PDA

View Full Version : How do I get that killer instinct???

Mystick Cue Fan
05-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Everytime I gamble heads up with someone I shouldn't ever lose to I break even. I always, I mean always get up on them early and then start to lose my lead. I match up pretty conservitively, I know who I can and can't beat. So I always play players I should consistently beat, but I seem to always give up the lead. I was playing a guy races to 5 for 20. All night and ended up 5 sets ahead. Then we bump it to 7 for 50 and I lose 2 in a row. I just didn't have the killer instinct to stomp on him while he was down. I do this alot in races to. I get up 3-1 in a race to 5 and I end up losing because I just coast and i don't play my hardest. What are some things I can do to get that killer instinct?

Purdman
05-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Maybe you are just one of the good guys! Did I really have to tell you that?
Purdman
Go with your gut feelings buddy. They are usually dead on!

ShootingArts
05-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Bet the money you planned to use to pay bills and eat on. When it really costs you something to lose you will have no problem with finding the killer instinct.

Hu

Everytime I gamble heads up with someone I shouldn't ever lose to I break even. I always, I mean always get up on them early and then start to lose my lead. I match up pretty conservitively, I know who I can and can't beat. So I always play players I should consistently beat, but I seem to always give up the lead. I was playing a guy races to 5 for 20. All night and ended up 5 sets ahead. Then we bump it to 7 for 50 and I lose 2 in a row. I just didn't have the killer instinct to stomp on him while he was down. I do this alot in races to. I get up 3-1 in a race to 5 and I end up losing because I just coast and i don't play my hardest. What are some things I can do to get that killer instinct?

Harvywallbanger
05-17-2006, 11:11 AM

Reread your post! You answered the question for yourself.;)

BlackDragon
05-19-2006, 09:55 AM
You always play players you can beat. You got beaten a lot then you'll have a killer instinct because someone gave it to you without mercy you give it back the same way. I don't think money is that important to you so you can afford to lose what you play for. Youre a fun player and probably a fun guy. Killers are serious. They laugh afterwards. When nobody can see them.

Colin Colenso
05-19-2006, 10:48 AM
I think Killer Instinct is a distraction.

What you need to do is to focus on playing your best game, and maintaining that focus.

pooltchr
05-19-2006, 10:57 AM
I think Killer Instinct is a distraction.

What you need to do is to focus on playing your playing your best game, and maintaining that focus.

I think that is well worth repeating! Make one ball at a time to hold the table....this leads to winning games and holding the break...which leads to winning more matches. Remember, the shot is the same whether is is in the first game of the match or the last. If the shot doesn't change, the only change is in your attitude....which takes us right back to making one shot at a time...
Steve

Cuedog
05-19-2006, 12:50 PM
I agree with the other posts that indicate that shot making and focus is important. What I would add to that is to continue to playing safes at the appropriate times.

Sometimes we get to a point where we feel we have our man and start to take chances that are not high percentage shots. Keep your safe game intertwined with your shots that are intended to pocket balls. That, along with a high regard for each ball played, and I think you will move past that problem in a short time. Good luck,

Gene

Fast Lenny
05-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Read this thread. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=30416&highlight=killer+instinct

cuebuilder
05-19-2006, 02:09 PM
I may be wrong, but what I read is that you play people whom you feel you should beat. There is your problem. You go into the match confident. Maybe a little over confident, and your play suffers for it. Maybe you miss a shot you've made a thousand times and there goes your confidence out the window.
You need to play people whom you think are as good or better than you. This makes you work harder and concentrate more. When you play people that you should beat, there is no self motivation to win because you know you can. Then when you lose to these people, you're devastated. Play the higher skilled players. You will play better yourself and probably win more when you are pushed. Don't try to take the easy way. After all, I was told 45 years ago that you learn from the rack end of the table.
Dave

pete-biker
05-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Play the higher skilled players.

Dave

And i'm saying it again; that's one of the biggest mysteries in pool (or in any other game/sports). If you only play with someone who is better than you how in the hell any game begins? So play with all kinds of players and focus on your own game and learn not only from your mistakes but also from success and mistakes from your opponent.

DaveK
05-19-2006, 02:38 PM
I may be wrong, but what I read is that you play people whom you feel you should beat. There is your problem. You go into the match confident. Maybe a little over confident, and your play suffers for it. Maybe you miss a shot you've made a thousand times and there goes your confidence out the window.
You need to play people whom you think are as good or better than you. This makes you work harder and concentrate more. When you play people that you should beat, there is no self motivation to win because you know you can. Then when you lose to these people, you're devastated. Play the higher skilled players. You will play better yourself and probably win more when you are pushed. Don't try to take the easy way. After all, I was told 45 years ago that you learn from the rack end of the table.
Dave

This tendancy to let up a bit when playing someone thought to be weaker was one of my (many) problems. I solved it by setting a goal prior to the match, and it's working so far (knock on maple) . When I match up against one of the lower players in our league I try to achieve a 'score', say a 9-3 win. Then if I get a few bad rolls or strokes and/or my opponent wins a few there is additional motivation to play better and win, I want to achieve or at least come close to my objective.

another Dave

Mystick Cue Fan
05-19-2006, 05:29 PM
I like all these ideas. I do agree with the over confident part. I do kinda walk in expecting just to walk over all those I match up with. I do beat alot of players I am not "supposed" to beat in tournies but I am too scared to get bitten by the big dog :o I woof at all the young pups who can't play a lick up to those I can spot a ball to. I never bark out for a game when a much stronger player than me is there. I guess I'll have to try. :cool:

Tony

Solartje
05-20-2006, 08:19 AM
i got the same thing.

i always fail to get in the last 16 or last 32, or last 8, or right in the price money, or right outside of my goal .

poolshark52
05-20-2006, 09:26 AM
i think you have to play so better players. it will make you try harder. that is not to say you have to play even, make what you think is a good game, then consintrate on your game.

Johnnyt
05-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Just get married, then it will come natual.:D Johnnyt

tom
05-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Just get married, then it will come natual.:D Johnnyt

:D :D :D :D :D

bruin70
05-20-2006, 04:24 PM
champions/great teams have killer instinct,,,everyone else doesn't. that's why everyone else can only play to the level of their competition. it's not that great players love to win,,,it's that they HATE losing. that's why their personalities are so impossible to deal with on many levels.

you also have to be a great player. "killer instinct" and "only good" players are mutually exclusive terms because how can one have a killer instinct if one cannot execute a good game. if you are "only good" then you can only expect to do the best you can.

visualizing a win to where you will not be denied and executing your plan to achieve it, is left to the very few. champions also have great pride in their game, and this supercedes any thoughts of merely playing well enough to win.

Mystick Cue Fan
05-20-2006, 04:28 PM
champions/great teams have killer instinct,,,everyone else doesn't. that's why everyone else can only play to the level of their competition. it's not that great players love to win,,,it's that they HATE losing. that's why their personalities are so impossible to deal with on many levels.

you also have to be a great player. "killer instinct" and "only good" players are mutually exclusive terms because how can one have a killer instinct if one cannot execute a good game. if you are "only good" then you can only expect to do the best you can.

visualizing a win to where you will not be denied and executing your plan to achieve it, is left to the very few. champions also have great pride in their game, and this supercedes any thoughts of merely playing well enough to win.

I absolutely despise losing in anything. BUt I am actually going to take one of your guy's advice and match up with players I believe to be better than me. I keep playing these bums and losing because I think I've sunken down to their level. maybe I'll start matching up higher. Money won't matter when I play them. I don't want that weighing on my conscience. Well I'll tell you guys how I do.

Tony

bruin70
05-20-2006, 11:01 PM
I absolutely despise losing in anything. BUt I am actually going to take one of your guy's advice and match up with players I believe to be better than me. I keep playing these bums and losing because I think I've sunken down to their level. maybe I'll start matching up higher. Money won't matter when I play them. I don't want that weighing on my conscience. Well I'll tell you guys how I do.

Tony

on the one hand, you despise losing,,,,yet on the other, you are,,,and to lessers.

you're not placing enough importance of one over the other. might i suggest playing every shot as if it's the last....make every shot important. maybe focusing on one shot will take your mind off everything else.

Nineballggs
05-21-2006, 06:57 AM
Excellent Question...check out www.leatherpocket.com Controversial Corner...on "Winning"...I think it will help.

cueman
05-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Playing better players will not exactly give you killer instinct. I have played solid B-level pool for many years and have jumped in most all the smaller open tour events that have come my way. I have had many road players on the ropes and let my non-killer instinct cause me to lose. I actually start thinking about how I have a job, house and plenty to eat. I know if I put them away they will struggle to have those things. I blew a 6 to 1 lead in a race to 7 Viking tour event recently. Same thing. Yeah the guy made a great come back and deserved the win once he got on his roll. But I think the mental condition of feeling sorry for them keeps me from having that killer instict. The hunger to beat a top player used to help me up my game. It still does if it is one I know does not need the money. But then there are the just under pro players that I know are struggling to make a living. Those are the ones I choke against. I would encourage you to play the tournaments that feature the top players coming through.
You will be surprised how good you really have to play to beat those guys. I once played a top local player in a tournament. This guy would have been rated a couple of balls under the Hall and Archer then. We are playing race to 9 bar table pool. I never miss one ball that I shoot directly at a pocket. I missed some kicks and combos but no regular shots. I barely win 9 to 7. I played one of the best matches of my life and it was just barely good enough to beat a lower pro level player. Glad I do have a good day job.

Williebetmore
05-21-2006, 07:41 PM
What are some things I can do to get that killer instinct?

Fan-man,
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but it's not "killer instinct" that you want.

Having had the opportunity to hang out with some of the best players on the planet; I've seen precious little "killer instinct." What I HAVE seen is a totally relentless pursuit of perfection on EVERY stroke, in EVERY situation. These pro's use the same stroke, the same pre-shot routine, the same thinking process on EVERY shot - no matter whether it is the first shot in a meaningless game with me or the last shot in the U.S. Open.

These pro's have developed a mechanically sound stroke and routine that is repeatable and pressure resistant. They excel NOT because they ramp into a killer gear when the pressure is on, they excel because they can keep an even keel and keep shooting the same DESPITE the pressure. They don't shoot better under pressure, they shoot THE SAME. We should all strive to do the same.

No one can maintain a heightened state of arousal long enough to win a long drawn out tournament. They can, however, maintain a nice even emotional state for long periods of time - the results are better. One top pro has told me that he avoids at all costs thinking about any outcomes of the shot or the match - his overriding thought at all times is "make the ball, get position", and he doesn't pull the trigger until he is sure he will deliver his absolute best stroke. He doesn't "talk himself into playing well", he uses the "mental game" not to improve his play, but rather to avoid the lowering of his game that can result from straying from the routine or thinking about outcomes. He says all you can really control is your stroke - deliver the best stroke possible and accept the outcome whatever it may be.

PoolSleuth
05-21-2006, 07:51 PM
What are some things I can do to get that killer instinct?

Join the Los Angeles Police Department, or L.A. County Sheriff Department. Ask for your Post Acadamy Assignment to be South Central L.A., or East L.A.

You will have Killer Instinct REAL FAST....;)

Scaramouche
05-22-2006, 06:50 PM
George Hincapie, who helped Lance Armstrong win the Tour de France seven consecutive years, when asked what he learned from Lance:

"The biggest thing he has taught me is than anything's possible if you never lose your focus. He had more stuff going on than anybody, but when it was time for him to focus, everything else but the bike got left behind. He could just close it all out."

luvndog
05-22-2006, 11:52 PM
I think "You are born with it"

PoolSleuth
05-23-2006, 05:00 AM

In not a Good Marine DI, acan make you a Killer...:)

chefjeff
05-23-2006, 06:32 AM

I've gotta (again) say "no!" to this. It is learned behavior, not instinct. Instinct is waaaaay overused as an excuse/cause of behavior. To use it this way is to dis the good player and limit the poorer player. Why? Because IF it is something we're born with and you don't have it, then why play at all? You can't get better and you can't win, cuz you weren't lucky enough to be born with the winning instinct. Research into psychology has shown that anyone who desires it can choose a killer attitude.

Winning attitudes are not instinct....they are learned (or ignored) at will.

Williebetmore said it best, imho, and he gets his knowledge from the pros. A guy otta look into that, imho.

Jeff Livingston