PDA

View Full Version : smoked at 1 pocket

supergreenman
05-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Boy did I get smoked last night. I wandered into the pool hall close to my place last night to see if they were going to have thier weekly 9-ball tournament.(they weren't the Oilers were playing, I guess to some people hockey is more important than pool). Anyways, playing on one of the tables at the back was this old guy named Jim. I've matched up with him before mostly playing 8-ball and a bit of 9-ball and he usually wins. He used to be a road player back in the day and still manages to be a top contender at most of the local tournaments.

Anyways I walk up to the table and notice he's practising his 1 pocket so I ask him if he'd like to teach a young guy a cheap lesson...

I have to admit I son't have a whole lot of experience with 1 pocket as there isn't to many people around here that know how to play but I got my team into playing it last year because it's great practice.

Out of 6 games I think I sank 10 balls. :rolleyes: and my 1 (right front) pocket was a lot lighter.:D

Money well spent I say, damn I had a good time.

smittie1984
05-08-2006, 11:36 AM
I got drilled by a player one time at "The Pool Room". He came over and talked with me because I was playing 14.1. According to him (Which I believe) he placed 7th in a 14.1 World Championship back in the early 80s. I played him in Straight Pool (This being my first straight pool game with someone besides me) and he beat me 100+ to 4. Then we had a quick (Very quick) game of 1pocket. I lost -3 to 8. I played for free since I do not gamble. But I learned a lot from this guy in just 2 games.

1pocket players seem to be a different breed of players. They seem to be a little more elegant than your average 9ball player. I guess because in 14.1 and 1pocket it takes patience. And you can't really blame your opponent lucking out either.

Gerry
05-08-2006, 11:48 AM
1 pocket, like no other game, will show the speed separation of players. Once you learn a few of the very basic 1 pocket moves, you can spot a good player more easily. 1 pocket also is the easiest game to HIDE your speed, because you can play at a very high level never making very difficult shots. That makes it one hell of a game!:D

Gerry

Gregg
05-08-2006, 12:01 PM
1 pocket, like no other game, will show the speed separation of players. Once you learn a few of the very basic 1 pocket moves, you can spot a good player more easily. 1 pocket also is the easiest game to HIDE your speed, because you can play at a very high level never making very difficult shots. That makes it one hell of a game!:D

Gerry

Exactly was going to be my point. If I play a very strong player, I may, MAY win at eight ball. No big deal. I might win a game of 9 ball. Again, no big deal.

But me against a strong shooter at one pocket or straight? No way, not a chance; These two game are a true test of skill, and that's what most real shooters are looking for, IMO.

zeeder
05-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Exactly was going to be my point. If I play a very strong player, I may, MAY win at eight ball. No big deal. I might win a game of 9 ball. Again, no big deal.

But me against a strong shooter at one pocket or straight? No way, not a chance; These two game are a true test of skill, and that's what most real shooters are looking for, IMO.

There is a chance. You can make a ball on the break and run 8-n-out...lol. I think I've done it once before. The only problem is that, for me at least, the ball on the break is pure luck.

supergreenman
05-08-2006, 12:38 PM
One thing I really learned fast was that my safety play was nowhere near as good as I thought it was.

ScottW
05-08-2006, 12:40 PM
I've only started playing one-pocket recently. I've got a pal who's been teaching me some things. It's a whoooole different game - it takes a completely different mental process to play it, and also, you really have to be a good bank shot shooter.

I think I've won maybe one or two games off this guy out of about twenty so far, and I suspect those were due to a) a bit of luck and/or b) this guy not playing as strongly as he can.

I'm really starting to think that becoming good in one-pocket will mean becoming better in 8/9 ball. The skills can really trickle down.