PDA

View Full Version : Ultraskin Layered Soft

Espartaco_7
04-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Received 10 tips from Tom Hay today. Installed one S on one of my Z2s and started testing it.

The tip is really weird, when youīre chalking it sounds like an old milk dud or a kamui medium, but itīs amazing how this tip plays.

It really grabs the ball like it should, the feedback you get from this tip is amazing, I donīt know if itīs just me but I feel like I can control the CB a lot better with it. Iīve only played with it for 2 hours, but the tip brought my Z2 to life. Itīs weird... the hit feels more consistent.... maybe itīs just me.

I Hope the tip to keep playing 85% like itīs playing today. So far, for me, in my humble opinion this tip feels superior to the "others" more expensive tips.

I canīt wait to put one on my Classic Pro. Am I the only one that have this feeling about this tip? Please let me know your experience with it.

cuesblues
04-09-2013, 07:39 PM
I've had the same experience with UltraSkin soft and medium.
We tried all three on cues that already played pretty good.
The hard was pretty hard but I could still play with it, the soft & medium played great, and my favorite was the medium.
We have installed several UltrSkins here in Denver since my first batch from Tom.
It's tough to change those Kamui Black soft guys, but others are happy with UltraSkins.

Nice post

Ted

Black Cat 5791
04-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Received 10 tips from Tom Hay today. Installed one S on one of my Z2s and started testing it.

The tip is really weird, when youīre chalking it sounds like an old milk dud or a kamui medium, but itīs amazing how this tip plays.

It really grabs the ball like it should, the feedback you get from this tip is amazing, I donīt know if itīs just me but I feel like I can control the CB a lot better with it. Iīve only played with it for 2 hours, but the tip brought my Z2 to life. Itīs weird... the hit feels more consistent.... maybe itīs just me.

I Hope the tip to keep playing 85% like itīs playing today. So far, for me, in my humble opinion this tip feels superior to the "others" more expensive tips.

I canīt wait to put one on my Classic Pro. Am I the only one that have this feeling about this tip? Please let me know your experience with it.

Nope your not alone on this one, I can't say enough good about them.

Black Cat :thumbup:

Espartaco_7
04-09-2013, 07:45 PM
It's tough to change those Kamui Black soft guys, but others are happy with UltraSkins.

Nice post

Ted

I WAS a Kamui guy, not going back my friend...

Kamui plays great for 3 days, after that.... they glaze every 5 shots, itīs a headache to keep them on tune, and also they tend become really hard.

tank69
04-09-2013, 09:51 PM

Ditto! I love 'em!

Blue Hog ridr
04-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Nope, you're not the only one.
Apparently Kamui is feeling the heat as well.

asbani
04-09-2013, 11:30 PM
who makes those tips? where to get one

cuesblues
04-09-2013, 11:42 PM

TomHay here on AZ or http://www.layeredcuetips.com/

Blue Hog ridr
04-10-2013, 01:24 AM
TomHay is his AZ username. Can always catch him in the Machinery Forum.

I sort of promised Tom that I wouldn't post the email that he got from Kamui but what the heck.

Dear Tom.

Please stop making the Ultra Skin pool cue tips and selling them cheaper than Kamui tips.

Do not make Black tips. We own black tips.

In future, please do not put pretty little plastic discs on bottom of Ultra Skin
pool cue tips. We own little plastic discs.

If you agree to stop making your tips, we will send you many pieces of Kamui chalk.

It is pleasure to be your friend.
Kamui Tips.

scsuxci
04-10-2013, 03:54 AM

I sort of promised Tom that I wouldn't post the email that he got from Kamui but what the heck.

Dear Tom.

Please stop making the Ultra Skin pool cue tips and selling them cheaper than Kamui tips.

In future, please do not put pretty little plastic discs on bottom of Ultra Skin

If you agree to stop making your tips, we will send you many pieces of Kamui chalk.

Kamui Tips.
Thanks for writing this!Always nice to start the day with a laugh:)

Charlie Edwards
04-10-2013, 05:24 AM
Yesterday I put a M Ultraskin on one of my cues and want to say how impressed I was. Hits like a true medium. This is a GREAT tip!

Palmetto cue
04-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Tom makes a great tip at agreat price, and is alway a pleasure to deal with. He's good people! :grin:

Fatboy
04-10-2013, 06:18 AM

Dear Tom.

Kamui Tips.

LOL thats triple funny.

I aint heard a bad word about them, I have a friend who put one on his Szam and after a month it was still looking good, didnt glaze over, mushroom, etc. It was like the day he installed it he told me, I liked how it released the ball and bit the ball. I'm not a layered tip guy at all, however i'm going to try them out sometime. The fact that everyone seems to like them says something, as people always seem to complain about tip problems(I know i do), I use the tip i ***** and moan about the least. Its a strong testament that nobody from what i seen has had a problem. Tom is on a winning horse here. And they aint a million $$'s either.

Manoman2444
04-10-2013, 06:28 AM
I really like them also. Have several on different cues, haven't had a problem with any of them. Holds chalk well, doesn't lose its' shape, grips cue ball really well.

Espartaco_7
04-10-2013, 06:53 AM
I donīt know where Tom gets this stuff, but Iīd buy them even if they were same price as the other layered tips. (But please Tom keep them at this price)

Still wondering when will you release a better chalk for 1/10th of the price. :D

devorator
04-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Tom is the nicest guy I dealt around here. No one should feel offended of my statement, just that first time I ordered 15 tips form Tom he was nice enough to send the tips before paying. And that was not all, he said I can try 1-2 on my cues and if I am happy with them than I should send the money. "If not just send the rest of them back or keep'em" he said.
What a nice TIP!! What a nice MAN!
ALWAYS ULTRASKIN MEDIUM FOR ME!!.

briankenobi
04-10-2013, 09:08 AM
I love the ultraskin tips. I shot with a soft tip but might get a medium on my extra shaft. I have had no issues with my tip and I play a lot. They also hold up well with the extreme english shots as well. I have a few of those shots in my trick shot show and have made them every time. Plus, Tom is one of the nicest people here. You don't interact with a sales rep or secratary. You interact with him. I hope everyone at least tries on of his tips. They are great and you are not paying a lot for a fancy name. (cough cough kamui cough cough)

Blue Hog ridr
04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Tom mentioned to me that I had no idea of how close I was to the truth
in posting that gag.

Tom is a triple smart businessman, besides being a decent person, and I can only speculate on what he has planned for the future of Ultra Skin tips. I don't ask and Tom doesn't say. None of my biz anyway. What makes me happy and is just as important as making money on installs, I now have a tip that I can 100% rely on and my customers are 100% satisfied. When you have happy customers, you have return customers.

At this point, league season is over up here, so can anticipate a slow down
for the spring and summer.

I am now installing pretty much Ultra Skin tips exclusively (Other than a few die hard Moori and Everest users which is to be expected.) and absolutely no complaints. People are telling others and people are coming up on league night and asking for the same tip that so and so just had installed.

That is a great sign of what is yet to come I believe.

Great deals on the regular Skins but I would also recommend Tom's Oinker tips as well.

Vahmurka
04-15-2013, 09:23 AM
great to see UltraSkins are winning popularity. Very nice tips!

Espartaco_7
04-18-2013, 03:09 PM
After 1 1/2 week, still impressed with the quality of these tips.

Although they glaze almost as kamuis do, they hold chalk better and hit is 90% as the first day. The tips are a steal for itīs price.

Will keep buying!

Quesports
04-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Well after some testing of Ultra Skin medium tips and liking them a whole lot. I made the leap into the unknown and tried one of his hard tips. I have never used a hard tip to play pool with and now I am wondering why. I was at Chris's and most folks were playing 3 cushion when I hit my first shot heads turned at the sound it made. My Kikel has ivory ferrules with a fibre pad and the sound was a solid, clean high pitched pinging sound. After about 30 minutes one of the better players came over to ask me what I was using, he loved the Kikel so I said hit some balls with it. After a couple minutes he asked what kind of tip I had on it and then asked me if I had any more of them. I am giving him one the next time I see him. I have experienced no miscues and as its a hard tip it holds its shape perfectly and forget mushrooming that's never happening with this tip. Lastly it seems to be slightly more accurate, I am unsure if it actually is or not but suspect that because it's being a hard tip it may be. So to all those that are willing I suggest trying his hard tip as well you may be surprised! Thanks to Tom for producing an affordable, top quality layered tip Made In The USA!!

CanonShooter
04-18-2013, 05:15 PM
I concur, Ive tried them all... Ultra is The best custom tip there is! And Tom is the best in the Business! And it's Made in The USA folks!

Zerius
04-18-2013, 05:28 PM
I concur, Ive tried them all... Ultra is The best custom tip there is! And Tom is the best in the Business! And it's Made in The USA folks!

Not sure about the last one, but it doesn't matter where it comes from.

mortuarymike-nv
04-18-2013, 05:39 PM
I like them... and they dont break the bank.

Thanks tom,
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h454/mortuarymike/ultraskin007.jpg (http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/mortuarymike/media/ultraskin007.jpg.html)
MMike

bigshooter
04-18-2013, 06:43 PM

Look deep into my signature. :grin:

I ordered 75 of them yesterday - we are promoting them at our tournament April 27th. Tom is indeed a class act.

Tommy-D
04-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Since the original post was about the Soft,I'm going to post my personal experience with it.

Up until I actually put one on my own cue,I was led to believe by various posters here that the S from Tom was supposed to be roughly the same as the Kamui Super Soft.

Also,I was led to believe that Tom's tips were generally a little softer than what they were labeled across the board. I related this info to my customers as well,that they were a little softer than labeled.

For example,the M was about like the Kamui S,the H was close to the Kamui M,and then Tom came out with the HH. I haven't installed one of those yet.

I installed a S on my newest shaft,and was VERY impresssed.

However,it was NOT what I call "soft".

To me,a soft tip is something close to a repressed Elk Master or tall,unpressed Le Pro. Anything softer than that is unusable for me.

The S from Tom is neither. As far as feel,it reminds me a LOT of the old Moori,either the bottom half of an M or the H when left at full height.

That is fine by me,so please don't think I have anything negative to say about the man OR his tips,because that is simply untrue.

His tips are a DAMN fine product,and a hell of a man to boot. I hope these tips keep going for years.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

The one I put on has about 30 hours of play on it,it hasn't mushroomed ANY and I've even broke with it,it spins the CRAP out of the ball too,and still has 4 full layers worth of sidewall before the dome starts. Tommy D.

mortuarymike-nv
04-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Tom is the nicest guy I dealt around here. No one should feel offended of my statement, just that first time I ordered 15 tips form Tom he was nice enough to send the tips before paying. And that was not all, he said I can try 1-2 on my cues and if I am happy with them than I should send the money. "If not just send the rest of them back or keep'em" he said.
What a nice TIP!! What a nice MAN!
ALWAYS ULTRASKIN MEDIUM FOR ME!!.

Tom had a cue making video for sale .
I have no idea what happened but the next thing I know tom sends the video for free, and a few tips.

His tips play great and the price is fantastic.

I have bought more tips from him and because he is a great guy I took a few pictures of his tips, and every chance I get I support toms ultraskin tips
so I post up some of the pictures.

Thanks tom

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h454/mortuarymike/IMG_0055_zpsd7ccfdb8.jpg (http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/mortuarymike/media/IMG_0055_zpsd7ccfdb8.jpg.html)

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h454/mortuarymike/ultraskin019.jpg (http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/mortuarymike/media/ultraskin019.jpg.html)

MMike

Sloppy Pockets
04-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Still wondering when will you release a better chalk for 1/10th of the price. :D

Word on the street is that he already has. "UltraStick" chalk is already in the beta testing stage, with several top pros secretly hiding a piece in their pocket. UltraStick goes on smooth as silk, sticks to the tip and the tip sticks to the ball, allowing you to get way out on the ball with no danger of miscues.

UltraStick is even shaped like a stick. Tom said, "Heck, if it feels like lipstick going on, might as well shape it like lipstick". Mike Dechaine loves the novel shape, saying, "Well, I think this will teach everybody the proper way to chalk".

Vahmurka
04-26-2013, 08:23 AM
I took a few pictures of his tips, and every chance I get I support toms ultraskin tips
so I post up some of the pictures.
great pics! I like that one with them reflecting