PDA

View Full Version : the measle ball sure is educational and other ramblings

ShootingArts
05-14-2006, 04:52 PM
I had a few week lay up so I ordered a few books and tapes to entertain myself. While I was ordering I scored the measle ball I had been wanting to try.

The first discovery is that the cue ball really is doing all of the sliding described in the books. The appearance and mental image has always been that the ball was rolling or spinning one way or the other moving around the table.

Seeing the cue ball actually sliding six or eight feet made me want to change the stroke I was using. It took awhile to notice that the object balls were falling in the pockets like always. Nothing was wrong, I was just getting added input I wasn't used to.

Again with two much time on my hands, I also swapped my tip from the nickel radius I have been trying for months back to my old dime radius. Despite the theory and geometric modeling I had done indicating the nickel would serve me better a Moori medium tip I had been less than happy with came alive with the dime profile.

One of the books I bought was Banking with the Beard. A piece of secondhand advice in there was to sneak your own cue ball into the game. I have a feeling that is going to be a little tricky to do with the measle ball. ;)

Hu

jwpretd
05-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I think these are great, also. They show you well and without question what really happened when you accidentally put english on the ball, that your draw doesn't work because you didn't get any significant backspin no matter how low you *thought* you hit the ball, etc.

smittie1984
05-14-2006, 08:43 PM
I'm sure if you stuck a Measel ball in your opponent would be happy.

I've always liked shooting with the ball. Some people hate it but oh well.

pooltchr
05-15-2006, 03:46 AM
Not only does it tell you what kind of spin you put on the ball, but it allows you to see how the spin changes after hitting one rail, and again when it hits a second or third rail. Powerful stuff to know when you are forced into a two or three rail kick shot.
Steve