PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Question

flyers
05-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Trying to set up lighting for my new table coming at the end of the month. The room's ceiling is vaulted/slanted. I have 2 options. 1st, I can have an electrician move an existing ceiling box a few feet so it would be about center over the table area and mount a hanging 3-light lamp or 2nd, I can install 2 sets of track lights. The tracks would be about 12 feet long to hold approx 6 lights each. One track would be 12 feet above the floor running along one of the long rails. The other track would be 15 feet above the floor about 2 away from the opposite long rail. I could angle the lights to try to cover the entire table. The track lights are an easier install.

-What do you think would be a better way to go?
Also, if I go with the hanging lamp is it better to wait til the table is installed?

Kevin Lindstrom
05-11-2006, 08:41 PM
I can't say from experience but I would think the track lighting would be spotty. I could be wrong. I would mount a light with 2-4 flourescent tube bulbs above the table like you see in alot of pool rooms.It seems to be the best overall lighting.

Gimme The 8
05-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Trying to set up lighting for my new table coming at the end of the month. The room's ceiling is vaulted/slanted. I have 2 options. 1st, I can have an electrician move an existing ceiling box a few feet so it would be about center over the table area and mount a hanging 3-light lamp or 2nd, I can install 2 sets of track lights. The tracks would be about 12 feet long to hold approx 6 lights each. One track would be 12 feet above the floor running along one of the long rails. The other track would be 15 feet above the floor about 2 away from the opposite long rail. I could angle the lights to try to cover the entire table. The track lights are an easier install.

Also, if I go with the hanging lamp is it better to wait til the table is installed?
If I were you I would map out the table dimesions on the floor, and where you want the light inside the rectangle. Then use a plum bob from the ceiling so you will know where to put the hooks to hank the light from. Seems like it would be a pain to work over and around the table.

It's George Old Owner
05-11-2006, 10:53 PM
u can install lights 1st but make sure u know where exactly ur tbl will be..
also if u install aft the tbl then it might be more difficult to install the lights

Ronoh
05-11-2006, 11:17 PM

If I were you, I'd do the track lighting. Instead of the standard diffusers use either liner diffusers or cylintrical diffusers. Put your tracks on a dimmer switch. Use either the florescent bulbs or the 1 Watt LED light fixtures.

Why I'm thinking the track lighting would be better, is not only for the ease of installation, but also you'd have the option to point them away from the table onto your vaulted ceiling if you're entertaining friends.

abbassi
05-12-2006, 02:35 AM
I would put flourecents. Build a box or buy with 8 4ft tubes, day light tubes. I would also put the track lights for when not using the table.

SlateHumper
05-12-2006, 04:04 AM
I can't say from experience but I would think the track lighting would be spotty. I could be wrong. I would mount a light with 2-4 flourescent tube bulbs above the table like you see in alot of pool rooms.It seems to be the best overall lighting.

I install tables for a living and run into this all the time. I agree 100% with what Kevin said.

Hal
05-12-2006, 05:49 AM
I have recessed lighting. They weren't that expensive, but the bulbs are high as hell. I had a maintenance man from work install 20 of them. Only 8 are in the pool room. They're in a big square about 2 feet outside the table's edge. Those plus the ceiling fan provide enough light. Mine are not spotty. Some people's may be spotty simply because there isn't enough of them. Here's a pic.

Mr. Wilson
05-12-2006, 06:39 AM
12' cieling will be difficult for fluorescent. You can consider High Output fixtures, but they are usually industrial and lack in looks.

Track lighting as an option is ok, but you need to consider using a mixture of narrow flood and spot lamps ( 50 or 75 watt ) PAR 30 would be my guess.

I have sold quite a bit of recessed light for this application. Eyeball trims with the lamp configurations mentioned above work pretty well after you get them aimed correctly.

The main lighting I sell is Progress. You can check against thier website for ideas.

www.progresslighting.com

You can also email or PM me with questions.

Dave

PS, you can also run a swag over to the table from the box and use pendant lighting, which can look very nice.

Hal
05-12-2006, 06:45 AM
Mine are fixed without eyeball trims. They're also the smaller recessed lights. The bulbs are quite small.

Mr. Wilson
05-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Hal,

Do you know these things:

The manufacturer of the fixtures.

The size of the cans.

The PAR or BR size of the bulb ie. 20, 30 or 38

and the wattage?

Dave

Craig Fales
05-12-2006, 07:20 AM
You wouldn't need to have the electric box moved, just wire it with a standard plug and run a cord over to where your table is centered and drop lighting from there...find the studs in the ceiling and hang lights from there...I think they even have track lighting that hangs...if not go with flourescents....
________
ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE (http://www.ecigarettes123.com/)

Hal
05-12-2006, 07:41 AM
I bought them at Lowes. They came in a kit. All we did was use a Rotozip to cut a hole and wired them into the ceiling fan lights.

My bulbs are R20 50watt.
The cans are about 3.5 inches

Mr. Wilson
05-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Kit lights....Hmmm.

Maybe Halo.

Lots of the stuff they package as kits are not friendly when it comes to wanting a different trim.

As for the bulbs, you can look for 50PAR20 in a wide flood for good coverage.

2' from the table, 5' above the playing surface is asking a lot from any bulb though.

Hal
05-12-2006, 08:07 AM
I think what they do best is break up the over powering light created by the ceiling fan lights. If I play with just the ceiling fan lights, It's enough light, but they create too many shadows.

flyers
05-12-2006, 02:58 PM
How difficult it is to run a "swag" to the junction box? A 3-light lamp has the ceiling mounting plate the cover the box normally. Do I mount the light at the existing box and they swap the chain to like a plant hanger hook centered over the table. I need the lamp method or track method to look good. The wife would never allow an industrial look in the house.

Mr. Wilson
05-12-2006, 04:16 PM
There are so many ways you can hang that light.

If you have an unfinished area above ( attic ) it would be very simple to run. If it is inline with your joists or rafters, still very easy to "fish" in.

flyers
05-12-2006, 06:32 PM
There are so many ways you can hang that light.

If you have an unfinished area above ( attic ) it would be very simple to run. If it is inline with your joists or rafters, still very easy to "fish" in.

There is no attic space. 12 feet high vaulted ceiling.

Mr. Wilson
05-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Check out a product line called "wiremold".

Surface mounted raceway for wires. I wouldn't do a swag on a vaulted cieling.

It's George Old Owner
05-12-2006, 08:33 PM
There is no attic space. 12 feet high vaulted ceiling.
stick a fluorocent light then..if that's how u spell it :)