PDA

View Full Version : Pool America Sports 2

jimM
11-28-2012, 06:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_26YRru6IE

Please comment as much as possible. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Thanks,
Jim

cleary
11-28-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm not exactly sure what I was looking at. If the purpose was trying to sell me or others, it's fairly slow and boring. Most of the footage looks great but for the most part, it's just boring. The song just doesn't fit. That's love making music. I would find a different song. Way too slow.

Consider speeding it up, quicker cuts and be more to the point with your message. I watched it twice and it really doesn't make sense. It starts off talking about players making money then randomly into a format for playing. It's very confusing.

Also, "Pool America Sports", I would rework that name. It's very awkward.

Just constructive criticism.

jimM
11-28-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm not exactly sure what I was looking at. If the purpose was trying to sell me or others, it's fairly slow and boring. Most of the footage looks great but for the most part, it's just boring. The song just doesn't fit. That's love making music. I would find a different song. Way too slow.

Consider speeding it up, quicker cuts and be more to the point with your message. I watched it twice and it really doesn't make sense. It starts off talking about players making money then randomly into a format for playing. It's very confusing.

Also, "Pool America Sports", I would rework that name. It's very awkward.

Just constructive criticism.

Get a life Cleary. I guess I should ask you before I do anything. Do you have any questions, I'll answer them.

Jim

cleary
11-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Get a life Cleary. I guess I should ask you before I do anything. Do you have any questions, I'll answer them.

Jim

Yes, I have a questions... what the $*@& are you doing? It doesn't make sense.

cleary
11-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Sorry for offering constructive criticism, but I guess you know it all already. Good luck bud.

pwd72s
11-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Actually..I kind of liked it. One suggestion would be to not use paypal exclusively while making it easy to pay by another means.

Call me old & silly...but I do NOT put my credit card numbers on the net!

beetle
11-28-2012, 11:33 AM
You said, "Please comment as much as possible." and then followed up with this? You'd better get some thicker skin, you'll need it.

Good luck,
--Steve

Jim

bdorman
11-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Please comment as much as possible.

At the risk of joining cleary in the doghouse...I have very little idea of what I'm buying, how to buy it or when I'm supposed to buy it. Another poster mentioned PayPal vs. Credit Card but I didn't see reference to either one.

I know it costs $9.95 and is an investment in my future. Video quality was excellent. I like the music although a little more uptempo would probably appeal to the younger market.

I've marketed dozens of start-ups and I know how hard it is to hear criticism of something you've worked so hard on: It's like a knife in the heart. But I wish people would have been more critical of my work. It would have saved me a lot of money.

beetle
11-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Actually, there's a lot more detail and clarity with Jay Helfert's new venture, "Funny Ball".

If not here, could you at least provide a description for the YouTube video so we have some idea of what is being proposed?

Jaden
11-28-2012, 12:01 PM
At the risk of joining cleary in the doghouse...I have very little idea of what I'm buying, how to buy it or when I'm supposed to buy it. Another poster mentioned PayPal vs. Credit Card but I didn't see reference to either one.

I know it costs $9.95 and is an investment in my future. Video quality was excellent. I like the music although a little more uptempo would probably appeal to the younger market.

I've marketed dozens of start-ups and I know how hard it is to hear criticism of something you've worked so hard on: It's like a knife in the heart. But I wish people would have been more critical of my work. It would have saved me a lot of money.

It sounded like he was asking for charity rather than promoting something I might be interested in.

The goal in marketing is to convince your target market that you have something they cant live without, not beg for 10 dollars like a newspaper boy who cant collect...

Jaden

jimM
11-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Yes, I have a questions... what the $*@& are you doing? It doesn't make sense.

Now, there's a question.

We are making a city team league. I am going to video the games, edit them together and put them up on PPV for $9.95. 90% of the PPV money will be split between the players on the two teams. 60%/40% winners and losers.

We plan to have 8 teams in this area competing. As long as the teams are within driving distance.

The reason this can be a good future for pool players is that everyone always looks for someone to come in to the pool world and put up money and take care of everyone. Or make some great production that will air on NBC prime time. Well, I don't believe that will happen. So our model takes a very simple and realistic view of the situation. Since no outsider can really help, the players have to do it for themselves. If enough players watch the matches, everyone on 8 teams can make more money than 85% of the top players now. That's 48 players making a living wage.

The games will be very interesting and the players are great. But if you think deeper than just the entertainment or learning value, you as players, can have control of your futures. Playing pool could actually be a valuable skill. If $50-$100,000 a year is common for players, there would be a lot more people looking to play and make it a career.

The fact is, if the players don't want to support this, it won't go anywhere. But in killing this, they may be killing their future possibilities. They won't have a place to make money when they finally get good enough to be in that position.

Thanks,
Jim

More questions, please.

Quesports
11-28-2012, 12:08 PM
I like the part where it says this $9.95 investment is for your future. Reminds me of the old "you give me" line. I'll invest in my future by keeping my money in my pocket. JMO!

cleary
11-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Now, there's a question.

We are making a city team league. I am going to video the games, edit them together and put them up on PPV for $9.95. 90% of the PPV money will be split between the players on the two teams. 60%/40% winners and losers.

We plan to have 8 teams in this area competing. As long as the teams are within driving distance.

The reason this can be a good future for pool players is that everyone always looks for someone to come in to the pool world and put up money and take care of everyone. Or make some great production that will air on NBC prime time. Well, I don't believe that will happen. So our model takes a very simple and realistic view of the situation. Since no outsider can really help, the players have to do it for themselves. If enough players watch the matches, everyone on 8 teams can make more money than 85% of the top players now. That's 48 players making a living wage.

The games will be very interesting and the players are great. But if you think deeper than just the entertainment or learning value, you as players, can have control of your futures. Playing pool could actually be a valuable skill. If $50-$100,000 a year is common for players, there would be a lot more people looking to play and make it a career.

The fact is, if the players don't want to support this, it won't go anywhere. But in killing this, they may be killing their future possibilities. They won't have a place to make money when they finally get good enough to be in that position.

Thanks,
Jim

More questions, please.

That makes a little more sense and should be included in your video. I think you're drawing dead with the idea, but that's just my opinion. I offered you nothing but good criticism on your video and you snapping back at me was uncalled for.

JCIN
11-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Much respect for giving something a shot. I don't understand it and I don't think many others will either but good on you for trying to create something. Hopefully the players involved put in as much effort as you have.

Majic
11-28-2012, 01:25 PM
................................;)

jimM
11-28-2012, 02:13 PM
It needs to be more sexy for that kind of money....;)

This is an attempt to make a system for professional players to make money like any other pro player. The idea is simple, if you and a lot of players watch, there will be money flowing to the top players who tend to drive the sport in a lot of ways. If they are making more money than they do now, it may catch the eyes of non players and make the pool business bigger.

I guess I really have to expect comments like this until people realize what is actually possible. If you just wait for something sexy, you will be waiting for a long time and everyone else will be making money except the players.

For the guy who will keep his money for his future, your future will be the same as it is now. I don't really know if this will work, because I really don't know what is in the hearts and minds of most players if there is a real opportunity to do something. It can be shown on paper how this will work. It just takes the thought of: Do I want to buy a couple of beers or do I want to support the sport?

As for Cleary, I know him and I tend to like him. I see him all the time. I just wish he would tell me in person what he thinks.

Quesports
11-28-2012, 02:28 PM
This is an attempt to make a system for professional players to make money like any other pro player. The idea is simple, if you and a lot of players watch, there will be money flowing to the top players who tend to drive the sport in a lot of ways. If they are making more money than they do now, it may catch the eyes of non players and make the pool business bigger.

I guess I really have to expect comments like this until people realize what is actually possible. If you just wait for something sexy, you will be waiting for a long time and everyone else will be making money except the players.

For the guy who will keep his money for his future, your future will be the same as it is now. I don't really know if this will work, because I really don't know what is in the hearts and minds of most players if there is a real opportunity to do something. It can be shown on paper how this will work. It just takes the thought of: Do I want to buy a couple of beers or do I want to support the sport?

As for Cleary, I know him and I tend to like him. I see him all the time. I just wish he would tell me in person what he thinks.

That guy would be me, but your wrong, the more money I save the rosier my future will be. You stated that by sending you my money it would be an investment in my future. Somehow, I find that rather hard to believe... Good Luck to you!

Majic
11-28-2012, 02:40 PM

.................................................. .rs.

cleary
11-28-2012, 02:42 PM

You do see me all the time and you don't talk to me. If you value my input, you can always ask me in person and I'll gladly give you my honest opinion on how to better your videos. Believe it or not, I do this kind of thing for a living on a professional level.

Houstoer
11-28-2012, 02:44 PM
I looked at it and have no idea what you're trying to do or want the person to do. Might be ok as just a promo but lacks very little information and I agree the music is not right. If I were you I would listen to every thing cleary is telling you....

jimM
11-28-2012, 03:19 PM
I looked at it and have no idea what you're trying to do or want the person to do. Might be ok as just a promo but lacks very little information and I agree the music is not right. If I were you I would listen to every thing cleary is telling you....

Listen guys, this isn't the show. This was just something to start this conversation. So, thanks for that.

One thing I can truly say about this deal, is that I don't have much of a horse in this race. It is tons of work and most of the money will go to the players. One of the reasons that this can work is that I am going to work on it without much help. Please ask Cleary what it would cost for 50-60 hours of editing and production time. That's probably why it hasn't been done so far. How can you give the players so much if the production costs 80% of what you are going to get in the beginning.

Cleary, I'll say hi to you the next time I see you. You're usually in a game though.

RobertaAgnor
11-28-2012, 03:36 PM
From the video & now some explanation as to what it's about, I'm getting interested...

Listen guys, this isn't the show. This was just something to start this conversation. So, thanks for that.

One thing I can truly say about this deal, is that I don't have much of a horse in this race. It is tons of work and most of the money will go to the players. One of the reasons that this can work is that I am going to work on it without much help. Please ask Cleary what it would cost for 50-60 hours of editing and production time. That's probably why it hasn't been done so far. How can you give the players so much if the production costs 80% of what you are going to get in the beginning.

Cleary, I'll say hi to you the next time I see you. You're usually in a game though.

336Robin
11-28-2012, 04:03 PM

Jim,
I hope this thing works out the way youve planned. I havent seen your video just yet but its clear you are trying to do something to turn the tide in pool. Doing so without working yourself to death is usually....not done....I hope someone appreciates your efforts....I bounce promotional ideas off a friend of mine in the industry quite often and in 2yrs of it....we havent found anything anyone is willing to pay for yet.....So when you look at the amount of failure that we have its no surprise of the dropping numbers of players in pool. Our Industry isnt supported by an organization such as the Dairymens organization whose job is to keep Americas mind on Milk......Got Milk?....

Our sport has in the past been sort off self supporting and people came in because other people got them involved......were invited....had time to play....then economy, video age, smoking banned etc, etc became involved and wa...laaa we have virtually no new players being created.....and we have no organization in place to do it....

So what do we do?

That is a question Id love to find an answer to......and for me its much more important that making sure a few players get paid, although its a interesting idea I have to admit.

But from what Ive encountered a lot of room owners seem hesitant to actually do advertising for their businesses....they are trying to make it.....and I guess dont have the money to raise the conciousness of the locals to the idea that pool even exists....rising rents, lack of players, trouble selling alcohol due to regulations.....its a dog eat dog business.....

so whats the answer? ......well id sure like to know.....give me a holla when you find out...

Just another lovely day in paradise......

336Robin :thumbup:

aimisthegameinpool.com
aimisthegameinpool@yahoo.com

Jodacus
11-28-2012, 04:11 PM
I think I know what its about and
its not a bad idea. I agree with pdw
about ways to pay. I hate using pay pal
under any circumstances but I do have
a low limit credit card I use exclusively
on the net. Also think about being able
to watch the match either live or
recorded. That way I'm not so concerned
about my $10.00, and I'm more likely to
go ahead and pay for it right away.

I can see myself participating, depending
on the teams.

Good luck!

Lumocolor
11-28-2012, 04:15 PM
It needs to be more sexy for that kind of money....;)

Translated: He wants to watch Earl play wearing nothing but ankle weights and elbow pads...lol.

Majic
11-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Translated: He wants to watch Earl play wearing nothing but ankle weights and elbow pads...lol.

.................................................: )

jimM
11-28-2012, 09:58 PM
From the video & now some explanation as to what it's about, I'm getting interested...

Thank you Roberta. I don't know at what level you may play, but this should be very interesting to B,A, and open players, cause they are on the brink of being able to compete on a higher level. We also want to have women playing. Not only because it makes it more interesting, but it is, in my eyes, the best thing for the sport.

Thanks,
Jim

RobertaAgnor
11-28-2012, 11:03 PM
No problem, I just play APA & have for over 20 years with breaks taken at times but I've been playing ever since I could. I don't claim to be great but I'm ok. I did like the video, you had my very good friend (but more like family) Tony & anything I can do to support anything he's associated with I will do :)

Thank you Roberta. I don't know at what level you may play, but this should be very interesting to B,A, and open players, cause they are on the brink of being able to compete on a higher level. We also want to have women playing. Not only because it makes it more interesting, but it is, in my eyes, the best thing for the sport.

Thanks,
Jim

cajunfats
11-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Jim, I just watched the video. It is a good visual collage to set the tone. While the written graphics give a brief overview of concept, it interferes with the visual. Downsizing the font would help, but the real drawback is not having a voice over artist to convey the message verbally. This video, as is, with a narrator describing the purpose and benefits, would be a huge asset to developing this idea. You might find an aspiring voice artist who might do the voiceover as a resume credit.

I see what direction you are heading in order to create the professionals having an additional revenue stream. Each viewer who participates, is spending their entertainment dollar to support the concept. Nothing wrong with that. Keep plugging away. It is a good thing you are doing.

Carl

jimM
11-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Jim, I just watched the video. It is a good visual collage to set the tone. While the written graphics give a brief overview of concept, it interferes with the visual. Downsizing the font would help, but the real drawback is not having a voice over artist to convey the message verbally. This video, as is, with a narrator describing the purpose and benefits, would be a huge asset to developing this idea. You might find an aspiring voice artist who might do the voiceover as a resume credit.

I see what direction you are heading in order to create the professionals having an additional revenue stream. Each viewer who participates, is spending their entertainment dollar to support the concept. Nothing wrong with that. Keep plugging away. It is a good thing you are doing.

Carl
Thanks Carl, I appreciate your comments.

I was thinking that it would be interesting to have a viewer player. A player picked(out of a hat) from the viewers to come to play with the team of their choice. It would be an unpaid position, but both teams would have a viewer player and these two players would play the first game in the match. They would get to meet the other players on the team and get a feel of what it is like to play with a group of great players. I would probably have to have people apply by email for the viewer player so it would be someone that is interested in doing it and able to make it to the match.

What do any of you think about this idea?

Jim

cajunfats
11-29-2012, 10:34 AM

I was thinking that it would be interesting to have a viewer player. A player picked(out of a hat) from the viewers to come to play with the team of their choice. It would be an unpaid position, but both teams would have a viewer player and these two players would play the first game in the match. They would get to meet the other players on the team and get a feel of what it is like to play with a group of great players. I would probably have to have people apply by email for the viewer player so it would be someone that is interested in doing it and able to make it to the match.

Jim I like it. Kind of a Celebrity Guest Match. I encourage the following:

Each chosen guest receive a Team Shirt from their respective Team as a prize. Other sponsor prizes as the program develops. A Value System of Rewards.

Insert the Guest Match at the Midway(Halftime) point in the competition. If you do it first, it will aggravate the viewers because they paid to see the Pro's. If you do it at the end, the viewer will merely switch out from end of competition. Make them anticipate the next round. Heightened Expectations.

During the Half-Time, have the commentators get 3-5 minutes for evaluations of the first matches, then a projection for the second half. Exacly like the NFL games do it (Visa Halftime Report). Expert Analysis.

During second half pauses in action give 1 minute Thank You responses to the Guests. Courtesy from both sides/Sportsmanship.

I like this concept you are developing. It has a lot of virtue.

The selecting of the guests will need a definitive structure to avoid no-shows and bailers.

Thanks Jim.

edd
11-29-2012, 12:01 PM

Jim

Jim, I like the concept. Best of luck to you; I appreciate all the hard work you've been putting into this. I like both your idea of a viewer player, and Carl's suggestion for voice over.

jimM
11-29-2012, 01:47 PM
I like it. Kind of a Celebrity Guest Match. I encourage the following:

Each chosen guest receive a Team Shirt from their respective Team as a prize. Other sponsor prizes as the program develops. A Value System of Rewards.

Insert the Guest Match at the Midway(Halftime) point in the competition. If you do it first, it will aggravate the viewers because they paid to see the Pro's. If you do it at the end, the viewer will merely switch out from end of competition. Make them anticipate the next round. Heightened Expectations.

During the Half-Time, have the commentators get 3-5 minutes for evaluations of the first matches, then a projection for the second half. Exacly like the NFL games do it (Visa Halftime Report). Expert Analysis.

During second half pauses in action give 1 minute Thank You responses to the Guests. Courtesy from both sides/Sportsmanship.

I like this concept you are developing. It has a lot of virtue.

The selecting of the guests will need a definitive structure to avoid no-shows and bailers.

Thanks Jim.

These are fantastic ideas. One reason that I wanted the guests to play first is that they actually would be part of the game as I was thinking of it. Their score would count which would make it more fun and interesting. Plus the pros will be more interested in helping them before the match. If they played in the middle and it counted, it could change the match more. But, if they played in the middle and it didn't count, it would prolong the game too much. We shot the first game and it went very long. (These guys really wanted to beat each other). And at the end, you are right that no one would watch if it didn't count, but if it did count, that wouldn't work. But if they play in the beginning and they are good and they won their game, theoretically they could be left in to play again.

Thanks

Mark Griffin
11-29-2012, 01:52 PM
I have read all of thi sthread but have not been able to really respond.

I support the concept that Jim is doing.

I DO NOT agree that the players should get 90% of the total proceeds - because the concept will not be able to grow - or even afford itself.

Initially, Jim is doing all the work.
That cannot happen on a larger scale.

But the concept of teams and all that is very good.

I want to support (and will in some way) but right now, I am running crazy trying to keep my house in order.

Jim is doing a good thing - but this is an experiment.
I will be watching and encouraging this project.

As to the 'draw a player' to play on a team.
That needs to be more for exhibition and photos than score keeping because the teams will be affected by how this 'guest' plays. Great promo idea though.

Mark Griffin

justnum
11-29-2012, 01:57 PM
This is way classier than the new The Action Report. If pool america is an online alternative to action report, it has more players and more action. I love watching top rated pros miss, but I love seeing several top pros make their shots count. In the marathon that action report is, pool america is more suitable for average viewers.

It is in a publicly viewed space in a historic pool room, at least part of the promo was in one, with real spectators.

Will it make it? Tough in the beginning to say, but the players seem to support it.

With smartphones and instant uploads, there is a great chance for non-traditional materials to be gained from internet access. They've been piggy backing off youtube, vimeo, it is the new low cost alternative to maintaining a website.

PS: Reminds me of "Moneyball" corporate pirates with new ideas on how to run a sports organization face off with traditional methods of management.

MCP
11-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Earlier this year around August MSG network in NYC was televising the 2011 Mosconi cup
They have Been running it like a series showing matches once or twice a week first team to win 11 matches takes the title the coverage was excellent.
It openend with some cool music and fancy editing really gets you pumped to watch some great pool.
they started the show with a recap of the prior match show the standings And introduce the players for the match you are about to watch.
Great crowd Support real good camera work, good announcers very exciting.
Also from time to time they showed some of the Classic Mosconi cup matches from past years.
IMO---
The team concept works very well for pool on TV. 2 teams battling it out
in this case ( Mosconi cup your country vs. there’s)
the players and the crowd really get into it --- players wearing team colors a referee great lighting it looks and feels like professional sports event which is what it is .
My Daughter who has no interest in pool what’s so ever actually got into the Mosconi cup and in a very short time was rooting for Johnny Archer and Rodney Morris---
My wife is a film maker and I will tell you from personal experience what JM is attempting to do is really challenging you live it 24/7 365 wish the project all the best.
MCP

cleary
11-29-2012, 03:11 PM
The idea of teams playing each other is good and I do like the fact that you can change games unlike the Mosconi Cup, I think 1pocket should be in there as well.

I think something like this could work if major cities around the country traveled to play each others. Only well known/high level players.

I know from helping JCIN with some TAR matches, selling PPV isn't easy even when you have high level pool. Fact of the matter is, people are just cheap. It's a real hard sell to even break even.

That said, Jim's idea of 8 local nyc teams might be a VERY hard sell. Honestly speaking, there are maybe 3 or 4 players in nyc that can really play on the "ppv level". There are many short stops and A players around, but I cannot see people paying to watch them. Just my honest opinion for whatever it's worth.

jimM
11-29-2012, 04:47 PM
The idea of teams playing each other is good and I do like the fact that you can change games unlike the Mosconi Cup, I think 1pocket should be in there as well.

I think something like this could work if major cities around the country traveled to play each others. Only well known/high level players.

I know from helping JCIN with some TAR matches, selling PPV isn't easy even when you have high level pool. Fact of the matter is, people are just cheap. It's a real hard sell to even break even.

That said, Jim's idea of 8 local nyc teams might be a VERY hard sell. Honestly speaking, there are maybe 3 or 4 players in nyc that can really play on the "ppv level". There are many short stops and A players around, but I cannot see people paying to watch them. Just my honest opinion for whatever it's worth.

You're probably right on most of it, but not to try this wouldn't work for me. I didn't say that there would be 8 teams in NY. 2 in NY is enough. The other teams have to be from Philadelphia, Boston, Pittsburgh, etc. At most a one night stay over, but in driving range.

I understand that PPV is tough, but no one has offered this type of system yet and I just have more faith in the basic intelligence of pool players than most. The fact is that pool players look out for themselves, and when you clear away all the bullshit around these games, it comes down to being for the players. So, that is why I have a strong belief that this will work. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's my time and money and I can gamble with it.

Thanks Cleary,
Jim

jimM
12-01-2012, 09:31 AM
I have read all of thi sthread but have not been able to really respond.

I support the concept that Jim is doing.

I DO NOT agree that the players should get 90% of the total proceeds - because the concept will not be able to grow - or even afford itself.

Initially, Jim is doing all the work.
That cannot happen on a larger scale.

But the concept of teams and all that is very good.

I want to support (and will in some way) but right now, I am running crazy trying to keep my house in order.

Jim is doing a good thing - but this is an experiment.
I will be watching and encouraging this project.

As to the 'draw a player' to play on a team.
That needs to be more for exhibition and photos than score keeping because the teams will be affected by how this 'guest' plays. Great promo idea though.

Mark Griffin

I obviously don't agree with you completely. You have done much more pool related things than I have and I probably will ever do, but I am not looking at it in the same light as you are.

The work will be very difficult at first, but as we go on and get a system of editing and look, it will get better. I plan to have all the editing done in one place, not edited all over the place and sent in. I want to keep a look that is consistent throughout the leagues.

My expenses will also be softened by any advertising that I may be able to put into the videos. Advertisers may be interested in this format because it isn't just for the one show, it will be in the video forever. Also, I will eventually be able to sell hats and t-shirts, etc. If a players name is on the t-shirt, I will split the profit with him or her.

Also, the frequency of what I do will be more often than the players. If we get enough teams, I could be working every week even though each player may work only once a month. My only real expense may be getting more computers to speed up the process, or to work on two or three games at once.

Also, it comes down to the players and supporters. If I make about the same as the players and my cut is $500, then that will be more difficult to deal with than if my cut is $3500.

I have always said that this system is going to live or die on the shoulders of the players. It won't be my failure if it dies, it will the failure of the players to see something that can actually work for them this time. And I mean them.

B,A,and Open players should especially be supportive of this because they are on the edge of needing a place to make money with the skills that they have worked on for such a long time. Right now, there really isn't anywhere to go that can be steady.

Thanks,
Jim