PDA

View Full Version : They don't tell you how good you are when you win...

Billy_Bob
05-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Something new happened to me... They don't tell you how good you are when you win, but if you lose....

I went to a tournament last night and when I walked in, everyone kind of glared at me. Not friendly faces.

This is a tough tournament and I have never made it into the money. I can only win against maybe 70% of the players if I'm playing well, but need table runs and break and runs to even do that.

No one at this tournament has ever told me I was a good player. Not a word!

Well I couldn't stay late at this tournament, so I was not trying "very hard" if you know what I mean.

So I play this guy I can usually win against. He wins the match and he is delighted to say the least. Then walking back to my chair, all of a sudden I notice many of the players are happy suddenly and are smiling at me, being friendly all of a sudden, etc.

Hummm, this is interesting!

Then the player who won against me later comes up to me and shakes my hand again. He is happy as can be. Then he starts telling me how he has sometimes won against some of the best players around. Then starts rattling off the names of every shark in the area and how he won against them once, etc.

Then he lumps me in the same group of players! Starts telling me how good of a player I am, etc. How he knew he didn't have a chance playing me, etc.

Is this *me* he is talking about? Billy Bob the beginner? My head was swelling! I don't think I fit into that class as some of those other players kick my you know what quite frequently.

Anyway it was good for someone to finally give me some positive feedback on my playing. I guess they only do this when you lose.

I've played quite well sometimes winning 1st in other tournaments. And pulled off some impossible shots to win against some very tough opponents. And I expected someone to pat me on the back or something. But no one says a word. (Opponent will say good run usually.)

Also I guess when you walk into a tournament and they glare at you, don't welcome you with open arms and friendliness, this should be taken as a compliment?

lewdo26
05-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah... Much of the "fear of winning" syndrome has to do with that. Competitive success may attract animosity, especially if it's an upset.

I'd disregard all of that. Play your game. There is no other joy. All else is vanity.:)

mikepage
05-11-2006, 12:21 PM
[...]

Then he lumps me in the same group of players! Starts telling me how good of a player I am, etc. How he knew he didn't have a chance playing me, etc.

Is this *me* he is talking about? Billy Bob the beginner? My head was swelling! [...]

a compliment?

It depends. Was he sprinkling a little Old Bay seasoning on your head as he spoke?

mike page
fargo

Jigger
05-11-2006, 12:39 PM
OK BillyBob, you are awesome, feared & admired.

Gregg
05-11-2006, 01:01 PM
OK BillyBob, you are awesome, feared & admired.

Right; Let me win against you BillyBob, and I'll simply gush over your massive skills at the table!

ScottW
05-11-2006, 01:06 PM
It seems to me that people are more likely to praise your skills when THEY beat you. This makes them feel better about themselves - you're a good player and they beat YOU!

If you beat them, they're frustrated and would rather chalk your win over them up to something other than your skill (luck, the wind, whatever).

Eric.
05-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Hey B_Bob,

Why don't you post a video of yourself shooting a rack or two?

Eric

Egg McDogit
05-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Something new happened to me... They don't tell you how good you are when you win, but if you lose....

I've never beaten anyone so I wouldn't know. It's good to hear that someone is winning though.

BillPorter
05-11-2006, 02:01 PM

Billy_Bob, your post reminds me of a guy I've played pretty frequently. When I beat this guy, he ALWAYS says how badly he played! NEVER how well I played. It's like, in his mind, the outcome depends entirely on HIM. If he plays well, he wins, if he plays poorly, he loses. I think it's a type of egocentrism, if you'll pardon a big word. In other words, they really don't focus on your game much, just their own.

Big Dave
05-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I had a novice female beat me in a heavily handicapped event and she ran around the club screaming she beat me afterwards! Pretty embarassing, but she's a nice girl and I was happy that she was so happy about it.

Obviously I still wouild have preferred to beat her, and I certainly tried hard enough, and I was surprised it meant so much to her, but I didn't want to "rain on her parade" - it was a milestone for her, so that's good.

I never forget how I felt when I won my first tournament and a pro player I really respected came up to me and shook my hand and congratulated me... It really meant something to me, I guess my eyes "welled-up" at the time, but I never forgot that, and now, years on, and perhaps I'm the old pro, I always remember to shake the hand and congratulate the kid who just won the local handicapped event for the first time!

APA7
05-12-2006, 05:57 AM
Hey, that's a great idea. Why don't U post a video of UR self shooting, Billy?

Brian

pharaoh68
05-12-2006, 06:12 AM
I know how you're feeling Billy Bob. I've had a tournament director call me "the Phil Mickelson of Pool" as I was the greatest pool player to never win a tournament. He was exaggerating of course, but his point was simple. I, like you, play really well despite my showings in the tournament. I've finished in the money several times but took home the whole thing.

The point is sometimes we play better than we realize and it takes others to let us know this. Its so easy to get caught up in how we perform in a tournament or in a gambling session, that we lose focus of how we are actually just playing the game!!!

Billy_Bob
05-12-2006, 07:15 AM
Billy_Bob, your post reminds me of a guy I've played pretty frequently. When I beat this guy, he ALWAYS says how badly he played! NEVER how well I played. It's like, in his mind, the outcome depends entirely on HIM...

When I have been the TD at tournaments, players will come up to me and tell me how well they are doing, who they won against last week, etc.

I tell them good job, keep up the good work, etc.

Also when I am the TD, some people seem to need to explain to *me* why they lost their match in the tournament. I guess they are worried about what I am "thinking" about their playing? And then I get a zillion people asking me if I saw their "ESPN shot".

Actually when I am TD, I am busy with the paperwork and trying to keep track of who has won. And dealing with an endless stream of players who want to know who they are playing next or when they will play next. So I don't have a lot of time to keep track of how well particular players are shooting. I'm lucky to mark down who won and call the next match!

So far as what I "think" about other players shooting... When I watch at tournaments, I'm learning, not forming opinions about their skill. I'm working on position play for my game, so I watch what ball they are shooting, how they are shooting it, try to predict where the cue ball will go after they shoot, then watch where the cue ball actually goes. I learn a lot from watching other players. Also for 8-ball, I watch which balls they choose to shoot in which order. Then see if it works or gets them into trouble. So that is what I am "thinking"...

Craig Fales
05-12-2006, 07:30 AM
I think what it comes down to is they're pissed at losing to you....and when they win they have something to gloat over....
________

Hal
05-12-2006, 08:30 AM
I've won two tournaments in my life.

Tournament #1 prize: $50.00 entry into a bigger tournament
Tournament #2 prize: A small (and I mean small. Like 6 inches) pizza and a coke at the USO in Okinawa Japan.

jay helfert
05-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Reminds me of a time when I could play a little. I was in Dayton playing in the All Around in '74 or '75. I had won a couple of matches (and some $$ from Willie Munson) and just beat Dan Louie 11-5. I was in the money and feeling kind of good about my game.

My next match was against Jersey Red. He comes up to me and tells me how good I'm playing and that he has no chance. He says he may just forfeit and not show up. I'm thinking, cool, that moves me up to 9-12th.

Wellllll, he does show up and I'm sharked immediately. I just can't seem to get untracked and he beats me 11-6. I have to play right back against Larry Lisciotti and he drowns me 11-3 or something like that. Oh well, back to work, running The Cue Ball In Bakersfield, CA.

Colin Colenso
05-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Reminds me of a time when I could play a little. I was in Dayton playing in the All Around in '74 or '75. I had won a couple of matches (and some $$ from Willie Munson) and just beat Dan Louie 11-5. I was in the money and feeling kind of good about my game.

My next match was against Jersey Red. He comes up to me and tells me how good I'm playing and that he has no chance. He says he may just forfeit and not show up. I'm thinking, cool, that moves me up to 9-12th.

Wellllll, he does show up and I'm sharked immediately. I just can't seem to get untracked and he beats me 11-6. I have to play right back against Larry Lisciotti and he drowns me 11-3 or something like that. Oh well, back to work, running The Cue Ball In Bakersfield, CA.

lol Jay...the standard improves but the same old games go on:D