PDA

View Full Version : advice needed on buying a cue(schon or falcon)

Freebird
05-10-2006, 03:14 PM
I have been looking to get a better cue lately, and have narrowed it down to falcon and schon. I have found a falcon m05-2 and a schon stl 3 at the same price. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to which one is a better cue as far as quality and playability. Thanks

DJKeys
05-10-2006, 03:29 PM
I have had a number of production cues and also an STL-7. In my opinion, Schon is the best hitting production cue. Their workmanship is not for everyone, but they hit well.

NineBallNut
05-10-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm sure most on here will say go with the schon. I don't necessarily disagree with that statement. They are great hitting cues, probably the best production cue out there. I have two higher end falcons.. lol... I like the hit of those cues as well as the hit of the Schons I have tried.

My question to you is this. Have you been able to hit with either brand?
Only you will know if you will like the feel of any cue. I get costumers all the time that start out wanting a certain brand, for whatever reason, but leave with something totally different. Why? I believe in never letting anyone by a cue from me without hitting with it first.. Not too many cues in the same line will hit the same.

JMO.....
Rob

AZE
05-11-2006, 12:21 AM
I personally like Falcons hit, more (altho I really like the Schon, too). That's probably because I played with a Falcon for a longer time (before moving on). This isn't a question with a factual answer, it really is up to you, what you feel is better (IMO).

Freebird
05-11-2006, 12:33 AM
thanks for the replies. they're really appreciated. I know that this question has no real answer, but i'm just looking for advice as to what people on here think. If anyone else has an opinion, feel free to share it

JoeyInCali
05-11-2006, 12:39 AM
I have been looking to get a better cue lately, and have narrowed it down to falcon and schon. I have found a falcon m05-2 and a schon stl 3 at the same price. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to which one is a better cue as far as quality and playability. Thanks
Get a custom cue made to your specs for a few dollars more.

cardiac kid
05-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Hi Freebird,

How much are you going to invest in this playing cue? I've had two Schon's for fifteen years. They both hit great. Ones for playing, ones for breaking. If I place the "playing" shaft on the break butt, I notice no difference. The break cue retailed for $650 w/ 2 shafts. The play stick retailed for $1700 w/ 2. Can you stand to see another player with the same cue? If you can, save a lot of money and buy a basic model. If you can't, the skys the limit.

In all deference to joeyincali, before you buy anything, play with a variety of cues. Metal joints, phenolic joints, big pins, small pins, wood to wood, metal to metal. They all hit differently. You may find your stroke won't work with one or more combinations. Metal to metal is the most popular. There is NO perfect cue that will work for everyone. Are you going to the BCA's? If you are, walk around to the various vendors. All of them will allow you to hit balls. If not, find a dealer that will work with you.

Lyn

Snapshot9
05-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Hi Freebird,

How much are you going to invest in this playing cue? I've had two Schon's for fifteen years. They both hit great. Ones for playing, ones for breaking. If I place the "playing" shaft on the break butt, I notice no difference. The break cue retailed for $650 w/ 2 shafts. The play stick retailed for $1700 w/ 2. Can you stand to see another player with the same cue? If you can, save a lot of money and buy a basic model. If you can't, the skys the limit.

In all deference to joeyincali, before you buy anything, play with a variety of cues. Metal joints, phenolic joints, big pins, small pins, wood to wood, metal to metal. They all hit differently. You may find your stroke won't work with one or more combinations. Metal to metal is the most popular. There is NO perfect cue that will work for everyone. Are you going to the BCA's? If you are, walk around to the various vendors. All of them will allow you to hit balls. If not, find a dealer that will work with you.

Lyn

given above. Out of the 2 cues designated (I went and looked at them), the Schon would be my choice, BUT for $500, I would go to a custom cue maker FIRST. Bob Owen's (Shurtz Custom Cues) has a base custom model for $275, so $500 would get you a pretty good cue. It depends on how you prioritize things about a cue. For me, it is hit, balance, looks. I would take a little plainer cue for the money if the hit and balance were what I wanted, but I do consider the overall look of the cue too. Are you spending $500 because that is all you have RIGHT NOW, or because that is all you WANT TO SPEND. A cue is an investment, not necessarily for resale, but also an investment in your game. If you play for money, having the right cue is absolutely necessary, because sacrificing on quality of the cue could lose you more money than the cue is worth.

All I am saying, if you can not get everything you want out of a $500 cue
(after looking around some), then save another 3-400 or so, and get it right. Besides, if you have one built by a cuemaker, you will generally have 4-6 months more to save money (cuemakers usually require 1/2 down, and
1/2 on delivery).

PlynSets
05-11-2006, 10:59 AM
given above. Out of the 2 cues designated (I went and looked at them), the Schon would be my choice, BUT for $500, I would go to a custom cue maker FIRST. Bob Owen's (Shurtz Custom Cues) has a base custom model for $275, so $500 would get you a pretty good cue. It depends on how you prioritize things about a cue. For me, it is hit, balance, looks. I would take a little plainer cue for the money if the hit and balance were what I wanted, but I do consider the overall look of the cue too. Are you spending $500 because that is all you have RIGHT NOW, or because that is all you WANT TO SPEND. A cue is an investment, not necessarily for resale, but also an investment in your game. If you play for money, having the right cue is absolutely necessary, because sacrificing on quality of the cue could lose you more money than the cue is worth.

All I am saying, if you can not get everything you want out of a $500 cue
(after looking around some), then save another 3-400 or so, and get it right. Besides, if you have one built by a cuemaker, you will generally have 4-6 months more to save money (cuemakers usually require 1/2 down, and
1/2 on delivery).

I don't mean to disagree, but going to a "custom" cuemaker can be (and in my experience most of the time is...) a nightmare. Pick up the Falcon, hit some balls.. Pick up the Schon and hit some balls, pick which one you like and buy it. I'd buy a "custom" if I could hit some balls with it first.. Which kinda takes the point out of the "custom" aspect of it.. LOL

When I was young I had a Schon that I loved.. Was talked into trading it in by a cuemaker. I spent 2 years building custom cues with this guy trying to find one that hit as good as my old Schon. Ended up spending a shitload of $$$ on a very personalized custom cue that I literally gave away becuase while it looked like I wanted, it didn't play like I wanted. 100 cues later, here I am playing with a Schon again.. LOL

I'm going to get some custom cues made again in the future don't get me wrong, but more sneaky's and things of that nature. I don't "collect" cues I play with them, and often times you can pay the $$$ for someone to build something "custom" for you that plays like dirt.. But it's "custom" for you so your stuck with it.

DJ

Schwinn
05-11-2006, 11:13 AM

Can't comment on falcons, but I have a STL-3 and it has been a great playing cue. If you get one, think about changing the tip right away. The stock one is too hard in my opinion. I prefer a tip that holds chalk well.

The downside to schons is that they are a tad expensive. I may have gotten a phillippi sneaky for about the same price had I known about them at the time, but still I have no regrets and have no intention of ever selling my stl-3. I was thinking about getting a black leather wrap put on it somewhere down the line - that would be cool!

axejunkie
05-11-2006, 11:22 AM
I've owned and played with both and preferred the Schon. It had a more solid hit for me and was stiffer. Felt it gave me better cue ball control. The Schon was slightly more front-balanced and had a smaller butt than the Falcon. The tips are like rocks though, gotta keep them chalked and pick at them a bunch.

Falcon makes a good production cue but I would recommend a Schon if those are your two choices.

xxgatorzxx
05-11-2006, 12:03 PM
My very first cue was a Falcon, which I still own. I also had a Schon but ended up getting rid of it after a while, felt uncomfortable shooting with a cue that was worth more than my car, lol. I now shoot soley with a custom made cue from a local guy that i got for cheap, hits better than any cue I've ever had. Got another one just like it for my wife, she used to use a McDermott but loves the custom now too.

I guess all I can suggest is, this is your first cue, you will get many more before it ends if you are like most of the people on these forums.

ATH
05-11-2006, 12:12 PM
I own a couple of Falcons, and I have to say they are great. For the money you get very much cue, the build is good and the overall feel is very good. They shoot firm and quite stiff, and I think for someone who maybe has not played for very long it is one of the best cues around.
And I have to say, just because a cue is custom doesn’t make it any good.

wannaplaySOME?
05-11-2006, 12:17 PM

IMO, you are comparing apples to oranges here, they are not even in the same league of cues... you would never compare a players cue to a meucci, or a viking to a scruggs... go with the schon.