PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP with a Phenolic Tip/Ferrule Installation

ashmouth
05-11-2006, 09:45 AM
I purchased some phenolic 1 piece tips/ferrules and attempted to put one on my break cue last night with my CueSmith lathe.

Since the ferrule is oversized vs. the shaft, I did as I always do and cut the ferrule down with my round nose tool bit. I only took off about .5 mm of material and after doing this, the ferrule looked horrible with a bunch of uneven patches where the layers showed through. Some areas were even had spots that were gouged out. Attempting to rough sand and finish sand the ferrule didn't fix the problem so I ended up cutting it off in disgust.

Does this happen with all phenolic tip/ferrules or did I get a bad product?

Is there something I can do alleviate this problem during installation?

Please help!

Snapshot9
05-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Was the ferrule/tip not available in different sizes? (to fit your break shaft)
Many one piece ferrule/tip combinations are made different than having 2 pieces to begin with.

I have a J*&J break/jump cue with a 1/2" phenolic ferrule/tip combination (14mm), and I cracked 1/3 of the tip off. I contacted Bob Owen of Shurtz Cues (my cuemaker and local), and he said he would replace it for $15, which I feel is very reasonable.

I would think cutting a ferrule down (depending on material) would be difficult to achieve, especially with the type of finish it had when you first
got it. Not to mention that your cue could end up shorter if you had to do it more than once.

I pay to have my oil changed in my car, and I pay a cuemaker for cue repairs (except I have reglued tips back on that popped off), and i just feel it is better that way .... lol

NineBallNut
05-11-2006, 11:22 AM
How fast were u spinning the shaft? Did you take .5mm off all at once? Maybe your roundnose is getting dull. Try the right to left and only take of minimal amounts at a time.

Varney Cues
05-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Use sharp tools, small multiple passes, leave oversize and finish sand to size. Any small holes can be filled with CA and resanded.

Mr. Wilson
05-11-2006, 11:43 AM
High speed buffer will polish it up.

ashmouth
05-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks for all your tips!

I will make another attempt tonight using all your suggestion... wish me luck!