PDA

View Full Version : Funny tidbit I learned about snooker champ Ronnie O'Sullivan

CreeDo
09-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Credit to Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/1lxv1m/til_in_1996_snooker_player_ronnie_osullivan_was/) for this one, it's rare to see a billiards-related topic get widespread attention there.

"Ronnie O'Sullivan was brought to a disciplinary hearing
for saying he played better with his bad hand than his opponent
did with his good hand. Using his bad hand, he won 3 straight
games against a world-ranked player. The charges were dropped."

It's funny how serious they take the image of snooker over there.
His opponent actually filed a formal complaint against Ronnie
for using his off hand. I guess the theory is it gives snooker
a bad image to go easy on someone or show off.

I dunno if it was the whole match or just to reach awkward shots.
I suspect the latter. Ronnie responded by saying he played better
offhanded than his opponent did with his good hand.

How cool is it that to resolve this complaint, they arranged a special match
with him and a former world runner up, where they let his shooting ability
decide whether he was innocent or guilty of the charges?

chilli dipper
09-07-2013, 10:37 PM
it wasn't the whole match. I think ronnie was like 20 years old when this happened. he often plays left handed and usually will make 4 or 5 shots left handed and then switch back, all depends on his mood..He has has runs of over 100 playing left handed and considered a genius in the snooker world. He is also a lil flakey or has some issues.

Cameron Smith
09-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Credit to Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/1lxv1m/til_in_1996_snooker_player_ronnie_osullivan_was/) for this one, it's rare to see a billiards-related topic get widespread attention there.

"Ronnie O'Sullivan was brought to a disciplinary hearing
for saying he played better with his bad hand than his opponent
did with his good hand. Using his bad hand, he won 3 straight
games against a world-ranked player. The charges were dropped."

It's funny how serious they take the image of snooker over there.
His opponent actually filed a formal complaint against Ronnie
for using his off hand. I guess the theory is it gives snooker
a bad image to go easy on someone or show off.

I dunno if it was the whole match or just to reach awkward shots.
I suspect the latter. Ronnie responded by saying he played better
offhanded than his opponent did with his good hand.

How cool is it that to resolve this complaint, they arranged a special match
with him and a former world runner up, where they let his shooting ability
decide whether he was innocent or guilty of the charges?

It was against Alain Robidoux. The complaint was more in regards to unprofessional conduct or disrespecting the opponent, not so much any concern of playing off handed would ruin the image of snooker. I think a lot of the shots though were made after the frame was essentially won and Alain needed snookers. Now a days most of the players start playing exhibition shots after their opponent needs many snookers

pwd72s
09-07-2013, 11:25 PM
I guess it's not bragging if you can do it.

Dopc
09-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Upvote!!!!!!! Gold coming your way.....oh wrong site, sorry...

Thanks for sharing...

Dopc.

Scaramouche
09-08-2013, 02:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs-nUiRq_GE

Robidoux refused to concede even when he had no hope of winning the frame.

Dunnn51
09-08-2013, 05:15 AM
I guess the Brits do admonish "woofing" We see it as gamesmanship; they see it as unprofessional. :rolleyes:

Here's a fav of mine. Ronnie pulls a century swapping hands as if he's totally bored ! :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrfLch52g4Y&list=FLTzo8OBbNJhpgNwFIf29CZw

Petros Andrikop
09-08-2013, 05:58 AM
Years ago the great Alex Higgins was removed from professional league after showing up in a match not wearing a vest.
It is important to remember that Snooker did not evolve in a day or two but after years of professional organization in all aspects.
Carom games with much less players than both Snooker and pool has survived also due to total respect for the game.
Unfortunately pool is the only one that has failed to follow this path due to a lot of reasons..
If the overall appoach will change then pool could reach the enormous potential it has.
I wouldn't bet my money on this though...

elvicash
09-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Years ago the great Alex Higgins was removed from professional league after showing up in a match not wearing a vest.
It is important to remember that Snooker did not evolve in a day or two but after years of professional organization in all aspects.
Carom games with much less players than both Snooker and pool has survived also due to total respect for the game.
Unfortunately pool is the only one that has failed to follow this path due to a lot of reasons..
If the overall appoach will change then pool could reach the enormous potential it has.
I wouldn't bet my money on this though...

Carom is classy, they carry themselves well and they have a high quality stream a lot of the time including a ref but they do not have anymore money in their game than pool. Snooker has more money and large distribution but hard to see it in the states at least I never see it on TV.

I think it is easier to heard cats or perhaps get penguins marching in concert than it is going to be to get any sizeable population of pocket billiards primaries to agree long and work together to get up the hill to find the publics interest improve with pool and overcome past stigmas. We are behind all major sports this includes skateboarding and of course we are behind snooker and carom on the class of the game.

I still love to play so I guess that is where the sport/game will stay for me.

Pidge
09-08-2013, 07:20 AM
I think I remember the game. His opponent needed a lot of snookers and there may have just been the pink and black (maybe just the black?) left on the table...this may be just another game I'm thinking of. But yeah, how can you expect to snooker Ronnie with 3 balls on the table? He took it as a huge sign of disrespect so he started "toying" with the other guy and pretty much just messing around with his head.

We need more characters like this in snooker. We had Alex Higgins and Jimmy White but no one has really drawn in the non-snooker playing crowds since Alex was gracing the snooker scene. Sure he'd turn up drunk not wearing the correct attire, but it was great to watch.