PDA

View Full Version : Efren, Luat, Santos, and me in Vegas...

rackmsuckr
05-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Can't believe I get to be in the same sentence as them, let alone the same picture, lol.

My partner and I got 7/8th in Scotch Doubles.

BillPorter
05-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Can't believe I get to be in the same sentence as them, let alone the same picture, lol.

My partner and I got 7/8th in Scotch Doubles.
Nice going in the doubles! As usual, Efren avoids looking directly at the camera.

rackmsuckr
05-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Nice going in the doubles! As usual, Efren avoids looking directly at the camera.

Thanks, we got knocked over on the B side by Tyler Eydie and Joanne Ashton. We were well into the 3rd game before I even got to shoot! Had a scratch that rolled off and I still can't believe got by a ball and scratched, because there wasn't enough room between it and the rail! :confused: Also, they just played great, but they ended up placing the same as us.

Our 2nd loss came against CJ and her partner who both shot very strong. It was 3-3 going to 5 and I played a hero shot. We had 3 clusters involving both sets of balls. If I play a severe back cut kiss on 1 of the balls, it will make one of the balls and break out the other 2 clusters. Well, using inside english, I missed the ball altogether, broke them up and they ran them out good to get out. My partner definitely was not happy with me. :( His name is James Davee, a Geiler protege'. He had just made an excellent jump shot, that followed the correct 5 inches to get me perfect shape for the win. He wanted me to grind and wait for them to make the mistake. But I took the opportunity to win and messed up. Then they broke and ran out. :o

I never noticed that Efren does not look at the camera. Here's a pic from 10 years ago.

rackmsuckr
05-14-2006, 12:36 PM
I meant to add this to this thread and it accidentally posted as a new thread. So, to keep all my Vegas ramblings in one spot, I will re-post here and the other one can die.

Had dinner with Ike. He ran a mini-Q for the IPT on bar boxes. A good playing kid won it, named Josh.

Talked to Allison Fisher and Kristy Carter, Carol Clark, Belinda Campos, Marney Teague, Maryanne McConnell, Austin Murphy and his family, Stan Tournangeau, Tyler Eydie and Joanne Ashton (twinless this year for the first time) who also took 7/8th in SD with us, Cathy Metzinger, and others I can't think of now.

I met Vagabond, Breakup, and spent some time with Eydie. Good times with good people!

I played late last night, hard against a woman from Spain. She played great and I was grinding and tied it at 4 all. Then the wheels fell off the bus. I essentially scratched on the 8 on the next 3 games! Just brutal, or as Santos says, "Broo Tall". I think I missed one ball the entire set. Had a miscue and a couple hard rolls that she left, but she or I basically were running out or playing safes.

I play again at 10:30 tonight (I play a former teammate of mine) so I have a bunch of fun, relaxing stuff planned. We are in a condo, away from the main pool action right now and it is nice. Only bad part is we are on dialup. Of course, the Riv internet service that I had yesterday stunk and I could not upload my Efren pciture yesterday and I eventually got a refund after being on tech support 3 times. Almost makes up for the $10 bowl of chicken noodle soup with no noodles from room service yesterday, lol.

When and if I get knocked out, I might play in the "second chance tournament", <heavy sarcasm> in the Grand Master division. What the heck. That's what I came here for, to play. And eventually, I will probably hit the mini-tournaments, the slot machines, the speed pool and artistic pool (got 2nd last year in both) and gamble a little. Oh, and the pool and jacuzzi, shopping, shows, and sweating some of the pro action, etc.

My daughter called and said she was buying me a ticket to see Celine Dion for Mother's Day. I love Celine's voice and that is a nice present for me. I have a wonderful kid(s), though I doubt the other one even knows it is Mother's Day, lol. His girlfriend did text message me a Happy MD message though.

Having a good time, wish you were here, lol.

BillPorter
05-14-2006, 12:38 PM
I never noticed that Efren does not look at the camera. Here's a pic from 10 years ago.
Here's yet another example. My friend Mike Haines with Efren at the 2005 DCC.

satman
05-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Great pictures. I think Efren don't look right at the camera as a kind of modesty. Congrats to Rackm for that picture with 3 great players. You should have that enlarged to a poster and framed. Good Luck for the rest of the tournament. Sam

Fast Lenny
05-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Efren doesnt want the camera to steal his soul.:)

jsp
05-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Great pictures. I think Efren don't look right at the camera as a kind of modesty.
According to the recent Billiard Digest article (if I understood it correctly this time), Efren lately doesn't look directly at the camera because it affects his eyes. He attributes his recent eye troubles to the many camera flashes he has experienced throughout the years.

Anyways, Great pictures Linda!...and Bill as usual.

bud green
05-14-2006, 04:33 PM
The text from Billiards Digest:

He believes that much of the problem with his eyes was the result of too many camera flashes from the photos he's practically forced to pose for, even just moments before a match.

"In other countries where I'm not known, it's not a problem," he says. "I play good because nobody is taking my picture." Often in other countries, however, Reyes still cannot escape the adoration from his countrymen.

justnum
05-14-2006, 07:05 PM
i heard he doesnt look into the camera
as a salute to his filipino relatives back on the mainland.

that thing about his eyesight is just a cover up