PDA

View Full Version : If pool is an addiction...

8onthebreak
11-28-2012, 07:50 PM
If pool is an addiction,...then I'm going thru serious withdrawals.
As my career continues to grow, so do my responsibilities to it, as does the economic reward for busting my ass.

Add to a demanding career, my kids are growing (3) and I need to start thinking about college tuitions, vehicles, added insurance, etc.

I'm finding almost NO TIME for the game I love. If I'm lucky, I make it to my pool match LATE, play my 4 games, and I'm lucky if I can do that 3 times a month. Yes...12 games a month.

Lately, I'm feeling like there's an empty hole that needs to be filled. I find myself thinking constantly about playing pool, but can't till pool night. Now, I haven't played in 3 weeks, I'm soon looking forward to playing on Thursday...and I find out yesterday that I have a company client dinner party that night. Maybe if I'm lucky I can sneak out and make pool LATE, shoot 4 games and go back,...but I miss the 4 hour long grind practice sessions with other competent players...It's been years since I've had one of those.

I feel sorry for those folks that don't have something like pool in their lives, I've learned so much about competing, working under pressure, mind control, patience, strategy, geometry, physics, friendships, effective leadership skills, communication, mentoring, coaching, psychology, winning and losing, and much more from playing pool over the years..

I use all of this experience in my career and in life now and just feel sorry for those not fortunate enough to have experienced it.

I guess lately I just feel sorry for myself. I just remind myself, could be worse...I could get fired and have all day to play but no quarters to put into the table :rolleyes:

Life goes on, just thought I would vent.

If pool is an addiction, I think I'm going through withdrawals!!!

KoolKiller
11-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Nice read, I am feeling exactly the same like you.
3 yr old, new baby, a promotion at work that comes with more responsibilities, constant travels, complaining wife, can only play pool one night every week and no practice, just the match then have to go home:mad:

I never thought it takes that much effort to play pool....but still, I'm enjoying it...

As my career continues to grow, so do my responsibilities to it, as does the economic reward for busting my ass.

Add to a demanding career, my kids are growing (3) and I need to start thinking about college tuitions, vehicles, added insurance, etc.

I'm finding almost NO TIME for the game I love. If I'm lucky, I make it to my pool match LATE, play my 4 games, and I'm lucky if I can do that 3 times a month. Yes...12 games a month.

Lately, I'm feeling like there's an empty hole that needs to be filled. I find myself thinking constantly about playing pool, but can't till pool night. Now, I haven't played in 3 weeks, I'm soon looking forward to playing on Thursday...and I find out yesterday that I have a company client dinner party that night. Maybe if I'm lucky I can sneak out and make pool LATE, shoot 4 games and go back,...but I miss the 4 hour long grind practice sessions with other competent players...It's been years since I've had one of those.

I feel sorry for those folks that don't have something like pool in their lives, I've learned so much about competing, working under pressure, mind control, patience, strategy, geometry, physics, friendships, effective leadership skills, communication, mentoring, coaching, psychology, winning and losing, and much more from playing pool over the years..

I use all of this experience in my career and in life now and just feel sorry for those not fortunate enough to have experienced it.

I guess lately I just feel sorry for myself. I just remind myself, could be worse...I could get fired and have all day to play but no quarters to put into the table :rolleyes:

franko
11-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Yes it is , I know because I am addicted.I have a Diamond table in my home and can not function well at doing anything until I go downstairs and hit some balls.It has been this way for me since June 8th 1999.I know the exact date because I keep. Daily log and am now on my 3rd legal pad.

Katipunan
11-28-2012, 08:56 PM
One solution to these withdrawals is to install a pool table at home so somehow you can still hit some balls and unwind when you make it home after a busy schedule.

Tramp Steamer
11-28-2012, 09:20 PM
You think you've got it tough. I've been feeling kind of depressed lately so I called one of those suicide hotlines. I had to press one for English.
I got transfered to a call center in Pakistan, and I told the guy that I was suicidal. He asked if I could drive a truck.
I'll tell you, somes days it doesn't pay to get out of bed. :)

Blue Hog ridr
11-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Just the other day, I was stopped at a traffic light when a group of Pakistanis pulled up along side and started in with their anti American slogans. The light turned green and they sped off leaving me sitting there kind of stunned. Half a block up, a tractor trailer unit ran a red light completely crushing the car full of Pakis.

I just sat there even more stunned. I thought to myself, wow, I could have been that guy.

So the next day I went out and signed up for truck driving lessons.

pt109
11-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Well, if you can't make it to the pool hall often enough to satisfy your
cravings.....just check into AZ more...it'll take edge off.

AZBILLIARDS is the methedone of pool.

..and you can always make a tape of a typical day at a pool room..
...you can hear the balls being hit every night on your ear phones as you
drift off.....and the normal pool talk....

"Did you see that ball roll off? I got a #$%@ skid on that shot!
My Caddie's an idiot. Wrong game,dummy...no, my caddie really IS an idiot."

and try Master chalk as an underarm deodorant

mortuarymike-nv
11-28-2012, 10:53 PM
We all want the best for our kids, and a education is at the top of the gifts that we can give. And some things the kids can help earn them selfs.

No matter, the kids are worth the extra effort......

MMike

naji
11-29-2012, 08:38 AM

I do not think pool itself is addictive, but wining in general in any sport, gambling, drinking, and being with your buddies is for sure addictive.

Pool is a tool for these addictive behaviors.

Hang in there, at age 50 you might have time to get back to it!!

I feel your pain.

Black-Balled
11-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Table at home...only way to go, family man.

CreeDo
11-29-2012, 09:46 AM
That sounds tough. I ended up having to give up the wife for pool, true story. Besides AZ, I think watching pros match up is a good fix. I look forward to the next TAR match... but in a pinch, you can order up some accustats DVDs and then watch them the next time you're stuck at home and it's late and you've got the itch.

fastone371
11-29-2012, 10:55 AM
I do not think pool itself is addictive, but wining in general in any sport, gambling, drinking, and being with your buddies is for sure addictive.

Pool is a tool for these addictive behaviors.

Hang in there, at age 50 you might have time to get back to it!!

I feel your pain.

Hang tough. I think the activity of shooting itself can be addictive. Most of the people I shoot with wont play for more than a buck a game if Im lucky but that doesnt make me want to play or win any less. I agree with the table at home, got a GC in my basement and hardly a day goes by that I do not want sneak in at least an hour of table time by myself. Even the forums are not enough to dampen my desire to shoot, in fact it probably makes me want to play even more.

EasyEJL
11-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Table at home is one good solution. Another is to find someplace close to work that has pool tables and food, and hit them for lunch. Granted, you won't get to play with the same players for a 4 game stretch, but you'll still get it partially out of your system

MikeMaaen
11-29-2012, 12:02 PM
To all with withdrawl...I've been there, career, travel, responsibility, time constraints, demanding clients, multiple demanding jobs and cues collecting dust. NOW I am retired, installed a 9ft Pro Am and my only continuing challenge is finding enough practice partners. Keep the faith as this "withdrawl" period will pay the bills, feed the family, pay the tuition and eventually you can cash in your unused vacation and buy a diamond.

row21097
11-29-2012, 12:14 PM
For me it's therapy.

Pidge
11-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Pool is a lot like crack or heroin, luckily AZ is your methadone.

Rio19
11-29-2012, 12:29 PM

I believe pool is addictive. The competition is like a high that pool players chase and when we don't get that fix it is like having withdrawals. I too am faced with working/raising four children and being a good husband. I'm thankful that I am able to be a provider for my family but there is always that thought in back of my mind that wishes I had more time to play pool.

I have also been on the opposite end and became burned out. I remember being in the pool hall from the time the doors opened till they kicked me out so they could close for the night. I was playing APA four nights a week plus practice and then just shooting with friends so at that time my life was in the pool hall and I just got tired. I remember coming home one night and telling my wife if I never shoot again it would be too soon.

Now I have little time to shoot and I wish I could get back to those days when I could go when I wanted to. I watch the pro matches on Youtube and Inside Pool Mag and Ustream but that just make me want to play more. :mad:

What is the perfect balance for a Pool Hall Junkie with a Job and Family?