PDA

View Full Version : LF a new cue....need some advice.....

formidableone14
11-28-2012, 08:46 PM
So Im in the market for a new cue, NEW, so pls no offers on used ones from members although I do appreciate it. Right now I have three main focus brands and they would be Schon, Lucasi and Joss. I currently am playing with a retired Mcdermott cue (M7-QR1) and have used it for the past 10 years, however I would like to change it up a bit even though I like the Mcdermotts playability. I would just like to actually "retire" it and move forward to something new and more than likely better :D So any info, insight, advice or whatever you want to call it would be greatly appreciated. I live in Dallas and have access to the names Ive listed to shoot around with and see what feels best, so ultimately that is what will decide.

pwd72s
11-28-2012, 09:20 PM
I doubt if it'll play any better than what you have, but Schon is probably making the best looking production cues.

dr9ball
11-28-2012, 10:05 PM
however I would like to change it up a bit even though I like the Mcdermotts playability. I would just like to actually "retire" it and move forward to something new and more than likely better :D

Once you reach a certain quality point in cue construction you are unlikely to find "better".

Buy what you like but don't think any cue is going to make you better.
If you want a new cue why not just have a custom cue, (from a highly regarded cue maker), made to your specs and design?
Just my opinion.

Cornerman
11-29-2012, 05:22 AM
So Im in the market for a new cue, NEW, so pls no offers on used ones from members although I do appreciate it. Right now I have three main focus brands and they would be Schon, Lucasi and Joss. I currently am playing with a retired Mcdermott cue (M7-QR1) and have used it for the past 10 years, however I would like to change it up a bit even though I like the Mcdermotts playability. I would just like to actually "retire" it and move forward to something new and more than likely better :D So any info, insight, advice or whatever you want to call it would be greatly appreciated. I live in Dallas and have access to the names Ive listed to shoot around with and see what feels best, so ultimately that is what will decide.

If you're used to and like your McDermott and your hell bent on one of those three brands, I would suggest the Schon as their hit is a good transition from the McDermott even though they are steel collared and piloted shafts.

I'm a fan of Joss cues and recommend them often but I think the feel of their cues are too different of a philosophy from your McDermott and are more reflective of the steel joint cue family.

In case you were looking for something a little more custom or made by a one-man shop rather than a medium or mass producer, might I suggest Jerry Olivier in the Houston area? Not only is he from your state (albeit a very large state) but his cues would tend to be again in the same philosophy of feel as your McDermott.

Freddie <~~~ thinks Schon and Olivier play in the same sandbox

formidableone14
11-29-2012, 07:15 AM
If you're used to and like your McDermott and your hell bent on one of those three brands, I would suggest the Schon as their hit is a good transition from the McDermott even though they are steel collared and piloted shafts.

I'm a fan of Joss cues and recommend them often but I think the feel of their cues are too different of a philosophy from your McDermott and are more reflective of the steel joint cue family.

In case you were looking for something a little more custom or made by a one-man shop rather than a medium or mass producer, might I suggest Jerry Olivier in the Houston area? Not only is he from your state (albeit a very large state) but his cues would tend to be again in the same philosophy of feel as your McDermott.

Freddie <~~~ thinks Schon and Olivier play in the same sandbox

I guess I should of mentioned as well, my Mcdermott has some SERIOUS issues with it right now which is the main reason for moving on. My butt cap has about 13 cracks and one of which is very large, my joint is loose so everytime I put the shaft on it has about a 1-2mm rotation in it that shouldnt be there. All in all its just falling apart and costs for refurbing it are too high imo at this time, I would prefer to spend it else where on a newer cue that I would take better care of, l was young when I got that cue and had no respect for it sadly.........Im not even gonna get started on the shaft lol.

jhanso18
11-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Just buy a good custom. See below!!!

poolguy4u
11-29-2012, 08:19 AM
I guess I should of mentioned as well, my Mcdermott has some SERIOUS issues with it right now which is the main reason for moving on. My butt cap has about 13 cracks and one of which is very large, my joint is loose so everytime I put the shaft on it has about a 1-2mm rotation in it that shouldnt be there. All in all its just falling apart and costs for refurbing it are too high imo at this time, I would prefer to spend it else where on a newer cue that I would take better care of, l was young when I got that cue and had no respect for it sadly.........Im not even gonna get started on the shaft lol.

Send it back to McDermott for repairs. Sounds like warranty issues.

No one is better than McDermott for warranties. :smile:

For which cue you should get...it just depends on your game and which game you play. Try out other people's cues and to the feel of what you like.

I like Meucci but I see that is not one of your choices. LOL....

formidableone14
11-29-2012, 08:51 AM
I like Meucci but I see that is not one of your choices. LOL....

I actually just returned a Meucci HP-3 (beautiful cue) back to Pooldawg due to MAJOR imperfections in the inlays, bubbles EVERYWHERE in the glue and the hit just didnt feel good, a lot of vibration. I even asked Pooldawg if there was a possibility of it being fake....the logo was smeared and not clean. Believe it or not the CS rep actually told me that there has been a decline in their craftsmanship and at that point I opted to just have my money refunded. Just overall very disappointed bc I played with my friends a long time ago and remember it being a nice cue. Obviously I do not intend to pay 400 for a cue that looks and hits like a wal-mart cue. Since Pooldawg has an amazing return policy I was able to return it.

Also the cue is def not covered under MFG this damage was caused by neglect and I wouldnt feel right saying otherwise, Ive talked with them and Im looking at around 400 bucks for a full repair to 100%

kaznj
11-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Getting input from other people can be good. They can tell you about good and bad experiences. But, you really need to hit with a cue to determine what YOU like. Many people hit with Predator or OB. Some people don't like these. It is a matter of what you personally like. They all make something you will like to look at.
Good luck in your search.
If you can wait until April and can get to the Super Billiards Expo you will find every cue you can image to try.

measureman
11-29-2012, 09:45 AM
You mentioned Lucasi. I have one and I really like it. I just sold a McFadden custom cue and kept the Lucasi.:eek:
When I bought my Lucasi I tried out a Viking-McDermott and a Joss.
Settled on the Lucasi because it just felt right. But feel and hit are very personal.

alstl
11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
A. I believe you are making a mistake avoiding a used cue. You can get a better used cue for the same money you will pay for a new Schon or Joss.

B. If you are going to change cues why not switch from a production to an inexpensive custom?

C. Whatever you buy, try to play with it first.

Therefore my advice would be if for some reason you want to retire your McDermott seek out a used custom and hit some balls with it before you buy it.

formidableone14
11-29-2012, 10:11 AM
A. I believe you are making a mistake avoiding a used cue. You can get a better used cue for the same money you will pay for a new Schon or Joss.

B. If you are going to change cues why not switch from a production to an inexpensive custom?

C. Whatever you buy, try to play with it first.

Therefore my advice would be if for some reason you want to retire your McDermott seek out a used custom and hit some balls with it before you buy it.

How would I go about trying out a custom before I buy? Maybe a dumb question but never considered buying one so i dont know how that would work lol

pwd72s
11-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Buying a custom...boy, that opens it's own can of worms. There are many posts here on that topic. Some horror stories, others of happy customers.

I can say I'm a happy customer of Keith Josey, and I have NEVER read anything but praise on this board for his customer relations.

I would describe the hit of his cues as stiff with great feedback. Another thing I liked is that his cues play consistantly...one of his cues feels like another.

I swapped cues with another Josey owner in my favorite hall...when we traded back to our own cues later we both commented it was the same in hit and feel, despite our cues having been made 4 years apart and having different designs.

http://www.joseycues.com/

Thinking about it, there is another personal advantage to having bought my Josey. Although there is nothing wrong with those who collect cues, my thing is to have a great playing cue. With this Josey, my search for the "magic cue" has ended. I know that I now have a cue that plays about as good as it gets, so my time and money can now be spent on table time instead of searching for the perfect cue.

Jodacus
11-29-2012, 10:58 AM
The hit of a cue resides to a
very large extent in the shaft and
its material and construction.
Changing components of the shaft
changes the hit of the cue. What
seems to be most important in the
butt is how it fits your hand. Diameter,
balance point, and the wrap. Looks
might be important to you also, most
people wont play with an ugly cue.

I've found a well built butt is the foundation.
The feel of the hit can be adjusted by shaft
alteration or a completely different shaft.

Good Luck

Cornerman
11-29-2012, 11:07 AM
The hit of a cue resides to a
very large extent in the shaft and
its material and construction. k

Absolutely 100% disagree. Maybe you meant something else like performance or squirt characteristics.

Freddie <~~~ might as well say the game is all mental

joelpope
11-29-2012, 12:31 PM
I agree with the numerous suggestion to buy custom.

If you go with a credible cue maker you will not have a problem. Two that I know personally that have high quality entry level priced cues are Chris Nitti and Paul Dayton.

I believe you would be hard pressed to get a negative comment about either.

Chris 407.380.6121

Paul 772.489.0577

Good luck

Joel

xplor
11-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Avoid mail order cues. Buy one you can try in the shop. Most custom cues are prefab and may be made from cheap imports or parts. Some shops will give you table time to make up the difference in price.

measureman
11-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Avoid mail order cues. Buy one you can try in the shop. Most custom cues are prefab and may be made from cheap imports or parts. Some shops will give you table time to make up the difference in price.

Really? Where did you get this?

TATE
11-29-2012, 04:21 PM

Fred's suggestion of Olivier is excellent and it does give you a mildly custom name. I would add Pechauer to your list to try.

There is a distinct difference between Schon, Olivier and Pechauer. Line them up and try all three if you can - you will get a good idea as to the balance, feedback, sound, and your personal liking for feel.

mortuarymike-nv
11-29-2012, 04:47 PM

You dont mind giving us a list of all the cue makers that use cheap non usa made parts in there cues . So us novice pool players/ and collectors know which custom cue makers we should stay away from.

MMike

xplor
11-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Show me the Ebony and Cocobolo forests in the United States. How about my favorite the Papua New Guniea rosewood, This richly hued, brownish hardwood is being illegally ripped from Southeast Asian forests, then smuggled by sea and air to be turned into Chinese furniture that can sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some of it also ends up in the finest American guitars, or as billiard cues.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/24/3111360/rare-hardwood-sparks-gunfights.html#storylink=cpy

What about the “pre-spliced” blanks Gus and Burton made for George or George cutting down the “Titlist" cues.

You cue collectors are nuts and set your own prices for cues that may or may not play as good as a Walmart cue.

TonyB2377
11-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Show me the Ebony and Cocobolo forests in the United States. How about my favorite the Papua New Guniea rosewood, This richly hued, brownish hardwood is being illegally ripped from Southeast Asian forests, then smuggled by sea and air to be turned into Chinese furniture that can sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some of it also ends up in the finest American guitars, or as billiard cues.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/24/3111360/rare-hardwood-sparks-gunfights.html#storylink=cpy

What about the “pre-spliced” blanks Gus and Burton made for George or George cutting down the “Titlist" cues.

You cue collectors are nuts and set your own prices for cues that may or may not play as good as a Walmart cue.

There is a big difference in a cuemaker using an exotic wood that is not grown in the US and cheap a$$ Chinese parts in their cues.... Please show me a Walmart cue that plays better than ANY custom cue.

mortuarymike-nv
11-29-2012, 08:51 PM

you said most custom made cues are made from cheap parts.
which custm cue makers are using cheap parts .
you are changing you story
'
i just want know who. A list plaese to back up what you said earlyier post
quote your words Most custom cues are prefab and may be made from cheap imports or parts.
exotic woods are not cheap..................... a list plaese to back your bullshit.
MMike

xplor
11-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Most custom cues are prefab and may be made from cheap imports or parts.

That maybe an exaggeration but it is my opinion. Are all the parts made by the cue maker? Do they turn their joints or buy them? I am sure all cue makers feel they are giving good value. Heaven forbid there are any fakes or shortcuts out there.

formidableone14
11-29-2012, 09:32 PM

That maybe an exaggeration but it is my opinion. Are all the parts made by the cue maker? Do they turn their joints or buy them? I am sure all cue makers feel they are giving good value. Heaven forbid there are any fakes or shortcuts out there.

Alright guys lets not feed the troll....while Im asking for input I do know better than listening to ignorance lol. Also btw I really appreciate ev1 for providing knowledge and aiding in my decision on what I should do. Just an fyi shot a Lucasi tonight that a friend just got, although it was with a OB2 shaft I was not impressed. Not sure if it was the shaft (hoping not, only have heard good things about OB) but it seemed to have ALOT of vibration. Very loud click too.....kinda odd imo.

measureman
11-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Alright guys lets not feed the troll....while Im asking for input I do know better than listening to ignorance lol. Also btw I really appreciate ev1 for providing knowledge and aiding in my decision on what I should do. Just an fyi shot a Lucasi tonight that a friend just got, although it was with a OB2 shaft I was not impressed. Not sure if it was the shaft (hoping not, only have heard good things about OB) but it seemed to have ALOT of vibration. Very loud click too.....kinda odd imo.

Try a Lucasi with the standard shaft it comes with. Mine has no vibration or odd noises. Loud clicks can be a tip or ferrule that is a little loose.Usually the tip.

Chopdoc
11-29-2012, 09:51 PM

I have no idea what that means and seriously question the veracity of the implication.

Chopdoc
11-29-2012, 09:55 PM

I smell complete bullshit. Somebody has spent more time on the internet than in the real world.

Do you play pool? Do you own a pool cue?

See thins LINK. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullshit)

Chopdoc
11-29-2012, 09:56 PM
you said most custom made cues are made from cheap parts.
which custm cue makers are using cheap parts .
you are changing you story
'
i just want know who. A list plaese to back up what you said earlyier post
quote your words Most custom cues are prefab and may be made from cheap imports or parts.
exotic woods are not cheap..................... a list plaese to back your bullshit.
MMike

Mike, you are making too much sense.

Chopdoc
11-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Alright guys lets not feed the troll....while Im asking for input I do know better than listening to ignorance lol.

Well said.

I would suggest trying a JOSS.

I would also highly recommend investigating the idea of a custom as well.

mortuarymike-nv
11-30-2012, 12:28 AM

I see you have your focus on a production cue. And that is your choice.

I would like to offer you some options. az member 63k code lives in texas
he is a custom cue maker you cannot go wrong with larry.

deanoc is in texas and sale cues . and he dont bs around with junk.

hook me horns >Mo is out of texas and sales billiard products for a living.
all 3 of these azers are solid people.

The important thing is that you get in to a cue that you love.
happy cue hunting.
MMike

joelpope
11-30-2012, 04:38 AM
Never heard such a thing... Any specific cue makers you KNOW of do this?

joelpope
11-30-2012, 04:42 AM

Wow, a blinding level of ignorance about cues

The hell with all the know quality cue makers, lets go Walmart, Kmart & Sears if we want a quality hit

Too funny!!!

bbb
11-30-2012, 05:28 AM

bbb
11-30-2012, 05:31 AM
Well said.

I would suggest trying a JOSS.

I would also highly recommend investigating the idea of a custom as well.

i agree with this
also mortuary mike mentioned some cuemakers in your state
supporting them would be a good thing

formidableone14
11-30-2012, 07:24 AM
I see you have your focus on a production cue. And that is your choice.

I would like to offer you some options. az member 63k code lives in texas
he is a custom cue maker you cannot go wrong with larry.

deanoc is in texas and sale cues . and he dont bs around with junk.

hook me horns >Mo is out of texas and sales billiard products for a living.
all 3 of these azers are solid people.

The important thing is that you get in to a cue that you love.
happy cue hunting.
MMike

It is not that Im set on a production cue I have just never rlly considered a custom, I was never rlly to sure how well it could or does play. So like I said it was never a thought that was deeply considered. I would def LOVE to support a local cue maker and even started to consider OB cues which are based out of plano texas which is literally like 5 miles from lol. But as many stated custom seems to be the way to go and I need to dive into this a little deeper maybe.

mortuarymike-nv
11-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Hi formidableone14

The important part is you get into a cue that you will like alot.

I have bought 4 or 5 cues out of the for sale section .There are some very sweet deal in there. and alot of honest people . Good luck in your search
MMike

BobTfromIL
11-30-2012, 08:09 AM
I have both Lucasi's and Schon's really like them both, though I am playing
with a Schon.

Actully getting my third Schon today, a CX83

xplor
12-01-2012, 08:46 PM
The time of custom cues started in the late 50's. When road players were embarrassed to take their personal cues into a pool hall for fear of being called a hustler. A few found a pool hall owner and cue repair man named three fingered George who would saw their cues in half and install a joint. So they could sneak their cues in under their coat.
Up until this time pool cues were factory made and were one piece. At the St. Nicholas Hotel locals stored their cues in a locked glass case behind the counter. Some days visiting players in double breasted suits, bow ties and pinky rings would show up. They had long cases and looked like they were smuggling floor lamps.
In 1961 there was a big interest in pocket pool and a growth in the number of name brand two-piece pool cues. Latter a reference in another movie made Balabushka a magic word. The area of brand name cues was born.

djbalsmann
12-01-2012, 10:00 PM
do ques really matter?

xplor
12-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Glad you ask. There are claims by every cue maker but no testing. Since you are going to be hitting a stationary object ( the cue ball) with a stick you want to know its compressive strength, when you are hitting with the tip. That will tell you how long it will last. If you use English (twisting the cue ball) its bending strength would be good to know.
If you plan to keep it looking good for a long time, you look at its hardness. A problem comes up with fancy cues that have a lot of added things. Most a glued in with Epoxy. Heat will made Epoxy move and cause the inserts to pop. Cold will made Epoxy brittle and crack. Epoxy failure originates at a point of stress concentration and at flaws.