PDA

View Full Version : cuemakers

Rick
05-10-2003, 04:00 AM
Hi I was wondering if some of the you guys who know alot about cues could list for me what you think are the best cuemakers around. Maybe you could give me your top 10 or top 5. I am currently shopping around to have a custom cue made I would appreciate any input.

Koop
05-10-2003, 09:04 AM
I think you will find that Dennis Searing is probably the best cue maker alive today but from what I have seen from Edwin Reyes in the Cue gallery he is right up there as well. I don't know if Jacoby would be in most peoples top ten but I will say that the one I have I absolutely love. The balance is incredible and it won't cost you a couple of months salary. I submitted it to the cue gallery as well if you would like to take a look. I actually traded my Schon for it and could not be happier.

Best of luck,
Dave

jjinfla
05-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Has Dennis Searing been playing lately? I haven't seen him play since the Florida Pro Tour folded. Jake

Ted Harris
05-11-2003, 02:30 PM
www.cuemakers.org

bruin70
05-11-2003, 03:26 PM
what's your price range, what do you want to get for that price, and are you concerned about resale value?

Rick
05-12-2003, 03:50 AM
I am having a cue made by Keith Josey and I wanted to see some of the cuemakers of choice to see if he made anyones list

William
05-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Dennis still plays. I hear is very busy with a new house.

bruin70
05-12-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Rick
I am having a cue made by Keith Josey and I wanted to see some of the cuemakers of choice to see if he made anyones list

i think there are some cuemakers who think highly of josey. i've never heard his name pop up on a "top list", and i've never hit with one,,,,never heard anyone mention him, and visually, i think his cue designs are a little "fru-fru" :):):). but they're distinctive.

ceebee
05-12-2003, 10:04 PM
John Parker of Auerbach Custom Cues makes a very nice Cue. He'll make you a masterpiece, even if it's a plain masterpiece. His cues also have a GREAT hit.

John Parker can be contacted at 918.610.8016 in Tulsa, OK on Central Daylight Time.

miko
05-13-2003, 02:59 AM
has anybody have any experience playing with a dayton cue?

Koop
05-13-2003, 05:36 AM
Forgot to mention Capone as well. His cues are beautiful and play extremely well. I don't know if anyone out there has played with one, but BCM makes a beautiful looking cue. Check out his work at
http://www.bcmcue.com/

Regards,
Dave

Billy Jungle
05-13-2003, 07:54 AM
try a dzuricky (ZA-RICKY) Check out dzcues.com. GREAT HIT, made to your custom design.Excellent craftsmanship

torment
05-13-2003, 01:35 PM
you gotta appreciate the craftsmanship of Josey cues but all those fancy inlays do nothing for the hit of the cue and just drive the price through the roof......personally, i like the way my Mark Bear custom cue hits.... www.bearcues.com .....its my third one and i think it has a good solid hit and comfortable balance point.....he will make fancier cues, but mine is relatively simple and thats all i need......plus its also convenient thats he under a half hour drive away from me too

classiccues
05-14-2003, 05:58 AM
Rick,
Its very hard to list the 10 best cuemakers. There are alot of variables involved, IMHO. Your criteria would be different than mine, I am sure. When I buy, either for myself or for the site, I weigh resale vs. name, playability etc.. we do give looks to many new cuemakers. But we appreciate a certain style of cue, more than others. So one design criteria we look at is tradition. We like older designs, points, slotted diamonds, etc. We are old fashioned. :) So my "hi" list would probably be:
Mottey, Skip Weston, Szamboti, Balabushka, South West, Black, and a few others, granted these are all hi end cues. Something a little more lo end would be Rick Howard, Tucker, Paul Fanelli, Don G, and some others. These are cues I have personal experience with, I am sure there are many others.

Joe

Joseph Cues
05-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Based on construction, Zylr makes the best built cue.
He doesn't use any weight bolts or metal studs. Every major component of his cues are threaded but not with taps or dies.
Fancy cues are another thing. He doesn't make them.
For a fancy cue that are built very well too, I would go with a Prewitt or Samsara.

Snapshot9
05-17-2003, 01:27 PM
Where do you live? That could affect who you might be interested in. I live in Wichita, Ks, and we have a fine cuemaker here, Shurtz Custom Cues. They have become real popular throughout the Midwest, and they are a sponser on the Midwest 9 ball tour. Bob Owen makes the cues, his son Gabe is quite a player.
About 90% of the players around here are playing with Shurtz cues. They hit great, excellent balance, good feel. The cues they have on their website aren't too fancy, but Bob can do fancy ones too, and I have seen them. He did one with silver points I liked real well. My cue, and 5 others were featured in American Cueist Magazine a year ago last January.
Mine is a Southwestern style $1100 20.2 oz. cue with a 'skinny' butt. He makes both regular and skinny butt cues.
Their website is http://www.shurtzq.com

We also have another fine cuemaker here that only makes a few cues anymore when requested. Randy Anderson, or Anderson Cues.

A friend of mine has several Jacoby's and they are a real nice cue with real good inlay work.

Ted Harris
05-17-2003, 04:42 PM
Joseph Cues wrote;
Based on construction, Zylr makes the best built cue. Based on construction, Zylr makes the best built cue. He doesn't use any weight bolts or metal studs. Every major component of his cues are threaded but not with taps or dies.
Do you think that Zylr is the only cuemaker that makes cues that way? You think there ain't cuemakers out there that did that 20 years ago?

Cletus
05-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Ted Harris
Joseph Cues wrote;

Do you think that Zylr is the only cuemaker that makes cues that way? You think there ain't cuemakers out there that did that 20 years ago?

Don't mind him Ted. This guy's just shilling for him it seems.

Bluewolf
05-19-2003, 04:07 AM
www.cuemakers.org

I know some people who have Ted Harris cues and are very happy with them.

Laura

Bluewolf
05-19-2003, 04:15 AM
OTOH, I think that there are lots of great cue makers. There are people like Ted who have a reputation, also there are others who are great but not as well known.

I think it is important to talk to the cuemaker and find out the specs. For instance, some have a standard balance. Blackheart's cues are more midbalanced. Scruggs told me when I asked him that his were more forward balance.

This was new for me. I thought that all cuemakers could do it anyway you want it. I think some can make it anyway, although you may pay for it while others have a standard cue with varying weight, tip diameter and fancy stuff like inlays.

Laura

jjinfla
05-19-2003, 07:55 AM
I personally am having an Ed Fernland butt built for my 314. A limited edition. Jake

Joseph Cues
05-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Joseph Cues wrote;

Makes me wonder why everyone now just tap the a hole in the forearm or handle and glue a metal stud there that tend to buzz later on.

classiccues
05-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Its not the stud that buzzes. Most times its the end graining from the handle face / forearm face. Which is why most some cues have a non-wood ring between the 2 cue parts.

Joe

Joseph Cues
05-19-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by classiccues
Its not the stud that buzzes. Most times its the end graining from the handle face / forearm face. Which is why most some cues have a non-wood ring between the 2 cue parts.

Joe
I have cues with rings in that area and still buzz.
I'm almost positive the stud causes it.

Ted Harris
05-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Joseph Cues
Makes me wonder why everyone now just tap the a hole in the forearm or handle and glue a metal stud there that tend to buzz later on.
It is not usually the connecting screw that buzzes. The problem lies with the gluing of the endgrains together, which has in the past been tougher than it seems. The adhesives that are used today are much stronger than of the past, and adhesive technology has advanced to a new level. Of course, any joinery work that is not built, assembled, and glued properly, will possibly fail. Seems to me that if Zyler glues the endgrains together, he would be subject to the same failure rate (+-) as anyone that uses a metal connecting screw.:D

Joseph Cues
05-19-2003, 03:05 PM
It is not usually the connecting screw that buzzes. The problem lies with the gluing of the endgrains together, which has in the past been tougher than it seems. The adhesives that are used today are much stronger than of the past, and adhesive technology has advanced to a new level. Of course, any joinery work that is not built, assembled, and glued properly, will possibly fail. Seems to me that if Zyler glues the endgrains together, he would be subject to the same failure rate (+-) as anyone that uses a metal connecting screw.:D
I have come across several of his cues. None buzz. One I just bought was subjected to abuse in a hot desert California area for 3 years. The cue is dead straight has perfect reasonance.
If I named all the cues that I have that buzz, it'd pee off the ACA.:D
It's not tough to join the forearm and the handle the right way. But, the easy and quick way is very prevalent in cuemaking imo.
A good number of cuemakers buy built parts from Prather then glue them and stamp their name on it.

Ted Harris
05-19-2003, 03:51 PM
IIf I named all the cues that I have that buzz, it'd pee off the ACA.:D
It's not tough to join the forearm and the handle the right way. But, the easy and quick way is very prevalent in cuemaking imo.
A good number of cuemakers buy built parts from Prather then glue them and stamp their name on it.
As a member of the ACA, my understanding is that buzzing cues are not what pee's off the ACA, it may however be the customers buzzing. LOL. The "right way" of joining the front and handle is subjective. One of the rules of application for admittance into the ACA is that you cannot become a member by buying prefab fronts or "kits" and assembling them. In fact, the standards have now risen to the point where you have to do spliced points, and inlays within inlays. Not to mention that all the other stuff that goes with it has to be very good work.

classiccues
05-20-2003, 09:41 AM
I have cues with rings in that area and still buzz.
I'm almost positive the stud causes it.

Do you have any idea what ring I am talking about? I think Ted's just about covered all I think needs to be said here.

Joe

KingCarom
05-20-2003, 04:29 PM
ClassicCues-

What you are referring to is commonly known as a buzz ring.
It deadens all vibration originating anywhere upcue of the grip, usually installed at the head of the grip butted up against the forearm. Usually made of Micarta or a similar material. Cue makers like Balabushka, Szamboti and Jensen use(d) this almost exclusively.

The only cue I play with are Bludworth's, which have no vibration that needs deadening, but I have hit some other makers cues that could use a ring.

Joseph Cues
05-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Do you have any idea what ring I am talking about? I think Ted's just about covered all I think needs to be said here.

Joe
Yes. The ring between the handle and the forearm.
Like this one
http://www.omencues.com/o-bb-f.jpg
I sold this cue. It had that buzz on it.
Placing a ring between the forearm and the handle kills a good amount reasonance.
Arnot refuses to put a ring in this area because it's a high stress area. He uses fiberglass stud, it that matters.
Here's a sample of his work.
http://arnotq.com/assets/cues/2003_cues/starter-cues/rosewood-starter-supreme-forearm-p.jpg
Of course, cuemakers make cues their own way. To each his own I guess.

classiccues
05-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Yes. The ring between the handle and the forearm.
Like this one
I sold this cue. It had that buzz on it.
Placing a ring between the forearm and the handle kills a good amount reasonance.
Arnot refuses to put a ring in this area because it's a high stress area. He uses fiberglass stud, it that matters.
Here's a sample of his work.
Of course, cuemakers make cues their own way. To each his own I guess.

No thats not the ring. Kingcarem knows what ring I am talking about. Since you don't know the ring I am talking about, I won't go into a long explanation. But its to prevent wood/wood engraining. Some guys use it and some don't. Personally I do not believe it affects the hit all that much. The type of tip you use has more influence on hit than this ring. Now if you sold a cue with a "buzz" in it, I hope you told the guy, or at least gave Pete Ohmen a shot at correcting it.

Joseph Cues
05-21-2003, 12:04 PM
No thats not the ring. Kingcarem knows what ring I am talking about. Since you don't know the ring I am talking about, I won't go into a long explanation. But its to prevent wood/wood engraining. Some guys use it and some don't. Personally I do not believe it affects the hit all that much. The type of tip you use has more influence on hit than this ring. Now if you sold a cue with a "buzz" in it, I hope you told the guy, or at least gave Pete Ohmen a shot at correcting it. \
I will check my friend's x-rays of those cues tonite.
I believe the rings are around the bolt itself inside.
But, I'll find out for sure.

KingCarom
05-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Most buzz rings I have seen are not visible on the outside of the cue.
They have been installed at the head of the wrap, underneath the linen so the player would never know it was there.