PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the music in your pool room?

recoveryjones
05-14-2006, 11:07 AM
A few months back a guy from my age(49) and era started working at the pool hall.He brought with him his own music(Clapton, Van Morrison , JJ Cale,Bob Marley,the Stones, etc etc) from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and started playing it.

I then got involved and started downloading some of the 500 greatest rock and roll songs of all time,Rocks most played songs, rocks 100 top albums and several other classic rock tunes.I also downloaded several legendary blues tunes. Altoghther I'm in the process of making 25 CD'sor so of hand picked music.It's just one hit after another.We've also selected many of the good hits of today.

Anyways, I can't tell you how thourghly enjoyable it is to play pool accompanyied by the music you love and appreciate.The music had me so melowed that I felt really focused and played good.The guys at the pool hall are really starting to enjoy things as well, as many have commented.

Another time I didn't play so good,however, it was all still an enjoyable experience because of the music. On the other hand , our other main pool hall plays nothing but disco crap and rap music.Although I like a little(some rap) of everything,that pool hall is top heavy on what I don't like.I know music is a personal thing and some people like that stuff,however, the music has made me change home pool rooms.I also realize the pool room owner has to cater to the crowd that makes up the majority of his customers.

Does music influence your choice of pool rooms?
Do you shoot any better with certain tunes playing?
How's the music in your pool room?
RJ

bizboy313
05-14-2006, 11:13 AM
I actually enjoy the music in a room (if there is any) to be loud and heavy i.e. rap or rock. For me, it helps me kinda zone out and concentrate on the game and I think the rythmn of the hip hop music helps me keep control of my mind but thats just me. Some people need complete silence or low music, if any. What bothers me is the easy listening crap because for some reason, I can't concentrate when its playing lol.

Onemoreyouth
05-14-2006, 12:05 PM
i find it funny on my monday night leauge of 95 percent middle age and up men that all the music playing is always the same hardcore band or chris rock, or rap.... and thats catering to the majority of their customors? must be a lot more 'hip' old guys than i thought.

personally i like a little of everything, but i agree, when i pick my own music at the college to play to, its the oldies... that stuff is relaxing to me without overwhelming the room.

i really dont care what is playing as long as i dont have to yell across the table to talk... but what really gets me is the same song over and over every week... thats what drives me up the wall... theres a few million songs in the world today, and these drunks only like 3?

Masayoshi
05-14-2006, 12:51 PM
anything is better than hearing the pump it up (ddr kockoff) machine blare korean music all day long at my school's student union (think the same demo song 100+ times in a row). i actually dont mind loud music at bars because of it, at least theres some variety.

Scottlucasi19
05-15-2006, 04:56 AM
I love listening to Jim Croce when I play

catscradle
05-15-2006, 05:10 AM

No, though I would prefer a place with no music, classical music (unheard of), jazz, or classic rock 'n roll in that order.

I more accurate to say I shot worse with certain tunes on. I don't think any music has a positive effect on my game, but some can be distracting and irritating.

RJ
A real mix depending upon who's playing it. Classic rock, country western, head banger rock. Alas, no classical :( .

degenrat
05-15-2006, 05:54 AM
i like hard rock, classic rock and metal to play if i had the choice. it pumps me up a bit, and i can zone out.

gulfportdoc
05-15-2006, 06:04 AM
RJ
If they MUST play music, I don't care what it is --except rap, which is not music. But the VOLUME should be low enough that you can hear conversation at normal levels. In most rooms the music is intrusively loud. I guess they think they're being hip, slick and cool; but they're really just being annoying. I usually leave when the music is so loud I can't concentrate any longer.

In one room I attend, the owner finally put the speakers on separate controls in the room, so that the bar box players can get music blasted at them while they're getting blasted.:rolleyes:

Doc

pooltchr
05-15-2006, 06:11 AM
I agree that keeping the volume to a reasonable level is most important. My personal preference is classic rock. The Doors, Allman Brothers, and just about anything out of the 70's. The room I play in even has the Grateful Dead on the jukebox!
Steve

uwate
05-15-2006, 06:47 AM
I love listening to music in the pool room, although sometimes when Im on a table that has a speaker right next to it, it can be annoying if they are playing some tunes I dont like. One of the two rooms I play out of has a jukebox connected online and it downloads songs from a huge list. I really like that jukebox because I get to hear alot of new music. Alot of times I find myself saying to my opponent "hey brb" and walking over to see whats playing so I can remember to search it out later.

Nothing worse that a dead silent pool room!

uwate
05-15-2006, 06:50 AM
The room I play in even has the Grateful Dead on the jukebox!
Steve

Yes but do they play any Dick's Picks or is it all the Dead's studio stuff which sucks ass imo compared to their live stuff?

If you like the Dead, check this out:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree&cat=Grateful%20Dead

Well over 1000 concerts of the Dead streaming online. Many of them soundboards (Betty Boards). Hey Now, Hey Now!

pooltchr
05-15-2006, 07:28 AM
How about China Cat/I Know you rider from the movie soundtrack? (Which also happens to be in my car's CD player at the moment)
I'm telling you, this place rocks!
Steve

TheBook
05-15-2006, 07:30 AM
There is a saying that one person's music is another person's noise.

I like to listen to music. I have the stereo on all day long when not watching TV. The probelm is the volume. I don't like to be in a place where it is so loud that all you are hearing is noise because of all the distortion comming from the speakers. Many do not realize it but you do become noise fatiqued from the distortion. All that booming that seems to be so fasinating today is nothing but distortion from overloading the speakers.

The worst is when it is really quite and then the jukebox comes blasting on.

uwate
05-15-2006, 07:35 AM
How about China Cat/I Know you rider from the movie soundtrack? (Which also happens to be in my car's CD player at the moment)
I'm telling you, this place rocks!
Steve

Check out this ChinaCat/IKYR from 1985.
http://www.archive.org/details/gd85-06-15.set2.sbd.gans-samaritano.28439.sbeok.flacf

Craig Fales
05-15-2006, 07:41 AM
On top of someone exhausting their cigarette smoke, a quiet pool room is annoying...for me any rock from '65 on will get me in the zone...
________
Paxil class action lawsuit (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

juanbond
05-15-2006, 08:20 AM
At our home table in Danville we usually set my iPod on the FM transmitter... Here's some of the more heavily-rotated stuff in our pool room:

System of a Down
Eminem
Tupac
Bob Marley
One of my own bands, PSR (http://psr47.com/albums.html)
Atmosphere
Primus
Isis

ATH
05-15-2006, 08:41 AM
I need music, hehe. A silent room is depressing, music livens up the place.

Chris
05-15-2006, 08:51 AM
I would prefer no jukebox. Silence is golden.

These days it is more practical, IMO, for everyone to have a personal MP3 player. That way, everyone can choose their own personal tunes, or silence.

What I hate to hear is country and classic rock, especially classic rock. I've heard the same songs too many times for too many years. Sweet Home Alabama becomes quite grating after hearing it 25,000 times.

SkippyFL
05-15-2006, 09:43 AM
All that booming that seems to be so fasinating today is nothing but distortion from overloading the speakers.

I quite enjoy that booming and can assure you that it is not distortion and definitely does not come from "overloading" the speakers. Both my car and home audio systems "boom" due to having high quality properly configured subwoofers. The subwoofers are what put out the low frequency "booming" not "overloading" speakers.

cueandcushion
05-15-2006, 01:00 PM
I would prefer no jukebox. Silence is golden.

These days it is more practical, IMO, for everyone to have a personal MP3 player. That way, everyone can choose their own personal tunes, or silence.

What I hate to hear is country and classic rock, especially classic rock. I've heard the same songs too many times for too many years. Sweet Home Alabama becomes quite grating after hearing it 25,000 times.

Our pool room used to have the nickname of PGA pool room because it was so quiet. No jukebox etc. It was also quiet because of no kids came in. When the gambling boats came to town, the old players went to the boat for action. We then put in a jukebox. The kids started coming in then. The "kids" that all the pool players hate account for about 60-70% of our business. Without those pesky kids, the pool players would not have a place to loiter and watch cable tv or complain about how our country needs this and that. If I hear Devil went down to Georgia less than 3 times a night it is a blessing, but a jukebox probably helped keep our pool room open. ;)

Chris
05-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Our pool room used to have the nickname of PGA pool room because it was so quiet. No jukebox etc. It was also quiet because of no kids came in. When the gambling boats came to town, the old players went to the boat for action. We then put in a jukebox. The kids started coming in then. The "kids" that all the pool players hate account for about 60-70% of our business. Without those pesky kids, the pool players would not have a place to loiter and watch cable tv or complain about how our country needs this and that. If I hear Devil went down to Georgia less than 3 times a night it is a blessing, but a jukebox probably helped keep our pool room open. ;)

I don't expect to find a jukebox free room any time soon. Nonetheless, it would be nice.

danlamb
05-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Turn it on and crank it up.The harder the rock the better:eek:

lewdo26
05-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Aside from the afternoons, when they play a relaxing brand of jazz, the music in my poolroom is horrible. And I'm sad to say I do avoid Friday and Saturday nights when it gets really insane with the music and the party crowd.

When I am there during those hours, I try to use it to my advantage and see how focused I can be against the odds. That being said, I've yet to know a poolhall that plays real good music. So it isn't a consideration of mine in my choice of poolhalls.

I'd certainly prefer no music to top 40 crap. But I can see how good music can inspire.

(Notice that I'm not your relativistic good-music-depends-on-the-taste-of-the-listener kinda guy. Top 40 is crap. No two ways about it. Go ask the musicians who have dedicated a lifetime to their instruments as opposed to magazine photo shoots and videos.)

Tommy-D
05-15-2006, 01:48 PM
> One of the bars I play in got an iPod type jukebox about 4 months ago. It has about 200 cds on it,but also has a "download and play" feature,with about 20 different genres and a A-Z range within each. I got to playing with it one night and saw that it had most of the Dream Theater cds available,and was like "hell yeah",so I picked about 6 songs. They came up after everyone else's Hank,Gretchen Wilson,and David Allen Coe stuff,which is fine because I am not trying to cause a problem,but since I did that the first few times the regulars have been making an effort to get/keep the jukebox totally full before I get to the Thursday night tournament. If I have to sit through all manner of sappy,let's get drunk country and Free Bird 3 times a night,surely they can learn to live with Under A Glass Moon or Overture 1928. I will say that The Big Medley has been a hit though. Tommy D.

bigpocket
05-15-2006, 02:19 PM
> One of the bars I play in got an iPod type jukebox about 4 months ago. It has about 200 cds on it,but also has a "download and play" feature,with about 20 different genres and a A-Z range within each. I got to playing with it one night and saw that it had most of the Dream Theater cds available,and was like "hell yeah",so I picked about 6 songs. They came up after everyone else's Hank,Gretchen Wilson,and David Allen Coe stuff,which is fine because I am not trying to cause a problem,but since I did that the first few times the regulars have been making an effort to get/keep the jukebox totally full before I get to the Thursday night tournament. If I have to sit through all manner of sappy,let's get drunk country and Free Bird 3 times a night,surely they can learn to live with Under A Glass Moon or Overture 1928. I will say that The Big Medley has been a hit though. Tommy D.

Hey tom if they have a good jukebox, that down loads songs off the net. There should be a play now button. It cost a extra credit but plays your songs before the next song in line kinda cool I use it all the time.

DaveK
05-15-2006, 03:49 PM
I quite enjoy that booming and can assure you that it is not distortion and definitely does not come from "overloading" the speakers. Both my car and home audio systems "boom" due to having high quality properly configured subwoofers. The subwoofers are what put out the low frequency "booming" not "overloading" speakers.

If the 'booming' always seems to be the same note, then it might be caused by a standing wave. These occur at wave-lengths (frequencies) related to the room dimensions. Parallel walls that are a certain distance apart will 'amplify' some frequencies (wavelenngth = wall spacing), while attenuating others (1/2 wavelength - wall spacing). This is the boominess I hate, especially at a pool hall. Having said that the pool hall I play at is quite large, so their is no problem in the audio range. A room with walls 10' apart is another story.

I don't mind music at the pool hall, but when a favorite song is playing I sometimes drift that way rather than focus on the game/shot at hand. If I had my druthers I'd be singing in Oklahoma ... no wait, I've already done that ... my real druther would be some nice classical like Bachs Brandenberg Concertos.

Dave

smittie1984
05-15-2006, 06:54 PM
First off I doubt anyone could grasp or even come close to my variances in taste of music. I'm a musician who plays various instruments and has a great love for music. Even over pool. But...

When I'm at a pool hall I want old Blues. Or Blues of any kind really. Newest being some Stevie Ray Vaughan. But Classic rock or Southern Rock is good also.

At Brass Rails in Athens, GA they seem to have the better music. Their Juke Box has a great selection and the people there are more of the crowd who would listen to Classic Rock.

Cues 2 is very iffy. When I would normally play there they had an All Womans league. Which most I would be afraid coiuld beat the living tar out of me. They ended up playing a lot of Sheryl Crow, Pink, Indigo Girls, and other music which you would associate with women who don't really enjoy men. I like that music but it's not pool hall music to me. But Cues' sound system isn't that great so I don't really have to hear it.

At The Pool Room (Duluth) I swear a bar maid or something must throw $20 in there because whenever I go there I hear the same songs over and over. It's Black Eyed Peas or other top 40 rap like music. Which is ok but not what I prefer at a pool hall. And at Table 9,1, and 19 the music can drown your thoughts out too.

I guess I need to finally bite the bullet and get an MP3 player and listen to my own selection.

stroke
05-15-2006, 08:21 PM
The music in pool halls I generally do not like but what I can't stand is all the cig smoke. Why do pool players have to be so unhealthy? Personally, I could care less how people live their lives but it really burns my butt when they force their drugs in my lungs. I quit entering tournaments as a result.

SkippyFL
05-15-2006, 08:57 PM
If the 'booming' always seems to be the same note, then it might be caused by a standing wave. These occur at wave-lengths (frequencies) related to the room dimensions. Parallel walls that are a certain distance apart will 'amplify' some frequencies (wavelenngth = wall spacing), while attenuating others (1/2 wavelength - wall spacing). This is the boominess I hate, especially at a pool hall.

That only works if none of the sound is absorbed in the walls/ceiling/floor, and the speakers are directly perpendicular to a perfectly flat surface. You could make it happen in a lab or MAYBE half-assed in a sound/theatre room at home but not in a pool hall. Random physics knowledge always helps a post sound better though.

Mystick Cue Fan
05-15-2006, 09:01 PM
I agree on the smoke but I can play both ways. With or without music. Some music does help me play better though. But kinda weird music. Just to mellow me out. Dave matthews band, The cranberries, Coldplay, jewel, etc. Anything like that helps me play better than any other typeo of music.

Tony

Jimbojim
05-15-2006, 10:56 PM
nice thread!

I don;t like the music they play in poolroom but I cannot expect them to put some Joe Satriani.

I think I'm gonna try practicing with my discman

Fleece3
05-16-2006, 12:14 AM

Not anymore (reason stated below)

ABSOLUTELY!!! Not really certain tunes, as much as genre. I now play w/ an IPOD on.

RJ

Mostly sucks...Hence the Ipod

It's George Old Owner
05-16-2006, 01:31 AM
i ever played w 1 guy n was winning him streaks of matches..
suddenly the music changed to a different type n he started getting so accurate that i lost all the way!
music affects!

JoeyA
05-16-2006, 06:42 AM
If they MUST play music, I don't care what it is --except rap, which is not music. But the VOLUME should be low enough that you can hear conversation at normal levels. In most rooms the music is intrusively loud. I guess they think they're being hip, slick and cool; but they're really just being annoying. I usually leave when the music is so loud I can't concentrate any longer.

In one room I attend, the owner finally put the speakers on separate controls in the room, so that the bar box players can get music blasted at them while they're getting blasted.:rolleyes:

Doc

So Doc,what type of music do you like to listen to when you are NOT playing pool? I'm always curious as to the personal taste of former/professional musicians like yourself, especially when they like you, were a member of a famous band.
JoeyA

Cardinal2B
05-16-2006, 06:59 AM
RJ

Play at On Cue in Norwalk, CT. They have a digital jukebox which you can search by artist, tiitle, etc and find most anything. The owner prefers blues & jazz, so plays them in the off hours when only players are in. On busy nights it is the usual head banging & rap. League nights is a mix of old rock, rap, country, you name it.
For myself, you could just play Little Feat all night & that'd be fine.
But, when I'm playing, I don't really hear any music...

DaveK
05-16-2006, 07:33 AM
That only works if none of the sound is absorbed in the walls/ceiling/floor, and the speakers are directly perpendicular to a perfectly flat surface. You could make it happen in a lab or MAYBE half-assed in a sound/theatre room at home but not in a pool hall. Random physics knowledge always helps a post sound better though.

Nonsense. These effects are very common. You are correct in that their effects are influenced by the walls, but most common building techniques leave pretty reflective walls. And as I mentioned most pool halls are a bit big for audio wavelengths.

I thought that my education was rather systematic, taking 100 level physics classes before the 200 level etc., all the way to an electrical engineering degree.

Dave

jasper
05-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Play at On Cue in Norwalk, CT. They have a digital jukebox which you can search by artist, tiitle, etc and find most anything. The owner prefers blues & jazz, so plays them in the off hours when only players are in. On busy nights it is the usual head banging & rap. League nights is a mix of old rock, rap, country, you name it.
For myself, you could just play Little Feat all night & that'd be fine.
But, when I'm playing, I don't really hear any music...
Try playing pool to the guess who or the cars.
Thats when I play my best game.
Country and rap are the worst.
How on earth can anyone play pool with depressing country music or a head pounding rap song that sounds the same no matter what rap song it it is.
I agree that the pool rooms should cater to the clients that are there bread and butter. Howerver, as someone here already stated, I've been to pool rooms that play the wrong music for the crowd. Quite often, even if there is room full of older people 35 - 50 they still play Rap.
Many times the only people the music is pleasing is the 2 or 3 very young people that work in the pool room.
I don't give my business to places that play rap. For one thing you can't understand anything they say ( notice I said "SAY" not "SING" ) even if it was legible, you still couldn't understand that terrible attempt at rhyming
with that LOUD thumping going on.
Please try a little harder to please everyone, not just the nineteen year olds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PlynSets
05-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Damn, after reading the thread I gotta be the out cast of the bunch.. Even though it rarely (if ever) plays, I prefer to listen to country music when I play pool.. LOL If not Country then blues, old blues.. What I would call "pool hall" music. ;)

To be honest though being (29) a younger guy, not much of anything really bothers me except "heavy metal." That to me doesn't belong in a pool hall. Even though I listen to hip/hop - rap etc.. It doesn't really belong in a pool room as far as I'm concerned. Overall my music choice is kinda all over the place. I listen to (on a regular basis) hip/hop, country, R&B, rock, Classic rock, some heavier rock, rap, and just about everything else you could name off with the exception of classical.. Only use classical for some videos where I'm trying to make a point. ;)

RD

highrun55
05-16-2006, 06:08 PM
In my room I have XM Radio and play blues during the day and 60`s to 80`s rock at night, very few complaints and when there are it`s because it`s not loud enough. I just tell everyone to not talk so loud, as they are usually standing next to the other person.

karambolista
05-16-2006, 07:24 PM
To me, any kind of music will do as long as it's not too loud that you cannot hear the clicking of the balls.