PDA

View Full Version : Are older Predator 314s better?

Flex
04-14-2006, 06:46 AM
A local player tells me the older Pred shafts are better than the new ones. First I hear about this. He says that he played with an older one that was made of six splices instead of the ten or whatever they now use, and that it played a lot better. Is this true or a bunch of hooey?

Flex

shanesinnott
04-14-2006, 07:00 AM
A local player tells me the older Pred shafts are better than the new ones. First I hear about this. He says that he played with an older one that was made of six splices instead of the ten or whatever they now use, and that it played a lot better. Is this true or a bunch of hooey?

Flex

Its a bunch of hooey :)

They are worth more though (the 6 & 12 piece) as there were a very limited number made in 6 piece and 12 piece before Predator went to 10.

will8834
04-14-2006, 08:08 AM
Did they go to a different manufacturer. I thought falcon started making them for predator. This could lead someone to think there is a difference in the older ones.

shanesinnott
04-14-2006, 08:15 AM
Did they go to a different manufacturer. I thought falcon started making them for predator. This could lead someone to think there is a difference in the older ones.

Nope, Predator always made the shafts themselves. The 6 and 12 piece shafts that they first offered were made by Clawson Cues (Predator) in Clawson, Michigan. They then move to Jacksonville, Fl (where they are still based today) and started making 10 piece shafts and stopped offering the 6 and 12.

Falcon did make the butts but Predator would sent the shafts to them to be matched to the butts.

Hope this helps.

Flex
04-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Nope, Predator always made the shafts themselves. The 6 and 12 piece shafts that they first offered were made by Clawson Cues (Predator) in Clawson, Michigan. They then move to Jacksonville, Fl (where they are still based today) and started making 10 piece shafts and stopped offering the 6 and 12.

Falcon did make the butts but Predator would sent the shafts to them to be matched to the butts.

Hope this helps.

Why the switch to the 10 piece shafts? Are they cheaper to make?

Flex

shanesinnott
04-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Why the switch to the 10 piece shafts? Are they cheaper to make?

Flex

The 10 is more radially consistent than the 6 and the difference between 12 and 10 was too small to measure, so they settled on 10.

Flex
04-14-2006, 08:38 AM
The 10 is more radially consistent than the 6 and the difference between 12 and 10 was too small to measure, so they settled on 10.

Very interesting. So the 10 is better than the 6 in some regards? Is there a difference in the way they play?

Flex

shanesinnott
04-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Very interesting. So the 10 is better than the 6 in some regards? Is there a difference in the way they play?

Flex

Yes, the 10 is better in some regards. As far as play, the 10 should have more consistent performance than the 6 and also, a 10 piece 314 shaft with a 3/4 inch ferrule will produce less cue ball deflection than the original 10 piece (and 6 & 12 piece) shafts with a 1 inch ferrule.

Flex
04-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Yes, the 10 is better in some regards. As far as play, the 10 should have more consistent performance than the 6 and also, a 10 piece 314 shaft with a 3/4 inch ferrule will produce less cue ball deflection than the original 10 piece (and 6 & 12 piece) shafts with a 1 inch ferrule.

Aha... my 314 has a 7/8 inch ferrule... Hmmm.... What about cutting a ferrule shorter? Will that reduce squirt too?

Flex

shanesinnott
04-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Aha... my 314 has a 7/8 inch ferrule... Hmmm.... What about cutting a ferrule shorter? Will that reduce squirt too?

Flex

Cutting a Predator ferrule shorter is not suggested as it will most likely void the warranty, but, yes....the less ferrule, the less front end mass and less cueball deflection that will be produced.

Proceed at your own risk :)

Flex
04-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Cutting a Predator ferrule shorter is not suggested as it will most likely void the warranty, but, yes....the less ferrule, the less front end mass and less cueball deflection that will be produced.

Proceed at your own risk :)

Why not use ferrules that are only 1/2 an inch or less long? The ferrule does protect the shaft, so why not use very very short ferrules?

Flex

Mystick Cue Fan
04-15-2006, 12:47 AM
schuler has a pretty neat squirt shaft with a ring of a ferrule. I still wouldn't call it a ferrule. I honestly would call it a ring. They play pretty good though. If ferrule size is that important I don't think you can get any smaller than that without having a ferrule at all.

Tony

Flex
04-15-2006, 07:06 AM
And the purpose of the ferrule is to protect the shaft, if I understand it correctly, right? So as not to crack the shaft. Any other purposes?

Flex

NINEBALLART
04-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Do you know anything about the 314 2 that is coming out? Jennifer Barretta said she tried one and liked it but gave no details about it. Whats the difference? Does anyone know????

shanesinnott
04-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Why not use ferrules that are only 1/2 an inch or less long? The ferrule does protect the shaft, so why not use very very short ferrules?

Flex

Flex,

Very good question! When Predator first released the 314 shaft, they knew it would play better with a much smaller ferrule than standard, but it is very difficult to get players to buy into a new design/invention (like the 314 was at the time) especially if the ferrule was much shorter than normal.

IOW, it was easier for Predator to gain acceptance with a 1 inch standard ferrule on the 314 initially (which it did have) and then switch to a shorter ferrule (which they did) and then go to an even shorter ferrule (which they will be (314 2))

shanesinnott
04-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Do you know anything about the 314 2 that is coming out? Jennifer Barretta said she tried one and liked it but gave no details about it. Whats the difference? Does anyone know????

AFAIK, The offical launch will be later this year. Predator did have the 314 2 and the Z 2 at the Trade show in Houston for all to try and see.

When we are permitted, we will have specs and pics of the new technology along with pricing etc.

Flex
04-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Flex,

Very good question! When Predator first released the 314 shaft, they knew it would play better with a much smaller ferrule than standard, but it is very difficult to get players to buy into a new design/invention (like the 314 was at the time) especially if the ferrule was much shorter than normal.

IOW, it was easier for Predator to gain acceptance with a 1 inch standard ferrule on the 314 initially (which it did have) and then switch to a shorter ferrule (which they did) and then go to an even shorter ferrule (which they will be (314 2))

Thanks for the info, Shane.

Tell me something. I bought a 314 from an acquaintance some time ago, and am the experimenting type. Although the squirt produced by the 314 is minimal, I know it can be further reduced, and wonder if cutting the ferrule on my shaft so it's shorter, say to 3/8" long, or thereabouts, will reduce the squirt on hard, extreme english shots. If not, I won't mess with it. Just wondering.

Flex

shanesinnott
04-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the info, Shane.

Tell me something. I bought a 314 from an acquaintance some time ago, and am the experimenting type. Although the squirt produced by the 314 is minimal, I know it can be further reduced, and wonder if cutting the ferrule on my shaft so it's shorter, say to 3/8" long, or thereabouts, will reduce the squirt on hard, extreme english shots. If not, I won't mess with it. Just wondering.

Flex

See post #10 in this thread :)

Flex
04-18-2006, 09:58 AM
See post #10 in this thread :)

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that post.

Flex

Craig Fales
04-23-2006, 07:20 AM
I had one of the original Predator shafts that were made in '93 or '94 and it had 8 splices...it also split like bamboo....
________

shanesinnott
04-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I had one of the original Predator shafts that were made in '93 or '94 and it had 8 splices...it also split like bamboo....

Predator never made 8 piece (only 1,12,6 & 10)

If the splices seperated it would have most likely been covered under warranty.