PDA

View Full Version : "OFFICIAL" Cut Shot Thread

Harvywallbanger
05-14-2006, 06:15 PM
I am new to the boards and it seems ALOT of threads get lost due to people constantly making new ones on the similer subject. I thought it would be a good idea to start making OFFICIAL threads about a particular topic so that way if your question fits that thread you don't have to make a new one. Before I posted this I seen cut shot threads but they were all specifically directed to a certain type of cut shot so hence this thread. Any question about any cut shot can be posted here. If you don't like the idea then its no sweat off my back so either way heres my question about a cut shot.:p

On long, thin cut shots I have been aiming about an 1/8 ball or so and then when I pull the trigger I veer my aim slightly to the left or right to make the super thin cut. The results seem benificial for now but I'm afraid I am getting into a bad habbit. I am a good B player and lately I have been catching gears that I feel are on the A level. Could this technique (although working positive compared to my speed now) hinder me from getting to the highest level on cut shots or at least slow my progression down.? I know it's different flavors for different folks so really I would just like your all's opinion. Thanks.

It's George Old Owner
05-14-2006, 06:19 PM
for really thin cut shots i can't care abt aiming anymore..i'll just go by feeling..if i feel it's right then i'll shoot..if not i'll wait till the feeling's right :)

Harvywallbanger
05-14-2006, 06:29 PM
for really thin cut shots i can't care abt aiming anymore..i'll just go by feeling..if i feel it's right then i'll shoot..if not i'll wait till the feeling's right :)

and then you just trust your aim and dont veer at all. I'm talking about super thin cuts here as in if you hit it the ball will barely make it to the pocket. Sometimes I would miss the ball by a hair. So this is why I started aiming 1/8 ball and then just slightly veer when I stroke. It seems its easier to aim 1/8 ball then it is to aim super thin. I don't know. I just want to be the best player in the world someday and I don't want to be going down the wrong path when I could of listen to someone more expierienced then me.:)

Louis Ulrich
05-14-2006, 06:57 PM
and then you just trust your aim and dont veer at all. I'm talking about super thin cuts here as in if you hit it the ball will barely make it to the pocket. Sometimes I would miss the ball by a hair. So this is why I started aiming 1/8 ball and then just slightly veer when I stroke. It seems its easier to aim 1/8 ball then it is to aim super thin. I don't know. I just want to be the best player in the world someday and I don't want to be going down the wrong path when I could of listen to someone more expierienced then me.:)
This type of cut makes for a difficult discussion. You are saying that you have to hit it so thin that it barely makes it to the pocket. First of all, this sounds like a very low percentage shot and probably should only be taken at last resort. If you are going to shoot at it, this is something that you have to visualize for yourself as no one can see through your eyes but you. If you have something that works for you then you should stick with it. When you say that you are veering your stroke, you are probably adding a slight curve to the ball that makes the shot easier for you because you are slightly changing the angle.

I would say practice this shot your way and see if it becomes consistant. It's hard to argue with something that works. If you can't make the shot consistantly, or at least be able to make it enough for the odds to be in your favor when shooting it, then you should try something else.

Cameron Smith
05-14-2006, 07:08 PM
I am new to the boards and it seems ALOT of threads get lost due to people constantly making new ones on the similer subject. I thought it would be a good idea to start making OFFICIAL threads about a particular topic so that way if your question fits that thread you don't have to make a new one. Before I posted this I seen cut shot threads but they were all specifically directed to a certain type of cut shot so hence this thread. Any question about any cut shot can be posted here. If you don't like the idea then its no sweat off my back so either way heres my question about a cut shot.:p

On long, thin cut shots I have been aiming about an 1/8 ball or so and then when I pull the trigger I veer my aim slightly to the left or right to make the super thin cut. The results seem benificial for now but I'm afraid I am getting into a bad habbit. I am a good B player and lately I have been catching gears that I feel are on the A level. Could this technique (although working positive compared to my speed now) hinder me from getting to the highest level on cut shots or at least slow my progression down.? I know it's different flavors for different folks so really I would just like your all's opinion. Thanks.

I can't endorse veering while down on the shot. It just messes up your alignment, and you will likely be putting unintentional spin on the CB or something.

I think you will do better later on if you just learn where the aiming point is.

Furthermore I do think you may be getting into some bad habits, if you veer with this shot which you don't feel comfortable, what about any other shot.

Harvywallbanger
05-14-2006, 07:38 PM
No this is the only type of shot I do it on. Anything else its straight back and forth. OK though maybe I was exagerating by saying so thin it only makes it to the pocket. I guess to explaine it better I just mean long cut shots that the object ball is close to the rail and you have to hit less then 1/8 hit. Whether it be super thin or just barely less then 1/8th I always aim an 1/8th ball hit and then veer or adjust(maybe veer is a strong word) how ever much I feel is needed to make the shot on the final stroke. Thanks for the opinions so far by the way. Lately I have been trying to hone in on my aiming by just shooting spot shots and long straight in shots while blocking the pocket a little. This has improved my all around shot making ability so once I get deadly with my long straight in shot( consistantly making it while blocking the pocket severly) I may find out that this long thin cut shot will become clearer to me since my aiming will be much better. I don't have a problem with this shot as is but like I said I just don't want to get into a method that will hinder my improvement later on.