PDA

View Full Version : If Bonus Ball Wants To Be Successful...

watchez
11-29-2012, 01:25 PM
With the schedule now starting January 3rd

- they should put it off til the beginning of February. Trying to boost the marketing of their game as a kickoff thru the holiday season is going to be a lost cause. Too many people are thinking of their families, their parties, their last minute Xmas shopping to figure out when or even if they should watch Bonus Ball. Then in January, any sports fan is tuned into the NFL playoffs.

- they should make peace (and that is probably too strong of a statement) with Mark Griffin and the DCC organizers. Get a booth with a table at the DCC - have all of the Bonus Ball Pros be at the booth, promoting the game throughout the enitire week - showing the game. Have the Pros walk around in their jerseys. Make all the other players jealous. You would be amazed at what that does for participation, attendance and interest. Have the Pros announced for their matches as Bonus Ball Player Pro Johnny Archer or whatever. Have the booth selling the jerseys, hats, towels, whatever they can put a logo on. Have people 'take the game' of Bonus Ball home with them so word spreads.

- finsih their season in June or early July. Then approach Mark Griffin again and say you want to have the Bonus Ball individual championships in Vega$ in July during the BCAPL. Run a singles tournament for your Pros. Have it be free admission at least for the first year. Set up another booth - another two weeks of selling your idea to 6,000+ pool enthusiats. I certainly don't want to speak for Mark but he is a very approachable guy. And I never got the impression he is ultra competitive.

If their backing is 100% and not some short sighted shot in the dark, any one should only wish them well. I do think the game of Bonus Ball is what will make them fail. One thing the IPT did right was choosing 8 ball. A game that any bar banger understands and game most players began playing first in a friends basement.

jamesroberts
11-29-2012, 01:51 PM
You make a lot of great points!

richiebalto
11-29-2012, 02:44 PM

- they should put it off til the beginning of February. Trying to boost the marketing of their game as a kickoff thru the holiday season is going to be a lost cause. Too many people are thinking of their families, their parties, their last minute Xmas shopping to figure out when or even if they should watch Bonus Ball. Then in January, any sports fan is tuned into the NFL playoffs.

- they should make peace (and that is probably too strong of a statement) with Mark Griffin and the DCC organizers. Get a booth with a table at the DCC - have all of the Bonus Ball Pros be at the booth, promoting the game throughout the enitire week - showing the game. Have the Pros walk around in their jerseys. Make all the other players jealous. You would be amazed at what that does for participation, attendance and interest. Have the Pros announced for their matches as Bonus Ball Player Pro Johnny Archer or whatever. Have the booth selling the jerseys, hats, towels, whatever they can put a logo on. Have people 'take the game' of Bonus Ball home with them so word spreads.

- finsih their season in June or early July. Then approach Mark Griffin again and say you want to have the Bonus Ball individual championships in Vega$ in July during the BCAPL. Run a singles tournament for your Pros. Have it be free admission at least for the first year. Set up another booth - another two weeks of selling your idea to 6,000+ pool enthusiats. I certainly don't want to speak for Mark but he is a very approachable guy. And I never got the impression he is ultra competitive.

If their backing is 100% and not some short sighted shot in the dark, any one should only wish them well. I do think the game of Bonus Ball is what will make them fail. One thing the IPT did right was choosing 8 ball. A game that any bar banger understands and game most players began playing first in a friends basement.

That sounds like the perfect thing for bonus ball to do or anybody else, dont try to compete with DCC, use them and their space to promote your own (BONUS BALL) idea, i just cant see all these players that are going to take part in bonus ball, wanting to miss DERBY CITY CLASSIC its the biggest thing going on in the pool world once a year! Great idea WATCHES!

cleary
11-29-2012, 02:52 PM
I do think the game of Bonus Ball is what will make them fail. One thing the IPT did right was choosing 8 ball. A game that any bar banger understands and game most players began playing first in a friends basement.

This is the best point. Over complicating the rules and making it hard to follow will not bring new players/fans in. I don't understand why people think they need to reinvent the wheel.

madmiller
11-29-2012, 02:53 PM
If bonus ball wants to be successful it has to do some kind of advertising. Nobody knows about this game.
I play on a couple of different leagues, play a lot of tournaments, hang out in different pool halls and anywhere I go no one even heard about Bonus Ball when I mention it.
The only reason I know about it is because I read az billiards.

Jaden
11-29-2012, 02:56 PM
With traditional games like 8 ball and nineball, it is easy for bangers to watch and 1) still not understand the intricacies of the games and 2) See how horrible they really are at the game.

Introducing a new game like BB that requires agression, banking etc... lends itself to one of the things that draw fans to watching sports, the false idea in their minds that on a good day they might be able to compete with them.

In a game like nineball, no APA 4-6 can watch pros play and say, on a good day, I could do that.

It becomes disheartening to watch.

High school footballers can watch football in their twenties and thirties and it reminds them of the good times of competing and gives them the illusion that if they had stuck with it, they could be right there.

People watching golf, when they showcase the pro who hit it into the woods or the water hazard, or the sand trap, can see that and say, yeah I do that too.

I think that using teams and an aggressive game that will foster at least the appearance of mistakes will HELP to draw in the less informed player and make it MORE interesting to watch, not less.

Jaden

watchez
11-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Sorry Jaden - I disagree. People associate themselves because they understand the game and the rules. They understand that they can't run a 4.3 forty or kick a 50 yard FG or slam a basketball or hit a 400 foot homerun but they still watch because they understand the game. When leagues such as the XFL come along and try to change the rules of football, no one watched. It was still the football right - but just different rules. That equals failure.

Why did hockey become more popular (until they ruined it with the current strike) -- because they dummied down the rules. The public had to understand what they were watching to make it viable for TV. They took away the two line pass. They let the players play more and the guy sitting in his chair that didn't grow up in Minnesota or North Dakota understand the game better.

Sports are successful with more offense - people like people to be successful. They don't want to watch a Pro do something they can do. They want to watch Tiger hit flop shots, 350 yard drives, Jordan take off from the free throw line and fly to the basket, Eli Manning throw 50 yard bombs, Nolan Ryan throw it 103 mph and Pujols hit 40 home runs a season. Oh and they want to watch SVB break and run a 6 pack.

Jaden
11-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Sorry Jaden - I disagree. People associate themselves because they understand the game and the rules. They understand that they can't run a 4.3 forty or kick a 50 yard FG or slam a basketball or hit a 400 foot homerun but they still watch because they understand the game. When leagues such as the XFL come along and try to change the rules of football, no one watched. It was still the football right - but just different rules. That equals failure.

Why did hockey become more popular (until they ruined it with the current strike) -- because they dummied down the rules. The public had to understand what they were watching to make it viable for TV. They took away the two line pass. They let the players play more and the guy sitting in his chair that didn't grow up in Minnesota or North Dakota understand the game better.

Sports are successful with more offense - people like people to be successful. They don't want to watch a Pro do something they can do. They want to watch Tiger hit flop shots, 350 yard drives, Jordan take off from the free throw line and fly to the basket, Eli Manning throw 50 yard bombs, Nolan Ryan throw it 103 mph and Pujols hit 40 home runs a season. Oh and they want to watch SVB break and run a 6 pack.

I agree that they want to see those things, but in every person that watches, there is that part of them that wants to do those things TOO...

If every part of what they watch is just shattering the illusion they create for themselves, it becomes boring to watch.

It's the mistakes that balance the amazing and makes it overall enjoyable to watch.

Jaden

watchez
11-29-2012, 03:37 PM
You are right - go to any pool tournament. The match with the two C players banging it into the rails has the biggest crowd because people can relate to those players and don't want to shatter their illusion.
The match with SVB vs Alex has no one watching.

TAR 30 --I'll let the cat out the bag before JCIN makes the announcement tonight on the pod cast. It is what you and everyone else has been waiting for. It is going to be me vs Disco shooting ball in hand spot shots. We are going to use different colored balls in each round. The viewership should be well over 10,000 PPV.

Jaden
11-29-2012, 03:42 PM
You are right - go to any pool tournament. The match with the two C players banging it into the rails has the biggest crowd because people can relate to those players and don't want to shatter their illusion.

TAR 30 --I'll let the cat out the bag before JCIN makes the announcement tonight on the pod cast. It is what you and everyone else has been waiting for. It is going to be me vs Disco shooting ball in hand spot shots. We are going to use different colored balls in each round. The viewership should be well over 10,000 PPV.

The die hard fan will be there no matter what. I'm not talking about them. Forget about them, they are about as useless to getting pool to be hugely successful as "an asshole right here (pointing to elbow)" (forgive the kill bill reference).

I'm talking about drawing in the banger and the recreational player and the player whose dad bought a pool table for their basement just for the hell of it and for the person who doesn't even really play pool.

I"m talking about an overall package of marketing and presentation that has to have certain elements to draw the most people.

I'm not even saying that BB has them. I'm just saying that it's possible with the right marketing that it might and we should give it a chance.

Jaden

watchez
11-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Then you really make no sense as you now have completely flipped on what you are saying -- do you want the guy that is a true fan that played football in high school or do you want the casual fan that can't throw a football?

The banger won't be drawn in to watch a game they have never heard of or played themselves. Period. End of stoy.

Beyond that, I'll end this discussion with you as to be blunt, you don't get it.

dorabelle
11-29-2012, 03:55 PM
What will make it succeed is revenue.

Ultimately it's not what's best for the players or pool. It's what's best for the consumer. There just aren't enough consumers that will spend money to watch great games we already know and love let alone something new.

Everyone keeps saying that they can get subs to spare when there are other events but then the whole team would have to be subs. Players are going to have to pick one or the other.

As a PPV consumer, I'm afraid BB is going to cripple existing events I love to watch.

dorabelle
11-29-2012, 04:04 PM
What day of the week is bonus ball going to be streamed?

brandoncook26
11-29-2012, 04:16 PM

I think you have an absolutely fantastic idea set here. While I was reading, the first thing I thought of was how Joe V. sets up a pool table to promote his dvd's. BB could set up a 9ft table at their booth and have challenge matches where you can play the game with some of the BB pros. That way people can learn the game and get an experience at the same time.

I think that would go a long way to promote their game. I am not sure what their end game is. Are they trying to take over the market or integrate themselves into the already established pool community. I know myself for one will not quit playing the traditional games I am used to.

ChrisBanks
11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Who wants to develop something that is popular with the masses? Are these not the same people that you call madmen? Is it the allurement of money and recognition that drives this sort of behavior?

Put_upor_shutup
11-29-2012, 05:05 PM
I agree with everything u said.. 8 ball is the game for the masses.No questions asked.ppl know 8 ball.Even the bonus ball players don't know bonus ball...I however wish it the best and will be in Vegas sweating some of it.I hope it works.Complicated game for an apa 3 ranked player to grasp though.

Roger Long
11-29-2012, 05:30 PM

I'm not going to disagree with you, watchez, but I will say that not all people watch sports for the reason you cite. My wife and I are two of them. We love watching pro football and pro basketball. We've never been able to get into collegiate football and basketball because there are too many teams and schedules to try to keep up with. But with the pro ranks, we have our favorite teams, and their schedules and standings are easy to follow, and those are the things that are more important to us than the particular rules they play by. The reason they are important is because our favorite teams are always the teams where we live (or the closest to our location). In other words, they are OUR teams. They represent us when they are out on the court or the field. We identify with them. And we knew very little about the rules when we first started watching years ago, but we stuck with it and learned.

I believe Bonus Ball might have a decent chance at developing a respectable following for the same reason. People will start to identify with one team or another, and all the rules and nuances of the game will be learned later.

Roger

canwin
11-29-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm not going to disagree with you, watchez, but I will say that not all people watch sports for the reason you cite. My wife and I are two of them. We love watching pro football and pro basketball. We've never been able to get into collegiate football and basketball because there are too many teams and schedules to try to keep up with. But with the pro ranks, we have our favorite teams, and their schedules and standings are easy to follow, and those are the things that are more important to us than the particular rules they play by. The reason they are important is because our favorite teams are always the teams where we live (or the closest to our location). In other words, they are OUR teams. They represent us when they are out on the court or the field. We identify with them. And we knew very little about the rules when we first started watching years ago, but we stuck with it and learned.

I believe Bonus Ball might have a decent chance at developing a respectable following for the same reason. People will start to identify with one team or another, and all the rules and nuances of the game will be learned later.

Roger

BB still has to many safes on the end game to make it interesting for me and as long as safes outrun shots as the primary goal to win a game then it's not what interests me. IMO
Canwin

Luxury
11-29-2012, 07:08 PM
BB still has to many safes on the end game to make it interesting for me and as long as safes outrun shots as the primary goal to win a game then it's not what interests me. IMO
Canwin

The end game safes are rare and when they do happen they are two way shots that are still entertaining because they are banks.

dorabelle
11-29-2012, 08:53 PM
BB is competing for viewers against very other stream on weekends. That's where the revenue is gonna come from.

lfigueroa
11-29-2012, 09:09 PM

Holy Mackerel, Batman! Someone offering some sensible ideas. I'm guessing the geniuses at BB will blow them all off.

Lou Figueroa
hope I'm wrong

DrOnePocket
11-29-2012, 10:33 PM
I agree with the OP.

The other main issue is that they expect people to pay to watch. IMO it's never gonna happen on a large scale. That is what tv and commercials are for.

I like the game itself, but how people that play on leagues are going to grasp it, Im not sure. They struggle with 8 and 9 ball.

AtLarge
11-30-2012, 12:09 AM
... The other main issue is that they expect people to pay to watch. IMO it's never gonna happen on a large scale. That is what tv and commercials are for. ...

I, too, can't see how PPV would ever support something this expensive. The ultimate objective for revenue must be something quite different.

markpatrick
11-30-2012, 12:42 AM

1) what the hell is bonus ball? any links available?
2) it has NO shot against the NFL and the DCC in January.
IMO..... I do need to find out what it is though?:cool:

If you have a link to the info please provide it.

derekdisco
11-30-2012, 03:11 AM

JCIN is gonna be pissed.

punter
11-30-2012, 04:29 AM

Well, you give some good advice, but end by saying BTW, you are going to fail because the game of bonus ball sucks. We all know they are not about to change the game, so why bother with telling them how to promote what you and probably quite a few others think is a losing idea to begin with.

JB Cases
11-30-2012, 04:35 AM
Canwin

But then this is where the shot clock and match clock comes into play. Players will have to go for shots to beat the clock.

JB Cases
11-30-2012, 04:40 AM
I, too, can't see how PPV would ever support something this expensive. The ultimate objective for revenue must be something quite different.

I am going to take a wild guess and guess that the idea is to create a show that can be sold to TV. My guess is that they will be producing shows that are tv quality and can be edited as needed for whatever market they are being sold into.

My bet is that if they get on a solid channel that it will then be easier to bring on outside industry sponsors and advertisers which then of course begins to finance the next season.

DecentShot
11-30-2012, 05:05 AM
Having watched a little of it on youtube, its interesting. The North American (USA, Canada) players seemed to know the rules, but not necessarily how to play the game differently because of them. My guess is, if it catches on, players from North America are going to be scratching their heads wondering how the players from the Far East got so good, so quick.

canwin
11-30-2012, 07:31 AM
But then this is where the shot clock and match clock comes into play. Players will have to go for shots to beat the clock.

visionary genius.. rimshot please

decent dennis
11-30-2012, 08:11 AM

Roger

And that is why I think it will fail. Do your 'Home Teams' play there games in Vegas? Is there any plan to actually have the teams mingle with the actual cities they represent [ Ha, Ha], citizens. I also think 8-ball is the way to go,it's easier to understand and it's the first game most of us played.

Roger Long
11-30-2012, 08:59 AM
I am going to take a wild guess and guess that the idea is to create a show that can be sold to TV. My guess is that they will be producing shows that are tv quality and can be edited as needed for whatever market they are being sold into.

My bet is that if they get on a solid channel that it will then be easier to bring on outside industry sponsors and advertisers which then of course begins to finance the next season.

John, my bet is that your bet is right on the money.

Roger

Majic
11-30-2012, 09:04 AM

Yes sir. TV money is the ONLY way this will survive, unless the pockets are way deep and sustainability is not an issue.

jalapus logan
11-30-2012, 09:16 AM
I think you have an absolutely fantastic idea set here. While I was reading, the first thing I thought of was how Joe V. sets up a pool table to promote his dvd's. BB could set up a 9ft table at their booth and have challenge matches where you can play the game with some of the BB pros. That way people can learn the game and get an experience at the same time.

I think that would go a long way to promote their game. I am not sure what their end game is. Are they trying to take over the market or integrate themselves into the already established pool community. I know myself for one will not quit playing the traditional games I am used to.

I agree with this. Brandon convinced me to give playing BB a shot. I just could not get into it. Perhaps I can warm up to it over time, but I suspect that I will still only want to play the games that I fell in love with in the first place - 8 ball, 9 & 10 ball, 14.1 and 1pckt. I suspect many feel as I do.

Having said all that, BB does incorporate some great elements from many games of pool. But in the end, I do have to agree with watchez. And yes, I still think that 8 ball would be the game of choice to expand viewership. Everyone knows it and the rules are very simple.

jalapus logan
11-30-2012, 09:22 AM
I should mention that I do think that they are right in making this a team event. Teams does add more excitement. Mosconi cup is a prime example.

Roger Long
11-30-2012, 09:23 AM
And that is why I think it will fail. Do your 'Home Teams' play there games in Vegas? Is there any plan to actually have the teams mingle with the actual cities they represent [ Ha, Ha], citizens. I also think 8-ball is the way to go,it's easier to understand and it's the first game most of us played.

I think you missed my point.

There are more ways to identify yourself with a favorite team other than it being your "home" team. You may have a favorite player, or players, on a particular team, and have that be the reasoning for calling it your favorite. You also do not have to meet and mingle with the players in order to pull for them. Calling the teams after the names of cities is just a way of identifying each group of players and having some sort of consistent segregation between them for purposes of building history, creating rivalries, tracking stats, etc.

The concept of having professional teams compete in a league format is nothing new to sports (as we all know), but it is definitely something new to pool. The actual rules and location will be of little consequence in whether or not it will succeed.

Roger

JCIN
11-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Yes sir. TV money is the ONLY way this will survive, unless the pockets are way deep and sustainability is not an issue.

Matchroom does tv. They do pool...hell they even do darts on TV. They are a comparatively giant company compared to BB with established products that have the production already paid for and they can not sell the biggest event in pool in the US television market.

Think about that for that for a minute. Biggest event in pool, broadcast ready and no one in the US TV market will buy it.

All that said I agree with you 100% that TV is the only possible method of sustaining something this expensive. I just can't see how they pull that rabbit out of the hat though.

Houstoer
11-30-2012, 09:47 AM
sounds like if bonus ball wants to be successful they need to hire you sir as the marketing rep ! +1 on all your ideas... I also think that 8 ball is the way to go. Let the bonus ball happen but let them play a few matches of 8 ball teams also then do a survey to the masses and see what is more popular. I'd bet a shiny new dollar bill that it would be teams 8 ball since that is what 75% of the people in all pool rooms play (yea I just made up that percent)... :)

Majic
11-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Matchroom does tv. They do pool...hell they even do darts on TV. They are a comparatively giant company compared to BB with established products that have the production already paid for and they can not sell the biggest event in pool in the US television market.

Think about that for that for a minute. Biggest event in pool, broadcast ready and no one in the US TV market will buy it.

All that said I agree with you 100% that TV is the only possible method of sustaining something this expensive. I just can't see how they pull that rabbit out of the hat though.

Well, then add the fighting Britts and some Pinoys and attempt to sell it outside of the US market. (humor)

Kid Dynomite
11-30-2012, 11:30 AM
One more suggestion! They should chronicle the players and process! Call it the real world meets pool a espn documentary!

Depicting who goes bust, loses his cue, gets into bar fights. Takes down the house at the casino.

A very great story and i would pay to see it. Gamblers row. Road trips, derby the whole 9 chronicled. Angie has a ton of footage for her project! She could help?

KD

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

lee brett
11-30-2012, 11:47 AM
One point everyone keeps missing, 8 ball is way too easy. One thing is for sure an amateur player WON"T beat a pro at BB.

watchez
11-30-2012, 12:40 PM
One point everyone keeps missing, 8 ball is way too easy. One thing is for sure an amateur player WON"T beat a pro at BB.

That observation makes no sense. Who cares how easy or how hard it is?

I have 10 friends that have 210+ averages in bowling. They didnt put bowling on TV with 50 yard lanes, 20 pins, and 6 pound bowling balls.

It has to be something people understand - first and foremost - if it is an activity that a large % of the population already do in their leisure time.

Please bonus ball, if you want to be successful - don't listen to people just because they can draw their ball. Pool is in the current state it is in because of them.

spanky79
11-30-2012, 12:55 PM
if pool, poker and pain cant get an audience, what makes you think making up a silly game with flashing lights and uniforms is gona do it.

KoolKat9Lives
11-30-2012, 01:08 PM
if pool, poker and pain cant get an audience, what makes you think making up a silly game with flashing lights and uniforms is gona do it.

Not for nothing... (and not to sidetrack this thread)

Posted on Facebook a few days ago:

Blair Thein
Pool, Poker & Pain "mma" series being talked about by two Emmy award winning producers Jay Adam's & Doug Stanley as the NEXT HUGE HIT in 2013. PPP fans,friends.contestant;s please like & share this video we plan on filming a sizzle reel/casting call in Melbourne Florida dates and location TBA very soon. I have alot of people to thank that has supported me over the last 10 years chasing PPP. I am so proud to have these guys as my partners in this show and believe with these guys producing PPP the sky is the limit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVKaQo_4BqY&feature=share
www.youtube.comLike Share November 25 at 6:26pm

Majic
11-30-2012, 01:15 PM

add females and you might be onto sumthin ;)

spanky79
11-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Not for nothing... (and not to sidetrack this thread)

Posted on Facebook a few days ago:

Blair Thein
Pool, Poker & Pain "mma" series being talked about by two Emmy award winning producers Jay Adam's & Doug Stanley as the NEXT HUGE HIT in 2013. PPP fans,friends.contestant;s please like & share this video we plan on filming a sizzle reel/casting call in Melbourne Florida dates and location TBA very soon. I have alot of people to thank that has supported me over the last 10 years chasing PPP. I am so proud to have these guys as my partners in this show and believe with these guys producing PPP the sky is the limit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVKaQo_4BqY&feature=share
www.youtube.comLike Share November 25 at 6:26pm

it has been talked about for years, its just talk

1on1pooltournys
11-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Watchez,

Is it the Christmas Spirit that has you giving away million dollar ideas? :confused:

watchez
11-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Watchez,

Is it the Christmas Spirit that has you giving away million dollar ideas? :confused:

All my ideas are copyrighted - :)

But here is what will happen - they will have their Bonus Ball and wonder why know one knows about it or is watching. They will have their 800K in camera equipment and 3 million dollar studio. And then they will add one more failure to the mix -they will get some ex pool player that can draw his ball to be the lead announcer and it will be the same as it always is. That is where pool fails too in trying to market to the masses. They keep using all these pool people to announce. Joe Rogan may know a lot about UFC but I have never seen him in the Octagon. Al Michaels made the greatest call in the history of sports and he has never faced a slap shot. Vin Scully is the greatest baseball announcer in history, doing it by himself for I forget how many decades and has never faced even an 80mph fastball. Marv Albert couldn't even dribble a basketball.

I don't like to speak for people but I can imagine that TAR has had some of it's success because they have avoided many of these pitfalls. They took the time to discuss their ideas outside of the people that can draw it 3 rails. They put people in the booth and people that the pool world got to know that aren't there simply because they are denoted as being some 'champion'.

Again - just because you can draw your ball doesn't mean you know diddly squat about running a business, building a brand name, owning a pool room or announcing an event. But pool, it's almost entire world, just keeps spinning on that down the drain.

Jaden
11-30-2012, 04:12 PM
All my ideas are copyrighted - :)

But here is what will happen - they will have their Bonus Ball and wonder why know one knows about it or is watching. They will have their 800K in camera equipment and 3 million dollar studio. And then they will add one more failure to the mix -they will get some ex pool player that can draw his ball to be the lead announcer and it will be the same as it always is. That is where pool fails too in trying to market to the masses. They keep using all these pool people to announce. Joe Rogan may know a lot about UFC but I have never seen him in the Octagon. Al Michaels made the greatest call in the history of sports and he has never faced a slap shot. Vin Scully is the greatest baseball announcer in history, doing it by himself for I forget how many decades and has never faced even an 80mph fastball. Marv Albert couldn't even dribble a basketball.

I don't like to speak for people but I can imagine that TAR has had some of it's success because they have avoided many of these pitfalls. They took the time to discuss their ideas outside of the people that can draw it 3 rails. They put people in the booth and people that the pool world got to know that aren't there simply because they are denoted as being some 'champion'.

Again - just because you can draw your ball doesn't mean you know diddly squat about running a business, building a brand name, owning a pool room or announcing an event. But pool, it's almost entire world, just keeps spinning on that down the drain.

I think that until pool starts using some traditional advertising to let people know about what's going on, the pool world will be doomed to repeating the same mistakes.

I think print and radio advertising along with something that can hook a general audience and give them something to get behind like supporting a team that they can associate themselves with could do wonders...if anything can.

That's why I had mentioned that they may be trying to target vacationers from the various spots that the teams are supposedly from at the casinos or on vacation to come as they would to other vegas shows. Since the entry isn't as high as most vegas shows, you might be surprised at how successful that may be.

Shit, anything would have to be more successful than what pool has been managing to do in the last several years. That's not saying that it would be enough, but we can hope that it will and that it could lead to something similar for tenball or other cue games and more general interest in pro pool...

Jaden

Jaden
11-30-2012, 04:18 PM
That's also why I said would've been a good thing to do. With as dead as Vegas has been in recent times with the shitty economy, I wouldn't want to be trying that method and relying on it for any major portion of the revenue...

Jaden

watchez
11-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Jaden - have you been to Vega$ lately? They haven't been hurting for several years for people to be there.

Oh and the economy just set a record for Black Friday sales and Cyber Monday sales.

Jaden
11-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Jaden - have you been to Vega$ lately? They haven't been hurting for several years for people to be there.

Oh and the economy just set a record for Black Friday sales and Cyber Monday sales.

Haven't been to Vegas in a couple of years, just going by what I heard and saw in the past and until you, hadn't heard anything counter to it.

Jaden