 11-8 in those days.

And Parica was giving Joiner 8-7...a young Pagulayan was talking to
Parica in Tagalog during that game and Joiner was saying deadpan...
.."Don't tell him what to do.' ..the whole room started laughing...
Joiner was pretty cool under fire

iusedtoberich
11-27-2012, 10:55 PM

Also, in the year 2000, my local rooms were all jumping, with a waiting list out the door every winter weekend and every summer night. Now, they are dead.

rivercitysledge
11-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Barry,

Sell the U.S. Open, pay off your debts and move on. You don't have the cash flow to run this. It's your baby and you're just killing it.

38 yrs and still cant get it right...but the players keep coming for the punishment

KoolKat9Lives
11-27-2012, 11:05 PM

That year was an anaomoly and that was like what... 25 years ago? ;)

Stop answering my suppositions with facts dammit PT!

Just messin', you know that. But seriously, my viewpoint is - this year's US Open was regarded as one of the strongest fields ever. I've been there the last 5 years, I'm a red white and blue, and I love/treasure my time there IMMENSELY. As F'd up as some of the aspects around it is lately, it still remains as one of the most highly coveted trophies to own. I am biased, I admit it. But hell yes, Barry really needs to FINALLY learn from his mistakes - for it to remain coveted. I don't want to give up on it.... :(

AtLarge
11-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Now there's only 1.

But that one room is said to be the biggest in the country (25,000 sq. ft. and 73 tables), so that's still pretty significant.

The Renfro
11-28-2012, 12:03 AM
wowsers!!!!

JAM
11-28-2012, 04:32 AM
It's hard not to read between the lines. I'm a huge Barry Behrman fan.

After reading the posts written by people who were at this year's Open, it is difficult to understand where the money went. Yes, I know the expenses involved in producing a tournament of this magnitude are phenomenal, but something seems awry.

When considering the many back-and-forths that have plagued this tournament in the recent past between the players, Barry Behrman, et al., and even the BCA itself, I cannot imagine how anyone, to include my friend Barry Behrman, could have let this happen.

If it had been me, I would have borrowed from Peter to pay Paul to ensure the players were paid. I'd worry about me paying Peter back later to avoid generating any negative publicity. The Open has endured too much negative publicity. I do not understand how this can happen.

I pray that Barry Behrman is healthy and living a healthy lifestyle. He's one of pool's biggest supporters, and I want him to continue keeping the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship alive and well.

richiebalto
11-28-2012, 05:27 AM
Barry sounds just like this socalled bookie that owes me 680 dollars from a month ago, that has not paid me one dime as of today even know i told him i will gladly accept payments of 50 a week and still nothing but stories, But at lease Barry is taken full blame, this ass that iam dealing with is blameing everyone but hisself for not having my money.

SUPERSTAR
11-28-2012, 05:58 AM
But that one room is said to be the biggest in the country (25,000 sq. ft. and 73 tables), so that's still pretty significant.

So the money should be rolling in, right?:D

Personally, I think BB should take a year off.
Make sure the players get paid, and give him enough time to pump up to have the money posted for the year he brings it back.
That way, at least the players get paid at the end of that event without incident. Enough with the ponzi scheme already.
And if the Open works out, or goes down the drain after that, so be it.

Sometimes you just have to take a step back and regroup.
Although my personal feeling is that if given more time, BB will still find new and creative ways to screw it up somehow.

That's just who he is.

TheNewSharkster
11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Jay, I completely understand where you're coming from too. That's the only point I was trying to make, you are one of the people affected by what happened so you have every right to feel how you do; you are one that know the full story that not everyone on here does. It's one thing to come on here saying things when you know what you're talking about, as you do, then when you talk about things you don't know about. I, for one, will miss seeing you at the Open; you were always friendly & had a smile on your face for everyone & made it a very enjoyable experience.

Why should somebody need to be involved with this to have an opinion? Barry posted a letter to public on the front page of this site. This is a public pool forum. This is the type of things people want to talk about.

The fact that some players have talked about this and BB has made this public is reason enough for me to form an opinion based on the information available.

He screwed the pooch and has yet to make things right.

RobertaAgnor
11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Why should somebody need to be involved with this to have an opinion? Barry posted a letter to public on the front page of this site. This is a public pool forum. This is the type of things people want to talk about.

The fact that some players have talked about this and BB has made this public is reason enough for me to form an opinion based on the information available.

He screwed the pooch and has yet to make things right.

As I said in my original post, that is just my opinion. I don't need to defend or explain why I think that just as you don't need to defend or explain your own opinion. I was just saying what I thought just as everyone else on here does. I don't see anything wrong with having an opinion about or judging the actions of Barry, the thing I don't like are the personal attacks on him. But, again, that's just my opinion.

JCIN
11-28-2012, 01:30 PM
All I know is that Barry is the biggest Bonus Ball fan in the world at the moment. Its diverting a lot of attention from what is probably the crash and burn of the US Open.

I think we have seen the last one folks.

Black-Balled
11-28-2012, 02:06 PM
In the year 2000, ...

My preferred comment when I am in Joiner's position:
If he's gonna tell you what to do then I am gonna have to give you a spot.

mikeyfrost
11-28-2012, 02:15 PM
All I know is that Barry is the biggest Bonus Ball fan in the world at the moment. Its diverting a lot of attention from what is probably the crash and burn of the US Open.

No way I'm playing next year for $30 entry fee in a Pizza Hut banquet room for all the cash. I'm gonna win.

nb92
11-28-2012, 02:58 PM

F.. that... wana BET ? (with my heart all the way)...

Poolva....

CreeDo
11-28-2012, 03:00 PM
No way I'm playing next year for $30 entry fee in a Pizza Hut banquet room for all the cash. I'm gonna win.

I'm right behind you. Finally I can enter, now that Mika and the rest won't be bothering. They may turn their nose up at the $120 first prize but I'll play my balls off for it. I heard there's over $40 of added money and second place gets his entry fee back next year, plus one free side from the buffet!

JCIN
11-28-2012, 04:31 PM
F.. that... wana BET ? (with my heart all the way)...

Poolva....

I only bet on things I want to see happen.

On the Open I am torn. I would love to see it continue but not if it is the same old song and dance where the money is concerned.

The players are not the only ones owed money. This is a real mess and I think the latest press release is a bad omen. If Barry can square it away and do the right thing next year good for him. If he cant he needs to just stop.

KoolKat9Lives
11-28-2012, 05:32 PM
From what I pick up from Barry... (This is just my insight and not a defense of his shortcomings, mmmkay?)

He ain't gonna go out quietly.

Unless and until a year or two whereby most of the top players do not play, he's not letting go. He wants to take it to his grave and pass it on to Shannon. It's his legacy!

37 years in a row? Do we all get what that takes?

It means the world to Barry. Even more than his dog.

JCIN
11-28-2012, 07:04 PM
From what I pick up from Barry... (This is just my insight and not a defense of his shortcomings, mmmkay?)

He ain't gonna go out quietly.

Unless and until a year or two whereby most of the top players do not play, he's not letting go. He wants to take it to his grave and pass it on to Shannon. It's his legacy!

37 years in a row? Do we all get what that takes?

It means the world to Barry. Even more than his dog.

I cant think of a reason why Shannon would want to take on that nightmare. The Open is Barry's thing. I think its plain to see that eventually it is going to fold and when that happens the chances are players in the final year will not get paid.

Barry never has the added money beforehand and if he honors his PR statement then I don't see how another Open happens unless its significantly less added money. A LOT of people besides players are super pissed about this one.

Blue Hog ridr
11-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Do you think that next years field will be greatly reduced. I do.

After making promises for this past year and duplicating all the mistakes made in years past, I would be seriously leery about entering 2013.

Of course, the World is going to end on the 21st so maybe no one will have to worry about it.

SUPERSTAR
11-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Do you think that next years field will be greatly reduced.

What next year?

poolguy4u
11-29-2012, 08:15 AM
No matter what happened in the last few years, players are still going to play in the U.S. Open. If the top players don't show up...who cares. More money for the underdogs. :thumbup:

It will still be a great event.

It's a pool tournament and everyone should be thankful for it.:smile:

dorabelle
11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
It can always be scaled down and costs can be cut.

SUPERSTAR
11-29-2012, 08:41 AM
It can always be scaled down and costs can be cut.

If you were talking about a normal human being who understood these things, i would agree with you.

But we are talking about BB.

That boy is WHACKED.

Guy is still pipe dreaming that he can pull off some grandiose Opens like in the past that were great events.

But the Open will never be like that again. EVER.

Try telling that to a delusional pool promoter.:rolleyes:

dorabelle
11-29-2012, 08:55 AM
If you were talking about a normal human being who understood these things, i would agree with you.

But we are talking about BB.

That boy is WHACKED.

Guy is still pipe dreaming that he can pull off some grandiose Opens like in the past that were great events.

But the Open will never be like that again. EVER.

Try telling that to a delusional pool promoter.:rolleyes:

All the BB's of the world can't argue with math. I love the open and I'll love it even if it's smaller so it can be workable.

TheNewSharkster
11-29-2012, 09:10 AM
No matter what happened in the last few years, players are still going to play in the U.S. Open. If the top players don't show up...who cares. More money for the underdogs. :thumbup:

It will still be a great event.

It's a pool tournament and everyone should be thankful for it.:smile:

Would you be singing the same tune if you spent your time and thousands of dollars to play and then not get paid?

poolguy4u
11-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Would you be singing the same tune if you spent your time and thousands of dollars to play and then not get paid?

So who didn't get paid? Thousands of dollars? Who pays thousands of dollars to play in one tournament?

Jaden
11-29-2012, 11:23 AM
So who didn't get paid? Thousands of dollars? Who pays thousands of dollars to play in one tournament?

Anyone who plays in a week long tournament pays thousands of dollars to play in it, especially when they are travelling.

Airfare, $400-600, Hotel $600-1500, entry $550, food, etc...... car rental....

It's easy to spend $2000-3000 on a tourney like the open.

I had to explain that to my new sponsor because they asked me what the entry fee was to the open. I said $550, and the response was that cheap?

Not a billiards related sponsor....

Now I don't feel comfortable letting them pay my way next year since there is such a bad stigma associated with the open and it is likely to not be as prestigious of a title.

Jaden

edd
11-29-2012, 11:23 AM

Entry fees....travel expenses....accomodations... Trust me, it's thousands, particularly for the overseas players. Some may have sponsorship, but even then, I doubt there are many that have full expenses covered.

Blue Hog ridr
11-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Jaden, while I don't doubt your figures for expenses, I was wondering if any but the top players could come up with that much and justify it.

I think that many players are pretty good at being frugal when they have to be. Travel expenses are what they are. They would find a way to cut hotel expenses by rooming up and if their eating habits aren't any better than myself at the last tourney I reffed. I lived on hot dogs and potato chips for 3 days.

But then, I'm an old Carny and my belly is used to that kind of diet. Sure that most players are not much different.

xplor
11-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Was the hotel full? There is usually some kickback involved.

TheNewSharkster
11-29-2012, 11:50 AM

1. Something like the top 10 players (if not more) haven't been paid
2. Travel and hotel can be expensive. Remember a lot of players come from afar
3. I thought the entry was something like $600

poolguy4u
11-29-2012, 06:05 PM

Well...even if it does cost thousands of dollars to play in one tournament...LOL, there is still no guarantee that someone will cash.

No one can count on getting into the money in the U.S. Open...even if they come from across the ocean.

Too many good players....
Can't count anyone out.

Rumor or fact...top ten or more didn't get paid a dime? Hmmm....

Friday November 30

To be honest...I played in the Open a few times in the 1980's and I can tell you, if I didn't get paid or some of the other players didn't get paid then, there would of been big trouble. Someone would of been going to jail, the hospital, maybe both and some table would of been ripped up.

Or...LOL, people would be sleeping at the pool room or Barry's house until payment was made.

I wasn't good enough to cash but I was a nut back in those days and would of went off.

If it would happen today at my age, I would probably call a lawyer or the police. I would think there would of been some kind of arrangement between the players and Barry for the police to be not involved.

This is just my thoughts and opinions and I'm not always right. Just wanted to be part of the conversation....

Gsitz89
11-29-2012, 11:12 PM
I do not know a whole lot about the situation but what I read here and there but it seems to me that this is not the first or even second year that this has happened. People are posting that about how pissed that the players and I suppose workers are for being paid late. I just dont see how someone could really be all that mad knowing what they do about this tourney and the name that it has started to take for itself. It just seems that one would kinda expect it which is sad....

jalapus logan
12-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I've not kept up with the US Open issues recently. Does anyone know if any players are still owed money???

richiebalto
12-27-2012, 08:24 PM
I've not kept up with the US Open issues recently. Does anyone know if any players are still owed money???

I really dont know for sure, but i would say not, cause usually when Barry does finally pay everybody from the USOPEN he is on here the next day bragging about, hopefully he did pay em all by now!

spanky79
12-28-2012, 12:21 AM

As of last Sunday I heard NO not everyone has been payed yet.