PDA

View Full Version : Best cue for a beginner

flyers
05-15-2006, 06:40 PM
I am looking to buy my first cue but I have no idea what would be best for me. I have only played casually in the past using the crappy cues at bars. I am getting my table in a couple weeks and wanted suggestions on a good cue to get me started learning the game. Or should I stick with the 2-piece cues that came in the play package? Thanks!

PoolSleuth
05-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Lucasi or Duffrin made in Canada.

alstl
05-15-2006, 07:54 PM
I was in the same situation as you a year ago. My advice would be to start with an inexpensive cue. Instead of going to bars go to a pool hall if they have any in your area and try to hit with some of the cues they have for sale. Talk to some of the players and see if they will let you hit a few balls with their cue, or ask them if they have any cues for sale. You would be surprised how many cues change hands in a pool hall.

I finally bought a Schon and I don't regret it, but before you spend a lot of money on a cue I would recommend buying something less expensive until you get a chance to hit with enough cues to give you an idea what you want. If you get a cue that rolls straight your game will improve from the average warped house cue.

It's George Old Owner
05-15-2006, 08:11 PM
MCD, Viking, Lucasi etc..since it's ur 1st, just pick any n try em!

Black Cat 5791
05-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Predator Sneaky Pete Wood to Wood joint no wrap, 314 shaft, 19oz. Moori soft tip dime radius.

You start with this I garuntee you won't be sorry, this setup is affordable and dollar for dollar the most performance and quality to boot.

You may never want to make a change this setup will work and last a lifetime with the exception of replacing tips.

When you want something a little more fancy, you'll have the entire Predator line to choose from. If they don't suit your fancy you can get any cue that you can afford, and have a Predator Shaft fitted for it.

Good luck on your choice.

Black Cat:cool:

5ballcharlie
05-15-2006, 09:45 PM
I am looking to buy my first cue but I have no idea what would be best for me. I have only played casually in the past using the crappy cues at bars. I am getting my table in a couple weeks and wanted suggestions on a good cue to get me started learning the game. Or should I stick with the 2-piece cues that came in the play package? Thanks!
get a cheap lucassi or players cue. Chances are that you will either burn out and quit playing or get angry and bust it over the table.

Mystick Cue Fan
05-15-2006, 09:45 PM
See if there are any local cuemakers in your area. And buy a sneaky from him. I know the local guy here charges 150 for a sneaky, which isn't too much. So FWIW I'd try this first. And you might play with the cue your whole life.

Tony

rackem
05-15-2006, 11:12 PM

I highly reccomend one of these. The ebay listing has ended. I still have a few left. They are great cues for the money. I play with one myself as my bar cue. Your satisfaction is guaranteed.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7239784665&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUS%3AIT&rd=1 Please anyone PM me if Interested.

deadstroke7
05-16-2006, 05:45 AM
I vote for the Predator sneaky pete. Totally agree that it is the best for the $$. Stay with what you can afford and don't invest a lot of money in a cue if it is just going to sit in a case in your closet. As with anything, you can buy anything you can afford and the prices are as much or little as you want, but the predator Sneaky is a great cue for the $$.

BazookaJoe
05-16-2006, 06:09 AM
I like the balance.
Good shaft wood.
You can get a plain one for $200 brand new.

I have had one for quite a while, I've tried others, and I keep going back to my Falcon.

TSW
05-16-2006, 07:27 AM
Southwest - classic style, good playability, high resale value. :o

Snorks
05-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Depends on price range. Some suggestions based on price are:

100-200 - Lucasi, Falcon, Joss, Viking, Dufferin
200-400 - Predator
400-600 - Schon, Custom (Judd),

Matt_24
05-16-2006, 08:18 AM
Learn to play with a housestick. Once you develop a stroke, and a sense of how to pocket/run balls with some level of consistency then buy a two piece cue. I also agree with purchasing a Predator Sneaky pete.

zeeder
05-16-2006, 09:25 AM
If I were you I'd get a nice Gus or Barry Szamboti that way you're ahead of the game...lol. :D :D :D :p

In all seriousness though, I started out with a $40 Dufferin but if you want to spend a bit more you could try a McDermott, Joss, or another inexpesive production cue. Along those same lines you could also get an inexpensive custom sneaky or plane jane in the $250-400 range.

runscott
05-16-2006, 09:42 AM
I started with a Lucasi, added a 314 shaft, then wandered through some custom cues. If I had it to do over again I would buy a Bob Frey or Carmelli Sneaky Pete, then move into other areas to experiment. I think that coco Nitti SP in the 'Want' forum would probably be a good starter cue for $300 - it has a thin joint, but I don't know why that would matter. The cost of a nice SP (Predator,Frey,etc.) at $300 seems high for a starter cue, but 2 years from now you will think that number is nothing. Also, keep in mind that a SP from a custom maker should hit as good as their high-end cues.

The Lucasi with a 314 was a good combination, but you might as well get a Predator cue since the butt is made for the shaft and the total cost would be about the same (and who needs the extra Lucasi shaft).

BrooklynJay
05-16-2006, 10:08 AM
I like the idea of spending a little more now and getting a cue that you can grow with rather than getting a crappier cue for less and having to replace it later. There's plenty of custom cuemakers offering a cue that I'd consider a cut above the production stuff out there. A Frey SP vs. a production Joss, Predator or McDermott...I'd go with the Frey.

deadstroke7
05-16-2006, 10:15 AM
As with anything, the sky is the limit when it comes to cues. Custom vs production, shafts, tips, weights, etc. As you progress in the game or your love of the game, you can always move up in cues. Start with the preditor and when you win the next big tourny, upgrade.

There has never been a shot I could blame on the cue.

tom haney
05-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Southwest - classic style, good playability, high resale value. :o

Excellent advice for the beginner.

tjlmbklr
05-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Predator Sneaky Pete Wood to Wood joint no wrap, 314 shaft, 19oz. Moori soft tip dime radius.

Hey Black Cat 5791, I had this same cue exact cue that is. Are you the one that bought it from me on ebay. And yes it was a great playing cue, kinda wish i would've trained myself on the standard 58" cues insted of upgrading to 60". Now I am committed.

ATH
05-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Get a cheap Falcon or McDermott, one without any inlays. That way you get a quality stick without the price.

JoeyInCali
05-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Maybe just get a SW "inspired" cue? :eek: :D

TSW
05-16-2006, 02:50 PM

He'll be the envy of all the other beginners!

gforces1911
05-16-2006, 03:07 PM

I agree, but I would add that I would try to get one that has inlays. This way, all the other beginners with THEIR SWs will know their place.

stick8
05-16-2006, 03:18 PM
I agree, but I would add that I would try to get one that has inlays. This way, all the other beginners with THEIR SWs will know their place.
i cant belive none of you pro said a cuetex, two world champs shoot with them, and also they are hard to ding, I started my grandsone on cutex and also the break stick with the promise when he got serious with the game i would up grade, well he progressed so well, it was not long before i had my friend and cue maker, mike gullasy to make him a custom stick with his name on it everyone is happy!!! good luck STICK:D :D :D :D

Merlinium
05-16-2006, 09:14 PM
I play with a Mezz cue with a predator 314 shaft and I really like it, I have not heard anyone badmouth Mezz cues and the predator shaft is very good.

DelaWho???
05-17-2006, 03:36 AM
I started with a low end McDermott. I had played with a Viper cue before that (it was what prompted me to get my own cue). I got the McDermott for $140 with a hard case and it is a real nice hitting cue withgreat balance (way better than the Viper). I would put Player, Action, Viper and 5280 in the same class (5280's just fancier)

As for a Cuetec they are tough, and I break with one......If you look around on the internet you can probably get one for free......That's how I got mine

McCue Banger McCue

juanbond
05-17-2006, 04:07 AM
As for a Cuetec they are tough, and I break with one......If you look around on the internet you can probably get one for free......

Wow, really? Care to give any hints as to where to look for such a deal (if you can even call it that) ??? Did it come free with the purchase of something else? I'm confused... :confused:

deadstroke32
05-17-2006, 04:16 AM

I see all the post to your question .What r u lookin to spend ? what have u looked at so far ? what weight ? a lot of question to help u on the way . But i will add my 2 cents > "spend 250 go custom and have fun ..
U can get something nice cheap and have fun at home and at the bar ...Good luck ,

Matt_24
05-17-2006, 04:46 AM
Why not just start with a broomstick. Learn to run balls with it. Then...when a champion comes in he/she will see you hitting balls with it, and you can look at them with a cocky grin and say, "I'll play YOU with a broomstick." and watch as they decline in utter fear. Heck...you'll be the envy of the poolroom. That is what I would do, if I could start back over.

Seriously....most good players I know of started playing with just a housestick...and learned their fundamentals first. Don't waste any money on a cue if you decide you don't have the desire to progress, and then you won't throw any money away. I could break and run a rack of 9 ball before I bought my first cue. I knew a few good players who shot with nothing but a housecue...and shot so good you would have wanted to buy a beat up Dufferin in the hopes it would make you shoot like them.

But, if you have to buy a cue...then just drop 10K on a Ginacue and be done with it. (There I go joking again........or am I?) You might suck, but you'll look good dogging it.

tedkaufman
05-17-2006, 07:12 AM
I've been shopping around for a bar cue to use where I don't want use my precious Southwests. I tried two cues recently that were really inexpensive and very servicable.

First was a Kaiser that is a pretty good knockoff of the classic Southwest design. It was nicely balanced, solid and provided darn good feedback. It featured a pin something like the Southwest and had a flat faced joint and fiber rings. Frankly, I was amazed that a cue like this could be had for so little. I've seen them on the web for $150.

A few days ago I was at a dealer's showroom and was talking to my friend who works there. I told him what I was looking for and he said try this Lucasi. It has a cocobolo front and butt plate and curly maple handle. Exactly what I was looking for. It also had a Uni-lock quick release joint. This cue also hit very nicely. I could easily play with it. In fact, I went back to hit it several times because I didn't believe it played as well as I first thought. This model lists for $240, but he would give it to me for $130, which means with a little shopping on the web, it's probably available for about $175. He also had a Lucasi SP, with Uni-lock, for about 1/2 that price. I also tried a couple of classic piloted steel joint models, which had a more forward balance and a less pleasing (to my taste) hit.

On balance, though, I could play with any of these cues and not feel compromised. I'm really amazed at the kind of cue you can buy these days for so little money. If I were advising a beginner, I would certainly opt for one of these type cues. Save the investment in a custom cue for when you have a game and understand what you like.

ShaneT58
05-17-2006, 07:56 AM
I know a few people that have picked up a Lucasi as there first cue and are very happy with it. Whatever you end up buying, please make sure that it at least has a wood shaft.

Cardinal2B
05-17-2006, 12:31 PM
I know a few people that have picked up a Lucasi as there first cue and are very happy with it. Whatever you end up buying, please make sure that it at least has a wood shaft.

Yeah, I would use wood (as opposed to plastics, composties, etc.). And, no reason to pay now for a custom, especially as you don't know what you like yet (and there's a LOT of things to specify - weight, balance point, shaft taper, shaft diameter, ferrule material, joint type & material, tip, woods, grip - linen/leather/none, etc. - and then, there's the jewelry you want, rings, points, inlays, yada, yada). Wait.

A cheap sneaky-pete, or plain jane McDermott, Lucasi, Joss would be fine. You can get a very decent playing cue in the $100-150 range. Lucasi sneaky is about $120 on the 'net, for example - though I am not a big fain of Uni-Lock joint.

Need to spend even less? A Dufferin SP is about $80. Essentially equivalent to taking a house cue, chopping it in half, inserting a pin, and...oh, wait, that is a sneaky-pete. :eek: ..but you always get to use the same one instead of various house cues.