PDA

View Full Version : Smoothness

Andrew Manning
05-08-2006, 12:05 PM
"Smoothness" is the one aspect of what I consider to be good pool fundamentals that I've never really put any work into, and I think it's time I started working on it. By smoothness, I mean constant acceleration/deceleration during my backswing and forward stroke, i.e. the opposite of jerkiness.

Does anyone know any good practice techniques to help achieve a smooth stroke? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Andrew

zeeder
05-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Line up three or so balls about 6-8" off the end rail and shoot them one handed into the corner pocket. Concentrate on long slow practice strokes with a natural pause and even acceleration on the final stroke. You should follow through naturally about 6" or so.

Andrew Manning
05-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Line up three or so balls about 6-8" off the end rail and shoot them one handed into the corner pocket. Concentrate on long slow practice strokes with a natural pause and even acceleration on the final stroke. You should follow through naturally about 6" or so.

Wow, that sounds like a really good idea, and this thread has only been up for a few minutes! I like the idea of practicing smoothness one-handed, since without a bridge hand, it seems to me that jerking the stroke would probably cause the cue to go off line and miscue the ball or miss the pocket.

-Andrew

lewdo26
05-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Wow, that sounds like a really good idea, and this thread has only been up for a few minutes! I like the idea of practicing smoothness one-handed, since without a bridge hand, it seems to me that jerking the stroke would probably cause the cue to go off line and miscue the ball or miss the pocket.

-AndrewYes, Andrew. I've been doing the one-handed exercise almost every practice session lately, and it has the added benefit of allowing your body to find its natural alignment.

Another one I'd suggest is setting up and easy straight in shot into a corner pocket (not long), and following the cueball in with your eyes closed. Now, the goal of this exercise is not what the balls are doing, necessarily. What the balls are doing are a COSEQUENCE of a smooth stroke. So, all you really need to concentrate on with your eyes closed is the stroke itself. I'd also suggest EXAGERATING your follow through and time staying down, as well as slowing down your backstroke. Open your eyes only when you hear both balls drop.

Egg McDogit
05-08-2006, 12:28 PM
"Smoothness" is the one aspect of what I consider to be good pool fundamentals that I've never really put any work into, and I think it's time I started working on it. By smoothness, I mean constant acceleration/deceleration during my backswing and forward stroke, i.e. the opposite of jerkiness.

Does anyone know any good practice techniques to help achieve a smooth stroke? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Andrew

slow down backswing and follow through naturally

metal5d
05-08-2006, 12:40 PM
I would also try to get a consistent shot routine. Determine how many practice strokes you are comfortable with 3, 4, 5, or whatever and train yourself to take the same number of strokes everytime. This will take away any hesitation of not knowing on what stroke you are going to shoot.

Colin Colenso
05-08-2006, 01:57 PM
I think the body kind of mirrors the mind.

Think smoothly, unrushed, calm, confidently...walk the same way...take your stance and cue the same way.

Watch Fred Couples in action and try to get into his head.

Oh, and do this while hitting a few thousand shots and you'll be much smoother.

Colin <- Tends to overthink...can look like a robot going through 50 programs before a jab like execution:p

scottycoyote
05-09-2006, 08:57 AM
yeah you have to think smooth. I often find myself rushing my game, and what i do to work on this is i try to kind of glide down into my stance..maybe even say the word smooooooooooothhhhhhh to myself as i glide down into my stance. Ive found the key to a smooth stroke is very slow, slightly exaggerated backswings. If you watch some of the women shooters play, they have super smooth strokes, watch their practice strokes, like allison.....very very slow.