PDA

View Full Version : BCA Open - Some of What I've seen

sjm
05-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Sharing some of what I saw Monday form the women's draw ------

Paglia's win over Karen Corr was the big story of the day, and Angel was very sharp in this one.

Melissa Little had Allison Fisher in big trouble, ahead by 6 - 2, but Allison ralied to win the next few racks, to go up 7 - 6. When Little missed a seven ball where she appeared about to tie it 7 - 7, that was it, with Allison prevailing by 9 - 6. Vintage Allison down the stretch.

Wendy Jans played outstanding pool in trouncing Tiffany Nelson. Jans made an amost impossible runout at 5 - 2 and coasted after what I thought was the defining rack of the match.

All this aside, the lasting impression for me was watching Jasmin Ouschan's incredible effort in a 9 - 0 dismantling of Alice Rim. Ouschan's game has developed since last year, and I see her playing with far more attention to detail than ever before. It's difficult to know whether Jasmin can sustain this level of play, but if she can, she's among those with a chance to win this title.

On the men's side:

Hopkins had a 10 - 1 lead on Reyes and had numerous chances to close it out. Reyes got it to 10 - 10, but when Efren scratched on the double hill break it appeared Allen would escape. As there was a cluster on the table, Allen opted for a one nine combo, a shot I reckon he should make two times out of three, but hit it poorly. Reyes still had a tough run to negotiate with a cluster to break out along the way, but rose to the occasion for the shocking comeback win, 11 - 10.

Roschkowski vs Immonen was a good one. Each had some issues with their break, but they really played like champions up to 7 - 7. A couple of uncharacteristic erros by Mika down the stretch , a missed eight ball in particular, ended up costing Mika the match, with Roschkowskli a deserving winner.

Hohmann didn't showed his best against Ernesto Dominguez, but played well enough to get through in a match not really as close as the 11 - 9 score would suggest.

My first look at Kuo was uninspiring. He was very sloppy in his 11 - 8 win over Tony Robles, who never really got started in that match. Pei Wei Chang has a lot of game, and Satoshi Kawabata is playing great pool. I didn't get to catch Dennis Orcullo, but hope to see him play Reyes today.

Don't expect too many updates, as I don't have a laptop. I'm posting from a lobby kiosk at the Riviera. Still, I'll do what I can.

sniper
05-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Sharing some of what I saw Monday form the women's draw ------

Paglia's win over Karen Corr was the big story of the day, and Angel was very sharp in this one.

Melissa Little had Allison Fisher in big trouble, ahead by 6 - 2, but Allison ralied to win the next few racks, to go up 7 - 6. When Little missed a seven ball where she appeared about to tie it 7 - 7, that was it, with Allison prevailing by 9 - 6. Vintage Allison down the stretch.

Wendy Jans played outstanding pool in trouncing Tiffany Nelson. Jans made an amost impossible runout at 5 - 2 and coasted after what I thought was the defining rack of the match.

All this aside, the lasting impression for me was watching Jasmin Ouschan's incredible effort in a 9 - 0 dismantling of Alice Rim. Ouschan's game has developed since last year, and I see her playing with far more attention to detail than ever before. It's difficult to know whether Jasmin can sustain this level of play, but if she can, she's among those with a chance to win this title.

A quick look at the brackets would certainly indicate the younger ladies are ready to make their move, something I would attribute to them having a little more experience now on the WPBA. The crop of great players under 25 is great for the future of the WPBA IMO, the most exciting of these young players has to be the young Austrian Jasmin Ouschan, damn can this girl shoot! More impessive than her skill, has to be her attitude and willingness to improve, a trait that boldly reminds me of Thorsten Hohmann in his earlier pre-WPC days. The sky is truly the limit for her and the others as well, it will be very interesting to see how this crop of young players performs the rest of the week.

vagabond
05-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Don't expect too many updates, as I don't have a laptop. I'm posting from a lobby kiosk at the Riviera. Still, I'll do what I can.

You gave an excellent synopsis and that should be good enough for any information hungry couch potatos.

lewdo26
05-16-2006, 10:29 AM
You gave an excellent synopsis and that should be good enough for any information hungry couch potatos.Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the effort, sjm! I've never seen Orcullo play, and I'm terribly jealous. Enjoy!

Subsonic2u
05-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanx for the update for all of us :( stuck at home. Can't wait for more news. I've been watching the brackets and must agree, the big shocker was to see Karen Corr's loss :eek: in the 2nd round. Charlie

Njhustler1
05-16-2006, 11:20 AM
t minus 6 hours til boarding. can't wait.

zeeder
05-16-2006, 11:36 AM
t minus 6 hours til boarding. can't wait.

t minus 95.5 hours 'til bording for me, but I'm not going to vegas...lol.

Colin Colenso
05-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks sjm,
Looking forward to some more reports / insights when you get the chance.

rackmsuckr
05-16-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks SJM, I have been stuck on the amateur side so far and have been meaning to meet you. Today, we went shopping and are having a birthday BBQ, and teams start tomorrow. Look me up if you get the chance - in the open - Voodoo Dolls.

Who is the new young Asian pro called Yung Yung or Yum Yum? Is he Taiwanese or Philipino? I saw him pointed out and he was wearing a red polo shirt with lots of logos.

brock
05-17-2006, 03:24 AM
hey SJM, i will bring you my laptop if you know how to work it???? you can call me around 10 or 11 wenesday at 713-203-8386, if you see a ZZ Top looking rif-faff dude that might be me!!!! Brock

daake0266
05-17-2006, 03:40 AM
Who is the new young Asian pro called Yung Yung or Yum Yum? Is he Taiwanese or Philipino? I saw him pointed out and he was wearing a red polo shirt with lots of logos.

King-Chui Yu? He and Chen-Man Lee are both from Hong Kong.

spadevil
05-17-2006, 03:48 AM
Any brackets for the Masters and Open?

I heard Mick Hill (UK) bt Karl Boyes (UK) in the Open final and Daren Appleton won the Masters event.

cuechick
05-17-2006, 06:02 AM
I have looked at the BCA website and can not find any info about the amatuer competion AT ALL, very frustrating!

BlowFish
05-17-2006, 10:00 AM
King-Chui Yu? He and Chen-Man Lee are both from Hong Kong.

Both are definitely from HK. King-Chui Yu is most likely a snooker player, but Chen-Man "Bobby" Lee is a poolplayer and sponsored by HK Pool Club. Bobby is an IPT'er as well.

PROG8R
05-17-2006, 10:45 AM
I have looked at the BCA website and can not find any info about the amatuer competion AT ALL, very frustrating!
Their website pretty much sucks when it comes to being able to track the competition.

lewdo26
05-17-2006, 11:00 AM
The brackets here on AZ are wrong. Robles will play Engert instead of Mika Immonen.

sjm
05-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Women's Draw:

The Fishers were the story on Tuesday.

Allison Fisher lost the safety battle in the double hill rack with Pan, who face what I'd call an 80% runout, but when Pan faltered, Allison ran out.

Megan Minerich had a surprisingly easy time with Kelly Fisher and had a chance to run out for a 9-5 victry, but when she faltered, Kelly dug down deep to pull it out 9-8.

Pan had company, as it was a very tough day for two other up and comers, too.

Ouschan scratched while pocketing a ball in each of the first two racks to fall 2-0 down to Herndon, and not long after that, it was 4-0 Herndon. Ouschan rallied and was even at 5-5, but Herndon played exceptional pool down the stretch for a well deserved 9-5 victory. Ouschan's speed control was generally poor throughout the match, and it cost her big time.

Wendy Jans had her chances against Jennifer Chen. Three balls from going up 5-2, she had a very careless scratch on a 7 ball, and the match turned. A missed eight ball could have gotten Jans to 6-6, but the error proved costly, and Chen cruised from there for the 9-5 win.

sjm
05-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Archer vs Kuo was magnficent. Here's how it went. JA is Archer, PK is Po Cheng Kuo. Two great players playing at an extremely high level.

1. JA miss of a 4 leaves it hanging but PK has to jump it in even though it's deep in the pocket. PK is up to it, making a fantastic shot, and runs out PK 1-0
2. PK break and run, PK 2-0
3. JA misses makable mnasse on 3 ball, leading to safety battle, controlled and won by PK, PK 3-0.
4. Poor push by PK given back by JA and PK unable to excute safety, selling out. PK 3-1
5. JA break and run, PK 3-2.
6. Fine shot on the 2 by PK, but unlucky scratch sells out. 3-3
7. Dry break by JA leaves good chance for PK, but he fails to run out, so JA 4-3.
8. PK break and run, 4-4.
9. JA break and run, JA 5-4
10. PK break and run, 5-5
11. Dry break by JA but PK misses 2, sells out, JA 6-5.
12. JA makes a magnificent jump in of 1 after dry break by PK. Shot of the match! JA 7-5.
13. JA break and run, JA 8-5
14. PK break and run, JA 8-6
15. JA break and run. JA 9-6.
16. PK break s them well, but a shocking miss of an easy 2 ball sells out. JA 10-6
17. JA break and run ens the match, 11-6

This was Archer at his very best!

In other men's action, Charlie Williams played near flawless pool in building a 9-3 lead over Shawn Putnam and cruised to victory.

That's all for now!

Tim-n-NM
05-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks for all that you do for this forum.

We love the updates.

Tim.

sniper
05-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Sounds like it was a hell of a match by JA and PK, would've made for a great finals but considering the talent of the field competing you know the finals are going to be great reguardless of who's there.

cuechick
05-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Great reporting SJM, thanks!!

Look forward to more. Are Gina and Caroline completly absent or are they playing in the amateur event?

sjm
05-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Great reporting SJM, thanks!!

Look forward to more. Are Gina and Caroline completly absent or are they playing in the amateur event?

Caroline Pao was on the winning scotch doubles team with Howie Rubin and finshed second in the master singles.

Gina Kim-Lipsky and her husband Steve Lipsky came 4th in the scotch doubles.

The New York city gang is holding its own in the amateurs so far! Congratulations to them.

time_is_now
05-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Caroline Pao was on the winning scotch doubles team with Howie Rubin and finshed second in the master singles.

The New York city gang is holding its own in the amateurs so far! Congratulations to them.
any big action games up there?

Barbara
05-17-2006, 11:37 AM

Wow!! And they still have their team event coming up!!

Barbara

time_is_now
05-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Wow!! And they still have their team event coming up!!

Barbara
where do they have amateur results posted at?

TheOne
05-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I see Ralph play Corey next round. I remember the last time they played in NY, not only did corey stop Ralphs cb when he practised a lag but he also spent what seemed like ages checking Ralphs rack at hill-hill. Complete gamesmanship and the first tack of the match he'd checked of course. Needless to say Ralph was livid after Corey fluked the 9 ball to win 11-10!

Not only did Ralph vow never to play him again without a Referee but also that he'd hit him if he did it again lol!

SJM, make sure you watch this one, I know you love watching Ralph anyway.

PS
Fellow Brits and friends Lee Chenman and Toncy C play each other on the losers side and my old mate Dave R from Sydney spanked Santos 11-3!!! :eek:

Well played Dave!

PPS
Has Efren won the BCA Open before?

9BallBust-O
05-17-2006, 12:46 PM
GO COREY!!! BUST EM and TAKE EM DOWN!!! Hope to see you at #1.

cuechick
05-17-2006, 01:24 PM

I am so so so proud of Caroline :D, and she and Howie won the Masters Scotch Doubles I am presuming? That is great for Steve and Gina too. Do Caroline and Gina have a women's team too?

Barbara
05-17-2006, 01:39 PM
I am so so so proud of Caroline :D, and she and Howie won the Masters Scotch Doubles I am presuming? That is great for Steve and Gina too. Do Caroline and Gina have a women's team too?

Oh this was hilarious! At my last event in April for a BCA Qualifier it was down to Pam vs Caroline for it in the finals. Now Gina's all upset because if Caroline wins the Q, her team is screwed. So during the finals a certain someone called up Gina and was reporting a fictitious score that Caroline was on the hill and was basically messing with Gina. I was laughing so hard I screwed up and laughed out loud and blew it!

I'm not sure who else is on their team, but it should be a good one!

Barbara

cuechick
05-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Oh this was hilarious! At my last event in April for a BCA Qualifier it was down to Pam vs Caroline for it in the finals. Barbara

Now that you say that, I don't remember seeing Pam Treadway on the pro chart? Maybe I just missed her?

Who won the woman's Masters?

Scott Lee
05-17-2006, 06:41 PM

cuechick...I agree with you...Except for one thing. Caroline Pao should be playing in the women's masters singles as well, not the open event. She beat out a student of mine, to put her out at 7th/8th! jmo

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

cuechick
05-17-2006, 07:07 PM
According to this report from SJM she did play in the masters..

But I was wondering why she was playing in the masters cause the last time she played she was still in the Open. I agree she should be in there but if SJM was mistaken, it makes more sense.

sjm
05-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Just a few tidbits from Kim Davenport vs Pei Wei Chang - despite not having a single break and run in the entire match, Davenport fought the good fight and was four balls from 9 - 9 when he missed an easy five. It turned out to be the very last shot he hit ibn this event, as Chang broke and ran the next one for the 11-8 win. It was a strange match featuring shaky offensive execution but stellar defense and kicking.

Watching Varner vs. Hopkins, some twenty eight years after the first time I saw them play against each other (of course, it was straight pool back then), was a treat, but the match wasn't especially interesting, with Varner moving on.

Karen Corr vs Tracie Hines was even less interesting as Karen, for the first time in the event, looked like the #2 player in the world. Of course, the great ones get stronger as any event wears on, so no real surprise here.

Jeanette Lee vs Loree Jon Jones was a good watch. Lee missed a three ball with a chance to go up 7 - 2, and not long after that, they were knotted at 7-7. Lee played well in the last two racks for the 9-7 win.

Enjoyed watching Charlie "Hillbilly" Bryant. I only saw the later stages, but the Hillbilly won over Wilkinson, as always, with style.

Max Eberle seems to have turned it around and now appears to be playing well.

In the view of this AZ Poster, Archer, Hohmann, abnd Souquet are showing the strongest from to this point in the men's draw.

The women's draw is a little tougher to call, but Allison Fisher and Kelly fisher have struggled a bit. Hofstatter seems to be playing well, but nobody appears to be in their strongest from, and tonight should clarify what's going on with the women.

Pjadedd
05-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks, SJM for all your updates. It's nice checking the brackets, but it's even better having reports about what actually happens, seeing that the scores don't always tell the exact story.

PJ

sjm
05-18-2006, 01:17 AM
I'm out of gas, but before I go to sleep, I'll note that Corr leads Calhoun by 6-5, Varner is on the hill with a big lead and every other match has finished.

This was a great session!

On the men's side, Deuel vs Souquet was a classic. The play was only ordinary up to 5-5, but both caught a stroke simultaneously, and the next nine racks had a break and run. A two-man nine pack that gave Deuel a 10-9 lead, but Souquet leveled and surely Deuel would close it out with what would be his sixth straight break and run. Right? Wrong! Deuel made a ball on the break, but had to bank the one cross side and missed it. Ralf's runout sealed the deal, 11-10. What a match!

Equally exciting was Williams vs Hohmann, where a missed nine ball by Thorsten gave Williams some breathing room, making it 6-4 instead of 5-5. Charlie hung the five at 9-7, however, and Thorsten managed to get it to double hill. Charlie owned the double hill break, and played well but missed shape on the nine and had to play a very missable shot. charlie hit it superbly, though, for a well-deserved 11-10 victory.

Archer continues to play great, but trailed in the early stages against Parica before finding his best game, after which he was brilliant.

Putnam vs Pei Wei chang was a great disappointment, in which neither played well, but Chang had a little more form late in the match and got through.

On the women's side, Shin Mei Liu continues to play very consistently, as she showed in a convincing win over Kelly Fisher. Allison Fisher played well, though Jennifer chen was way off her form in an uninspiring blowout win for Allison.

Ouschan vs Dawn Hopkins was a great one. Hopkins played superbly all the way up to 8-5, but a bad roll in the 8-6 rack ensured the match would go double hill. Hopkins owned the break, and broke them well, but missed the one and Ouschan ran out for the memorable comeback win.

An exceptional effort was turned in by Pam Treadway against an in-form Wendy Jans. Trailing 5-2, Pam played her way back into the match with a superb long bank of the six ball, and played beautiful pool from that point forward to secure the win.

Finally, Jeanette Lee had a fairly easy go of it against Rousey, and Ellerby was exceptional in eliminating Barretta, and Tiffany Nelson was rock solid in a blowout win over Julie Kelly.

I think I'll go to sleep!

Nostroke
05-18-2006, 01:57 AM
According to this report from SJM she did play in the masters..

But I was wondering why she was playing in the masters cause the last time she played she was still in the Open. I agree she should be in there but if SJM was mistaken, it makes more sense.

Hey Cuechick

Caroline was in the Open-Why do you think she should have been in the Masters? Aren't there specific rules on that?

I dont know who won Masters btw.

Jimmy M.
05-18-2006, 03:12 AM
Are you still here, sjm? I don't know what you look like so I don't know how to find you. Meiko just got here today so I'm sure she'll say hi if she sees you.

TheOne
05-18-2006, 03:33 AM
Are you still here, sjm? I don't know what you look like so I don't know how to find you. Meiko just got here today so I'm sure she'll say hi if she sees you.

How did you go in the masters bbj?

cuechick
05-18-2006, 05:34 AM
Hey Cuechick

Caroline was in the Open-Why do you think she should have been in the Masters? Aren't there specific rules on that?

I dont know who won Masters btw.

Only because that was what SJM originally reported that she had won...
I know now he was mistaken. You are suppose to have finished in the the top 30 I think to become a "Master" but they made both Kelly Fisher and Kim Shaw play in the masters, so I thought maybe because of Caroline's NEWT Tour win she was put into the Masters too....?

mscue
05-18-2006, 06:45 AM
The open players are people who haven't placed higher than 30. I'm not sure how the BCA determines someone who is known but hasn't played in the BCA before. Just as a note, Sharon Weis also played in the Open. I believe Caroline beat her for 5/6th...

beetle
05-18-2006, 07:24 AM
An exceptional effort was turned in by Pam Treadway against an in-form Wendy Jans. Trailing 5-2, Pam played her way back into the match with a superb long bank of the six ball, and played beautiful pool from that point forward to secure the win.

Thanks for the great updates, SJM! Those of us around here know Pam Treadway's abilities well. She has been dominating most tournaments locally. She is definitely someone to watch out for after she gets a little more professional tournament experience.

Barbara
05-18-2006, 08:39 AM
The open players are people who haven't placed higher than 30. I'm not sure how the BCA determines someone who is known but hasn't played in the BCA before. Just as a note, Sharon Weis also played in the Open. I believe Caroline beat her for 5/6th...

It's all very subjective.

When Kim Shaw entered the 8-ball Open field, John Lewis took her out and placed her in the Masters division. I asked John why he did that and he said that because she was a snooker player and he researched her tournament finishes. Of course, Kim went on to win the Masters singles.

I'm surprised Caroline wasn't in the Masters singles, too. Hasn't finished in the top 17 in the Open which then moves you up to the Masters division?

Barbara

akaTrigger
05-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Just back from Vegas. I'm exhausted. :)

If you place the top 4% in the open, you are moved up to Master's. However, the BCA can move you up to Master's or Grand Master's based on your history by their discretion. For instance, Tara McCracken was placed in the Grand Master's without ever finishing high in the Open, so she challenged it and was dropped to the Master's. By the way, her and Gordy Van DerVeer placed 2nd in the Master Scotch Doubles!

Caroline Pao played in the open division and placed 2nd in the singles and first in the Scotch Doubles. Because of her success on the NEWT tour, I heard several people say they thought she should have been in the Master's.

I'd like to send a shout out to a poster here, Shayla Neris, who placed 3rd in the Open Scotch Doubles with her boyfriend Corey Dordek. Congrat's, Shayla, on a great finish!

-Melinda

Barbara
05-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Well if she finished 2nd in the Open, she'll be in the Masters next year for sure!

Welcome back Melinda!

Barbara

akaTrigger
05-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Welcome back Melinda!

Barbara

Thanks, Barbara.

By the way, someone asked about results - I haven't ever seen any results on the BCA website until after the event, but a friend of mine found a gallery with all the top finishers:

http://www.bcapl.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4

Even though most of the names are misspelled, it's still cool to see that these players placed high (most of the top two or three received a plaque). I just wish it stated which finish the person in the photo placed.

Melinda

lewdo26
05-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks again, sjm. We're always looking forward to more of your detailed reports. Looks like when you come back to New York, you'll have some sleeping to do! And I don't blame ya.

cuechick
05-18-2006, 01:36 PM
] Just as a note, Sharon Weis also played in the Open. I believe Caroline beat her for 5/6th...
Well that is just crazy, she was a tourning pro! She most definitely should have had to play in the Masters!

sjm
05-18-2006, 06:16 PM
This thread has gone way off topic. I started it so I could keep you advised of what's going on in the pro event, but it seems to have turned into a thread about the amateur events, which I'm not following.

Consider this thread closed from my vantage point. I'll start a new thread about the pro event and, hopefully, it will stay on topic.

sjm
This thread has gone way off topic. I started it so I could keep you advised of what's going on in the pro event, but it seems to have turned into a thread about the amateur events, which I'm not following.

Consider this thread closed from my vantage point. I'll start a new thread about the pro event and, hopefully, it will stay on topic.

Nostroke
Well that is just crazy, she was a tourning pro! She most definitely should have had to play in the Masters!

The Ny girls won their first match vs Jane Fujinaga's team and no Caroline has never finished in the top 16 in the Open so she was in the proper division. Next year the Masters for Caroline.

cuechick
05-18-2006, 06:31 PM
The Ny girls won their first match vs Jane Fujinaga's team and no Caroline has never finished in the top 16 in the Open so she was in the proper division. Next year the Masters for Caroline.

Hey Davy, who else is on that team besides Caroline and Gina?

mikeiniowa
05-18-2006, 08:58 PM
oh come on now. based on known ability she should been a master. maybe a grand master. the local league operators have a duty to protect the integrity of the national leqgue system.

it seems every year somebody is stealing and I don't blame the players but the league.

Caroline has never finished in the top 16 in the Open so she was in the proper division. Next year the Masters for Caroline.[/QUOTE]

Scott Lee
05-19-2006, 02:48 PM
I agree with Mike. Because of Caroline's skill level (which is close to Pam Treadway, who played in the pro division), and her high finishes in several east coast events, she should have had to play in the master's division.
Someone let this slip by. Perhaps Mark Griffin will comment...

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Johnnyt
05-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Does anyone know if this is a true double elimination? = They have to beat Allision twice. Thank you. Johnnyt.

AzHousePro
05-19-2006, 06:42 PM
No, it is one race to 7.

Mike

Nostroke
05-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Hey Davy, who else is on that team besides Caroline and Gina?

Sharon, Supedra (sp?) Heather and the last girl i dont know.

juanbond
05-20-2006, 02:03 AM
What time do the finals get started for mens & womens?

I'm wayyyy overseas, and relying on this board for the play by play on these matches... Great job so far with the coverage!