PDA

View Full Version : Pool cue joint a degree or two out, what to do

CjStaal
11-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Hey all I'm new here, but I have a quick question before I go off reading all the interesting threads going on here.
I have a Viking F74 I bought when I was in middle school or so, now I'm in my 4th year of college so it's done me quite well up to this point, original shaft as well!
Anywhoot, the joint pin is a couple degrees off now for some reason, never used joint protectors so I guess I deserve it. How much does it cost to be fixed? Also, how is the fixing done?

mortuarymike-nv
11-29-2012, 01:57 AM
you should post this in ask the cue maker.

how do you know if the pin is off, have you chucked this cue up in a lathe
and checked run out.

did you drop the cue on the pin?

MMike

Harold Smith
11-29-2012, 02:01 AM
If you are dead set on fixing it, its not worth the cost of the repair. You can pick up another decent cue for tprice of the repair.--Smitty

Double-Dave
11-29-2012, 02:24 AM
Viking charges $ 20 or $ 45 for a joint pin replacement, hard to tell what they mean exactly (plus shipping) I would send it there.

http://vikingcuerepair.com/joints-services.php

gr. Dave

Cornerman
11-29-2012, 04:42 AM
CJ Staal = great pool name.

Freddie <~~~ only has one gear... reverse

Maniac
11-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Welcome to the forum, Cj!!!

If you like your Viking cue and it serves you well, I would do what Double-Dave says and send it in to Viking. I believe fixing it would be cheaper than buying a new cue (unless it's a pos, cheapo new cue we're talking about).

Maniac (Viking: Ronnie Alcano's first choice in weaponry)

RRfireblade
11-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Very often it can literally just be "knocked" back straight. It's not terribly difficult if you have some means of spinning the cue to see where it is out. Pretty much any joint other than a radial pin has enough play in the screw threads that it's doesn't have to be perfect anyway. The face of the joint where the shaft seats on the butt is really what makes the union "straight" when assembled.

If you don't have a means to spin it yourself , any decent local cue repair guy should be able to fix it for very little cost assuming it's out as little as you suggest. Trust me, they have all done it before. ;)