PDA

View Full Version : Tip Hardness VS Deflection

Wizardry
05-12-2006, 03:39 AM
Have been playing with a Moori medium for quite some time, love the hit. But on certain shots, draw with side, and follow with side, i realise that there is a substantial amount of squirt or deflection in the cueball. This is even more so with a Moori soft tip. Did try a Moori Q and immediatly noticed a jump in my potting ability. The cueball does not deflect as much and i was potting balls and also getting good positioning because the correct spin as applied.

The thing is, soft tips enable the player to spin the CB better, but i beleieve that there is such a thing as TOO much spin? The Moori Q has allowed me to pot balls better with the intended spin.

Is tip hardness and deflection related? How bout the joint of the cue?
Someone mentioned in another post that steel joints cause more deflection? how much of this is true? i've main part of the cue is only the first 6 inches of the cue, the other is all feel, sound made and design...

tedkaufman
05-12-2006, 05:19 AM
I would agree that with a soft tip you can probably risk going a bit further from the center of the cueball, and thereby impart a bit more spin. But I certainly don't agree that one can play better position with a softer tip, unless you are referring to touch, which is subjective and based more on feel. Personally, the closer I can stay to the center of the cueball, the happier I am, and I rarely use more than a cuetip width from center.

I also play with a Moori M, and the greatest benefit Moori and other layered tips have over solid tips is they are more consistent tip to tip, as well as more uniform across the tip.

In terms of deflection, I have not noticed less deflection with harder tips. Nor do I think joint design has anything to do with deflection. If anything, I think a softer tip would cause more deflection than a harder tip simply because you can hit the cueball a little further toward the edge.

Colin Colenso
05-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Is tip hardness and deflection related? How bout the joint of the cue?
Someone mentioned in another post that steel joints cause more deflection? how much of this is true? i've main part of the cue is only the first 6 inches of the cue, the other is all feel, sound made and design...
I believe it's possible that tip hardness could be a variable in squirt, but have not tested it.

Tell me a bit more about the types of shots you found variation with..length, speed ets and which side they caused misses. Also, what was your alignment method...BHE or parallel or just feel?

I doubt the joint would be a significant contributing factor.

Colin

Tokyo-dave
05-12-2006, 03:09 PM
In my own personal experience, a harder the tip, and a smaller the tip radius (dime -VS- nickel) seem to reduce deflection considerably. This may be a cue to cue and player to player difference, but for me, when I first install a new tip, I file it as I play for the first few hours, and when I notice that I'm getting more deflection than I'm used to, I file it down to a smaller radius and get noticable results.
dave

It's George Old Owner
05-12-2006, 06:55 PM
a lot of things r involved when it comes to deflection..countless factors..
just play w w/e u feel comfortable :p

Wizardry
05-19-2006, 04:35 AM
I believe it's possible that tip hardness could be a variable in squirt, but have not tested it.

Tell me a bit more about the types of shots you found variation with..length, speed ets and which side they caused misses. Also, what was your alignment method...BHE or parallel or just feel?

I doubt the joint would be a significant contributing factor.

Colin

I still dunno the "correct" way of applying english. I use a combination of both, parallel english as well as BHE, for shot that are close to each other, i tend to use BHE, but for long shots needed exessive side spin, i use a more parallel approach....