PDA

View Full Version : Double Veneer

Kevin Lindstrom
05-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Can anyone provide closeup pictures of any make of cues with a double veneer of the same color. I want to see how noticeable or not noticeable a glue line might between two veneers of the same color. You can post pictures here or better yet email them to me at kevinlindstrom@msn.com
Thanks in advance for your help.

zeeder
05-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Can anyone provide closeup pictures of any make of cues with a double veneer of the same color. I want to see how noticeable or not noticeable a glue line might between two veneers of the same color. You can post pictures here or better yet email them to me at kevinlindstrom@msn.com
Thanks in advance for your help.

If you go with recuts there won't be any glueline! I've just gotten the ball rolling on a cue that's going to have a double width recut and, even though the maker I'm having build it does very high quality veneers, I decided to go with recuts to take gluelines out of the equation. That being said, all of my cues are either recuts or hardwood veneers because I hate gluelines...lol.

DawgAndy
05-09-2006, 02:06 PM
I believe many Szamboti's have a double black veneer on the outside of the point. Some else can say for sure. There's plenty of pics on the web.

Andy

mjantti
05-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Here goes, two pics of my Scruggs with double brown mahongany veneers.

http://users.tkk.fi/~mjantti/scruggs/TS_12.jpg
http://users.tkk.fi/~mjantti/scruggs/TS_13.jpg

Quite large images, ~650kB each, didn't bother downsizing them, for your viewing pleasure only :)

Kevin Lindstrom
06-03-2006, 05:49 PM
anyone have anything else to add for my viewing pleasure

gnaroz
06-05-2006, 07:52 AM
I believe many Szamboti's have a double black veneer on the outside of the point. Some else can say for sure. There's plenty of pics on the web.

Andy

That's how a good friends is. It makes the points really pop.

sliprock
06-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Veneer can be bought in different thickness'. What one person might call a double veneer might actually only be a thick single veneer.

Kevin Lindstrom
06-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Veneer can be bought in different thickness'. What one person might call a double veneer might actually only be a thick single veneer.
I do know that there are at least 2 different size thickness to veneers made by the company Wood River Veneer. I think that the current trend for cuemakers is towards the thinner of these 2 thicknesses. Although alot of the newer cues with this thin veneer look nice I just prefer the thicker veneers as I feel as though they stand out better in the cue visually. I would still like to see pictures of cues with the thicker veneers or better yet 2 veneers side by side of the same color.

cueaddicts
06-05-2006, 09:42 AM
The thinner veneers are such that it is pretty easy to do a cue now with 6 or even 7 veneers. I know of a few guys doing even more than that using some different materials as 'veneers'. Personally, I like the look of the thicker ones better...traditonalist.

Sean

ridewiththewind
06-05-2006, 10:23 AM
If you go with recuts there won't be any glueline! I've just gotten the ball rolling on a cue that's going to have a double width recut and, even though the maker I'm having build it does very high quality veneers, I decided to go with recuts to take gluelines out of the equation. That being said, all of my cues are either recuts or hardwood veneers because I hate gluelines...lol.

Here is an example of what Zack is eluding to. I have an even larger close-up of this pic, if you are interested, I can email to you...it's very large and closeup! Lol. Not a glueline anywhere! The maple 'veneer' is actually the same size as the rosewood 'veneer'...optical illusion. I went double-thick with the pink ivory to 'pop' the forearm of the cue...and it worked!

Lisa

ridewiththewind
06-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Kevin...

I finally found a pic of a forearm with more 'tradtional' veneers, that may show you what you are looking for. It was the example I sent to Skip when I was trying to explain the useage of both sizes I wanted for my forearm.

Lisa