PDA

View Full Version : Removing shims

xianmacx
05-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Hello everyone,

I know it would be tough to ADD shims to a precovered table but how about remove them.... The foot pockets on my gold crown were triple shimmed and I would like to remove some of the shims. Whats it take to remove a shim? Just un staple, cut off a shim?, then restaple with the extra slack?

Thanks in advance.

Ian.
________
growing marijuana (http://growingmedicalmarijuana.org)

mnShooter
05-15-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm pretty sure you can do this if you have enough cloth. I would get someone who knows how to do corners good though.

xianmacx
05-15-2006, 10:44 PM
please.....hopefully some of the table mechanics will give some input.

Thanks again,
Ian
________
NH series (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_NH_series)

Scott Lee
05-15-2006, 10:55 PM
I'd say this would be tough. Usually the cloth is cut with a razor blade after the corners are done. It would be a lot more difficult to restaple over the shim, afterwards, because there wouldn't be enough cloth to grab onto, to stretch and staple. Maybe if you used pliers to pull the cloth... If it were me, I'd just get another piece of cloth and redo the rail. You only need a 6" width. Maybe the pro mechanics will answer differently...:rolleyes:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

SlateHumper
05-16-2006, 08:11 AM
I'd say this would be tough. Usually the cloth is cut with a razor blade after the corners are done. It would be a lot more difficult to restaple over the shim, afterwards, because there wouldn't be enough cloth to grab onto, to stretch and staple. Maybe if you used pliers to pull the cloth... If it were me, I'd just get another piece of cloth and redo the rail. You only need a 6" width. Maybe the pro mechanics will answer differently...:rolleyes:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott is right on the money. Rail cloth is fairly cheap. Upholstering the rail neatly is another issue( for someone not proficient at it) The "shims" are called facings and are usually 1/8 to 3/16 thick. Narrowing pocket openings can be achieved two ways. 1) stack multiple facings on top of each other equally on each of the rails of the pocket opening. 2) using a thicker material ie: thicker rubber or pieces of conveyor belt ect. Facings are typically glued on with contact cement and should pull apart easily. I have seen them stapled before. Some thing to consider....to keep all measurements consistent, you will have to get into ALL SIX rails at the corners.

NineBallNut
05-16-2006, 08:44 AM
I agree, this would be tough for someone not used to doing rail work to pull of and make look good. In theory however it can be done. I just finished doing that on a friends table. It was time consuming and would not be cost effective for a mechanic to do. I could have stripped the rails and reclothed in less time but you gotta do what the customer wants.