PDA

View Full Version : What's the best gold crown?

RShellhouse
11-28-2012, 08:04 PM
What do you think the best gold crown is for home use and why....

scottjen26
11-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Timely poll - looking to get a table for the home finally, and have seen a few GC 1's, 3's, and 4's out there. Not sure what I'll end up with yet, but curious to see the feedback and results!
Scott

poolhustler
11-28-2012, 08:50 PM
I have had many GC's. 2- III's, 1 - II and a nice black IV.

Currently have a GC II in my garage, so that's how I voted.

They all are pretty good in my opinion.

TXsouthpaw
11-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Voted other cause I'd say the centennial or the GC V
Tournament edition. Tight pockets from the factory can't b beat.

RShellhouse
11-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Thanks Southpaw....those are 4.5 from the factory?

R

3andstop
11-29-2012, 07:13 AM
I really don't know what the table pros recommend in the Gold Crown line, but I have a GC III that is on a cement floor and from time to time I notice a bit of slate misalignment.

Now, I don't know if it is relative to the assembly or what, But .. If I ever buy another one, I'll be looking for the doweled slates on the older tables, whatever number that happens to be. :)

pt109
11-29-2012, 07:26 AM
The last Gold Crown I would buy is a 111...lotta horror stories about them.
I think Brunswick cheated on the rubber.
10 years ago, within the trade, I could buy new rubber for $36 or buy
Brunswick Super Speed for $140....I think they put their name on the
$36 rubber.
I had a friend who bought 10 GC111's.....they needed re-rubbering in less
than 3 years.

CreeDo
11-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Here's a question for the GC experts.

Which gold crowns feature black rails instead of the cheesy wood pattern?
And was it an option, or only a specific model, or what?

Black and chrome look awesome on a table.

Saturated Fats
11-29-2012, 10:31 AM
My table mechanic says that the GC I is the best built.

franko
11-29-2012, 11:52 AM
I have had many GC's. 2- III's, 1 - II and a nice black IV.

Currently have a GC II in my garage, so that's how I voted.

They all are pretty good in my opinion.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/martinbro/DSC00102.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/martinbro/DSC00103.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/martinbro/DSC00095.jpgThat is a cool looking table.

RBLilly
11-29-2012, 12:21 PM
That is a cool looking table.

Ditto! I like the way they painted it blue, looks killer! I would have probably painted the bottom blue too instead of the white, but what can I say I like blue! hahahaha

RBLilly
11-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Personally I like Diamond better than Gold Crown, and the fact that the V copied the pockets of Diamond should say something. LOL

pt109
11-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Personally I like Diamond better than Gold Crown, and the fact that the V copied the pockets of Diamond should say something. LOL

Basically the Diamond is GC with the bugs taken out.....
,,,no pocket casting to ruin your cue or hand on....
...no pocket you can't bridge your cue....
...no name plate that tears your knuckles.

But if I had to hit a tough snooker for my life....
...I hope it's on a Gold Crown 1.....or an Anniversary....
...simply familiarity

porper-sig
11-29-2012, 01:32 PM
I voted for the V. On par with pro-am's ?? Maybe..

scottjen26
11-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Since I'm in the market for one potentially, are you guys saying the III is crap? I would be worried about getting a GC I, having someone disassemble to bring it to my house and setup and finding cracked slates or other issues.

I've seen some for $700 - $800, figured for another $600 - $700 I can have it moved, cleaned up and setup professionally with Simonis 860, or even shimmed or re-rubbered for a few hundred more. Less than $2000 for a great playing table, vs. paying the same for a smaller, lesser playing "furniture" style.

Am I thinking right or not? Big decision...

Scott

ENGLISH!
11-29-2012, 02:59 PM
The last Gold Crown I would buy is a 111...lotta horror stories about them.
I think Brunswick cheated on the rubber.
10 years ago, within the trade, I could buy new rubber for $36 or buy
Brunswick Super Speed for $140....I think they put their name on the
$36 rubber.
I had a friend who bought 10 GC111's.....they needed re-rubbering in less
than 3 years.

Interestingly, I was just talking to the hall owner yesterday about rail rubber. My Sport King is over 46 years old & the rubber has not been changed & is still excellent. It might be real rubber & not some compound. I do not really know. It might also be the 'weather' conditions under which it has been kept. It's an interesting question.

Regards,

Six Shooter
11-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Here's a question for the GC experts.

Which gold crowns feature black rails instead of the cheesy wood pattern?
And was it an option, or only a specific model, or what?

Black and chrome look awesome on a table.

A friend of mine in Georgia has a black and chrome GC III. Beautiful table.

roberthans
11-29-2012, 03:57 PM
I have a three with simonis and artemis rubber and I am very happy with it.

vicki h
11-29-2012, 06:01 PM
hi everybody, i have 5 of the new gold crowns and i can honestly say they are the best gold crowns ever built. they have features that the earlier crowns just dont have. they are better looking by far with the nickel trim, they brought back the heavier rail like the early crowns, and the frame on these are way heavier too. a wider rail with flush pocket corner castings are also state of the art improvements, also no slate shimming needed with the gc5. our players all prefer the new fives over any thing else in the room, including schimttys diamond. gary henry, o0wner of garys victor billiards.

CanonShooter
11-29-2012, 06:10 PM
The best GC is any GC that Glen AKA Real King Cobra can put his hands on. And that's Undisputed!

Harold Smith
11-30-2012, 03:18 AM
I voted other. I like GC's but if you have ever shot on a Metro with double shimed pocket, you would fall in love with it. Its like a Diamond along the rails with the pocket inserts . Just a great table.--Smitty

pdcue
11-30-2012, 04:52 AM
The best Gold Crown, by far, is an Anniversary/Centennial.

With that said, The GCII is the best by prety far.

As a side note - IMHO - tighter pockets don't make a table better.
Better to gamble on, maybe. Better to practice on, maybe.

Dale

DecentShot
11-30-2012, 04:56 AM
The best Gold Crown is a Diamond Pro-Am.

pdcue
11-30-2012, 05:02 AM

Not for nothing, but if we are talking about who copied whom, Brunswick,
and plenty of other table manufacturers, built tables with 4 1/2 inch
corner pockets about 100 years before the Diamond boys were born.

I'm just sayin'...

Dale

realkingcobra
11-30-2012, 07:30 AM
;)Not for nothing, but if we are talking about who copied whom, Brunswick,
and plenty of other table manufacturers, built tables with 4 1/2 inch
corner pockets about 100 years before the Diamond boys were born.

I'm just sayin'...

Dale

Really...name one?;) Brunswick's tournament edition GC4&5's have 4 9/16" corner pockets, not 4 1/2" as most would like to believe;)...and inconsistent pocket sizes from one corner to the next. I'm not knocking GC's, but believe me, they're NO BETTER than the mechanic that works on them, and neither is a Diamond for that matter. A great table mechanic can take shit and turn it into ART, but a bad table mechanic can take the best tables built...and turn them into SHIT in NO TIME at all. There is no such thing as a bad Gold Crown, they're all almost the same design with a few minor changes from one design to the next, but Diamond didn't copy Brunswick to get their tables to play the way they do today, that's all Diamond, just like a Gold Crown is all Brunswick. Either table is a great table to own, but look at the resale value of the Gold Crowns vs the resale of Diamond's, that SHOULD tell you something overall;)

Glen

tom mcgonagle
11-30-2012, 08:28 AM
I've played on every model and I like the V the best. They are solid and they keep you honest pocketing balls.

http://tommcgonaglerightoncue.com

Island Drive
11-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Timely poll - looking to get a table for the home finally, and have seen a few GC 1's, 3's, and 4's out there. Not sure what I'll end up with yet, but curious to see the feedback and results!
Scott

I voted for GCI but I also found the II's great. Difference, GC I's have a flint based slate that's repairable if cracked and they have much thicker (poplar)slate frames to raise the play surface to 31'' since the leg pads don't adjust. Since there is more area to attach the cloth too when pulled tight, the wood is likely to be in better shape, especially the newer models that use inferior wood frames. The pocket irons on a GCI have barrel holes for the bolts to run thru and don't wiggle loose in a commercial enviornment like others can. (Hm use this should not be a concern). The ball counters on the I and II are the same and work well compared to Any other comparable overseas made counters. The GC I' and II's also have ball boxes for other games and the top rail laminates are nearly indestructible, I've seen later models peel up, tho this is rare and may be due to improper storage. If you get the earlier models, the cushions may still be in good shape due to their quality, but where and how they were stored are of concern. Make sure you look at each slate before your purchase, and make sure they are a matched set, there's usually a common mark across em all that was there when made, and they must match perfectly. Take a tbl mechanic with you to help. Good luck,

pt109
11-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Interestingly, I was just talking to the hall owner yesterday about rail rubber. My Sport King is over 46 years old & the rubber has not been changed & is still excellent. It might be real rubber & not some compound. I do not really know. It might also be the 'weather' conditions under which it has been kept. It's an interesting question.

Regards,

I know many Gold Crowns from the 60's that play well with original rubber.
...and a few Anniversaries.
The GC-1V is a nice table but the ones I've played are already showing
some soft spots in the rails...ball banks a little wide and slow, you hit one
inch farther and it banks normal.
I had a GC-1 re-rubbered with Super Speed 4 years ago...it needs new
rubber and it's gonna be Artemis.

Haven't played on a GC-V yet.

The North American auto industry was taken over by the money men in
the early 50's ( before that, the car-freak engineers had the last word )
We the public paid for that with cars that were inferior until imports
made them mend their ways.....
..I gotta feeling Brunswick has gone this route.

onefortheroad
11-30-2012, 02:15 PM
I've been lurking here at AZ for years and only recently joined and started posting. My vote is GCII. Pretty much the same as GCI with leg levelers. When I was finally ready for a table I knew I wanted an original Gold Crown for several reasons. 1. Can't afford new. 2. Prefer nostalgic vintage stuff, this was THE table when I was a kid. 3. When you ask a master level player if they would like to come over to shoot pool the first question they ask is what kind of table do you have. When you say "a 9ft. Gold Crown I" they ask what time to be there. I found a bunch of info on the GC's here on AZ when researching the differences. From what I learned my table is probably what some refer to as a GC 1-1/2. Supposedly the first GC's had no leg levelers but they started using them before officially going to a GC2. I think there was also a change in the way the rails bolt to the slate. Also mine has the original red monarch cushions and still plays great, at around 50yrs. old! Newer versions got lower quality rubber and don't last like the old ones. I also learned that they went downhill as they progressed and cheapened up the frames (GC3's), but can be modified to overcome their shortcomings. I really don't know anything about the GC5's except that I can't afford one. This one was $1000 but cost another $1000 to ship from Cincinnati to Chicago burbs with professional installation and simonis 860 tournament blue. Someday if I have the money I'd like to get the plastic skirts replaced.

pdcue
11-30-2012, 05:05 PM
;)

Really...name one?;) Brunswick's tournament edition GC4&5's have 4 9/16" corner pockets, not 4 1/2" as most would like to believe;)...and inconsistent pocket sizes from one corner to the next. I'm not knocking GC's, but believe me, they're NO BETTER than the mechanic that works on them, and neither is a Diamond for that matter. A great table mechanic can take shit and turn it into ART, but a bad table mechanic can take the best tables built...and turn them into SHIT in NO TIME at all. There is no such thing as a bad Gold Crown, they're all almost the same design with a few minor changes from one design to the next, but Diamond didn't copy Brunswick to get their tables to play the way they do today, that's all Diamond, just like a Gold Crown is all Brunswick. Either table is a great table to own, but look at the resale value of the Gold Crowns vs the resale of Diamond's, that SHOULD tell you something overall;)

Glen

You're half right - and me a mathematical genius - Greg was prolly born
around 1945 give or take, since 1845 was the year John Brunswick
made his first table in Cincinnati, let's say 50 years.

BTW - perhaps you could use your delicate little finger to point out exactly
where I said in my post that GCs were better than Diamonds, 'Cause I can't find it.

Arcade
Regent
Brilliant Novelty
Kling
Hudson
Urban League
Regina
Arcadian

The 5 x 10 Cenntenials used in World Championship tourneys
untill 1950.

Are you bored yet?

Dale(without looking at the Brunswick site)

realkingcobra
11-30-2012, 06:36 PM
You're half right - and me a mathematical genius - Greg was prolly born
around 1945 give or take, since 1845 was the year John Brunswick
made his first table in Cincinnati, let's say 50 years.

BTW - perhaps you could use your delicate little finger to point out exactly
where I said in my post that GCs were better than Diamonds, 'Cause I can't find it.

Arcade
Regent
Brilliant Novelty
Kling
Hudson
Urban League
Regina
Arcadian

The 5 x 10 Cenntenials used in World Championship tourneys
untill 1950.

Are you bored yet?

Dale(without looking at the Brunswick site)

None of the tables you mentioned had factory built 4 1/2" pockets;) they were 5" or bigger;)

BigDaddyInc.
11-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Nice table poolhustler.

pdcue
12-01-2012, 04:26 PM
None of the tables you mentioned had factory built 4 1/2" pockets;) they were 5" or bigger;)

If you look into it, you'll find 4 1/2 was standard in the early part of the
20th century. Most of the huge old rooms in large cities had 5 x 10
tables. 4 1/2 inch was used on World(and US) Championship tables
untill they changed to 9 foot tables.

But thanks for stoppin by.

Dale

TXsouthpaw
12-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks Southpaw....those are 4.5 from the factory?

R

Yes on the gc5 tourney edition and also the metro
Tournament edition I have here. Which I love.

pdcue
12-01-2012, 04:54 PM
I know many Gold Crowns from the 60's that play well with original rubber.
...and a few Anniversaries.
The GC-1V is a nice table but the ones I've played are already showing
some soft spots in the rails...ball banks a little wide and slow, you hit one
inch farther and it banks normal.
I had a GC-1 re-rubbered with Super Speed 4 years ago...it needs new
rubber and it's gonna be Artemis.

Haven't played on a GC-V yet.

The North American auto industry was taken over by the money men in
the early 50's ( before that, the car-freak engineers had the last word )
We the public paid for that with cars that were inferior until imports
made them mend their ways.....
..I gotta feeling Brunswick has gone this route.

You just couldn't be more correct.

Even the early GCs already had so many compromises to reduced
production costs and "style" they were far inferior to even an Anniversary
and the rest of that previous generation of tables.
Even the 'entry level' Sport King, is a much, much better table than the
Gold Crown.

Comparing GCs to an Arcade is enough to make a strong man weep.

It was a cruel twist of Fate that table design froze with the Gold Crown.
How much better it would have been to have 60 years of variations on
the Anniversary instead.

Dale

david(tx)
12-01-2012, 04:55 PM
I've been lurking here at AZ for years and only recently joined and started posting. My vote is GCII. Pretty much the same as GCI with leg levelers. When I was finally ready for a table I knew I wanted an original Gold Crown for several reasons. 1. Can't afford new. 2. Prefer nostalgic vintage stuff, this was THE table when I was a kid. 3. When you ask a master level player if they would like to come over to shoot pool the first question they ask is what kind of table do you have. When you say "a 9ft. Gold Crown I" they ask what time to be there. I found a bunch of info on the GC's here on AZ when researching the differences. From what I learned my table is probably what some refer to as a GC 1-1/2. Supposedly the first GC's had no leg levelers but they started using them before officially going to a GC2. I think there was also a change in the way the rails bolt to the slate. Also mine has the original red monarch cushions and still plays great, at around 50yrs. old! Newer versions got lower quality rubber and don't last like the old ones. I also learned that they went downhill as they progressed and cheapened up the frames (GC3's), but can be modified to overcome their shortcomings. I really don't know anything about the GC5's except that I can't afford one. This one was $1000 but cost another $1000 to ship from Cincinnati to Chicago burbs with professional installation and simonis 860 tournament blue. Someday if I have the money I'd like to get the plastic skirts replaced.

Very nice , i'm jealous . Old room feel. All pool table pictures require a full rack though :grin:

pdcue
12-01-2012, 05:12 PM

Nice Crown road.

If the rails bolt into a figure eight plate - It's a GCI.
The GCIIs used a burried nut, so all you see is small hole on the underside
of the rail. IMHO - perhaps the only change done to actually improve the
quality of a table.

Dale

bbb
12-01-2012, 06:08 PM
i didnt vote since i havent played on all of them
but WHY is 1/2 better than 3/4/5/
?????

dbldown
12-01-2012, 06:27 PM
My table mechanic says that the GC I is the best built.

The GC1 was carpenters union made , everything overbuilt to last. mine is 50 this year and it plays great. Original red rubber and double shimmed to 4 3\8 corners. Best to wait for a gc1 avoid the 3 as said before.

rrich1
12-01-2012, 06:33 PM
The GC1 was carpenters union made , everything overbuilt to last. mine is 50 this year and it plays great. Original red rubber and double shimmed to 4 3\8 corners. Best to wait for a gc1 avoid the 3 as said before.

i have a 3 and there is nothing wrong with it at all. table is well made and sturdy

realkingcobra
12-01-2012, 06:34 PM
If you look into it, you'll find 4 1/2 was standard in the early part of the
20th century. Most of the huge old rooms in large cities had 5 x 10
tables. 4 1/2 inch was used on World(and US) Championship tables
untill they changed to 9 foot tables.

But thanks for stoppin by.

Dale

Dale, I've worked on many...many Antique Brunswick pool tables over the last 29 years, including all the 1920's Brunswick's at the 211 Club in Seattle, and I can tell you for sure...without a doubt, Brunswick NEVER produced a factory built pocket pool table with 4 1/2" corner pockets. Even the GC4 tournament edition was over 4 1/2" wide, but was shimmed tighter than stock to get that way. The GC5 is Brunswick's first real attempt at producing a 4 1/2" pocket pool table without trying to get there with extra thick pocket shims, the rails are actually extended with the wood from the sub-rail, but still only hits 4 9/16" at the points of the pockets. But you sir, are more than welcome to find what ever proof you feel you can find to back up your statement....and time you wish. I'm not saying someone way back when didn't double or triple shim the pockets on older Brunswick's in the past, what I am saying, is that Brunswick didn't do it the tables were built at the factory level;) And, there's a reason why the 9ft size came about, it didn't just appear one day on the show room floor for sale. The 9ft size table was decided as a compromise between the 10ft's played on in the northern states, and the 8ft's played on in the southern states....as opposed to producing both size tables, and became more in common use, therefore creating the declining request for 10ft pocket pool tables;)

Glen

pdcue
12-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Dale, I've worked on many...many Antique Brunswick pool tables over the last 29 years, including all the 1920's Brunswick's at the 211 Club in Seattle, and I can tell you for sure...without a doubt, Brunswick NEVER produced a factory built pocket pool table with 4 1/2" corner pockets. Even the GC4 tournament edition was over 4 1/2" wide, but was shimmed tighter than stock to get that way. The GC5 is Brunswick's first real attempt at producing a 4 1/2" pocket pool table without trying to get there with extra thick pocket shims, the rails are actually extended with the wood from the sub-rail, but still only hits 4 9/16" at the points of the pockets. But you sir, are more than welcome to find what ever proof you feel you can find to back up your statement....and time you wish. I'm not saying someone way back when didn't double or triple shim the pockets on older Brunswick's in the past, what I am saying, is that Brunswick didn't do it the tables were built at the factory level;) And, there's a reason why the 9ft size came about, it didn't just appear one day on the show room floor for sale. The 9ft size table was decided as a compromise between the 10ft's played on in the northern states, and the 8ft's played on in the southern states....as opposed to producing both size tables, and became more in common use, therefore creating the declining request for 10ft pocket pool tables;)

Glen

So, you have fantazied some reunion of Civil War Veterans who reached
a compromize on the size of pool tables.

In fact, the decline of the 10 ft table was mostly due to attempts to get
more people interested in pool, and other factors, almost all purely economic. 29 years doesn't seem very long to me.

My info is from people, mostly just one guy, who dealt in Antiques for decades.

BTW - back to that reading thing. Brunswick was far from the only company that made pool tables.

Dale

realkingcobra
12-03-2012, 08:28 PM
So, you have fantazied some reunion of Civil War Veterans who reached
a compromize on the size of pool tables.

In fact, the decline of the 10 ft table was mostly due to attempts to get
more people interested in pool, and other factors, almost all purely economic. 29 years doesn't seem very long to me.

My info is from people, mostly just one guy, who dealt in Antiques for decades.

BTW - back to that reading thing. Brunswick was far from the only company that made pool tables.

Dale

Dale, all you have to do is post up some proof buddy;)

RAMIII
12-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Since I'm in the market for one potentially, are you guys saying the III is crap? I would be worried about getting a GC I, having someone disassemble to bring it to my house and setup and finding cracked slates or other issues.

I've seen some for $700 - $800, figured for another $600 - $700 I can have it moved, cleaned up and setup professionally with Simonis 860, or even shimmed or re-rubbered for a few hundred more. Less than $2000 for a great playing table, vs. paying the same for a smaller, lesser playing "furniture" style.

Am I thinking right or not? Big decision...

Scott

The best GC is any GC that Glen AKA Real King Cobra can put his hands on. And that's Undisputed!

I have a GCIII installed by a local guy and Cobracized by Real King Cobra, and I can truly say that once you have Glen handle your table, it's no long a Brunswick. He puts so much work into each table that he's really rebuilding the table to his precision specs.
So Scottjen26, buy a Gold Crown, pretty much any model with slate in good condition, and have Glen come in to work on your table, or Mark Gregory may be near you in FL. This will be the best table money can buy. I've got about $2500 into my GC including subrail ext and all. I don't know if I will get all of my money back if and when I sell the table, but I'll certainly get more than a furniture table, and more because it's an RKC table.
Glen, come back to Texas! It's getting too cold up north right now :)
-Ryan

pt109
12-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Nice Crown road.

If the rails bolt into a figure eight plate - It's a GCI.
The GCIIs used a burried nut, so all you see is small hole on the underside
of the rail. IMHO - perhaps the only change done to actually improve the
quality of a table.

Dale

I believe it was better than a buried 'nut' on the GC11.
It was actually a 'bar' about 3 inches long with a little extra room for some
play to align the hole.
I was aware of this 'cause I know a company that copied it.
A great system, far superior to the British 'steel block' system with their
side-mounted rails.

I would really like to know what RKC thinks about the older tables that
were side-mounted....I've turned down a couple good deals on beautiful
old tables because of this old rail system.
Seems to me that the over-sized slate with the bolts going DOWN through
the slate is the best.

cleary
12-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Any of them that are set up good will be the best.

Maxx
12-04-2012, 12:07 PM
The best Gold Crown is ......

whichever one you have in your basement!

(IV for me)