PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to spoil anyone's action

poolbiz420
05-10-2006, 10:28 PM
I don't want to spoil any ones action just looking for some info. on a road player. They came into town last night and they were back again tonight. They say they are from Florida the players name they say is Jesse O (didn't catch the whole last name) He's an older hispanic gentleman and his backer is a middle age caucasion man? His name they are saying is Craig? If anyone has any info that would be great
Thanks

TheCueHunter
05-10-2006, 11:18 PM
was he the guy who played shannon one pocket last friday at michaels

AZE
05-11-2006, 12:07 AM
Not a fan of these threads. I would hope that nobody would want to blow anybodys spot up (i.e; posting info on a player, such as his speed).
All I can tell you is what you know (because I'm not a fan of players playing under false alias' to scam) - Jesse is a middle aged, slim, hispanic man, and he runs with a middle aged, heavy set, backer (tmk).

poolbiz420
05-11-2006, 05:19 AM
Like i said i'm not trying to ruin any action i wouldn't say anything to anyone it's just neat for me to watch how slick these guys are. Road players really do there homework they know who to play who to stay away from, what spots to give, what games to play. I wouldn't ruin it just for my own entertainment at the pool room late night :D Plus i like watching good players play!!!

uwate
05-11-2006, 06:03 AM
Hey AZE...damn there sure are alot of South Florida folks on here.

Can someone tell us some details about who Jesse has been playing up in Ohio? How did him and Shannon do? Its surely not knocking his action anymore to say that Jesse plays JAMUP. Just getting into the box with Daulton in one pocket speaks volumes.

Ktown D
05-11-2006, 06:14 AM
They were in Knoxville about a week ago. Thay actually dropped a little before they decided to leave.

BTW, which Shannon? Daulton or Murphy?

poolbiz420
05-11-2006, 07:53 AM
I over heard the backer talking about them playing Shannon Murphy, but he said it was a 10 ahead race. Two nights ago he played one of our young guns here in town Danny Smith they spit sets 2 and 2. Last night they played again jesse wins 2 sets. When i left he was playing another player from town some one pocket and Branndon was up one game when i left.

Eric.
05-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Jesse with a salt & pepper moustache, right? Word is, he plays good.

There always seems to be two parties; one side says let's get the word around so if so-n-so shows up, we can get a fair game, while the other party says don't ask, don't tell.

Personally, I think it's OK to say so-n-so plays "good". How good? Well, that's where you might have to pay to find out. :p

Eric >doesn't play good

Gregg
05-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Jesse with a salt & pepper moustache, right? Word is, he plays good.

There always seems to be two parties; one side says let's get the word around so if so-n-so shows up, we can get a fair game, while the other party says don't ask, don't tell.

Personally, I think it's OK to say so-n-so plays "good". How good? Well, that's where you might have to pay to find out. :p

Eric >doesn't play good

I guess that's a fair way to look at things. These days, I don't think anybody should be able to get suckered, but I guess it happens, no.

wahcheck
05-11-2006, 10:39 AM
This thread reminds me of something which happened with me years ago....I was at my local home pool hall, and a pro-level player walked in, looking for action...I knew him from seeing him at Reno Open tournaments, but some in the pool hall did not.....Anyway, one of the gamblers in the place asked me if I knew him, and I said I did, and told what I knew of him.....Well, the guy who was trying to sneak into some action found out I told about him; and came over to me and chastised me for "spoiling his action". I said, "Hey, these people here are friends of mine, and I don't want to see them hustled, especially if they ask me about you, I'll tell them what I know."

The way I see it, the way road players and other money players like to operate, it's about "hustling"...which means deceiving people into a money game where they have little or no chance of winning....Is that really "gambling" or a con game? What do you all think out there? Seems to me if people want to match up and gamble, the negotiations are supposed to be about giving weight to establish a level playing field or as close to a 50/50 proposition as possible....Of course, most people want it to be more like 60/40 or better.....Hustling might put it more in the category of 99/1....So it's not really about a fair gamble...it's more like taking advantage of a "sucker"...

Purdman
05-11-2006, 11:02 AM
You are absolutely correct in your assumption. Some people will lie, cheat and steal for some cash. They get a great deal of pleasure stealing your money. Screw em, they will never get a dime out of me and some of them know it. It just drives them batty. I am nobody's chump. I guarantee you I have given more money away than most of them have ever won!
Purdman
My best day, I made $62 grand in 8 hours.

CaptainHook
05-11-2006, 11:12 AM
http://onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=904&highlight=jessie

TheCueHunter
05-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Not a fan of these threads. I would hope that nobody would want to blow anybodys spot up (i.e; posting info on a player, such as his speed).
All I can tell you is what you know (because I'm not a fan of players playing under false alias' to scam) - Jesse is a middle aged, slim, hispanic man, and he runs with a middle aged, heavy set, backer (tmk).
i agree with waycheck
listen aze nobody cares what you think i am a gambler myself and a 100 bal runner and not one time in my life have i lied to rob somebody we are simply asking a question about who he is now are we supposed to swear to silence the 50 people who wathced him play shannon and tell them " hey dont tell anybody that " jesse" played shannon " If you think that is ruining action you are officially a tool and know nothing about pool

breakup
05-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Like i said i'm not trying to ruin any action i wouldn't say anything to anyone it's just neat for me to watch how slick these guys are. Road players really do there homework they know who to play who to stay away from, what spots to give, what games to play. I wouldn't ruin it just for my own entertainment at the pool room late night :D Plus i like watching good players play!!!

don't forget these guys will be long gone soon but you still have to live there.

zeeder
05-11-2006, 01:45 PM
This thread reminds me of the quote, "If you'd have kicked ass in any other place but Chalkies the road would be dead for us. Those guys never leave the street"...lol.

supergreenman
05-11-2006, 02:01 PM
This thread reminds me of the quote, "If you'd have kicked ass in any other place but Chalkies the road would be dead for us. Those guys never leave the street"...lol.

Now it's more like "If you'd have kicked ass in any other place but Chalkies the road would be dead for us. Those guys never use computers"

Rickw
05-11-2006, 02:01 PM
I met a guy in Sacramento who was practicing by himself. I asked him if he wanted to play some 1h. He said sure! He asked me if I wanted to gamble and I said I really didn't want to gamble and if he had any action waiting, I would gladly bow out. He then said "Well, alright then, let's just play some."

He took me to school and I watched and listened and have benefited from everything he taught me. After playing for a couple of hours, I asked him if he was hungry. I took him to a great little Chinese restaurant that stays open late and bought him dinner. We were there for a couple of hours and he told me countless stories! This was one of the best evenings of pool I've ever had.

Anyway, this guy lived in Baton Rouge and was a consumate gentleman. His name was Jessie and fits the description of the player in this thread. If it is him, get him to talk because he's one of the best story-tellers around. You will be mesmerised by his stories. If it's not him, sorry. Now that I know him, I'd gladly throw him a hundred or two just for the opportunity to play him agian and listen to some more stories!

Deadon
05-11-2006, 02:34 PM
This thread reminds me of something which happened with me years ago....I was at my local home pool hall, and a pro-level player walked in, looking for action...I knew him from seeing him at Reno Open tournaments, but some in the pool hall did not.....Anyway, one of the gamblers in the place asked me if I knew him, and I said I did, and told what I knew of him.....Well, the guy who was trying to sneak into some action found out I told about him; and came over to me and chastised me for "spoiling his action". I said, "Hey, these people here are friends of mine, and I don't want to see them hustled, especially if they ask me about you, I'll tell them what I know."

The way I see it, the way road players and other money players like to operate, it's about "hustling"...which means deceiving people into a money game where they have little or no chance of winning....Is that really "gambling" or a con game? What do you all think out there? Seems to me if people want to match up and gamble, the negotiations are supposed to be about giving weight to establish a level playing field or as close to a 50/50 proposition as possible....Of course, most people want it to be more like 60/40 or better.....Hustling might put it more in the category of 99/1....So it's not really about a fair gamble...it's more like taking advantage of a "sucker"...

I find this interesting. Having been around it for a couple of generations, it doesn't suprise me. "Pool room detectives" have brought many a good matchup to a complete halt because of their subjective belief in how good other people play. If it stopped with "he plays good" as advertised, it wouldn't be so bad. But it usually keeps on going, "you need the 7" "you can't win" etc. The result is even the players in you own town can't find a game where they might, don't have to, win because the local "pool detectives", aka bangers, have killed the action by opening their mouth.

Any simpleton, that plays for cash, knows that a new face asking for a money game is likely a "good player", nothing else need be said. Let them make their own game, and you may be surprised by the results. But if you want to hang in your own room and handicap every game then enjoy. And BTW, a few years back, if you did such a thing to the wrong person, you might find yourself in quite a quibble. Lesser players are not suckers, they are just not as good, and better players are not hustlers, they are just better. The lesser player may well improve his game and learn something by playing. It might turn out to be the new Reyes, and the "sucker", as you would call him, would be able to tell everyone that he played him. Almost every pro player has had this happen to them. Ask Grady what he thinks about it. Thats why there is so little action in some places now. Everyone wants to be smarter than the other guy, so they rush up and kill any possibility of action.

Sorry guys, I think everyone should mind their own business. Too many people try to make a distinction between playing and hustling, there really isn't one. Just different speeds of players, someone is going to win. Even if they are a heavy favorite, doesn't make it wrong. It seems most people on the forum want to be players, yet distance themselves from the term "hustle". Haven't you ever played a match that you knew you should win? I just don't see a problem with it.

I would like a dime for everytime, in my own town, where I was well known at one time, that I would get a game and then some jerk, aka coat-tail puller, would run up and tell the other player he couldn't win. Which wasn't necessarily the case. People don't just say "he plays good" thats total BS. They handicap the game based on their subjective impression of the game. The obvious next question is "how good" or "do you think I can beat him". Frequently pool dectectives don't really know enough to rate players speed, they just want to show how smart they are.

Try it on a golf course, since we are older now, and someone will wrap a putter around your neck for doing such a thing. The guy told you right, its not up to you to decide anything about the transaction between him and another player. All your post indicates is someone who wants a game needs to come up with some weight, an amount that satisfies you, or you will decide its "hustling or a con", and kill his action.

I think you should apply to local law enforcement to see if you can get an offical "Pool Detective" badge. That way when anyone comes to town you can be there to be sure there are proper and fair negotiations to obtain a fair match, in your opinion, or there will be no game.

Deadon
05-11-2006, 02:43 PM
I met a guy in Sacramento who was practicing by himself. I asked him if he wanted to play some 1h. He said sure! He asked me if I wanted to gamble and I said I really didn't want to gamble and if he had any action waiting, I would gladly bow out. He then said "Well, alright then, let's just play some."

He took me to school and I watched and listened and have benefited from everything he taught me. After playing for a couple of hours, I asked him if he was hungry. I took him to a great little Chinese restaurant that stays open late and bought him dinner. We were there for a couple of hours and he told me countless stories! This was one of the best evenings of pool I've ever had.

Anyway, this guy lived in Baton Rouge and was a consumate gentleman. His name was Jessie and fits the description of the player in this thread. If it is him, get him to talk because he's one of the best story-tellers around. You will be mesmerised by his stories. If it's not him, sorry. Now that I know him, I'd gladly throw him a hundred or two just for the opportunity to play him agian and listen to some more stories!

That may have been Jessie Padilla. He has family in Sacramento and is there frequently. At one time played very good everything. Last I heard he had been living in LA. He was a great talker and a friend.

dogginda9
05-11-2006, 03:06 PM

I'm with you on this one. If a FRIEND of mine asks, I'm gonna tell him what I know. If it isn't a FRIEND, not my business. Hence, the definition of FRIEND.

wahcheck
05-11-2006, 03:12 PM
I find this interesting. Having been around it for a couple of generations, it doesn't suprise me. "Pool room detectives" have brought many a good matchup to a complete halt because of their subjective belief in how good other people play. If it stopped with "he plays good" as advertised, it wouldn't be so bad. But it usually keeps on going, "you need the 7" "you can't win" etc. The result is even the players in you own town can't find a game where they might, don't have to, win because the local "pool detectives", aka bangers, have killed the action by opening their mouth.

Any simpleton, that plays for cash, knows that a new face asking for a money game is likely a "good player", nothing else need be said. Let them make their own game, and you may be surprised by the results. But if you want to hang in your own room and handicap every game then enjoy. And BTW, a few years back, if you did such a thing to the wrong person, you might find yourself in quite a quibble. Lesser players are not suckers, they are just not as good, and better players are not hustlers, they are just better. The lesser player may well improve his game and learn something by playing. It might turn out to be the new Reyes, and the "sucker", as you would call him, would be able to tell everyone that he played him. Almost every pro player has had this happen to them. Ask Grady what he thinks about it. Thats why there is so little action in some places now. Everyone wants to be smarter than the other guy, so they rush up and kill any possibility of action.

Sorry guys, I think everyone should mind their own business. Too many people try to make a distinction between playing and hustling, there really isn't one. Just different speeds of players, someone is going to win. Even if they are a heavy favorite, doesn't make it wrong. It seems most people on the forum want to be players, yet distance themselves from the term "hustle". Haven't you ever played a match that you knew you should win? I just don't see a problem with it.

I would like a dime for everytime, in my own town, where I was well known at one time, that I would get a game and then some jerk, aka coat-tail puller, would run up and tell the other player he couldn't win. Which wasn't necessarily the case. People don't just say "he plays good" thats total BS. They handicap the game based on their subjective impression of the game. The obvious next question is "how good" or "do you think I can beat him". Frequently pool dectectives don't really know enough to rate players speed, they just want to show how smart they are.

Try it on a golf course, since we are older now, and someone will wrap a putter around your neck for doing such a thing. The guy told you right, its not up to you to decide anything about the transaction between him and another player. All your post indicates is someone who wants a game needs to come up with some weight, an amount that satisfies you, or you will decide its "hustling or a con", and kill his action.

I think you should apply to local law enforcement to see if you can get an offical "Pool Detective" badge. That way when anyone comes to town you can be there to be sure there are proper and fair negotiations to obtain a fair match, in your opinion, or there will be no game.

As I said, I was ASKED by someone I considered a friend...I wasn't nosing into anybody's business.....you're barking up the wrong tree.....

Deadon
05-11-2006, 03:25 PM
"Hey, these people here are friends of mine, and I don't want to see them hustled, especially if they ask me about you, I'll tell them what I know."

Yes I read that, but I was reflecting on your statements in total and your request for what others think. My opinion is just that and I am sure there are many on the forums that will disagree. That is just a reflection of what I was referring to in my post. BTW, did they play? And I know many players in the Reno Open that couldn't beat Olive Oil, so based on what did you rate his playing ability and what else did you say? Thats the point.

Deadon
05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
And actually this is what you said...

"Anyway, one of the gamblers in the place asked me if I knew him, and I said I did, and told what I knew of him....."

Rickw
05-11-2006, 04:13 PM
That may have been Jessie Padilla. He has family in Sacramento and is there frequently. At one time played very good everything. Last I heard he had been living in LA. He was a great talker and a friend.

Yes, that's who I'm talking about. Nice man and a very good player. I wonder if the gentleman referred to in this thread is him?

Big Dave
05-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Surely these forums are discrete enough to mention a few names... It's not national TV, and everyone loves to know about stuff like this really, we want to know know what it's like to be Eddie Felson!

If only we were brave enough to have a go at it ourselves eh?

wahcheck
05-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Yes I read that, but I was reflecting on your statements in total and your request for what others think. My opinion is just that and I am sure there are many on the forums that will disagree. That is just a reflection of what I was referring to in my post. BTW, did they play? And I know many players in the Reno Open that couldn't beat Olive Oil, so based on what did you rate his playing ability and what else did you say? Thats the point.

You are so right about my lack of credentials or qualifications to be a pool detective.....maybe the guy couldn't beat Olive Oil after all......I am so embarrassed by your calling me out that I won't ever do it again.....HUSTLE ON.....

GADawg
05-11-2006, 09:11 PM
And I know many players in the Reno Open that couldn't beat Olive Oil, so based on what did you rate his playing ability and what else did you say? Thats the point.

Is this the same Olive Oyle I heard about? I know a guy who has a friend whose cousin saw Olive Oyle play one time and he said she was good.

poolbiz420
05-11-2006, 10:49 PM
don't forget these guys will be long gone soon but you still have to live there.

Can you kind of explain this to me a little more i'm kind of puzzled?

The reason i started this thread was just to get some background on the guy he played well, was a stand up guy and just wanted to know if anybody knew him.

rackem
05-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Can you kind of explain this to me a little more i'm kind of puzzled?

The reason i started this thread was just to get some background on the guy he played well, was a stand up guy and just wanted to know if anybody knew him.

Seems as though your thread has been hustled, or should i say hyjacked

Deadon
05-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Yes, that's who I'm talking about. Nice man and a very good player. I wonder if the gentleman referred to in this thread is him?

I don't think so. It isn't likely he is on the road playing. I think he is working in Louisanna (sp) somewhere.

Deadon
05-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Is this the same Olive Oyle I heard about? I know a guy who has a friend whose cousin saw Olive Oyle play one time and he said she was good.

Naw, this O.O. is slick, but can't play a lick!

PlynSets
05-12-2006, 09:27 AM

If this was a room of "pool players" and this post was a speech.. I think there'd be alot of pool cues tapping the floor right about now..

Kinda reminds me of the speech in Scent of a Woman where by which, sometimes saying nothing speaks VOLUMES in character. AKA "Atleast he's not a snitch." ;)

Incidentally that's the best post I've read on AZBilliards since I've been on here.

DJ

Harvywallbanger
05-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Playing someone for cash that is under your level is NOT hustling. Playing off someone that is under your level to keep them playing or to not scare anyone else off is. If your a Hustler and you get exposed by someone that is just the nature of the beast and you would be pretty stupid to think otherwise. Nothing wrong with this thread in my oppinion. The guy just wanted to know how a guy plays. If that spoils his action then so be it. He's in the wrong business if he wants to keep his speed a secret forever.:)

TheCueHunter
05-12-2006, 10:15 AM
i agree i was just asking if that was the same guy who played shannon murphy last friday i did not say how he played i was watching it and was just wondering if we were talking about the same guy
then all the pool sherriffs and people who think they know about things started chimming in
i still wonder if its the same guy

Harvywallbanger
05-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Coincidently how is Shannon Murphy playing now? I heard he is playing real strong. I remember playing him when he was 15 and 16. A few times I took him back to my house to play on the big table. His uncle is a trip. He would always just watch but if Shannon would start loosing he would pull the plug on him and try to get me to play him. He was pretty animated. He would grimmace every shot Shannon missed or let out a sigh. Shannon would get me usually though.:(

Chesscat
05-12-2006, 06:50 PM
I know Jessie. He called me tonight *****ing about this thread! He is a good player, but not great. He is a stand-up pool player, in the sense that he loves and respects the game. He doesn't engage in the kind of aggressive barking that lots of guys do.

AZE
05-13-2006, 03:01 AM
I was just reading threw the threads. I seen someone (i forgot who you are by now) comment to me saying "no body cares" - obviously you do ;)

I'm NOT saying that the person who started this thread was trying to knock any action. I don't know you, I don't know your objectives.
I'm just saying that threads like this lead to all kinds of information being leaked, and action being ruined for a player.

I have a respect for pool players, REAL pool players. This isn't a very well-paying sport, reguardless of how many years and tears you put into it. The best way alot of people who fell in love with (or shall I say 'victim' to) this game is to play for money, gamble (on the road or at home). Once the action gets knocked, then what?
The "hustlers" aren't (typically) putting a gun to your head and making you play. Don't bet more than you can handle, and guage how he plays yourself.

Again, I'm not attacking the person who started this thread, I'm just saying, it most likely leads to a man(or woman) who put so much time into learning, and getting good at, a game losing out.

P.S. STOP SNITCHING!
P.P.S What's up Dave?

Harvywallbanger
05-13-2006, 09:45 AM
I was just reading threw the threads. I seen someone (i forgot who you are by now) comment to me saying "no body cares" - obviously you do ;)

I'm NOT saying that the person who started this thread was trying to knock any action. I don't know you, I don't know your objectives.
I'm just saying that threads like this lead to all kinds of information being leaked, and action being ruined for a player.

I have a respect for pool players, REAL pool players. This isn't a very well-paying sport, reguardless of how many years and tears you put into it. The best way alot of people who fell in love with (or shall I say 'victim' to) this game is to play for money, gamble (on the road or at home). Once the action gets knocked, then what?
The "hustlers" aren't (typically) putting a gun to your head and making you play. Don't bet more than you can handle, and guage how he plays yourself.

Again, I'm not attacking the person who started this thread, I'm just saying, it most likely leads to a man(or woman) who put so much time into learning, and getting good at, a game losing out.

P.S. STOP SNITCHING!
P.P.S What's up Dave?

I respect your views on the situation I just don't agree. I for one don't care too much for people that have to find a victim and play them off to get paid. Its a two way road you know. If a hustler gets his true speed revealed and can't get anymore action from the local stars I don't see what they are doing(snitching you call it) is even remotely close to as bad as what the hustler is doing. He's there to rob people and he gets caught...big deal. You can't accpect to rob someone and then cry when you get caught.

Anyways if I was in a pool hall and I new the guys speed was above what he was playing I wouldn't run to the other guy and tell him. You could call that snitching but thats not what this dude is doing. He's just simply asking how a player plays. No big deal.

I don't know. Thats just my opinion.

degenrat
05-13-2006, 10:16 AM
accpect=expect

Harvywallbanger
05-13-2006, 10:24 AM
accpect=expect

:eek: I have been spelling that wrong for a while now. Thanks alot.:) Another one I have had difficulty with is accept. That one is right is it not?

Rickw
05-13-2006, 10:42 AM
:eek: I have been spelling that wrong for a while now. Thanks alot.:) Another one I have had difficulty with is accept. That one is right is it not?

Accept is to agree to receive something. Example, I accepted the $100 my girlfriend offered me.
Except is excluding something. Example, I took all the marbles except the blue one.

Rickw
05-13-2006, 10:47 AM
If I'm in my home ph and someone comes in that no one else knows and is looking for action, I think it is wrong to approach others unsolicited and tell them what this player's speed is. However, I don't see anything wrong with responding to a question about the player if someone you know approaches you. Also, if one of my friends is in danger of being hustled, I would say something to that friend on the QT.

If this is wrong, please chime in. This seems to me to be the right thing to do.

degenrat
05-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Rick i believe yours is the right aproach. You wouldn' tbe a friend if you didn' ttell a friend when danger looms.

As far as the rest, insecure chumps want to be "in the know". these railbirds aren't good enough or brave enough to play well and for real money so they run around telling everyone in the room what they think they know.

Most of these chumps couldn't tell a good from a great player with a gun to their head. they are parrots. repeating stories, and spewing knowledge they have gleaned from others.

If asked i would answer, wuith a disclaimer. and unless it was a friend i would never volunteer the information. frankly i like to see good action games and great play. why try and kill that?

AZE
05-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Again, I may be being misunderstood.

If a player I know of comes in, and gets a stealing game with a friend of mine, I'm going to side with my friend, and tell him what's going on. That's obvious. But I don't think it's fair to the guy that someone else, who isn't a friend of mine, doesn't even know me, ahead of time tells me that this guy 'plays like this'. It'd be great if I could just log on AZ and find out how any one plays, but it isn't fair.

Jesse is a gentleman, at least on the pool table. I have a respect for him.. his game, and his character. It really makes no difference to me if he makes money or goes for broke - I don't care about him. But my respect for him, and LOTS of other road players, makes me feel this way.

And another thing. My views on the whole "hustlers are evil people who just rob you" - I don't nessicarily feel that way. They are out there to make money, and find the easiest game to win, true. But you don't have to play anybody you don't want - and you don't have to play for more than you can afford to lose. If you get into a game, and you lose all of your money - that's YOUR fault. I don't care if you thought you had a chance to win and you didn't, you shouldn't have gambled more then you could take care of. Especially with somebody you don't know.

blah blah blah... I'm tired, and I've typed to much, I may have left in the middle of a thought but I can't remember. I don't care.. what's going on?

Harvywallbanger
05-13-2006, 01:01 PM
I see both sides of the debate actually. The best thing to do is just keep your mouth shut unless it is a friend. I don't think hustlers are evil but I also don't think they have a right to get upset if someone spills the beans is all I'm saying. I don't know. I haven't really been around that kind of atmosphere all that much to be honest so I probably shouldn't be in this discussion. It was just my opinion and I'm not dead set on my opinion either...I guess. But we have to realize the internet could give action as much as it takes it away. Right?

AZE
05-14-2006, 02:32 AM
^ You're right. Can't argue there. And now that you mention it..

Jesse plays REAL bad, and I play extremely horribly (T.A.P 1 and a half). :)

Deadon
05-14-2006, 04:55 AM
I see both sides of the debate actually. The best thing to do is just keep your mouth shut unless it is a friend. I don't think hustlers are evil but I also don't think they have a right to get upset if someone spills the beans is all I'm saying. I don't know. I haven't really been around that kind of atmosphere all that much to be honest so I probably shouldn't be in this discussion. It was just my opinion and I'm not dead set on my opinion either...I guess. But we have to realize the internet could give action as much as it takes it away. Right?

I understand, but some people call everyone they meet or know, a friend. Frankly, I have only a two or three, and only one plays pool. If he is playing, I am usually in on it. Everyone else in not a friend, for purposes this kind of discussion. Makes it easy.

degenrat
05-14-2006, 05:05 AM
i think the term hustler gets overused and misunderstood.

As far as i am concerned a great roadplayer/backer team are better odds makers than the so called "fish".

Rickw
05-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Grady, Jay and Freddy talked before about Denny Searcy and said that he'd go into a town and always want to match up with the best player there. He obviously wasn't hiding his game and just wanted to play the best. That is the kind of player that I really respect and admire. You can tell by the way the other players talk about him that they revered him.

You wouldn't have to worry about knocking Denny's game would you? Too bad he's still not around. I would have loved to sweat his action.

gforces1911
05-14-2006, 09:43 AM
My best day, I made $62 grand in 8 hours.

Were you sore the next day? Just kidding.

bizboy313
05-14-2006, 10:40 AM
When road players come in, I like to see them match up with people I don't like in the room haha. Personally, I believe that there is a certain risk you take when you match up with someone you don't know and that you might be getting hustled but that is the way it is. That's why it is called gambling. A road player is not there to rob people, he is there to get into the local gambling where he thinks he has an edge. A road player is not stealing the money with a gun or forcing people to play him. If you match up with someone you don't know the risk is always there that you will lose and I think going online and trying to "expose" these hustlers is just wrong. Let the road players make their money and stay unknown, thats all they have. Playing detective and trying to kill someone's action is equatable to standing around a roulette table at a casino and telling all the people who wanna play that their odds are horrible and they can't win. O, and I saw Jessie play a few weeks ago in my town...he plays good, thats all I gotta say about it.

Harvywallbanger
05-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Were you sore the next day? Just kidding.

:D That could be one of the funniest things I've read on these forums yet. Not laughing at you Purdman just the joke.:)

poolbiz420
05-14-2006, 11:35 AM
I don't want to spoil any ones action just looking for some info. on a road player. They came into town last night and they were back again tonight. They say they are from Florida the players name they say is Jesse O (didn't catch the whole last name) He's an older hispanic gentleman and his backer is a middle age caucasion man? His name they are saying is Craig? If anyone has any info that would be great
Thanks

It seems if you read this, I never asked how he played, I could tell you how he plays he's on the freakin' road!! I just wanted a little back ground on the guy cause i myself have never seen him. I learn what i needed to know, maybe i should have titled the thread different.
Biz

Chesscat
05-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Jessie's cooking eggs right now in the house, if you ever want to contact him to set up a game or what have you, give me a shout.

Chesscaty

poolstar31
05-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Was this in Toledo?

poolstar31
05-22-2006, 11:49 AM
I over heard the backer talking about them playing Shannon Murphy, but he said it was a 10 ahead race. Two nights ago he played one of our young guns here in town Danny Smith they spit sets 2 and 2. Last night they played again jesse wins 2 sets. When i left he was playing another player from town some one pocket and Branndon was up one game when i left.

Was this in Toledo?

Banks
05-22-2006, 03:12 PM
The only problem here is when facing the typical road player, or someone who's done the exact same thing by asking about the people to find out who to play. What's the difference between the road player asking or the guy he wants to play? Sure, they may do "their homework", which sounds oh so studious and applaudible, but that's just the same thing in reverse. If you don't want people knowing who is who, just don't say, or be the road player and mislead them. If you're good enough and have shown your face in enough places to be known and to have word spread, that's your own fault. Pick up a bar cue from time to time, switch hands, do something if you don't want to be known, or else your just putting your own neck on the line and have nobody to blame but yourself. Loud-mouthed game-killers in the pool hall/bar are different.. they just want to think they matter somehow, since they don't have a game themselves.

Chesscat
06-06-2006, 08:12 PM
I heard jessie was playing in the Atlanta qualifier this weekend. Good luck to him!:)