PDA

View Full Version : BCA 8 Ball Rules Question

Bumpa
11-28-2012, 01:16 PM
A little help please.

If a player illegally pockets a ball without otherwise commiting a foul, does the player lose his turn, and does the opposing player get ball-in-hand or simply shoot the cue ball from where it lies?

Thank you.

Rick

chevybob20
11-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Are you asking for league rules? BCAPL

DogsPlayingPool
11-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Assuming the shooter did not make his called shot in the process, then it is loss of inning only and incoming player accepts balls in position. BIH results from fouls and simply sinking an opponent's ball is not itself a foul if the shot is otherwise legal.

The situation you describe comes up regularly. It is not at all unusual to hit a legal shot to purposely make an opponent's ball (for instance, when it is hanging) to replace it with your own, or to clear that pocket for your balls and/or to take away an easy shot that your opponent might also use to play position or easily break up a problem cluster.

This is true of both BCAPL and WPA (BCA) rules.

Banks
11-28-2012, 01:35 PM
A little help please.

If a player illegally pockets a ball without otherwise commiting a foul, does the player lose his turn, and does the opposing player get ball-in-hand or simply shoot the cue ball from where it lies?

Thank you.

Rick

Pocketing the wrong ball or in the wrong pocket is not a foul, unless it is the 8 of course. As long as there is no foul(player's suit was contacted first), cue ball remains where it is and it is now the opponent's turn.

If they made the ball that they're going for, in the pocket they're going for, and also pocketed another ball, it's still their turn.

chevybob20
11-28-2012, 01:48 PM
http://www.playbca.com/downloads/rulebook/completerulebook.aspx

1-16 Calling Ball and Pocket (AR p. 68, 76, 79)

1. You must designate the called ball and the called pocket before each shot. You may make the designation verbally or by a clear, unambiguous gesture. You are not required to call obvious shots. You are not required to indicate incidental kisses and caroms, or incidental cushion contacts that do not constitute bank shots or kick shots. Not all kisses, caroms and cushion contacts are incidental. If a dispute arises as to whether a shot was
obvious based on such contact, the referee is the sole judge. (AR p. 68, 79)

7. If you do not call a shot defined as not obvious and you pocket any ball on such a shot, your inning ends. The incoming player accepts the table in position.

Bumpa
11-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Thank you, everyone.

We're just playing for fun at an assisted living center. Seems like several old guys have their own version of rules for 8 Ball, and I am trying to get everyone to agree on one set of rules.

Rick

DogsPlayingPool
11-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Thank you, everyone.

We're just playing for fun at an assisted living center. Seems like several old guys have their own version of rules for 8 Ball, and I am trying to get everyone to agree on one set of rules.

Rick

That's not at all surprising. If they have a pretty well established set of "house rules" it can be difficult to introduce something different. But if the guys are open to it I'd suggest either WPA or BCAPL rules. They are very very similar but I like the BCAPL rules because they have applied rulings that can be useful in calling unusual situations that pop up.

BTW, I noticed that you didn't actually specify in the OP that it was an opponent's ball, but the same thing is true even if the shooter illegally pockets one of his own balls on a legal shot - ball stays down and inning is over with incoming player taking the balls in position.

Schwinn
11-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Thank you, everyone.

Rick

This was surprisingly a little frustrating for me recently at a home party. Bar rules are an infection in pool. Most people think you are cheating when you take ball in hand instead of in the kitchen, among other disagreements...