PDA

View Full Version : CueTable Updates 05.2006

cuetable
05-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Dear Pool Players:

In the past weeks, we are fortunate to exchange ideas with eager teachers, players, programmers and designers. With everyone's kind inputs we are able to create several powerful tools in depicting layouts and studying shots, as well as a step by step tutorial for you.

At the end, we have even decided to hide all the toys away- only to keep them organized at convinient places for you to use. Please carefully work though our new HowTo section to learn about them.

new features 05.2006:
Toolbox Switch
New Graphics for All Balls and Buttons
Interactive Pop-Up Help
Mouse Click Feedback
Organized HotKeys and Special Mouse Clicks
HotKeys for Drawing / Editing Lines
Ghost Balls / Curve Line / Tangent Symbol
Angle / Distance Calculation

new tutorial page:
http://cuetable.com/howto.html

example: Mika's push out:
(use <page up><page down> to navigate)

http://CueTable.com/P/?#1ANDC1BVxf3CJyb1DIjk2ENcI2FQhc1HYId4ICas1PBWL1kB WL1kNLDZzb3qWvX&ZZ2rRPVIn_2nd_Big_Apple_Tournament,_Mika_Immonen_a gainst_Mr._Lee_of_UK._Mika_broke_and_1_ball_is__bl ocke_by_4_ball_as_indicated.&ZZ#1ANDC1BVxf3CJyb1DIjk2ENcI2FQhc1HYId4ICas1PDKn1k BWL1kDKnZza3qWvXHe_called_a_push_out_and_move_the_ ball_towards_the_4._Mr._Lee_looked_and_passed_it_b ack_to_him._&ZZ#1ANDC1BVxf3CJyb1DIjk2ENcI2FQhc1HYId4ICas1PDKn1T DKn3prXk1UNDC1UdWvZ1kDKn1kGXCZ1kLOp1kKrj1kRGyZzc3q WvXMika_jacked_up_and_made_a__masse_shot,_got_perf ect_shape_for_the_2_and_ran_out_from_there._&ZZ1uAIX#

there will be more exciting things coming by the end of this month. I will hold the secrets for now.

Thanks
Wei

CueTable.com

Solartje
05-10-2006, 04:18 PM
hi wei

first, thx for the updates and work u put in it. im sure everyone here really is thankfull to you.

now i had already posted this hoping u would read it, but aparently not.
the thing im missing is the option to have different tables. (pool, snooker, 3cussion, etc.. maybe even 6- 7 - 8 -9 ft etc? and the aproprioate balls. to me this would be the biggest thing i miss.

thx for your time

Snapshot9
05-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Wei ... Although your selections are interesting, I believe that trying to maintain simplicity of application will add to its use and popularity. The 3D
is a snazzy thought, but, I feel, unnecessary. (Everyone is not quite so component based as Fred and Colin)
The video playback of all the screens would be nice.

When people see a live shot, they tend to break it down (like screens) to analyze it (before, stroking before hit, hit, results, ob reaction, cue ball reaction), so they should have no trouble relating to your manner of laying out shots on Cuetable (Although, as I stated, the video playback of all
screens would be nice to see 'the whole thing').

The various tables as Solly suggested would be nice, and I am sure would make Cuetable more poplular, drawing in Europe's snooker people and many
3C enthusiasts. Don't forget the 'Golf' players on a Snooker table, so have
a pill bottle, and chalk for the red ball on the 5 spot.... lol I can see many diagrams being done about Golf. The size of the table, to me, doesn't matter. The concepts are the same for any size table, so one rendition
of a table is all that is needed.

The JPEG (JPG, JPG2000) export is needed, I feel, and I would like to see
a simple 'print' function that can print 1 screen per page or multiple screen on a page. (or else a 'save' function)

I also think you should add 14.1 rack to the table. Although not played very much, more advanced players would show more interest, I believe, towards it, and its play.

It wouldn't hurt, I think, to see if the IPT would like to be a sponsor for Cuetable (thereby, supporting the fan base of IPT fans).

Your work is greatly appreciated, and I find it highly interesting.

MacGyver
05-11-2006, 12:08 AM
a couple thoughts, but 14.1 rack? just rack 8 ball and move the head ball.. dont see what else would be different.... just do the 8 ball rack...

I think between pages and a new feature that is in the works(its really good), showing an entire game should be no problem at all, better in fact than animation imho.

I think that optimizing it and clarifying/streamlining the interface is immeasurably more important than 3d or animation or any spiffy features....

rackmsuckr
05-11-2006, 01:42 AM
I cannot use the table ever since the new one came out. It asks to install Shockwave, v. 10. You push the install button, it looks like it is installing from the little messages at the bottom of the window, and then the graphics placeholder turns into the dreaded red X.

I miss the old version so I don't have to go through this. Is it the Avant browser? I have also tried with IE too with the same results. This is the only program that won't work on my new laptop.

Until I can get basic functionality, I don't even want to consider enhancements. :(

Double-Dave
05-11-2006, 02:23 AM
It works fine here. The thing that hit me first was the visibility, which imo wasn't that good. Maybe if you made the table a little deeper/stronger green that would help with the contrast.

gr. Dave

cuetable
05-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Dear All:

We are currently working on the JPEG export function.

We do want to make different tables for different games; we even have most of the graphics ready. However, as Linda as pointed out, our focus now is to make sure things are stabilized.

So far we haven't got a problem installing shockwave and running the table on different test machines. We understand it will not necessarily be the same for everyone. It's a good idea to install shockwave manually via the links provided in the Technical section of our site. If you run into any problems, please kindly report it to us or post it in the forum. Be sure to include details so we can solve it at timely matter.

(ie: Computer Type, Operating System, Browser Type, URL Used, URL Originated)

Thanks again for using the table and have a great weekend!

Cheers
Wei

calcuttaman
05-12-2006, 01:12 PM
(ie: Computer Type, Operating System, Browser Type, URL Used, URL Originated)

Tryed Mika's shot. Its just gobbles up cpu usage. I have a brand new dell with a intel 820 dual core 2.8 800 fsb, winxp using both opera 8.54 and IE 6.0. It never does display correctly in Opera (the old wei table always did). In IE it did work but just like opera I have a 50% cpu usage.

cuetable
05-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Dear calcuttaman, thank you very much for pointing out the issues. I have just tested the link for Mika shot above. On a slower 2-3 year old dell p4, with 3 different browers:

On IE ver 6.0.2800.1106: It prompts for installing new shockwave player first. After installed I did some tests. The URL linking (dynamic table layout generation) will not work. Copy and paste the data works (the old weitable way). The page break symbol "#" has just turned into an illegal character recently (It used to work) Please try using FireFox or Netscape for now while I am looking into ways of fixing this.

On both Netscape 7.1 and FireFox 1.5, it loads lot quickly, runs well and shows the layout correctly.

On Netscape 4.7, it runs just a little slower.

I will update CueTable Tech page accordingly.

!!
For everyone else here, could you help to verify whether CueTable runs on your computer or not? (Use the mike's push out to test, press page up and page down on your keyboard to view the story)

machine used: ( )
browser: __Explorer __FireFox __Netscape __Others: ( )
Loading Time: ___ seconds
Performance: __Responsive __Unresponsive with lags

(Please make sure you have only one table running at a time for this test.)

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Wei

Test Example:
Mika's Push Out (http://CueTable.com/P/?#1ANDC1BVxf3CJyb1DIjk2ENcI2FQhc1HYId4ICas1PBWL1kB WL1kNLDZzb3qWvX&ZZ2rRPVIn_2nd_Big_Apple_Tournament,_Mika_Immonen_a gainst_Mr._Lee_of_UK._Mika_broke_and_1_ball_is__bl ocke_by_4_ball_as_indicated.&ZZ#1ANDC1BVxf3CJyb1DIjk2ENcI2FQhc1HYId4ICas1PDKn1k BWL1kDKnZza3qWvXHe_called_a_push_out_and_move_the_ ball_towards_the_4._Mr._Lee_looked_and_passed_it_b ack_to_him._&ZZ#1ANDC1BVxf3CJyb1DIjk2ENcI2FQhc1HYId4ICas1PDKn1T DKn3prXk1UNDC1UdWvZ1kDKn1kGXCZ1kLOp1kKrj1kRGyZzc3q WvXMika_jacked_up_and_made_a__masse_shot,_got_perf ect_shape_for_the_2_and_ran_out_from_there._&ZZ1uAIX#)

Solartje
05-12-2006, 06:19 PM
looking forward to the new tables.

europe and solly thanks you wei :D thx scott for resaying it :D

calcuttaman
05-13-2006, 04:57 AM
On both Netscape 7.1 and FireFox 1.5, it loads lot quickly, runs well and shows the layout correctly.

On Netscape 4.7, it runs just a little slower.

Is this on the older machines? My new machine is very, very fast and its just killing the cpu's, 50+%!

Did some further testing with IE & Opera. In IE it acually displayed both shots (the push & masse) and the cue ball shape after the masse. When that didn't show in Opera I assumed it didn't work in Opera. Retested in Opera and it does work correctly. If I use the mouse to click on the page down it goes to the next frame.

In Opera it loads very quickly (2-3 sec) and response is very quick after a page down. Again, it just kills the cpu.

MacGyver
05-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Runs for me using firefox and latest shockwave(windows machine) though i do get the 100% CPU usage, it says firefox is the culprit.(it stops when cuetable stops)

Infinate loop somewhere?

rackmsuckr
05-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Can't I just use the old wei table for diagramming? I cannot find it.

I have tried using the direct links on the site to download for the standalone installer. No help files address what I am experiencing.

I have a Toshiba Qosmio laptop with a Pentium 1.8G processor using Windows XP Media Center, IE 6xxxx or Avant browsers, 100G HD (with another 250 external HD), and 512MB RAM.

juanbond
05-13-2006, 03:57 PM
I would love to see CueTable released on some form of alternative platform. I understand the Shockwave makes the most sense at the moment, but sometimes I find myself on a machine that I cannot install Shockwave on (no admin privileges). It would be really cool if there was some standalone version for download or use on the web (Java applet?). Anyways, just my $0.02, keep up the great work!

cuetable
05-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Dear All:
I have posted this under another thread regarding cpu performance and also IE 6.0 test issues:

Thanks for the feedbacks. After a few more hours of scratching head, I finally found something interseting from Adobe and Microsoft:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...cfm?id=tn_8151

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q157044/

I hope this is a relief for everyone. From what I can see in the past few days, the table is not hogging up the system resource or slowing down things. Today's update just made it run even betterespecially when I compared it to the current table used on the website.

Let's go back and continue with what you would like to see on CueTable.

Big thanks to everyone, your suggestion and comments are all valid and appreciated.

Cheers
Wei

cuetable
05-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Dear Linda:
Let me walk you through the installation, let's see...

Can you load WeiTable in Internet Explorer right now?

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/

http://cuetable.com/WeiTable/

If not, can you tell me what you see?

You can either post here or send me an email via info@cuetable.com.
Thanks
Wei