PDA

View Full Version : Odds That Bonus Ball Resumes Within 2 Months

KoolKat9Lives
07-10-2013, 02:54 PM
The title says it all. I thought about making it "odds they'll finish this first season", but I think I can guess most people would vote a low %. But feel free to comment on that also.

Let's see how good our collective crystal balls are!

I hope it does resume, that it succeeds, and they make changes that are good for the entire industry.

Give me a minute to post the poll.

Cory in DC
07-10-2013, 03:11 PM
I also hope it does.

I bought 1 week and I was close to buying the annual subscription (waiting for full iPad support, which I think they did achieve) and a set of Bonus Balls (waiting to see if the game is likely to last).

There might be a few hundred more people out there like me, but it seems like they need a few thousand. That might be a stretch.

They could cut their costs by reducing the number of teams or only having two players from each team play each week (cuts labor costs by 1/3). Small savings from getting rid of the BB girls. Squeezing vendors and the landlord might be an option.

They could also try to generate some revenue in the off nights: stream challenge matches, rent out the venue for tourneys or parties, host league teams our tournaments, etc. (This would probably only be profitable if they have the right liquor license.)

I wonder what it's worth to Rasson to get more exposure in the US, assuming they plan to enter in a big way? I suspect that many others, like me, would have never heard of Rasson if not for BB.

RobertaAgnor
07-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Not sure what's really going on but hope they make it for the players, they're the ones I care about here.

sopadre
07-10-2013, 03:18 PM
ZERO,BB has no money[broke after 2 weeks] no hope for revenue[past 4 weeks showed nobody would pay to see this"game" on the net and nobody would pay to see it in person] ZERO chance BB ever pays players or their bills.Anybody interested in BB that believes the BB bs, just give them your money to help them out and see how happy you will be in a few weeks.Wake Up. It is a complete failure and I hope the players get out before they get further damaged.

KoolKat9Lives
07-10-2013, 03:43 PM
I also hope it does.

I bought 1 week and I was close to buying the annual subscription (waiting for full iPad support, which I think they did achieve) and a set of Bonus Balls (waiting to see if the game is likely to last).

There might be a few hundred more people out there like me, but it seems like they need a few thousand. That might be a stretch.

They could cut their costs by reducing the number of teams or only having two players from each team play each week (cuts labor costs by 1/3). Small savings from getting rid of the BB girls. Squeezing vendors and the landlord might be an option.

They could also try to generate some revenue in the off nights: stream challenge matches, rent out the venue for tourneys or parties, host league teams our tournaments, etc. (This would probably only be profitable if they have the right liquor license.)

I wonder what it's worth to Rasson to get more exposure in the US, assuming they plan to enter in a big way? I suspect that many others, like me, would have never heard of Rasson if not for BB.

Some good ideas worthy of consideration Cory. Cutting the # of pros seems like a no brainer for major expense reduction. And do we really need 4 days a week of broadcast?

Renting out the joint - why not? (how many tables do they have again? Could they add more tables with a little rearranging of the furniture?)

Also, let viewers buy a daily pass for $5.

Diamond69
07-10-2013, 04:10 PM
I also hope it does.

Based on the rolls I saw and the complaints I've heard, I'll keep my league team on the crappy bar tables!! Not sure they want more exposure the way that table was rolling off.

boogeyman
07-10-2013, 04:11 PM
ZERO,BB has no money[broke after 2 weeks] no hope for revenue[past 4 weeks showed nobody would pay to see this"game" on the net and nobody would pay to see it in person] ZERO chance BB ever pays players or their bills.Anybody interested in BB that believes the BB bs, just give them your money to help them out and see how happy you will be in a few weeks.Wake Up. It is a complete failure and I hope the players get out before they get further damaged.

There you go again! Posters like sopadre chime in when the going get's tough for BB. Why not wait until things have settled a bit? We're still in the short-run with this BB. Give it a break!

boogeyman
07-10-2013, 04:13 PM
When BB succeeds I will look you up, sopadre. Then you can tell us ALL how your "0 interest" soothsaying has panned out.

BB is a business FIRST.

sharkmate
07-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Maybe they could put a few beds in a section of the arena for the players in return for their performances-would save some money. Also, put some of them to work in the production and maintenance of the facility. They could possibly create a cooperative of sorts to make it happen again-better than foreclosure on the building?:D

kolaas
07-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Voted for 40%, but my guts say the percentage is lower. Which is lame because I saw some youtube matches and REALLY enjoyed it.

To be honest when I watch 8 ball I kind of fall asleep. Because those pro's run so many tables. Mostly the difficult racks or nice run-outs are interesting to watch.
Same goes for 9-ball and 10 ball: I mostly like the racks where the players are in trouble and have to safetybattle. There is beauty in perfectly getting in line every shot, but its not very entertaining.
14.1 is an awesome game, but to me tedious to watch. The most fun element during the rack is when the rack going towards the breakshot+executed breakshot.
One pocket is an awesome game, and more fun to watch than 14.1 to me. A game can last long though.

Bonus ball took some of the entertaining elements from all disciplines and melted it into 1 game quite
It took me some time to learn it and get a bit of eye for where to go next, which balls are on, etc.. but once I got it it was fun to watch.
Players can play a high run, they have to play new strategies/the one pocket defending element and -important to me- they are sometimes forced to play crazy shots. I love seeing pro's caroming, banking, 3rail kicking! And at the same time the accuracy and consistancy stays important.

The teamplay is fun, nice combinations of players and also nice to see single players. I would like longer races too. Bustamente vs Archer, race to 11.. that would be an epic match! Unfortunatly the branding of the teams didnt really reach me, but maybe thats because I dont live in America. Perhaps it wouldve been better if they'd send National teams too. Why not have a team Phillipines, China, Holland, Germany, etc Not sure if people want to travel that far, but if they want to sign up why not? I think alot of people from those countries would spare a buck to watch their national heros play.

I had a love/hate feeling with the timer. It speeds up the game, which is good and bad. Good for watching, bad because the pros sometimes have to hurry. I also liked that they could win 'games'. Get to 30, you score the game. Times up and no one reaches 30p? Let the 'loser' make a high run to win the game. I loved seeing those shoot outs, lets see how high you can run!

----
I dont know what to do now. Unfortunatly for them I cant spare the PPV at this time. If I had the money and I knew they where in trouble (and they woudl still air) then Id buy one just to support it.
Perhaps a straw the organisation could try is: give (or sell for the factoryprice) the BB sets you have got to poolhalls. Let the people play and (hopefully) enjoy it! So much that they want to see how their favorite pro's play this game.

I do think that this game would be fun to play in your local poolhall. It's a tough game, but fun if the levels of the players are equal. Id love to snitch away the game with a shootout (although my run will probably rarely get higher than 7-8), and I will happely try trickshots if that is my only option.

Also the timer is not very suited for casual play. It would be suited if: a) you got the BB scoreboard and b) your opponent also plays BB competitively. But most of the time people dont want to rush every shot. In normal pool matches at clublevel people also respect an opponent thinking for a shot, giving it another look. I cant always come up with a good shot in 30 sec. And sometimes you got a little chat, or take a sip from the drink... Perhaps een alternative for time is to end the game after an X number of shots.

Also read somewhere that scorekeeping was not very easy. But with a good scoresheet (which should be available on the BB site) this shouldnt be a problem.

Way to long post.. off to watch a BB match :D

Check the end of this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT0NqNLkRJM#t=27m10s

Johnnyt
07-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Stick a fork in it. Johnnyt

kolaas
07-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Some good ideas worthy of consideration Cory. Cutting the # of pros seems like a no brainer for major expense reduction. And do we really need 4 days a week of broadcast?

Renting out the joint - why not? (how many tables do they have again? Could they add more tables with a little rearranging of the furniture?)

Also, let viewers buy a daily pass for $5.

Good feedback. Many people are willing to pay $5 if they can use a stream they know is safe, has good quality and is sure to work. If team China plays Im sure you'll sell a daypass or two.

kolaas
07-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Opinions about BB vary:
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/191/1/a/zzzzzzzzz_by_kolaas2006-d6cwvh0.png

sopadre
07-10-2013, 06:01 PM
When BB succeeds I will look you up, sopadre. Then you can tell us ALL how your "0 interest" soothsaying has panned out.

BB is a business FIRST.

Boogeyman,look me up in a few weeks and i will accept your admission that BB is finally dead.I totally agreed with Jay H and other pool experts who said BB was doomed from the start.The last month of problems and excuses have shown we were right.BB has done nothing from the start to show they could succeed then or in the future.If it looks like a duck,walks like a duck,quacks like a duck, it is a duck ,not a dog!! Regardless of the facts ,some people could still convince themselves it is a dog.I respect their right to believe whatever they want. Given all the facts we now know and have seen,only dreamers would believeBB will pay all their debts and come back a legit business.

Maniac
07-10-2013, 06:22 PM
I give it an even chance (coin flip).

The bigger question is: If it does start back up, how long can it last?

Maniac

Maniac
07-10-2013, 06:24 PM
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/191/1/a/zzzzzzzzz_by_kolaas2006-d6cwvh0.png

Don't these spectators look excited :rolleyes:???

Maniac

Straightpool_99
07-10-2013, 08:06 PM

justadub
07-10-2013, 09:59 PM
According to the news in the other thread, from a Scott Frost FB post they will syaty again in August.

Looks like my 20% vote was good enough :p

Cory in DC
07-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Based on the rolls I saw and the complaints I've heard, I'll keep my league team on the crappy bar tables!! Not sure they want more exposure the way that table was rolling off.

I've watched lots of BB, not all of it, and did not see the table rolling off at all. Not to say that it didn't happen in any match, but it hasn't been a consistent problem. You seem to not like BB--have you watched much of it?

The BB arena is nicer than 99.9% of league locations I've seen out there.

Diamond69
07-11-2013, 07:42 AM
I've watched lots of BB, not all of it, and did not see the table rolling off at all. Not to say that it didn't happen in any match, but it hasn't been a consistent problem. You seem to not like BB--have you watched much of it?

The BB arena is nicer than 99.9% of league locations I've seen out there.

Sorry Cory, you are incorrect. I do like BB and enjoy watching all pool matches. I hope BB succeeds for the benefit of the players involved.

I have watched several matches, many this past weekend when Atlanta tanked and also watched Miami's matches as I'm a Corey fan. On a slow roll shot by Corey it plainly rolled an inch to the left as it rolled towards the pocket.

According to Luxury (IMO, the BIGGEST BB viewer), he said the pros were complaining pretty significantly about it (To his count, 87 times).

Cory in DC
07-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Sorry Cory, you are incorrect. I do like BB and enjoy watching all pool matches. I hope BB succeeds for the benefit of the players involved.

I have watched several matches, many this past weekend when Atlanta tanked and also watched Miami's matches as I'm a Corey fan. On a slow roll shot by Corey it plainly rolled an inch to the left as it rolled towards the pocket.

According to Luxury (IMO, the BIGGEST BB viewer), he said the pros were complaining pretty significantly about it (To his count, 87 times).

Fair points. But there have not been rolls on a consistent basis on the BB table. It does happen--my Diamond developed a roll the day after being re-leveled and re-shimmed by a renown, if currently somewhat widely criticized, mechanic.

KoolKat9Lives
07-12-2013, 07:20 AM
So 20% of the vote says it's better than a coin flip. 80% says it's a coin flip or less. Tick tock, we'll find out - sooner or later!

Obama thanks you for your vote ;) :thumbup: